Batman vs. Superman

313,849 Views | 2333 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Brian Earl Spilner
30_Days
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I want so badly to be excited for this movie. I'm just worried that they're doubling down on the dark/broody elements from previous DC movies to differentiate themselves from the more light-hearted Marvel movies.

I loved the Nolan Batman movies, but Man of Steel was an absolute mess. This looks like they've taken all of the memorable aspects of both and just thrown them into a blender.

I'm still hopefully though. The trailer leaves a lot out, and there's definitely some really rich story possible with this idea. They also have some very talented people working behind the camera on this film. Zach Synder is a true auteur, and has made some absolutely brilliant works of art in his career. So as long as this film is more Watchmen and less Man of Steel, it could be something really special.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
If possible, put yourself in the mindframe that someone has told you about a really cool fan film, and then watch the teaser for Bats vs. Supes. It feels like a fan film.
p-townag
AG
That's actually a really good description of it. Like a cross between a video game cut scene and a really good fan film.

The jet shooting cars randomly was weird and added nothing to the trailer. Could have been from any action movie ever made. The Batman standing and walking toward the camera looked very video gamey, as did the very digitally altered shot of the Superman statue.

The themes and conflict of BvS are much more interesting to me than Age of Ultron (oh good, even more Iron Man style fighting against hundreds of Ultron's minions that completely outnumber the Avengers yet they still win), but the execution so far is yet to be determined.
jabberwalkie09
AG
I found this on i09. There is a trailer at the link.

http://kotaku.com/lego-batman-v-superman-teaser-is-just-as-gritty-as-the-1698670425
Whos Juan
AG
So basically Superman is Dr. Manhattan and MechaBatman is stealing a page out of Lex Luthor's book and built a suit to fight Superman?
mattvswild
AG
quote:
...Age of Ultron (oh good, even more Iron Man style fighting against hundreds of Ultron's minions that completely outnumber the Avengers yet they still win)...

SPOLIER ALERT NEXT TIME PLEASE!
Aggies76
AG
Looks like another big dose of Superman as a Christ-figure (which I don't mind at all), but this time focused on his persecution.
Al Bula
AG
quote:
So basically Superman is Dr. Manhattan and MechaBatman is stealing a page out of Lex Luthor's book and built a suit to fight Superman?
kinda looks this way.

this movie does absolutely nothing for me. batman is one of my favorite characters all time but superman doesnt do it for me and ben a. as batman is still a joke. ive waited awhile to see some footage before hating on it.
TCTTS
AG
Zack Snyder just released the posters they'll be giving away at the trailer event tomorrow. Honestly, I don't quite get what they're going for, thematically...

Belton Ag
AG
I don't get what they're going for with this movie at all, not just in the poster.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
I don't get what they're going for with this movie at all, not just in the poster.
This. It just seems like it will be one giant cluster**** of story telling.
TexAgBolter
TexAgBolter
AG
TCTTS, are you from Grapevine? I just noticed your Jamie Alexander comment from the beginning of the thread.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
TCTTS, are you from Grapevine? I just noticed your Jamie Alexander comment from the beginning of the thread.

Nope, but my writing partner is. I'm from Wichita Falls, which is relatively close, I guess.
TexAgBolter
AG
Ahh, just wondering because I'm GHS class of '99 and it seems like a way above average number of people from my class went on to work (and marry well) in Hollywood. Just wondering if you were one of them.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
Zack Snyder just released the posters they'll be giving away at the trailer event tomorrow. Honestly, I don't quite get what they're going for, thematically...

So, it's like a posted bill that has been ripped away, revealing the S or the Bat beneath?
Saxsoon
AG
TC, think back to the trailer with the statue of Superman and False God graffiti'd over it. At least to me, I am seeing a defamation of the other's posters as a sign that people are taking sides in this battle of sorts and are going to go to several lengths to support their superhero at the street level and in the hearts of the populace
TCTTS
AG
quote:
TC, think back to the trailer with the statue of Superman and False God graffiti'd over it. At least to me, I am seeing a defamation of the other's posters as a sign that people are taking sides in this battle of sorts and are going to go to several lengths to support their superhero at the street level and in the hearts of the populace

Ah, that makes sense. Didn't really put much thought into it, but I like that angle, I guess.
Saxsoon
AG
I actually don't think there will be a showing of a choosing signs but more metaphorically throughout the film. I see more people being AGAINST Superman rather than FOR Batman
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
I actually don't think there will be a showing of a choosing signs but more metaphorically throughout the film. I see more people being AGAINST Superman rather than FOR Batman

Especially since nobody is supposed to know that Batman is a real thing and not just some myth of the streets.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
Ahh, just wondering because I'm GHS class of '99 and it seems like a way above average number of people from my class went on to work (and marry well) in Hollywood. Just wondering if you were one of them.

Nice. I'm class of '99 as well. What year was Jenna Dewan (Channing Tatum's wife)? I did a shoot with her years ago, and my writing partner's sister was friends with her, I think. Emily Jolley?
TexAgBolter
AG
Yep.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
The opening credits of this movie should be Ben Affleck getting up and getting ready for a day at Wayne Enterprises to Lazlo Barnes' "I'm No Superman" (the theme from Scrubs)
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
The opening credits of this movie should be Ben Affleck getting up and getting ready for a day at Wayne Enterprises to Lazlo Barnes' "I'm No Superman" (the theme from Scrubs)
Something tells me that this would be a possible social media gift if the project was run by Marvel. Not sure WB/DC has the sense of humor or marketing savvy to do this.
YouBet
AG
Everything about this seems forced.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
Everything about this seems forced.
I think in WB/DC's collective mind, they ARE being forced. I think that every move they've made implies that they feel like they're right on the cusp of irrelevance and they have no choice but to swing for the fences. They're all-in.

Put another way, I think if you strapped the Marvel/Disney execs up to a polygraph, they'd happily answer any question asked of them about the MCU. Prospects, fears, risks, doubts... everything more or less as we see it reported in the media. If you strapped in the execs from WB/DC, I think you'd find that most are very uncertain and they're blowing a lot of smoke to fans and the press. It doesn't feel like they really believe in what they're doing.
Tmoneyag99
AG
Interesting breakdown of the teaser trailer:

https://girloncomicbookworld.wordpress.com/2015/04/19/batman-v-superman-trailer-analysis-discussion-dark-thematic-and-beautiful/
TCTTS
AG
Ha, this is a first. Spy pic of the actor showing the debut pic of his character on his phone...

TCTTS
AG
(Which still looks stupid, btw.)
jabberwalkie09
AG
A white suit for the Joker? Hmmmmmmmm...................................
Sex Panther
AG
I'm really starting to hate this Leto as the Joker notion. Probably way too early for that, but all I'm doing is picturing the Joker singing terrible 30 Seconds to Mars songs and being an emo kid.
Saxsoon
AG
Damn that is hilarious
30_Days
AG
quote:
I'm really starting to hate this Leto as the Joker notion. Probably way too early for that, but all I'm doing is picturing the Joker singing terrible 30 Seconds to Mars songs and being an emo kid.
you haven't see Dallas Buyers Club I take it?

you know, the movie he won an Oscar for.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:

Something is funny about this. I'm not sure why, but it is.
Sex Panther
AG
quote:
quote:
you haven't see Dallas Buyers Club I take it?

you know, the movie he won an Oscar for.

Yes I have. He was great... Doesn't mean he's going to be good in this.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.