Batman vs. Superman

313,883 Views | 2333 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Brian Earl Spilner
M.C. Swag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
quote:
Idk, I just see ALOT of people seeing this for no other reason that to check out the new Batman. Throw in the Justice League setup excitement and a level of marketing akin to Jurassic Park or Star Wars, I feel $1b is impossible to not achieve. If it doesn't, I feel it would have to be a Green Lantern-level of dreadful.
really. no one cares about Superman.

No one.

An outdated character that cannot be related to.

The last two Superman movies did poor-to-respectable box office.

The ONLY thing interesting about this movie is what they do with Batman, and maybe the use of Wonder Woman.

Did you mean to reply to me? I didn't mention superman at all in my post. I said Batman+JL+Hype will drive revenue.

Either way, its ok if you disagree with me. We'll find out soon enough.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
quote:
quote:
HIdk, I just see ALOT of people seeing this for no other reason that to check out the new Batman. Throw in the Justice League setup excitement and a level of marketing akin to Jurassic Park or Star Wars, I feel $1b is impossible to not achieve. If it doesn't, I feel it would have to be a Green Lantern-level of dreadful.

No one.

The ONLY thing interesting about this movie is what they do with Batman, and maybe the use of Wonder Woman.

I am no one. Thanks for the clarification.
fig96
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
HIdk, I just see ALOT of people seeing this for no other reason that to check out the new Batman. Throw in the Justice League setup excitement and a level of marketing akin to Jurassic Park or Star Wars, I feel $1b is impossible to not achieve. If it doesn't, I feel it would have to be a Green Lantern-level of dreadful.

No one.

While there's certainly individuals who will have interest in Superman, I'd tend to agree that there's not nearly the hype over the character that some perceive there to be.

I'll bet on around $750-800 million in domestic box office, and anything over 1.5 billon global would be surprising. If it happens to get stellar reviews, however, then the sky's the limit, will be interesting to hear from some unbiased reviewers.
dave94
AG
The key will be whether fans like us who follow these types of films think it has rewatchability...how many of you saw Man of Steel more than once in the theater? I know I didn't nor had any desire to.
BigTimeAlum
AG
Sooo many people on this thread, and in the fan boy universe, that have invested in this movie being bad, I doubt they will be able to admit when it is good.

My thoughts. First Jesse Eisenberg is going to be awesome as Luthor. People are panning the one clip we've seen in the trailer without thinking through the way he's portayed the character in the other media released. Complete opposites. Hes going to give you the dark calculating persona that makes luthor great. Showing a different personality for the right situations.

Affleck is going to give us a batman that is at the top of his physical and mental game. The fighting visuals will be pulled out of the animated universe and we will finally see the detective in action.

We will end up loving Aquaman and wonder woman.

The flash will suck. Bringing in grant guston would have been a mic drop, but no universe is perfect.

Moral of the story is this movie is going to be great and some of you will refuse to admit it no matter what. $1.5B WILL happen.
Farmer1906
AG

quote:
Moral of the story is this movie is going to be great and some of you will refuse to admit it no matter what. $1.5B WILL happen.

Man of Steel was the #5 movie in 2013. It didn't mean it was good.
Bruce Almighty
AG
If it sucks, will you admit it?
BigTimeAlum
AG
No doubt. MoS made some bad errors and paled in comparison to the way Marvel riped their characters straight out of the comics on to the big screen. It wasn't a bad movie.... Marvel just raised the bar.

I think this will be a great correction. Too many talented people involved to really screw the pooch.
BigTimeAlum
AG
Take Antman for example. Fanboy criticism throughout the process. Not Hank Pim??... OmG!!!!!! Edgar Wright backed out????? The world is over!!! The MCU has jumped the shark! Haaaa. Look at those opening weekend numbers! I told you this would suck!!!! Article after article about failure.

And then the movie made money, and then more money, and then more money..... soon it was a success. Then all the self invested fanboys were finally able to come around to the fact that it was a really good comic book movie and Paul Rudd playing Scott Lang was the only way to bring this character to life in the self depreciating way it had to be.

Now compare that to TFA. Complete love affair from the get go. Super fun movie and infinitely better then George's abominations. But we still got a complete rehash of Episode 4 with an admittedly pretty lame enemy menace in the star killer base. Seriously? The exactly same weapon with the exact same kind of weakness?

We wanted it to be great so it was. bvS is the opposite.
Farmer1906
AG
I didn't follow Antman super close, but I never heard bad things about it when it was released. Antman was never going to have the hype of Iron Man or Captain America, but it has an 80% of RT (Actually thought it was higher) and an 87% from fans on RT. It wasn't the biggest movie ever, but it was a solid comic flick for a minor character.

Now TFA was a whole different animal. Sure there was minor complaints from some about the similar story, but everyone hyper analyzed everything about that movie. It was fantastic even with its flaws otherwise it would not have kept killer it in the box office week after week.
fig96
AG
People were surprised by Ant-Man, and pleasantly so, because it had some production issues and they weren't expecting much out of it. Then it ended up being a really fun movie.

I would love to see BvS be a fantastic movie, I'm a huge Batman fan and I don't think he's been done right yet. I don't think this is going to be the time that it happens either, but I'd be thrilled to be wrong.

The biggest question mark for me, outside of what seems like a rush to bring these characters together before establishing them, is that Snyder is a director who's capable of fantastic visuals but hasn't shown the ability to tell compelling stories. Fingers crossed that this is the film where he brings it all together.
tamusc
AG
quote:
The biggest question mark for me, outside of what seems like a rush to bring these characters together before establishing them, is that Snyder is a director who's capable of fantastic visuals but hasn't shown the ability to tell compelling stories. Fingers crossed that this is the film where he brings it all together.

This
Tmoneyag99
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

No one.

I am No One!
Vander
AG
https://open.spotify.com/album/4PAHIwIasrswKSU5KDzROJ

Soundtrack has leaked. Sounds pretty good to me.

As for fanboy culture deciding this movie will suck, I'm not surprised. A lot of Marvel guys hate DC for someone reason. The reverse is rarely true though as most DC people like Marvel too. I like both and have watched both even though I'm a pure DC guy.

I've heard from some that this movie may be as good as The Dark Knight, but we won't know for sure until the review embargo is lifted.

As for me, my greatest desire for the DC movieverse would be for them to setup a live action Kingdom Come, which is the single greatest comic book story in existence. It's a story that deconstructs comics at their core and goes into depth into a lot of the characters and their motivations. I doubt it will happen though, it's a complicated storyline with many moving parts along with a very very obvious Christian religious undertone.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Hell yes!

Playing now.
TCTTS
AG
Finally got my tickets. Next Saturday night. Can't believe this movie comes out this week. Feels like we simultaneously have three months to go and that it's been in theaters for roughly that same amount of time. Either way, after all the b*tiching and moaning the past couple years, I'm going to go on the record as saying that I think most people will end up enjoying this one. I think it'll be a combination of expectations being so low and that Luthor/the plot/whatever else won't end up being nearly ass bad or annoying as many of us are expecting. In fact, I think a lot of us will be way more excited for the DC Cinematic Universe going forward by this time next week than we are now. I could be way off, but only a few more days and we'll know for sure...
SeattleAgJr
quote:
Finally got my tickets. Next Saturday night. Can't believe this movie comes out this week. Feels like we simultaneously have three months to go and that it's been in theaters for roughly that same amount of time. Either way, after all the b*tiching and moaning the past couple years, I'm going to go on the record as saying that I think most people will end up enjoying this one. I think it'll be a combination of expectations being so low and that Luthor/the plot/whatever else won't end up being nearly ass bad or annoying as many of us are expecting. In fact, I think a lot of us will be way more excited for the DC Cinematic Universe going forward by this time next week than they are now. I could be way off, but only a few more days and we'll know for sure...
As much as I have crapped on this movie, I do actually hope it is good. I just have little faith in DC/Warner Brothers at this point.

TCTTS
AG
Well, here we go. As always, take these initial reactions with a grain of salt, as the high of being first / at the premiere almost always heightens the experience...

http://heroichollywood.com/first-fan-reactions-batman-v-superman-dawn-justice-online/
AliasMan02
AG
Fingers crossed
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
jackie childs
quote:
Sooo many people on this thread, and in the fan boy universe, that have invested in this movie being bad, I doubt they will be able to admit when it is good.

i can't say that I've read every post on this thread, but a lot of the criticism I've seen has been about how badly DC has marketed this film, which is completely fair. I've had lower expectations for this film not because I'm a fanboy, but because DC put out crappy trailers until recently. it's almost as if they were intentionally trying to set the bar so low that there's no way the actual movie wouldn't exceed expectations.

i really hope the movie is awesome and sets up a bunch of other awesome movies.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
SIAP. Saw this on the MoS blu-ray yesterday.

98Ag99Grad
AG
I just want to see the part where Batman asks Superman, "Do you bleed?" That is badass. The recent trailers have me excited for the type of Batman Affleck is playing.
fig96
AG
While I didn't love MoS, I do love the soundtrack. And that's a cool little short.

Semi-related, this is a fun watch for Superman fans, he also did a second part with Bizarro (think I've posted this before at some point).

Deputy Travis Junior
quote:

Affleck is going to give us a batman that is at the top of his physical... game.

Affleck? Batman at the top of his physical game? Huh?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Have you seen Affleck? Guy is jacked.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
i can't say that I've read every post on this thread, but a lot of the criticism I've seen has been about how badly DC has marketed this film, which is completely fair. I've had lower expectations for this film not because I'm a fanboy, but because DC put out crappy trailers until recently.
I don't think that is the only reason. Man of Steel was a pretty polarizing movie; you either loved it or hated it. There wasn't much as far as people go in between. Using MoS as their springboard, I think I can see why there are a fair amount of people skeptical as to how successful or well received this movie will be.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
I really liked MoS. I have liked much of what I have seen in the multitude of trailers for Dawn of Justice. I think Lex will be wholly different than Gene Hackman's Lex was, which will be a good thing (and I rate Hackman's Lex as one of the best villains in movie history, excepting his appearance in the woeful Superman IV). I was never one griping about Affleck's casting as Batman; I think he is going to be really good in that role. I like what I have seen of Wonder Woman. And I am beyond excited about what I think they are setting up with this movie - Darkseid.

Looks like my only opportunity to see it this weekend will be Saturday night with all the family stuff related to Good Friday and Easter.
Deputy Travis Junior
quote:
Have you seen Affleck? Guy is jacked.

You're not thinking of Cavill, right? Affleck looks good but not superhero ripped

Blanco Jimenez
AG
Got my tickets for Thursday at 9:00!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Was Bale ever bigger? Maybe for BB. But yeah Cavill is on another level. Makes sense, it's Superman.
COOL LASER FALCON
Safe to say Affleck is the biggest movie batman we have had I think.
95_Aggie
AG
also the oldest
Phat32
AG
Affleck is a full 4" taller than Bale.
AgMarauder04
AG
Snyder addressed why Grant Gustin wasnt considered for the Flash role.

"Not a good fit"

AKA...He smiles. He's not dark enough.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.