Batman vs. Superman

313,817 Views | 2333 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Brian Earl Spilner
Tmoneyag99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Desert Commando Batman
Living Legend
AG

You guys might want to check out this movie. It is Batman vs Superman from the comics.

Gigem314
AG

quote:
4) Still a little frustrated that if B and S were to actually fight; S could take B and throw him into another solar system if he really wanted to, so how is this really even a fight?

Maybe that's the point. Superman doesn't want to pick a fight. He wasn't raised that way. Remember the scene in MoS when the kids were picking on him on little Clark and wanting him to fight back, and he holds back but bends the metal fence? So perhaps Superman wants to confront Batman, who truly feels threatened by Superman and wants to destroy with everything he's got, but is simply trying to play defense?
fig96
AG
quote:

quote:
4) Still a little frustrated that if B and S were to actually fight; S could take B and throw him into another solar system if he really wanted to, so how is this really even a fight?

Maybe that's the point. Superman doesn't want to pick a fight. He wasn't raised that way. Remember the scene in MoS when the kids were picking on him on little Clark and wanting him to fight back, and he holds back but bends the metal fence? So perhaps Superman wants to confront Batman, who truly feels threatened by Superman and wants to destroy with everything he's got, but is simply trying to play defense?
Also have to consider that Batman would play on that. He's without question the more calculated of the two and would have planned for various outcomes, primarily the ones based around how he'd expect Supes to react, hold back, etc.
fig96
AG
quote:

You guys might want to check out this movie. It is Batman vs Superman from the comics.
As always, read the book
Dro07
AG
Let us also not forget that Superman can see through Batmans suite and knows his true identity
swimmerbabe11
Yeah but exposing that would just be a ick move.
Dro07
AG
well ya but maybe he is holding back on killing him because he knows his identify and has seen the good he has down for gotham as a philanthropist. Look at him kneeling to Lex he knows his place
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
Let us also not forget that Superman can see through Batmans suite and knows his true identity
And watches him jerk it.
Dro07
AG
Sea Pony 07
AG
There's probably fan fiction for that.
Tmoneyag99
AG
quote:

Unless it's made of lead.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Dro07
AG
quote:
quote:

ya but whats the fun in that? They will both find out each others identities and go from there. I say about half way through the movie when Bruce Wayne asked Lois Lane out for a date Clark will start getting suspicious.
COOL LASER FALCON
I don't think the World's Greatest Detective is going to have too much trouble cracking Superman's disguise.
30_Days
AG
I want so badly to be excited for this movie, but the trailers are just not doing it.
Tmoneyag99
AG
quote:
quote:
Agree with that 100%, but in some ways it was the grittiness of Batman that made his stories 1000x more interesting than most of Superman's.
I think he's just a more interesting character too. I can name half a dozen fantastic Batman graphic novels off the top of my head, can't think of more than a handful of Superman stories even in the same ballpark.

I realize they're trying to create a cohesive DCU, but I'd love to see a retro Superman set in the 50s or 60s. They could really play off the classic Americana aspect and do some fantastic period design of the architecture, cars, tech, etc.

Agree. Maybe that's the next reboot in 20-30 years, but I think that could be a nice period piece. Truth, Justice, and the American way. Probably too cheesy for this and future generations, but folks buy into Captain America just fine.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I know Superman Returns wasn't technically a "period" movie, but I feel like it was made to look and feel like one. One of the reasons I enjoyed that movie.
swimmerbabe11
quote:
quote:
quote:

ya but whats the fun in that? They will both find out each others identities and go from there. I say about half way through the movie when Bruce Wayne asked Lois Lane out for a date Clark will start getting suspicious.

I would absolutely LOVE if that was a subplot.

Bruce Wayne buys Daily Planet just to turn it into a TMZ style magazine, Clark Kent starts solely doing stories about what a jerk Wayne is. Somewhere Selina Kyle and Lois Lane are rolling their eyes about the whole thing.
BvS: The Passive Agressive Series.
Bruce Almighty
AG
I thought Superman Returns was better than Man of Steel.
Murder Hornet
AG
The problem with Superman Returns is the movie could not decide if it was a sequel, reboot, or a remake. The world knew about Superman but he had been missing since the events of Superman II (?). We got a bit of an origin story but it had the exact same plot as the original Donner movie.

Routh was great as Clark Kent and I enjoyed the movie all the way up until they gave Supes and Lois a kid.

While Superman has always been the light to Batman's dark, I liked the weight we got from Man of Steel. Superman wrecked an entire city and had to kill the only other living member of his society. That should set up Superman's moral compass and create some good plot points for BvS.
Farmer1906
AG
quote:
I don't think the World's Greatest Detective is going to have too much trouble cracking Superman's disguise.
What does Sherlock Holmes have to do with this?
fig96
AG
quote:
quote:
What does Sherlock Holmes have to do with this?
Bruce Almighty
AG
Because Sherlock Holmes is also Iron Man which means a Marvel/DC crossover movie!
jabberwalkie09
AG
Aggies76
AG
quote:
While Superman has always been the light to Batman's dark, I liked the weight we got from Man of Steel. Superman wrecked an entire city and had to kill the only other living member of his society. That should set up Superman's moral compass and create some good plot points for BvS.

Agree. I've always been a little put off by the critics who accuse Superman of *willfully* destroying a city. He had to take Zod out, and I imagine he heard the cries of everyone who was lost that day. Now he has to live with that. Talk about a reason to be tortured and anguished. It does set up very well for BvS. His self-defense in that hearing before Congress should be interesting. I hope there is some real dialogue in this part.
BassCowboy33
quote:
quote:

Agree. I've always been a little put off by the critics who accuse Superman of *willfully* destroying a city. He had to take Zod out, and I imagine he heard the cries of everyone who was lost that day. Now he has to live with that. Talk about a reason to be tortured and anguished. It does set up very well for BvS. His self-defense in that hearing before Congress should be interesting. I hope there is some real dialogue in this part.

People want explosions. This whole DC universe exploring the human and political consequence of things has never really been tried on a grand scale. Basically, the movie goer likes to see a city get destroyed, but we've yet to find out how they'll react when they see what happens afterwards. Death toll numbers and depression may not play well to a young crowd, especially those short attention spans (as most are). The idea of dialogue and plot being bigger than the next fight scene is foreign to many people. Personally, I welcome the darker side of heroism.
fig96
AG
quote:
I love the tone of these movies. I like the idea of exploring real world consequences for actions and exploring the human cost of these things. That's one thing about the Marvel Universe that never sat well with me: the idea that cities can be destroyed and mayhem caused, but it's all good by the next film. This seems like a much more likely reaction by the people of the world.
I feel this kind of ignores a lot of the last few films and the MCU overall. There's references to the Battle of New York in everything from Agents of SHIELD to Daredevil to Avengers. They talk about rebuilding New York in Daredevil and how it's affected real estate prices, the way Steve Rogers operates within SHIELD and the entire plot of Winter Soldier has to do with being preemptive, etc.

It may not be quite the personal exploration that BvS looks to have, but the themes are definitely there.
wangus12
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

People want explosions. This whole DC universe exploring the human and political consequence of things has never really been tried on a grand scale. Basically, the movie goer likes to see a city get destroyed, but we've yet to find out how they'll react when they see what happens afterwards. Death toll numbers and depression may not play well to a young crowd, especially those short attention spans (as most are). The idea of dialogue and plot being bigger than the next fight scene is foreign to many people. Personally, I welcome the darker side of heroism.
Nice double thread post bud
BassCowboy33
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Nice double thread post bud

It's not often that a single post can be poignant on more than one thread. I try.
jackie childs
so we're going to see bruce Wayne's parents get killed...again.

have any characters been killed on screen more than the Wayne's?
Blanco Jimenez
AG
I think it's just a flash back scene so as not to retell the whole origin story again. Looks like we might see Joker killing Robin too in one of those flashbacks.
SapperAg
AG
quote:

Token black guy in horror movies or Star Trek red shirts are the only competition.
jeffk
AG
quote:
quote:

Token black guy in horror movies or Star Trek red shirts are the only competition.

Sean Bean?
jackie childs
quote:
quote:
quote:

Sean Bean?
yeah, but I was thinking characters, not actors.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.