Batman vs. Superman

313,786 Views | 2333 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Brian Earl Spilner
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
I'd kill to be a fly on the wall at WB the next few weeks.

Dro07
AG
quote:
quote:

But our TV shows are doing so well... Whats the issue?
AgMarauder04
AG
quote:
Who?

Snyder? Tell us Snyder.
Vander
AG
The thing that sucks is that apparently the problem is almost exclusively Snyder because all of the actors did well, it's just the directorial decisions that were bad.

I wonder if the Director's cut of the movie that is 3 hours long will be a lot less disjointed. If that's the case then it's even more evidence Snyder needs to be gone.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Several of the reviewers have made a comment on the issue being foundational, being more centered around the script. While I think Snyder is probably part of the issue, from what I'm reading the issue doesn't completely lay with him.
Vander
AG
quote:
Several of the reviewers have made a comment on the issue being foundational, being more centered around the script. While I think Snyder is probably part of the issue, from what I'm reading the issue doesn't completely lay with him.
The script may seem worse than it is if a lot was cut out to get it down to under 2 and half hours. From what I have read there is a pretty significant amount that was actually cut from the theatrical cut, which may make the script and story seem disjointed and unconnected.
fig96
AG
quote:
quote:
The script may seem worse than it is if a lot was cut out to get it down to under 2 and half hours. From what I have read there is a pretty significant amount that was actually cut from the theatrical cut, which may make the script and story seem disjointed and unconnected.
If you've got a story that you need 3 hours to tell I'm thinking the issue might be pretty foundational
TCTTS
AG
He's the director. He's IN CHARGE of the script.
Dro07
AG
even from the trailer you can tell it was too much crap to put in 1 movie
Bruce Almighty
AG
WB's biggest problem is Snyder. How do you put that much trust in a guy that directed Sucker Punch? At his best, he's decent and at his worst, he's awful. I have a hard time believing they couldn't find someone better.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
He's the director. He's IN CHARGE of the script.
I'm no Hollywood insider, but wouldn't that be the writers?

How much input did Snyder have in creating the story?
TCTTS
AG
A director shapes the story, script, etc. The director and writers usually work hand in hand. Regardless, the director has final say on EVERY aspect of production, including the script. It's his job to make sure it's up to snuff. And that means challenging/motivating/helping the writers in any way he can.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
True. Just didn't realize how much Snyder was involved in the rest of the production, since he's not listed as producer.

Would you say he had as much input/control as JJ did on TFA?
TCTTS
AG
Seems about right.
Sex Panther
AG
I kinda feel bad for Snyder (as much as I can for someone who's insanely rich)

He seems like a really cool dude, and very passionate about what he does. I've enjoyed most all his work minus Sucker Punch, although it feels like there's always something missing from making his stuff great.

Kinda wished he'd have gotten over the hump with this.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Interesting. Any idea why WB won't give him a producing credit? Leaving themselves open to let him go and bring on someone else on future movies?
Blanco Jimenez
AG
Isn't his wife listed as producer?
jabberwalkie09
AG
I believe so.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Yeah, but you wonder why they don't list both, like say Nolan and his wife, or Peter Jackson and his wife.

Maybe the production co. is just under her name and I'm looking too much into it.
agmag90
quote:
Could not agree more. I say stop production on JL and get Affleck to do a solo Batman movie.
This. I'm more interested in a solo Batman movie with Affleck then building out JL.

Edit: Obviously actually seeing BvS could change my mind on this
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
A director shapes the story, script, etc. The director and writers usually work hand in hand. Regardless, the director has final say on EVERY aspect of production, including the script. It's his job to make sure it's up to snuff. And that means challenging/motivating/helping the writers in any way he can.
I guess what I didn't convey that well is that the impression is that this is a film where the studio asked this movie to be a lot more than it really ever should have been. IIRC Snyder was originally going to do a sequel to Man of Steel, and what we have been given is BvS.

So part of me is wondering if this morphed from MoS 2 into BvS at the studio's request and what we got is a movie that bridges the gap from MoS to JL but doesn't really excel in story because of that.

Does that make a little more sense?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
So part of me is wondering if this morphed from MoS 2 into BvS
This is exactly what happened, Snyder has said as much. Whether it came from studio requests or happened organically is up for debate.

I honestly would have preferred a MoS 2 that hints at Batman, or that has him show up late in the final act, than jumping into BvS right away.

If I had to guess, I'd say it turned into BvS after pressure from the studio to set up the DCU as quickly as possible. That's why I made those posts wondering why Snyder wasn't producer. I think he had less control over this project than he had on MoS.

Unfortunately, even if that was the case, all the blame will fall on Snyder.
AliasMan02
AG
I feel certain that the studio forced much of the story, Iron Man 2 style.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
I honestly would have preferred a MoS 2 that hints at Batman, or that has him show up late in the final act, than jumping into BvS right away.
I'm sure the blame will fall to Snyder as a result as well, which is a little sad because it sounds like he was put in a pretty difficult situation at the request of the studio and likely tried to make the best of it.... However correct that might or might not be.

Personally, I think they probably could have done a MoS 2 film and incorporated Batman into it and kept the BvS angle. DCAU's Superman TAS "World's Finest" could have been used as a template of sorts, and delayed the inclusion of Wonder Woman into the films. The Wonder Woman film we are getting seems like CAP 1, and in my mind it would have been perfectly acceptable to have the last little bit of WW deal with her arriving in Metropolis and meeting Superman. Just my two cents there.
fig96
AG
I don't doubt that the studio tried to force (or in this case, actually did force) into one film what should've happened across two or three.

But at some point Snyder, or someone else in creative/story, needs to say "this just isn't going to work". It floors me that they've gotten to this point without realizing that there were major issues within the movie.
fig96
AG
And if all this has you in need of some good Batman storytelling, check out the Super Heavy story arc finishing up in Batman #50 out today. These guys get it.

AGSPORTSFAN07
AG
Jeremy Jahns review
Flashdiaz
AG
quote:
Jeremy Jahns review
this should be in the other Batman\Superman that contains spoilers.
tamusc
AG
There wasn't anything in that review that wasn't in any of the trailers.

He said himself that it was his spoiler-free review.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
Flashdiaz
AG
quote:
There wasn't anything in that review that wasn't in any of the trailers.

He said himself that it was his spoiler-free review.
he mentions when the fight happens.... that's enough for me.

Like when someone told me that Sixth Sense had a twist at the end, when I saw the movie, I figured out what it was as soon as 'it' happened at the beginning of the movie.
TCTTS
AG
Yes, knowing when Batman and Superman fight in a movie called "Batman v Superman" is JUST like having the ending to The Sixth Sense spoiled.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
Rotten Tomatoes scores as of 8:45 a.m.

32%... Batman v Superman
44%... Daredevil ... The movie

Let that sink in.

Hopefully Affleck gets a chance at a solo Batman movie with a better director and script.
Simplebay
AG
Sigh. Christ.

Maybe I'll refund my ipic tickets and go watch the Aggie game
jackie childs
quote:
Rotten Tomatoes scores as of 8:45 a.m.

32%... Batman v Superman
44%... Daredevil ... The movie

Let that sink in.

Hopefully Affleck gets a chance at a solo Batman movie with a better director and script.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.