Batman vs. Superman

313,838 Views | 2333 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Brian Earl Spilner
Dro07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
wow didn't think it was going to be Daredevil bad
double aught
AG
I was hoping for a good movie, but I'm also enjoying what appears to be the beginning of quite the train wreck. Anyone else feel this way?
jackie childs
quote:
I was hoping for a good movie, but I'm also enjoying what appears to be the beginning of quite the train wreck. Anyone else feel this way?
jackie childs
actually, just wanted an excuse to post that gif.

I wouldn't say I'm enjoying the train wreck. I was hoping BvS would be good. I like Cavill and am looking forward to seeing Affleck as Batman. Plus I like movies and think it'd be great to have both DC and Marvel cranking out awesome movies.

I'm enjoying some of the fallout/reactions online from DC fanboys who hate all things Marvel and were just convinced this was going to blow Marvel out of the water.

but maybe this is what it will take to have DC get their stuff together?
fig96
AG
Yeah, I was genuinely hoping that we'd get a great movie. I'm a huge Batman fan and still haven't seen the Batfilm I want.

I do take a bit of solace in that fact that it seems like it was pretty obvious to a lot of us that this really wasn't going to work with the leadership in place, and we look to be pretty dead on correct.
TCTTS
AG
I of course would have loved nothing more than to have seen a great movie. The desire to have a memorable theatrical experience will always trump any other inclination I might have. That said, I loathe Zack Snyder's direction, I hate the uber-serious, uber-dark aesthetic of this franchise, and I find myself immensely satisfied that that tone/approach seems to be backfiring (even though being "dark" apparently seems to be the least of the movie's problems). At this point, I just want chaos. I want to see it all burn down. Wonder Woman admittedly looks pretty cool, and Suicide Squad at least has my interest piqued, but beyond those two installments, I have zero desire to see a single other movie in this proposed franchise. So, I'm rooting for disaster this weekend.

I've said it before and I'll say it again... this franchise should have been in the tone of the '09 Star Trek. Optimistic, super fun, but also just a bit more serious than Marvel. In fact, I almost wish Abrams would have taken over this franchise instead of Star Wars. Don't get me wrong, he did a hell of a job with The Force Awakens, but I do think his sensibilities would have been a better fit here than there. Rather, at the very least, maybe his storytelling abilities - or lack there of - wouldn't have been as exposed in this franchise, I think.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
quote:
At this point, I just want chaos. I want to see it all burn down...So, I'm rooting for disaster this weekend.

TCTTS:
fig96
AG
The thing with the storytelling for this franchise in particular is that there's so much great material to draw from it's tough to understand how they missed so badly.

There's dozens of fantastic Batman and Superman stories in graphic novels and collected runs of their respective comics that would make for fantastic films, and there's brilliant writers working for DC Comics now that could craft some story arcs that would make for a series of really compelling films.

Instead the choice was made to lift visual influences from Frank Miller while kinda making up the rest, and it appears to have failed miserably.
rhutton125
AG
While I am admittedly enjoying the backlash, I'm going to wait until its a ways into its box office run before I predict the demise of everything DC. It could be like Transformers, where it makes a ton of money despite its critical shortcomings.

That said, people know what they're getting with Transformers. In the last year I've seen a lot of talk about how BvS is philosophically deep, includes real-world issues, and is a kind of next-level superhero film. So being critically-panned is a bit harder to shrug off for this film than most other superhero films.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
I take no joy from this (so far assumed) failure.

I did not want this movie to be bad.

I wanted to see Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman on the same screen.

I wanted my kids to see these great characters in something they could enjoy.

I wanted to see Affleck succeed as Batman (and he still may come through this fine).

However, I do hope that the result of this is that WB/DC will take a step back and rethink their "Darker-Than-Marvel" strategy. Better products may hopefully be the result of this backlash.
TCTTS
AG
This is almost tough to watch. A British journalist asking each cast member + Snyder what they think of the negative reviews so far. Affleck's response, or lack there of, says it all...

https://uk.movies.yahoo.com/post/141606956421/henry-cavill-fan-response-to-batman-v-superman-is
jabberwalkie09
AG
His face says it all, but I feel like using a Bender meme.

Bruce Almighty
AG
He said after Daredevil, he'd never do a super hero movie again. He's probably pissed.
AggieLitigator
Critics have it at 33% but the audience had it at 74%. I'll trust the audience over the critics on the superhero movie
gougler08
AG
quote:
Critics have it at 33% but the audience had it at 74%. I'll trust the audience over the critics on the superhero movie
The audience that hasn't seen the movie yet?
AggieLitigator
quote:
quote:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/batman_v_superman_dawn_of_justice/
AggieLitigator
Only a few reviews up but they aren't bad. I'll stay optimistic. I despise sheep who follow just to follow.
fig96
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/batman_v_superman_dawn_of_justice/
The fact that they've voted on RT doesn't mean they've seen the film. There's been thousands of votes for weeks now.
fig96
AG
quote:
Only a few reviews up but they aren't bad. I'll stay optimistic. I despise sheep who follow just to follow.
There's a difference between following and being realistic. All signs point to this simply not being a well crafted film.
jackie childs
quote:
quote:
There's a difference between following and being realistic. All signs point to this simply not being a well crafted film.
i think you're both right...

this movie is apparently going to be a critical disaster and most reviews certainly indicate it's not a well crafted film.

but there are tons of people who: (a) were going to see it no matter how bad the reviews are, or (b) simply aren't as critical and will enjoy it as a "popcorn flick". there's no doubt it's going to be seen by a lot of people.

transformers 2 is a good example. critically panned...19% on RT, but 58% on RT with audiences and it made over $800mil worldwide and led to two more films. for a movie that gave us giant, alien robot testicles.
Simplebay
AG
TC is it just me or does Snyder look tired? burned out, maybe he done. Abrams...who surely burned the candle at all ends during Star Wars....never looked that tired, doing press etc.

Also, Jesse Eisenberg seems like a pretty cool guy, i hope he pulls this off.

Affleck..."i agree." man...he had a look of... i've done Gone Baby Gone, The fking Town, and Mfking Argo, even freaking Gone Girl......

nickstro66
AG
What is this becomes such a big flop that Ben Affleck decides he never wants to make superhero movies again?
Bruce Almighty
AG
quote:
Fanboys have been known to bump up the score of these movies before they even come out. There is no way over a 100,000 people have seen this already when it hasn't been released yet.
gougler08
AG
Others already beat me to the explanation, but yeah, those reviews are just fanboys pumping it up for whatever reason
jabberwalkie09
AG
Just curious, but has it been released overseas yet?
TCTTS
AG

quote:
TC is it just me or does Snyder look tired? burned out, maybe he done.

Yeah, that was my first thought. Looks like he aged 10 years over the course of production.
SeattleAgJr
quote:
What is this becomes such a big flop that Ben Affleck decides he never wants to make superhero movies again?
$15-20million to play Batman in a standalone film will help change his mind.

Dude has alimony/child support to pay to Jennifer Garner for cheating on her with the maid/nanny/whatever.
scubasteve304
AG
quote:
You mean what if he puts dis whole tawn in his reeeahvew?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Why TF do you know/care about this?
SeattleAgJr
quote:
Why TF do you know/care about this?
dude do you even grocery shop?

read the headlines in the line while granny Martinez takes forever to pull all the coupons out of her coin purse.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Affleck's the one that could really escape this movie unscathed.

People who've seen it for the most part think he was great. It's an iconic character shown to be able to survive bad movies (*cough* Batman and Robin). And I think he'd still do it, provided Snyder was locked out of the set, Affleck could direct and maybe even help write it, plus WB would probably pay him a sh*t-ton of money for it.
fig96
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
i think you're both right...

this movie is apparently going to be a critical disaster and most reviews certainly indicate it's not a well crafted film.

but there are tons of people who: (a) were going to see it no matter how bad the reviews are, or (b) simply aren't as critical and will enjoy it as a "popcorn flick". there's no doubt it's going to be seen by a lot of people.

transformers 2 is a good example. critically panned...19% on RT, but 58% on RT with audiences and it made over $800mil worldwide and led to two more films. for a movie that gave us giant, alien robot testicles.
I think that's a fair assessment.

I'm totally going to go see it in theaters, just like I have with I believe every Marvel film except maybe for Thor 2. I made it through two Transformers films in theaters before I quit those.
Bruce Almighty
AG
quote:
Just curious, but has it been released overseas yet?
No.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
quote:
This is almost tough to watch. A British journalist asking each cast member + Snyder what they think of the negative reviews so far. Affleck's response, or lack there of, says it all...

https://uk.movies.yahoo.com/post/141606956421/henry-cavill-fan-response-to-batman-v-superman-is

Man, what is the studio thinking sending them out there to an interview like that after all the negative reviews came out? You'd think the moment one of them got asked "hey, nobody likes your movie. What's up with that?" The rest would bail. But even before that, when the terrible reviews hit, press avails should have been curtailed to only the friendliest of venues.

And Snyder basically saying "I made the movie I want to watch" is part of why he's a crappy director. When making a blockbuster, you make the movie your audience wants to watch. Your audience doesn't have to be everybody, but it can't be, "Me."
oragator
Maybe I'm a mean person but I hope it bombs.
Hollywood has lost any last semblance of originality; and simply trotting out the same tired overused characters and saying "here" shouldn't net them millions in basically free money for characters they didn't even create. They should have to actually earn their money like everyone else in the creative world especially.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.