Batman vs. Superman

313,788 Views | 2333 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Brian Earl Spilner
p-townag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
"Incredibly flat."

That's exactly my reaction to everything I see from this movie. That, and the cinematography makes the whole thing look like a video game cut scene. At least Suicide Squad looks like it has some weight to it.
dave94
AG
quote:
Also I think the "no jokes" rule in place at DC had another effect. When they do try to be witty, like when Lex says "don't pick a fight with this guy," it falls incredibly flat. Like a comic who had a lousy warmup act.

And that's really the only footage we have of Eisenberg as Luthor...it's not making me optimistic about that character in this.
fig96
AG
quote:
quote:
Watched the mini-clip on Conan last night. Is anyone rooting for Superman in this movie? He seems to come off like a real a-hole "I can protect the world, but not you Batman, because you're not doing it the right way."
So like Batman in TDK?
But at least that's true to Batman's character. He's not nice, he's not likeable, he's a vigilante that people question and distrust.

I think people have it spot on that the tone of this film just seems off. Nolan's Batfilms were dark and moody and did really well and DC said "our superheroes have to be dark and moody!" without taking into account that his films were more crime dramas than superhero movies.

I'd love to see this be a great movie, but I'm just not feeling it. DC needs their Kevin Feige and they don't seem to have one, or at least haven't taken advantage of the talent they do have.

(Hint: call Paul Dini, Bruce Timm, and Scott Snyder.)
Bobcat06
AG
quote:
But at least that's true to Batman's character. He's not nice, he's not likeable, he's a vigilante that people question and distrust.

I think people have it spot on that the tone of this film just seems off. Nolan's Batfilms were dark and moody and did really well and DC said "our superheroes have to be dark and moody!" without taking into account that his films were more crime dramas than superhero movies.

I'd love to see this be a great movie, but I'm just not feeling it. DC needs their Kevin Feige and they don't seem to have one, or at least haven't taken advantage of the talent they do have.

(Hint: call Paul Dini, Bruce Timm, and Scott Snyder.)

I feel like Zach Snyder is trying to do his best Nolan impression, but that he assumed that Nolan's Batfilms were popular because they were dark-and-gritty. But Nolan's films weren't over-the-top dark, they were just darker and more realistic than the campy superhero films of the day (Raimi's Spidermans & X-Men 2/3). The realism factor goes out the door because MOS & BvS are about an omnipotent alien, besides Iron Man has taken over the mantle of the most realistic superhero franchise.
M.C. Swag
AG
Did anyone see the new clip where they used the robot batman voice for the non-robot ben affleck?! It's the scene where Batman is emerging from his crashed batmobile and Superman is just hovering on the hood and Ben asks "Do you bleed?" and it's clearly the auto-tuned robot voice and not Ben's natural bat-voice. It's so terri-bad.
GCRanger
AG
re-watched Man of Steel the other night and it kind of helped me get excited for this just for the 'splosions and stuff, but I don't think it's going to be a good movie. MoS had so much promise with the Krypton back story, emotional connection and death of his dad, struggling with becoming superman, etc. then they just ruined it with giant machines and destroying sky scrapers for the hell of it.
wangus12
AG
I want this to be good because DC has some truly awesome characters. The CW has done an excellent job at bring Arrow and the Flash to life, but the cinematic universe just seems destined to fail.
TajMaballer
AG
quote:
I want this to be good because DC has some truly awesome characters. The CW has done an excellent job at bring Arrow and the Flash to life, but the cinematic universe just seems destined to fail.
It's insane that I am more excited for Legends of Tomorrow than a Justice League movie! 2016 is crazy!
Ad Rock
Saw the preview for this, I don't understand this, aren't they supposed to be bros and on the same team with the same goal, to keep people safe?

And what the hell happened to batman he looks fat and funny this go around
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
are you a tex ags rookie or is this your first time on the Internet?
Dro07
AG
holy crap someone just crawled out of a cave. How did you manage to log on to the intranets
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Hey, there's a brand new Star Wars movie out, you should check it out. Harrison Ford is in it!
nickstro66
AG
Possible image of the Justice League has been released

http://comicbook.com/2016/01/19/possible-new-dawn-of-the-justice-league-image-shows-the-full-tea/
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
For the lazy

fig96
AG
Apparently Erza Miller has put on about 25 lbs.
Flashdiaz
AG
making aquaman a viable superhero and not a joke will be a daunting task.

Dro07
AG
You think Aquaman will be able to control Dolphins and whales?
MROD92
The cartoon version in the animate Batman adventures did a great job with Aquaman. He was angry with the upper world, also had a missing arm from previous battle
Bruce Almighty
AG
quote:
The cartoon version in the animate Batman adventures did a great job with Aquaman. He was angry with the upper world, also had a missing arm from previous battle
Not realistic. He could just summon his starfish powers and grow a new one.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:

Actually cut off his own hand on the show. It was bad ass.
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
... also had a missing arm from previous battle
Maybe he wouldn't have lost the arm if he didn't suck!!!
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
how the hell are they going to have a movie plot where all of the superfriends are needed? It's a monster who can go into outer space but also needs to be made to tell the truth but also lives underwater but also runs really fast but also is a computer but also is funding the mob in Gotham?

nickstro66
AG
The Avengers seemed pretty good at bringing it all together
AgMarauder04
AG
quote:
how the hell are they going to have a movie plot where all of the superfriends are needed? It's a monster who can go into outer space but also needs to be made to tell the truth but also lives underwater but also runs really fast but also is a computer but also is funding the mob in Gotham?

Yes.
Flashdiaz
AG
quote:
also had a missing arm from previous battle

did he swim in circles after that?
fig96
AG
quote:
The Avengers didn't have to introduce most of them in one film though.

It feels like DC is rushing this group together as they play catch up, and at this point I'm not sure that it's going to work.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
The Avengers established the parameters of what all their heroes can and can't do over the course of several films/years. Either Superman will have to be de-powered or somehow neutralized for it to make any sense for the need for Cyborg/Flash/Batman in any sort of fight like the one the avengers had in the first movie.
AgMarauder04
AG
quote:
quote:

It feels like DC is rushing this group together as they play catch up, and at this point I'm not sure that it's going to work.

This is exactly DC's problem. Marvel's slow burn and taking their time with all the heros while slowly teasing the Avengers was perfect. It's exactly how you build a world. DC saw this, said 'OH SH**' and threw stuff together to compete. It's rushed. Movie's might be ok, but it's not the purposefulness that Marvel did.

and the movies just aren't as good.
dave94
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

This is exactly DC's problem. Marvel's slow burn and taking their time with all the heros while slowly teasing the Avengers was perfect. It's exactly how you build a world. DC saw this, said 'OH SH**' and threw stuff together to compete. It's rushed. Movie's might be ok, but it's not the purposefulness that Marvel did.

I still can't believe Marvel has pulled it off to the degree that they have. And everything we're hearing out the Russo's about Civil War and Infinity sounds to be continuing that vibe.

Who would have ever thought this could be accomplished?
AgMarauder04
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I still can't believe Marvel has pulled it off to the degree that they have. And everything we're hearing out the Russo's about Civil War and Infinity sounds to be continuing that vibe.

Who would have ever thought this could be accomplished?
Disney/Marvel invested over the long term. DC was in a lose-lose scenario. They either do the same thing and take YEARS before Justice League, or rush into it in an attempt to compete. Marvel did an amazing job. Laying the foundation bit by bit was the right way to do it, imo
TajMaballer
AG
Was there anything in Man of Steel that would hint at any other characters in the universe? What was cool about Iron Man was Shield in the background and of course the epicness of Nick Fury at the end. I still get chills thinking about watching that post credit scene for the first time in theaters. There was nothing in Man of Steel (to my knowledge) that gave me a glimmer of excitement.

Also, with Marvel movies, the rewatchability is insane. Even for the "bad" ones, they are still fun to rewatch. Man of Steel, I without fail, fall asleep towards the end.

jeffk
AG
I can watch them over and over again because they have a lightheartedness to them. There's some jokes, some gags, some friendliness to the characters.

All I've seen in the DC universe (outside of Leger's Joker) is the THIS IS THE MOST SERIOUS MOVIE OF ALL TIME vibe. No laughs, no smiles, nothing but grimness.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
quote:
Was there anything in Man of Steel that would hint at any other characters in the universe? What was cool about Iron Man was Shield in the background and of course the epicness of Nick Fury at the end. I still get chills thinking about watching that post credit scene for the first time in theaters. There was nothing in Man of Steel (to my knowledge) that gave me a glimmer of excitement.

Also, with Marvel movies, the rewatchability is insane. Even for the "bad" ones, they are still fun to rewatch. Man of Steel, I without fail, fall asleep towards the end.

There was a Wayne Enterprises logo on a satellite in one scene and an empty cryopod in the Arctic kryptonian ship that suggested super girl might exist, but I think that's it.
Blanco Jimenez
AG
quote:
quote:

There was a Wayne Enterprises logo on a satellite in one scene and an empty cryopod in the Arctic kryptonian ship that suggested super girl might exist, but I think that's it.
LexCorp was on a building too. Nothing to introduce any other characters though. Just small Easter eggs to hint at a larger universe.
hurleyag
AG
Wasn't there an Aquaman insinuation when he saved the people on the oil rig?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.