Batman vs. Superman

313,823 Views | 2333 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Brian Earl Spilner
Fat Bib Fortuna
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
id trade this whole dog and pony show in for a Man of Steel prequel featuring Russell Crowe as Jor El in a heartbeat. That first 20 minutes of MoS is still my favorite thing about any super hero movie of the last 20 years save for The Dark Knight.
TCTTS
AG
^ This.
COOL LASER FALCON
Sounds like someone just finished Arkham Knight
AliasMan02
AG
quote:

Not totally, don't you dare spoil anything.
Sex Panther
AG
quote:

I'm not even really that into video games, but man I ate the Arkham games up
Knife_Party
I believe we're supposed to get some shmancy trailer during Kimmel tonight.
Simplebay
AG
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
wow, exclusive and worldwide, they're really being extra awesome.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Let's see what they've got.

Excited.

Edit: Just noticed the time. 9 pm PT? Really? Making east coasters stay up till midnight?
Aggie_Journalist
AG
quote:
wow, exclusive and worldwide, they're really being extra awesome.

Wish I had the laugh/cry emoticon for this.

Is that image even real? If so, then once again WB/DC has tried so hard to seem cool, it ended up being dumb.
Tmoneyag99
AG
Maybe Jimmy Kimmel wasn't the best platform to debut a trailer, because it felt like a joke especially with the cheesy Clark Kent meets Bruce Wayne but at the beginning. I want to like this movie badly.
Simplebay
AG
Christ this is a dumpster fire. What the hell is Eisenberg doing? Overact much?

I will say, I love almost everything about Affleck in this. What I thought I'd hate I love, and what I expected to love, I hate.

rhutton125
AG
Wow I am seriously underwhelmed. That trailer gives away the whole damn movie too.

I hate everything about Eisenberg
Sbisa04
AG
Yeah Affleck seems like a good fit here but man this just looks messy.
dave94
AG
Eisenberg's Luthor is just wrong.

And wtf is up with that sh*tty music???
Simplebay
AG
Doomsday looks like ed Norton's abomination. The CG isn't great overall. Amy McAdams looks fat. Wonder Woman is an afterthought.

Jeremy Irons as Alfred is a win. The references and history of Gotham is a win. And everything about Affleck I now believe will have us clamoring for his Batman standalone movie of detective, dirty, crime ridden Gothic Gotham.

Other than that, this will not be a decent movie. They took a step back revealing the whole damn plot too.
nickstro66
AG
I'm more impressed by the Civil War trailer, but this was still pretty good. I'm sure there are still a lot of things that we haven't seen. I also have faith that Eisenberg will do a great job playing Lex Luthor's son .
Sex Panther
AG
Have to say, Affleck actually looks pretty awesome here...

Everything else... I don't know. CGI looked bad, and I'm definitely not sure about Eisenberg and this depiction of Luthor. Although I'll try and stay open minded.
p-townag
AG
Didn't hate it, and Affleck was pretty money, but:

- seemed very "cartoony" with all the CGI (unimpressive CGI at that) and obvious green screen sets. Makes me miss Nolan's on-location shooting.

- Jesse Eisenberg's weird portrayal of Lex didn't seem to fit

- Doomsday's intro was kind of a dud. Great, another drawn out CGI fight sequence

- Agree with posters above; the trailer seemed to give the whole movie away
Sex Panther
AG
Eisenberg seems like he's channeling Jim Carrey's Riddler
Nonregdrummer09
AG
Wow. This movie looks like Batman Forever quality.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Something off about that trailer, not sure what. But my excitement level is way down.
TajMaballer
AG
I can't believe I was more impressed with King Shark on a CW budget than I was with Doomsday on a movie budget... I will be seeing this movie with low low low expectations.
AliasMan02
AG
Doomsday and the WW intro fell waaaaaay flat.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Ive kind of been dreading this trailer. Because I really like Bats and Supes.

Positives

• Affleck makes an awesome Bruce Wayne.
  • Lex's Asian scientist lady is hot.
  • Wonder Woman is hot.
  • Great line about freaks dressed up like clowns.

Negatives

• Clark Kent's hard-hitting questions at a party.
  • Facebook Luthor
  • Doomsday looks way too much like the bad guy from Norton's Hulk
  • Batman is shooting a gun.
  • Batman's reaction to Doomsday is to duck.
  • Batman is shooting a gun.
  • Bruce Wayne is mad about Superman destroying a city fighting Zod; then is shown attacking Superman with his super-duper flying plane over a city.
  • Clark Kent has no idea who Bruce Wayne is, even though he works for a huge newspaper, Wayne is a leading industrialist in a city 50 FEET AWAY and Clark is also actually a deity-level superhero who appears to know what is going on everywhere all the time.
  • They still think Amy Adams needs to be in this movie.
  • I didn't see Morpheus anywhere.
  • Superman broke Zod's neck in the last movie. Doomsday is a re-animated version of Zod. What possible enhancements could Facebook Lex add to that body to make it too tough for Superman now? The whole point of Doomsday is that he's from god knows where and he's made of god knows what. Superman knows the extent of his powers necessary to defeat Zod. When comic book Supes fought Doomsday, a lot of the tension was him opening up the full power of his powers, not to turning to help from two of his new super friends (I know you liked that).
  • I didn't see AquaDrogo anywhere.
  • Only a butler can see how stupid it is for Batman to try to fight Superman.

TCTTS
AG
Saying nothing of the movie itself, that is legitimately one of the worst blockbuster trailers I've ever seen. I'm not exaggerating. It's like these tone deaf little half-scenes horribly spliced among utterly bland/generic trailer montages. No consistent flow, with absolutely no sense of pacing or build. Warner Bros. entire future is riding on this movie, and that's the big trailer they chose to release over the holidays / in front of Star Wars??? I'm honestly in shock at how bad that was, and how little WB seems to be trying, creatively speaking, with the marketing here. Nothing about this comes across as fresh or interesting.

As for the actual content, I'm on the same basic page as the general sentiments above. Affleck might very well be great, Eisenberg's Luthor is way worse than I was expecting, and Doomsday / the overall CGI is pretty terrible (and remember, this movie is already 100% locked/complete - there's no more effects work to be done). I've been half-defending / holding out hope for this movie throughout all the bad buzz, but this totally turned me. WB legit has their head up their ass.
Sex Panther
AG

quote:
Warner Bros. entire future is riding on this movie,

I was wondering this too TC... Now, for all we know, it could end up being great...

But what if this movie is a disaster?? It'll make money sure, but what if it underperforms like MoS? Or what if it flat out bombs because it's just really, really bad?

What does DC/WB do?? They have so much riding on this. How many other movies are they planning to spin off from this?

I think if I were a studio head or producer behind this I'd probably be losing my mind from lack of sleep and anxiety.
Simplebay
AG
I am actually looking forward to Suicide Squad more now
jabberwalkie09
AG
Doomsday reminded me of a mutated Ninja Turtle, one of the new ones.

This movie comes across as being confusing as hell. Ok so I get the basic idea that Batman wants to reel in Superman but I don't get how Wonder Woman, Lex, and Doomsday are all supposed to fit in together in one film. Probably still going to see it, but I'm at the point now that I just am expecting this to be a complete mess.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
i believe we were told in a magazine that Facebook Lex is actually Lex Luthor Jr., so perhaps old man Luthor died in the battle between Supes and Zod, and he's got a grudge, much the same way Batman does. Think there's also a rumor that Lex potentially has Aquaman and Flash locked up. So my guess, and I'm sad that this is my guess, is that Batman, equipped with some Lex-tech, is option 1 for killing Superman, and Doomsday, perhaps imbibed with powers taken from Flash (speed) and Aquaman (exquisite taste in where to find fresh seafood) is Option 2.

Wonder woman's role still makes no sense. I guess maybe the chick council of Themsycra o wahtever it's called decide to send her to investige supes and see if he's a threat? I realize I just dont care.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
quote:
Warner Bros. entire future is riding on this movie,

I was wondering this too TC... Now, for all we know, it could end up being great...

But what if this movie is a disaster?? It'll make money sure, but what if it underperforms like MoS? Or what if it flat out bombs because it's just really, really bad?

What does DC/WB do?? They have so much riding on this. How many other movies are they planning to spin off from this?

I think if I were a studio head or producer behind this I'd probably be losing my mind from lack of sleep and anxiety.

I'm with you. I'll reserve judgement until the final product. There's a lot I still like about this movie conceptually, so we'll see. That said, the fact that this trailer is already getting universally panned, combined with the fact that the movie itself comes out smack dab in the wake of Star Wars and the build up to Civil War (just five weeks later), we could very well be looking at an unprecedented disaster. It'll at least make its money back, but I honestly don't know what they'll do if people legit hate this movie.

Here's WB's current DC slate, post BvS...

2016 - Suicide Squad (in post-production)
2017 - Wonder Woman (currently filming)
2017 - Justice League: Part 1 (in pre-production)
2018 - The Flash (director attached, being written/cast)
2018 - Aquaman (director attached, being written/cast)
2019 - Shazam
2019 - Justice League: Part 2
2020 - Cyborg
2020 - Green Lantern
TBA - The Batman

That's at least TEN other mega-budget blockbusters riding on the success of this movie. That's just mind boggling. If BvS even does MoS numbers, though, I think they'll be fine. We're AT LEAST getting everything up to the first Justice League movie, no matter what happens with this one. And you know what, if this does bomb, I could see them scrambling to rework JLP1 into the finale and just scrapping everything else completely. Or, actually, going all in on the solo Batfleck movies. In fact, that would probably be my guess. JLP1 is absolutely happening, but I could definitely see them scrapping everything after and instead pivoting directly to solo Batman movies in this universe. Seems like that'd be the smartest way to try and salvage a BvS disaster.
TajMaballer
AG
I want a gif of Cap and Bucky beating the **** out of Doomsday now
TCTTS
AG
Prediction: Captain America: Civil War will be the final, most highly anticipated superhero movie of this era. No other comic book movie after will make more money. Instead, the genre will see a slow and steady decline from next year on. I'm not saying Civil War will be the highest grossing comic book movie ever -- rather, if you were to chart superhero movie anticipation/fatigue on a graph, Civil War will likely be the final upwards spike, and everything after will be a very gradual simmering down, if that makes sense. Your Black Panthers and Doctor Stranges will do great, no doubt, but none will reach the heights of anticipation and success of Civil War.

I don't mean to speak hyperbolically in reaction to the BvS trailer tonight - I've had this theory well before I saw it - but I really do believe BvS is the beginning of the end for comic book movies. Granted, the "end" is still years away, but I feel like the pendulum is about to start swinging the other way, and this is the movie that finally causes that. I mean, the culmination of the two mega superhero franchises - both of which coincidentally have the heroes finally squaring off against each other - come out with in six weeks of each other. And it's all finally, truly starting to feel like too much, all at the exact same time.

If not a couple of years before, I think by 2020 the cinematic superhero genre will have long since worn out its welcome. It'll have had a phenomenal 20-year run (starting with X-Men in 2000), but I can already start to feel the unrest and fatigue boiling, and by the end of the decade audiences are going to move onto whatever the next big blockbuster trend is. Just remember... tonight was the first legit twinge.
Sex Panther
AG
I agree with your sentiment for the most part, but I have a feeling the Infinity War movies are gonna be pretty huge.

But yeah, eventually the bubble will burst... It'll be funny if 50 years from now Turner Classic Movies will be overrun with superhero movies the way it is with Westerns now.
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, I think the Infinity War movies will be like the last gasp death rattle. A MASSIVELY lucrative death rattle that may very well make for awesome cinema, but after those, I think we'll be spent. And really, those feel like the perfect ending to this era. We'll be sick and tired of superhero movies by then (if not already), but I could see those movies at least ending the era on a relatively high/fond note.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.