Batman vs. Superman

313,800 Views | 2333 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Brian Earl Spilner
israeliag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Well I'm dumb, I clearly missed the judicial implications of Batman v Superman... With that view in mind, I gotta say: the title COMPLETELY works for me now.

I'm definitely the only person excited for this movie, but then again I've already proclaimed I'm dumb. Regardless of my intelligence level, what's not to like about a theme of a Batman/Superman movie being their differing ideas around justice and bringing villains to justice, especially since they are both good-guys? Superman will, and did kill his adversary, whereas Batman won't.
Red Five
AG
The conflict may be a philosophical one instead of physical. I'm not the most avid reader of DC comics in general, but I have read a decent amount of Batman. It the Batman books whenever Superman shows up its usually done in a way to show the contrast between the two and is also reflected in their cities. Metropolis is the shining, golden city and Superman is the Protector who is admired and loved. Gotham is the dark, corrupt cesspool and Batman is the Vigilante who is mostly feared and hated. The two are allies but there is an uneasy tension where Superman things Batman goes to far and Batman thinks Superman has it too easy. In the Dark Knight Returns Superman is also the governments secret weapon if Batman ever goes too far over the line, they turn Superman loose to bring him in. Batman of course knows this and always has a contingency plan ready in case Superman ever comes after him.

Again, this is just the impression I get from various Batman stories I have read. I'm far from the authority on Superman, Batman and DC comics in general.
Seven Psycho Ags
I wonder if Batman will throw Lois Lane off a building like he did in Hush
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
I am okay with the title. Obviously they are hinting at the Justice League. Why did people not complain about the title "Captain America: The First Avenger"? It is obviously leading into the Avengers.

It was called that because in many markets it was just called "The First Avenger," as well as the fact that not everyone knows who Cap is, so they directly tied it in with Avengers, which was next up on the schedule.
AliasMan02
AG
There are other things that could be explored. In many stories, Batman is shown to never REALLY trust Superman due to his alien origin. I think there was talk at one point that the Justice League in the movie would be built without Superman, as a defense against him. Obviously that's off the table now.

Once thing is for sure: there will be physical confrontation. There has to be. Hell, when they announced, they used Batman's speech about defeating Superman.
fig96
AG
I've always thought this summarized their relationship well (though it's an alternate world comic so the story overall is a bit odd).

Red Five
AG
These images from Hush are the most obvious examples of the dichotomy between Batman and Superman to me, specifically with the use of color.

Bruce Almighty
AG
Can't post the pic right now, but there is an image posted on twitter by cinematographer Larry Fong with a block of foam with a playing card embedded into it. May not mean anything, but could mean the Joker could have some kind of role in the movie.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
Can't post the pic right now, but there is an image posted on twitter by cinematographer Larry Fong with a block of foam with a playing card embedded into it. May not mean anything, but could mean the Joker could have some kind of role in the movie.

The more the merrier!
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
maybe it's a charity boxing match: superman v. batman, like the time superman fought muhammad ali.
Simplebay
AG
Bruce Almighty
AG
Thanks! That's the pic. Maybe Gambit is crossing over to DC.

[This message has been edited by MarkoRamius (edited 5/22/2014 3:41p).]
AliasMan02
AG
They should make Joker the villain, but give him Gambit's exact powers and Cajun accent.
Gradin
AG
The card may not necessarily be teasing Joker. What happens if it is teasing the Royal Flush gang?
BarryProfit
Batman would be way more fun to party with, I bet he knows where to get the good sheet. Although I bet he's a mean drunk and gets all whacked out when he's geeked up.

Superman is probably a lightweight that drinks mich ultra and takes lemon drop shots and sings karaoke until he gets annoying and wasted at like 9:30pm.
MW03
AG
Superman probably can't get drunk unless it's like Kryptonian tequila.

Batman probably has insane tolerance cause you know Bruce Wayne puts down. Or he's got a pill that he developed that won't let him metabolize alcohol.
israeliag
AG
Let's see... parents murder in front of your eyes? Yeah, he drunk. Definitely an angry drunk.
Seven Psycho Ags
He was a drinker in The Dark Knight Returns.

And Superman drinks beer while watching football according to Man of Steel, because he's American as ****.
Murder Hornet
AG
Red Five - I like the theory but here is my problem with it: their Superman hasn't become the shining city's hero yet. The last time we saw him he basically destroyed Metropolis and killed a villain.

IMO there needed to be at least one more stand alone Suoerman movie to show the transition from Man of Steel Superman to the traditional Boy Scout Superman. Then we would have had a full character arc.

Instead, DC/WB has been getting their ass kicked by Marvel so they tossed Batman (their only successful property) into the movie and now have rushed the Justice League movie.

I'm excited for this movie but it's more of a Transformers excited vs a Nolan Batman excited
AliasMan02
AG
Marvel (via Fox) put another nail in the DC coffin tonight with DOFP. Fantastic.
TCTTS
AG

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=101770
israeliag
AG
Looks closer to Tesla than to Google.

That said, I've always thought Elon Musk could be a Lex Luthor.
AliasMan02
AG
Who is ready for this string of hilariously bad, yet unachievable, ideas?

http://screenrant.com/warner-bros-dc-movie-schedule-justice-league-shazam-flash-green-lantern/

quote:
After all, we’d previously heard that the studio was busy planning 11 different DC film projects:

May 2016 – Batman v Superman
July 2016 – Shazam
Xmas 2016 – Sandman
May 2017 – Justice League
July 2017 – Wonder Woman
Xmas 2017 – Flash and Green Lantern team-up
May 2018 – Man Of Steel 2

LOLOLOLOLOLOL

There is no effing way this even comes close to happening. WTF is DC thinking, if true? Shazam in two years, which isn't even in any sort production? No solo Batman? And how many movies is Cavill signed for? They're going to use him up by 2018.

What a disaster.
Nonregdrummer09
AG
I agree, if this is indeed announced no way they keep to this schedule.
Bobcat06
AG
Dwayne Johnson/The Rock has hinted that he's in talks with DC to play Shazam. They may be a lot closer to production than most people think
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
Dwayne Johnson/The Rock has hinted that he's in talks with DC to play Shazam. They may be a lot closer to production than most people think

Maybe, but all indications are that anything happening with that has stopped. Could be going on behind closed doors, though.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Jason Momoa cast as Aquaman? http://www.hitfix.com/motion-captured/jason-momoa-will-play-aquaman-in-dawn-of-justice-and-we-know-how-it-will-happen

Jason Momoa would make a great hero (a great Shazam even), but Aquaman? I don't know.
Sex Panther
AG
Vinnie Chase or get the **** out
Sex Panther
AG
But seriously? ****ing Aquaman? DC is going to embarrass themselves so bad. I hate that Batman has to be a part of this trainwreck.
FL_Ag1998
AG
quote:
But seriously? ****ing Aquaman? DC is going to embarrass themselves so bad. I hate that Batman has to be a part of this trainwreck.

Pretty good summation, I think.
TCTTS
AG
If not a horrible piece of crap, this movie is just going to be really, really weird. Either way, the last thing I want to see introduced in this world these filmmakers have already established is a species of man or mermen or whatever living in the Indian f-ing Ocean. That's so incredibly dumb.

Also, I wouldn't put much stock in that schedule a few posts up. A number of in-the-know people have explained how it's basically logistically impossible to pull off, for a number of reasons. That may be WB's general plan, but not in that time span. I'll put it this way; I've been entering in all the release info/listings for my new site this past week, and I'm not including the vast majority of those. Let's wait 'til Comic-Con here in a few weeks for WB themselves to lay out exactly what they're planning.

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 6/14/2014 12:12p).]
Sex Panther
AG
Speaking of The Projection List, what's the latest update TC?
TCTTS
AG
In fact, here's Drew's take at HitFix's (same guy who broke the Aquaman story) as to why that schedule is most likely bunk...

http://www.hitfix.com/motion-captured/we-dig-deeper-into-the-rumored-schedule-of-warner-bros-superhero-films-through-summer-2018
TCTTS
AG
quote:
Speaking of The Projection List, what's the latest update TC?

At the earliest, we're now aiming for a Tuesday, July 8 launch. If not then, hopefully the week after. I had some art commissioned for the landing page, and then added a couple more functionality options to the site itself, so that backed things up a bit.

The site is basically built, we're just implementing the last bit of functionality, working through all the bugs, and then I have to finish entering in all the release info. I should finish the bulk of the Theatrical listings next week, then it'll probably take me another week and half or so to finish all the other sections. Don't want to launch the week of July 4th, so, if it's ready, I'll launch the week after. And that's if everything goes smoothly between now and then, so we'll see.

Either way, can't wait for everyone to start using it. I'm over-the-moon so far with how it's turned out.
TajMaballer
AG
Good stuff TC! Can't wait!

On the Aquaman/Jason Momoa stuff, I like Aquaman (started reading the new 52 version, pretty good considering I always thought of Aquaman as a joke) and think Momoa could pull it off. Then again, I don't know what direction Snyder will want to take with the character (new 52 starts him out as a joke and he builds their confidence in him), so who knows.

I'm interested to see how comic con goes for WB. Hopefully they present a more realistic timeline than the rumored one posted above. Anybody going to comic con this year?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.