Batman vs. Superman

313,785 Views | 2333 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Brian Earl Spilner
nickstro66
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm guessing you didn't read my question well enough
Bruce Almighty
AG
quote:
Any speculation as to why Superman would hate Batman? I'm having trouble figuring that out.

Probably because Batman wants to take him down.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Don't think so, I'd say that the trailer gives enough cause for Batman to disagree with Superman. Whether he hates him or not is your personal interpretation of it. I'd tend to believe that he just disagrees with Superman being as powerful as he is without having anything to balance him, which to a degree is somewhat hypocritical of Bruce since he is a vigilante himself but at this point in time in the DC films there isn't anyone really running around (that we know of right now) with the amount of power that Clark/Superman has.
Muy
AG
I'm pumped about this movie regardless of how perfect it fits who these characters are supposed to be.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Batman's point is what makes the graphic novel Red Son so compelling - Superman is an alien, what right does he have to come here and dictate how things go, even in the interest of making everyone safer.

Take him out of the equation, and yes those guys on the oil rig die and planes crash, etc., but also zod and the super soliders don't show up to destroy a huge city and kill thousands of people.

If Superman wanted to play by earth's rules, he should be willing to show up only when absolutely necessary - asteroid going to hit the planet, aliens attack, etc. Putting out fires and saving cats from trees is nice, but he can't do it for everyone all at once. Hey Superman, I got sick and missed work, pay my mortgage! Hey Superman, this guy keyed my car, light him up! The only thing Superman did in MoS was save us from aliens who wouldn't have ever come to Earth if it wasn't for Superman.

If two aliens appeared in my neighborhood, had a huge fight, burned my house down and destroyed my car, I wouldn't go to the victorious one and say, "hey thanks for saving us from the other alien"; I'd ask him what the hell is he going to do about my house.
rhutton125
AG
The point in Superman's favor though is that he was living among you, raised as a human. For 30 years he's been playing by Earth's rules, so to speak. So in your scenario perhaps the victorious alien was your neighbor, who unbeknownst to you had been protecting you for the past several years. Also he can probably help you build a new house maybe? /shrug
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Every new line I hear from Eisenberg's Lex Luthor is worse than the last. That latest trailer had him utter "The red capes are coming! The red capes are coming!"

Sadly, he may be the weakest link in this whole thing....
Bobcat06
AG
quote:
The point in Superman's favor though is that he was living among you, raised as a human. For 30 years he's been playing by Earth's rules, so to speak. So in your scenario perhaps the victorious alien was your neighbor, who unbeknownst to you had been protecting you for the past several years. Also he can probably help you build a new house maybe? /shrug
The counter to that is no one knew he was living among us for 30 years. He didn't show up until cities started getting destroyed.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
quote:
But if that 1% means Superman wipes out the human race, do you take that chance?

If there's a 1% chance an American president or Russian leader might someday decide to launch nukes, does that mean every leader of those two countries must be destroyed?

Batman doesn't even talk about destroying the Joker. He talks about capturing him and bringing him to justice, and we know the joker loves nothing more than randomly killing people. The language in what we've seen of this movie is just so over the top it's ridiculous.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
Aggie_Journalist
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Saw saw something posted of Batman surveying a debris field overlooking the ruins of Metropolis with a giant omega sign carved into the earth. Sign of Darkseid either appearing or being hinted at in this movie?

I am looking forward to this but I really wish DC would have followed the Marvel approach, bringing out individual character movies before doing the big team-up story while hinting along the way of the big badass who will be coming for them later. This just seems far too quick to get to a villain like Darkseid.
wanewman
The Darkseid moment is going to be a dream/ vision sequence.
wanewman
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
I've done a 180 on my anticipation for this movie now that I know that former Texans' legend Ahman Green has been cast as Thug #2.

http://www.omaha.com/go/ahman-green-s-going-to-be-in-the-new-batman/article_87cdbd7a-0545-11e5-830c-f33c27f8777c.html
SwigAg11
AG
quote:
The Darkseid moment is going to be a dream/ vision sequence.
Tmoneyag99
AG
In case you missed the Super Bowl 50 ads for Turkish Airlines: flights to Gotham City and Metropolis are now available.

Gotham City version

Metropolis version
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Eisenberg as Luthor is making a movie I already doubt look vastly worse.
AliasMan02
AG
I dread whatever scene they fabricate to make him go bald on screen.
Dro07
AG
So he is Lex Luthor and not his son after all?
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
I thought about looking it up then realized I just don't care if he is Lex or not. I did read a potential spoiler about another villain that made me roll my eyes though.

Satellite of Love
Fat batman!
Aggie_Journalist
AG
quote:
In case you missed the Super Bowl 50 ads for Turkish Airlines: flights to Gotham City and Metropolis are now available.

Gotham City version

Metropolis version

Fun fact: There is a city in Turkey named "Batman." It rests along the Batman River and is home to the Batman Air Force base. The city government tried to sue Chris Nolan over using the "Batman" name, but the lawsuit didn't go anywhere.
jeffk
AG
quote:
Fat batman!

Bat fatman?
TCTTS
AG
Ha, a text I literally just got from a friend. I can't tell you how many people have asked me this same basic question over the past few months...

MooreTrucker
AG
They're not doing a good explanation of the backstory in the trailers, and if somebody like that didn't see MOS they don't get it.

I personally am looking forward to it. But I'm pretty simple-minded when it comes to movies. I usually don't overthink things too much, just go to have a good time.
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, they really, really need to emphasize Wayne witnessing the Superman/Zod fight from the last movie. That's the whole set-up, and explains things perfectly. That should have been the first teaser trailer. Just reshowing us parts of that fight, and then revealing at the end that Wayne was witnessing/at ground zero for the whole thing, is pissed now, etc. That's all they had to do, instead of just showing a couple quick clips in the trailers now. As is, it's hard to even tell that was the same fight.
Flashdiaz
AG
quote:
Ha, a text I literally just got from a friend. I can't tell you how many people have asked me this same basic question over the past few months...

Just tell them it's a romantic comedy and they're fighting over wonder woman.
fig96
AG
quote:

Same here. And it's one your average moviegoer is going to have that, as mentioned, hasn't been answered well in the marketing.
TajMaballer
AG
quote:
quote:

Just tell them it's a romantic comedy and they're fighting over wonder woman.
So Batman and Robin??
Credible Source
AG
How are we supposed to ignore the fact that superman could pull batman apart in under 4 seconds? Is Batman going to rich guy gadget his way around super man's infinite power?
AGSPORTSFAN07
AG
DC is just gonna make their version of the Hulkbuster.
Dro07
AG
quote:
How are we supposed to ignore the fact that superman could pull batman apart in under 4 seconds? Is Batman going to rich guy gadget his way around super man's infinite power?

*cough* kryptonite ring *cough*
TCTTS
AG
Granted, in the latest trailer, during their fight, Superman says to Batman, "Stay down. If I wanted it, you'd be dead already." So it's more like Superman is having to deal with an annoying kid brother, one he doesn't really want to kill. In that sense, I get it, and it makes it more believable. In fact, on paper, this movie seems to legitimately feature quite a few little clever explanations/motivations like that. Again, the set-up is pretty genius; the way they've incorporated the biggest critique of Man of Steel into the narrative, and basically made Batman an audience/critic surrogate. That's brilliant. And Lex as a tech savvy, Zuckerberg CEO type is a really cool angle as well. On paper. It's just the execution of these elements - from what we've seen in the trailers - that seems to be missing the mark.

If anything, let this be a prime example as to what happens when you start marketing a movie too early. For all its uncertainties, it feels like this movie came out months ago. We've been talking about the various trailers FOREVER, never mind the MONTHS of pouring over set photos and early official stills prior. It's one thing when your movie is marketed as brilliantly as The Force Awakens, and features such an infectuous sense of mystery, adventure, and optimism. But for something as dreary, heavy-handed, and uber serious as BvS, less is definitely more. I feel like I'm being beaten over the head with every new trailer and commercial, going all the way back to April of last year. I just honestly, truly don't care anymore. I don't care if this movie is bad, I don't care if it's good. I'm simply numb to the experience as a whole.
evan_aggie
AG
Shut your eyes and say La La La La La next time a trailer exceeds your threshold.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.