Batman vs. Superman

313,789 Views | 2333 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Brian Earl Spilner
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
34 reviews so far, 41% at RT...

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/batman_v_superman_dawn_of_justice/
BigTimeAlum
AG
Snyder's comments today on why Grant Guston didnt "fit" as the Flash proves he has no idea how to bring these characters to the screen.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
quote:
So I guess TC's insider friend at WB didn't quite pan out?
And yet, I said over and over to take their reaction with a grain of salt because they're heavily involved with the movie.

AgMarauder04
AG
quote:
Snyder's comments today on why Grant Guston didnt "fit" as the Flash proves he has no idea how to bring these characters to the screen.

Those comments were bunk. Gustin is a great flash. Fun and optimistic, with a boyish charm. We get it, everything has to be dark and gritty. Enough of that BS.
MooreTrucker
AG
So then what's the deal with all those Twitters that came out earlier about how great it was, best CBM ever, etc.?
Blanco Jimenez
AG
quote:
So then what's the deal with all those Twitters that came out earlier about how great it was, best CBM ever, etc.?

Those were fan reactions.
MooreTrucker
AG
quote:
quote:

Well, I tend to put more stock in fan reactions than critics anyway. More real, less pretentious to me.
TCTTS
AG
Fan reactions from the premiere are always, without fail, insanely positive. The Amazing Spider-Man 2, Tron Legacy, Man of Steel, Fantastic Four... they all went down that way. There's something about being "first," combined with the high of being at the premiere, that just completely clouds people's judgement.
Bruce Almighty
AG
It's like Comic Con. I saw the first episode of Once Upon a Time and people acted like it was Breaking Bad level good. It's a big party and people over inflate how good it is.
Sex Panther
AG
I saw Lets Be Cops at a special advanced screening at the Alamo Drafthouse with a packed, enthusiastic house, and the cast of the movie doing a Q&A afterwards...

Everyone (myself included) would've told you afterwards it was the funniest movie of the year.
Blanco Jimenez
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Well, I tend to put more stock in fan reactions than critics anyway. More real, less pretentious to me.

That's how I feel too. I'm too big of a fan of these characters to watch it objectively anyway. If it's even mediocre, I'm going to love it just because it's those three characters on screen together.
Aggie94
AG
I understand that attitude, even though I don't subscribe to it. If Marvel screwed up Captain America as much as WB is screwing over Superman, I'd be boycotting the movies. Snyder's vision for the Flash (my favorite DC character) will keep me away from that sure-to-be POS, too.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Walked by this a few weekends ago and immediately thought of this scene from I Am Legend.

fig96
AG
quote:
quote:
Get rid of freaking Zach Snyder
And bring in Bruce Timm to run the damn thing.
Grab Timm along with Scott Snyder, current Batman writer and co-writer of a ton of other Batman titles. The Court of Owls storyline would make a killer Batflick, guy just understands the character and knows how to tell stories.
Deputy Travis Junior
Down to 39% on 41 reviews. Woof.
Sex Panther
AG
If Affleck is as good as I'm thinking he will be, I would kill for a Court of Owls movie directed by him... and somehow set in Boston.
fig96
AG
In any case, I'm still totally in for this (prob early in the week after opening weekend), just with low expectations.
Satellite of Love
After seeing some previews, it is basically Superman vs fat Ironman with horns?
Nonregdrummer09
AG
Boy, just watched a review from one of the critics I follow and they revealed something about Batman that I'm severely unhappy with.

But I'll go see it next weekend. Won't have time this weekend
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
quote:

Those comments were bunk. Gustin is a great flash. Fun and optimistic, with a boyish charm. We get it, everything has to be dark and gritty. Enough of that BS.

Agree. Just look at how Timm handled the Flash. He was the bright optimist in the JL that, without him, alternate version of the JL managed to go all totalitarian. When the JL went to Central City and Flash's Trickster showed up, the rest of the team was shocked at how Flash stopped them from wailing on him so he could help this unbalanced guy get help. He was faithful to his friends to the end... no angst or grimacing.

Timm is the answer to all of your problems, WB! You frickin idiots! He invented frickin Harley Quinn!
fig96
AG
But see, the Nolan Batfilms were dark and brooding so everything has to be dark and brooding. Because that's obviously what the people want.

DC desperately needs their Feige, and it ain't Zack Snyder. Yet we all know this and can make a very short list of the guys who should be in the room.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
But see, the Nolan Batfilms were dark and brooding so everything has to be dark and brooding. Because that's obviously what the people want.

DC desperately needs their Feige, and it ain't Zack Snyder. Yet we all know this and can make a very short list of the guys who should be in the room.

What's funny about that is they could have easily set the DCU up with the Nolanverse. They're already sorta doing it by putting their heroes in a "real world." Bats retires and in the meantime Supes shows up. Do a couple of those movies with an epic threat looming, and a recast Batman comes out of retirement.

Ultimately you're then at the same point you are now, but you still rope in the most successful franchise you've ever had. You can slowly make the world larger and more fantastic as needed.

Think about the fun you could have with that story arc. Bruce Wayne is dead. His heir had a brief career as Nightwing before being murdered by a Joker enraged by Batman's "death." Batman, the first real superhero called back into action, is aging and increasingly left behind in a world full of supermen, increasingly in need of his wits and detective skills to contribute. That's a compelling arc.
Sex Panther
AG
I don't think Nolan or Bale had any interest in an MCU style universe commitment

edit: Didn't read everything you said
MooreTrucker
AG
quote:

Weren't the comics all dark and brooding even before the Nolan films?
wangus12
AG
Batman in general is dark and brooding
fig96
AG
Sure he is, but Superman generally isn't nor are the other characters they're bringing into this world.

It's like all they know is this singular tone that doesn't necessarily fit.
MooreTrucker
AG
quote:
Sure he is, but Superman generally isn't nor are the other characters they're bringing into this world.

Snyder's comments about the Flash are prime evidence of this.
Dro07
AG
quote:
Boy, just watched a review from one of the critics I follow and they revealed something about Batman that I'm severely unhappy with.

But I'll go see it next weekend. Won't have time this weekend
Like what? The joker killed his parents?
fig96
AG
quote:
quote:

Snyder's comments about the Flash are prime evidence of this.
Yup, nails it.
swimmerbabe11
quote:
Batman in general is dark and brooding

Dark and boring you mean?

That is why Batman stories rely on having colorful, AWESOME, and kinda zany villains.

If everyone gets all emo, the story will be all gravity and no fun. For comic book movies to work, IMO, there has to be some levity.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Exchanged my ticket for tomorrow to Friday. Figured it wasn't worth missing part of our Sweet 16 game to see it opening night.
fig96
AG
quote:
If Affleck is as good as I'm thinking he will be, I would kill for a Court of Owls movie directed by him... and somehow set in Boston.
I would be infinitely more confident in any story he directed over the current team. And I'm betting (hoping) that he'd tilt it a bit towards the crime genre and give us some genuine World's Greatest Detective, something even Nolan didn't get right.

Vander
AG
I already had tickets for Friday because I hate opening nights for blockbuster movies. I am still holding out hope that it's just a divisive movie like MoS versus just bad.

I think the WB needs to hand the keys over to Affleck and let him run with it.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Could not agree more. I say stop production on JL and get Affleck to do a solo Batman movie.
fig96
AG
I'd kill to be a fly on the wall at WB the next few weeks.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.