Batman vs. Superman

313,898 Views | 2333 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Brian Earl Spilner
Tmoneyag99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
^^
Panther nailed it. This is the "real world" Superman that so many fans have wanted.

They wanted it until they saw MoS and then wanted more Christopher Reeve type comic relief. You can never make everyone happy.
jabberwalkie09
AG
IIRC I can't remember which show in the DCAU dealt with it, but there was a story that dealt with Superman basically becoming an oppressive overlord over the human population. I think this is another way of dealing with it, and I am interested in seeing the story. With that said though, the trailer just doesn't ignite my interest in seeing the movie the MoS trailer did.
Sex Panther
AG
quote:
They wanted it until they saw MoS and then wanted more Christopher Reeve type comic relief. You can never make everyone happy.

Yeah I was about to make that comment. I don't know if it's the character, or the comparisons to Marvel and their "fun" universe or what... but it just seems like DC can't win.

And I think this is going to make Man of Steel look like the most uplifting movie ever.
agmag90
I'm really interested in the scene or event that happens that finally makes superman and batman work together. I'm assuming at least half of the movie will be the two investigating/fighting the other all the while Luthor is doing whatever evil in the meantime. Will they team up simply because they see how much a threat Luthor is and they put their differences aside? Or, do they realize that ultimately they have the same goal and Luthor just happens to be the bad guy they decide to tackle? Maybe someone who knows the comics better could shed some light...
Nonregdrummer09
AG
I don't think the comics are going to help anyone here, except maybe TDKR to a small extent.

I'll say this about Man of Steel Superman vs. "Uplifting Superman." It's not like the trailers were trying to portray this Superman as dark, He is supposed to lead the people of Earth to the light, and if you take away Superman's ability to be the symbol of light and hope, you lose the primary character conflict between Batman and Superman. Now it seems like it's alien vs. human.

However, Batman is not a protector of Earth, he's a protector of Gotham. He's a very reluctant member of the Justice League, and often refuses to be a part of it.

He is, however, always suspicious and careful with super powered humans and Superman, keeping "secret files" or whatever on how to defeat them if any of them got out of hand. So I guess it's pulling from that part of Batman's personality.

Like I said in an earlier comment, it's too much of a mixed bag of story lines and character types to me.
double aught
AG
The idea of the two as enemies is hard for me to buy. It seems it would either have to involve a pretty big change to a character or some sort of big misunderstanding by one or both, the type of misunderstanding that, typically, both characters are too smart to have.
Nonregdrummer09
AG
quote:
The idea of the two as enemies is hard for me to buy. It seems it would either have to involve a pretty big change to a character or some sort of big misunderstanding by one or both, the type of misunderstanding that, typically, both characters are too smart to have.
The reason the iconic fight between the two of them works in TDKR is because they've known each other for years and were on opposite sides of an issue. But I don't have an issue with the conflict here, it's fine, I just think you're losing the dynamic by making Superman so dark.
FL_Ag1998
AG
I liked MoS well enough, thought it just fell a little short of its full potential. And I like this little glimpse of the trailer for BvS. Let Marvel stay fun and somewhat loose, and let DC be darker and grittier. I think the conflict this trailer portrays between Supes and Bats is way more realistic than them automatically being buddy-buddy from the getgo. Warner Brothers still has a ways to go before I get as excited for the DC movies as I do for the Marvel movies, but this trailer actually does boost my hopes.
Knife_Party
I'll be the oddball here. I don't think this movie will be as good as star wars. I will, however, watch it and be entertained by it even if if's "bad". I enjoy movies called "Lesbian Vampire Hunters" though so take that with a grain of salt. (That movie isn't a pr0n btw. I don't even remember if it had any nudity in it).
double aught
AG
So, like, are they lesbians who hunt vampires, or are they regular hunters on the lookout for lesbian vampires?
Saxsoon
AG
quote:
I'll be the oddball here. I don't think this movie will be as good as star wars. I will, however, watch it and be entertained by it even if if's "bad". I enjoy movies called "Lesbian Vampire Hunters" though so take that with a grain of salt. (That movie isn't a pr0n btw. I don't even remember if it had any nudity in it).
Going out on a limb I see
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
quote:
Going out on a limb I see
Yeah... There is doubt? I think the parallel you were looking for is Avengers maybe? Anyways, yeah I have my doubts too.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
quote:

So you're saying this might just be like one long dramatic episode of Threes Company?
DCC99
AG
Michael Keaton was great. And how about Nicholson as the Joker? AMIRITE?!
lunchbox
nvm - didn't see it posted until i went back 2 pages
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
FL_Ag1998
AG
quote:
"Lesbian Vampire Hunters"... isn't a pr0n btw. I don't even remember if it had any nudity in it).

Well, then I'm kind of confused as to the point of the movie.
TCTTS
AG
Official HD version of the trailer has been up for 10 minutes now! Figured for sure it'd be posted here already...

Murder Hornet
AG
don't think that link is working
TCTTS
AG
Works fine for me.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
I agree with what someone said earlier: a lot of this looks like the opening cutscene for a PS4 game.

I think that my fears about this film, coupled with the emotional Star Wars trailer dropped 24 hours earlier have made this trailer just a big "meh" from me.
TCTTS
AG
Hmmm... "S" insignias on the soldiers seem kind of weird. Didn't notice that before. I wonder if that's Superman's home bunker of sorts, and if there's basically a sanctioned team/organization that guards it. I realize he's the most powerful being ever, but maybe he's so hated or in danger at one point that he needs refuge/"protection"? I can't think of any other reason why he'd allow a "Superman team." Is there a comics precedent for this?

TCTTS
AG
That said, I do kind of like the idea of Superman working hand-in-hand with the military/government. He's not just a guy who lives alone, hears cries of help with his super hearing, and then saves people. Instead, maybe he's the center of what is essentially a well-oiled government response and rescue team. Like his official support staff for rescue missions. That could be pretty cool and unique if done right.
Sex Panther
AG
quote:
Hmmm... "S" insignias on the soldiers seem kind of weird. Didn't notice that before. I wonder if that's Superman's home bunker of sorts, and if there's basically a sanctioned team/organization that guards it. I realize he's the most powerful being ever, but maybe he's so hated or in danger at one point that he needs refuge/"protection"? I can't think of any other reason why he'd sanction a "Superman team." Is there a comics precedent for this?

I mentioned earlier cults sprouting up due to Superman. Could see it being something along those lines since the team is bowing to him. Could see Luthor being behind it as well.
Sex Panther
AG
Trailer looked a lot better in HD as opposed to bootleg
TCTTS
AG
Umberto Gonzalez @elmayimbe
THAT'S NOT BATMAN'S VOICE YO! THAT'S DARKSEID!
TCTTS
AG
quote:
quote:
Hmmm... "S" insignias on the soldiers seem kind of weird. Didn't notice that before. I wonder if that's Superman's home bunker of sorts, and if there's basically a sanctioned team/organization that guards it. I realize he's the most powerful being ever, but maybe he's so hated or in danger at one point that he needs refuge/"protection"? I can't think of any other reason why he'd sanction a "Superman team." Is there a comics precedent for this?

I mentioned earlier cults sprouting up due to Superman. Could see it being something along those lines since the team is bowing to him. Could see Luthor being behind it as well.

Ah, didn't think of the Luthor angle. Might help explain it too.
Madmarttigan
AG
I feel like this is going to be like MoS where people love to hate on it for being darker than Superman always was, but I enjoyed MoS a lot and I think this looks pretty damn cool as well. I guess WB is creating a love it or hate it franchise? lol. MoS is one of the more polarizing movies I've seen in a while as far as people being all over the place with their feelings about it.
jeffk
AG
quote:
Official HD version of the trailer has been up for 10 minutes now! Figured for sure it'd be posted here already...

Looks cool, but then again, I never doubted that it would look cool. The trick will be getting a plot device so two sided that Batman and Superman will support opposite sides and yet have neither side be ridiculous.
AMW2010
AG
Saw the bootleg, saw the HD, still doesn't win me over anymore... But Iike I've said, I don't really care about superman
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
Umberto Gonzalez @elmayimbe
THAT'S NOT BATMAN'S VOICE YO! THAT'S DARKSEID!
What? Surely not.
YouBet
AG
After watching that, my immediate thought is that they are pursuing the Injustice story line or something similar. Basically, Superman decides to end all war and bad people out of his personal anguish and in the process becomes a dictator himself.

So, yes, there is precedent for those soldiers. They look almost identical to the ones in the Injustice arc.

Aggie_Journalist
AG
Probably just an Easter Egg, but the question mark on one of the pillars in the mansion ruins that I presume Batman is standing in kind of looks like the Riddler's signature question mark.
TCTTS
AG
Also, just realized that's Eisenberg/Luthor with the line:

"We know better now, don't we? Devils don't come from hell beneath us. No, they come from the sky."
double aught
AG
So this originally wasn't supposed to be released until Monday? Is that correct?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.