Batman vs. Superman

313,824 Views | 2333 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Brian Earl Spilner
TXAG 05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What is the appeal of The Flash? I remember a Flash tv show a long time ago, but does he do anything besides run fast? And is he faster than Superman?
Gradin
AG
He is faster than Superman. He is just an enjoyable character and can do a bit more than just run fast, but yes, that is his main power.
Vander
AG
quote:
What is the appeal of The Flash? I remember a Flash tv show a long time ago, but does he do anything besides run fast? And is he faster than Superman?

Speedforce, which basically gives him magical powers. He can vibrate through walls, steal speed from anything else, give speed to others, time travel, hit things at relativistic speeds (the kinetic energy from being hit at 99.9999% the speed of light is equivalent to a very large nuclear eruption), etc. Don't think of the speedforce as just speed, think of it as magic that allows him to do all sorts of crazy ****. The Flash is actually one of the most powerful DC characters because he's not just a speedster, he just rarely shows off what he can really do.
Sex Panther
AG
quote:
Wonder Woman has always been that way or at least since the 60s or so. She's generally considered to be the second most powerful superhero after Superman. She's a step or two slower than him, almost as strong, slightly lower durability, better reflexes, and training and fighting ability that is on par with Batman. She also has the Lasso of Truth, her bracelets that allow her to create the aegis shield that cannot be penetrated when she crosses them (it has a higher durability than Superman), a tiara that is more effective that Captain America's shield, and the sword I mentioned earlier.

Now that Wonder Woman is part god due to being the daughter of Zeus, she's probably even more formidable than before (except when she was Goddess of Truth at one point).

The Justice League's Big 7 of Superman, Wonder Woman, Flash (using the speedforce), Batman, Green Lantern, Martian Manhunter (all of Superman's powers along with telepathy, intangibility, invisibility, and shape shifting), and Aquaman are an insanely powerful team. This is why only beings like Doomsday, Darkseid, the Anti-Monitor, or groups like the Crime Syndicate really work as JL villains.

Simplebay
AG
Jason Momoa was up for Aquaman? dafuq

seriously what is happening with this movie. they are clearly just looking to pile **** into it to get to JL was fast as possible
Vander
AG
quote:
quote:
Wonder Woman has always been that way or at least since the 60s or so. She's generally considered to be the second most powerful superhero after Superman. She's a step or two slower than him, almost as strong, slightly lower durability, better reflexes, and training and fighting ability that is on par with Batman. She also has the Lasso of Truth, her bracelets that allow her to create the aegis shield that cannot be penetrated when she crosses them (it has a higher durability than Superman), a tiara that is more effective that Captain America's shield, and the sword I mentioned earlier.

Now that Wonder Woman is part god due to being the daughter of Zeus, she's probably even more formidable than before (except when she was Goddess of Truth at one point).

The Justice League's Big 7 of Superman, Wonder Woman, Flash (using the speedforce), Batman, Green Lantern, Martian Manhunter (all of Superman's powers along with telepathy, intangibility, invisibility, and shape shifting), and Aquaman are an insanely powerful team. This is why only beings like Doomsday, Darkseid, the Anti-Monitor, or groups like the Crime Syndicate really work as JL villains.

It's a thread about a comic book movie, my inner nerd gets the best of me sometimes.
TCTTS
AG
Whoa.

The movie just got pushed to MAY 6, 2016 (was July 17, 2015), definitely taking some of the wind out of the sails of the much-hyped summer 2015...

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/superm-1201062720/

Rumor is - and this isn't mentioned in the article - that Affleck severely injured his leg this week training, which is a potential reason for the move. Either that, or things really aren't going well in pre-production...

The release landscape is about to get way more interesting as this will surely shake things up. If I only had a site that specialized in chronicling these exact kind of moves...

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 1/17/2014 7:20p).]
TCTTS
AG
Pretty funny/spot-on tweet I just saw...

Cameron Carpenter ‏@Lumetian
"In the mean time, let's do nothing with our other 1,000 characters in the DC stable, in terms of movies." - WB
TCTTS
AG
WB's official reason for the move is...

“... to allow the filmmakers time to realize fully their vision, given the complex visual nature of the story.”

In other words, literally just a couple weeks before filming was supposed to begin, "We don't have this sh*t figured out yet."
TCTTS
AG
Then again, at least they're not rushing it. I still think this thing will be a disaster, but at least they're actually taking the time to attempt to get it right...
Aggie_Journalist
AG
I wonder how much schadenfreude is going on at Marvel right now. What a cluster.
TCTTS
AG
What's even crazier is that WB firmly planted B/S in Marvel's traditional summer kick-off spot. Nearly every year since 2002 (Spider-Man), Marvel has claimed the first weekend of May. So, on one side, Marvel's definitely happy that Avengers 2 gets to rule summer 2015 now. But they actually currently have an untitled movie scheduled for May 6th, 2016 as well (rumored to be Dr. Strange), which will no-doubt have to move. In other words, WB/DC aren't going down without a fight. This was a direct FU to Marvel.

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 1/17/2014 7:40p).]
TCTTS
AG
Wow, and just saw that X-Men: Apocalypse is scheduled to come out two weeks later (May 27). It's like a game of chicken now, and I don't see B/S blinking.
Simplebay
AG
This is already a dumpster fire. Worst movie ever?
TexasAggie_02
AG
quote:
This is already a dumpster fire. Worst movie ever?

Howard the duck?
Spice world?
Aggie_Journalist
AG
It reminds me a lot of the lambasted production of WWZ, but I can't remember if that one was derided as quickly as this movie is or if WWZ's negative pub wasn't brought about by the leaks about having to reshoot the third act.
TCTTS
AG
Prediction: Affleck ultimately exits the movie.

It'll likely never happen because of his deep ties to WB, but this date-change has to be due in-part to him not being satisfied with the script, where things were heading, etc. He knows if he screws this up, or finds himself in a Batman & Robin type situation, he could very well be right back in Gigli territory again. Funny to think that Affleck may end up being more of a stickler for a great, cohesive story than even Nolan was for MoS.

Either way, this push-back does give Affleck a window to bail. And you know he has to have people in his ear telling him to get out now while he can. Again, WB is his directorial home, so I can't really see him pissing them off and bailing, but if it means saving face with the public and setting up shop at another studio, it could happen. It's not like WB would have trouble re-casting the part...
TCTTS
AG
Something else to think about... this date-change may also lead credence to the rumor that WB was potentially planning to shoot B/S and Justice League back-to-back. Because of the challenges of assembling a cast like this again so soon after B/S for JL, there were rumors last week that WB was thinking about knocking out both movies at once. No one believed it then because shooting was about to begin, but now they could definitely be headed down that road, getting BOTH scripts in order, planning a (much) longer shoot.

The plan was to have B/S summer 2015, and then JL summer 2017, but this new date would allow releases in back-to-back summers, with JL still hitting summer 2017. At the very least, it would explain why we're hearing casting rumors for JL characters outside of Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman.
YouBet
AG
It is starting to sound a lot like the WWZ fiasco.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Well, to be fair: wasn't most of the WWZ drama due to Pitt and the original director hating each other and ended up them not speaking to each other by the end of the film?

The entire third act being rewritten is not generally that unheard of.

I do agree that this gives Affleck the chance to bail with the reasoning of "schedule conflict" with his next film. It won't be the first time an actor had to drop out after the dates get pushed back because of future commitments.
BigTimeAlum
AG
It really is quite a shame. With today's effects capabilities, it actually should be quite easy to do these movies well.

Follow 2 simple rules:
1) Follow the cannon as closely as you can when it comes to the characters.
2) Use realism as much as possible when it comes to the story

You have characters and stories that people have loved for decades and are dying to see visually. Just get out of your own way and make it happen.
Gradin
AG
I think the push back to 2016 is nothing but good news.
TCTTS
AG
ComicBookMovie with a potential, comprehensive update. These guys are hit or miss, so who knows...

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/nailbiter111/news/?a=93171

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 1/21/2014 4:19p).]
BigTimeAlum
AG
Well, maybe they could salvage this movie by using Doomsday in the cliff hanger role setting him up as the villain in Justice League. That makes WAY more sense.

You have some conflict between Superman and Luthor with Lex setting Superman up as a villain. Batman comes in to take on Supes based upon his Bruce Wayne business relationship with Lex. Batman and Superman come together in the end to stop Lex from whatever end game he is playing (presumably Doomsday). Potentially a Cadmus Doomsday? Then you have the Justice come together to stop Doomsday in the JL movie.

That has some potential at least....
TCTTS
AG
Even more plot rumors, again from Latino Review, this time via a random message board post. Could be complete crap, but if true, some of this would definitely be considered SPOILER material. Sounds pretty legit, IMO, and does jive with certain rumors. Either way, it really is starting to sound like part of the reason for the date shift is to do MOS2 and Justice League back-to-back in sequential summers...

http://latino-review.com/2014/01/superman-v-batman-release-date-change-triggers-massive-plot-rumors/

*** POTENTIAL SPOILERS ***

quote:
- The villians are Lex Luthor and Metallo

- Batman forms a UN type deal to stop Superman from destroying another city

- Aquaman is in it, but not called Aquaman. He’s there because the world engine in the ocean did something to the fish

- Wonderwoman poses as a Wayne Enterprises investor to retrieve an item that belongs to her people.

- Lex Luthor is in the shadows a lot, a manipulator. Not much face time with Superman.

- Robin betrayed Batman at some point, leading to a falling out between them

- The Batcave was super cool looking, and the mobile looked similar to Burton’s

- Lois is investigating Lex.

- Metallo “kills” Clark

- The Daily Planet is bought by Lex Luthor for PR purposes

- At the end Superman is living in exile, and the Justice League is an government approved superhero team.

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 1/21/2014 4:20p).]
BigTimeAlum
AG
Nope, that's back to sucking. Doesn't fit with either Batman or Aquaman's characters. Both would have to be dragged kicking and screaming into a JL.

Plus, Kryptonite kills Superman, but not really... Come on, you have to be more original than that.

[This message has been edited by BigTimeAlum (edited 1/21/2014 5:07p).]
TCTTS
AG
Never heard of this site, but if true, like I said, Affleck could be gone...

http://www.cinematallica.com/exclusive-is-ben-affleck-threatening-to-quit-batman-vs-superman/
Simplebay
AG
this is a good call TC. never thought about it, but the push back likely says he's gone.

if/when he goes, and a "no name" is cast as batman, is that the death of beloeved batman in cinema as we know it?
TCTTS
AG
^ I think both MoS2 and Justice League could MAYBE get by with a Karl Urban type, but I'm just not sure. The brand is obviously bigger than the actor. And, granted, Bale wasn't a superstar when he was cast. But the whole point of this new version is that they need an older, established-type to play Batman. Affleck isn't perfect, but he IS the superstar they were trying to land. It would definitely be hard to cast an older, veteran Batman with an "unknown." If Henry Cavill is the more notable of the two actors, I doubt the dynamic they're aiming for would work. Regardless, yeah, I could totally see it having an affect on the stand-alone Batman movies in this current iteration. Especially since Affleck is/was rumored to be potentially direct one (should he stay cast). He was the "name" actor who was supposed to carry this new version sans a visionary like Nolan at the helm.

Batman in cinema will never die, but if Affleck does leave, Warner Bros. is going to be the laughing stock of the industry. And if it isn't already, their entire DC legacy is truly going to feel cursed. At this point, they almost HAVE to make a Justice League movie. So if Affleck leaves, my bet is they do an actual MoS sequel to buy some time - one sans Batman & Wonder Woman - all while planning a new strategy for JL. Then again, they've tried planning JL behind the scenes for YEARS and haven't been able to make it work yet. Either way, books will eventually be written about the incompetence on display here...

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 1/21/2014 6:48p).]
TexasAggie_02
AG
They could cast Nicholas cage, he was awesome in kick ass.
FL_Ag1998
AG
I agree that they need Batman to be played by a name-brand actor with some gravitas if they intend on aiming for an older version of him. An older Batman kinda needs to overshadow a young Superman, and in my opinion that seed needs to be planted in the moviegoers minds not just by what is conveyed on the screen but by WHO conveys it. And it needs to start before they even see the opening scene. I would be perfectly happy with Karl Urban. Love him.

I think a step back and a complete overhaul that would be more of a MOS sequel COULD be a good thing, in the right hands. But if they are leaning towards Jason Mamoa as Aquaman that just tells me this project is definitely NOT in the right hands.
Sex Panther
AG
It's Happening!

Aggie_Journalist
AG
Would it only serve to increase Affleck's rep if him leaving BvS torpedoed this abortion and forced WB/DC to come up with a new plan that was actually good?
YouBet
AG
I expect Michael Phelps to be cast as Aquaman.
fig96
AG
Do the world a favor and cast Scott Adkins as Batman. Get him an acting coach and choreograph some killer action sequences.

As per the BvS/Justice League rumors, it all feels really rushed. Marvel did a fantastic job slowly introducing their characters and making generally really great superhero action flicks that led into The Avengers, and it sounds like DC is trying to catch up in two summers.

quote:
Follow 2 simple rules:
1) Follow the cannon as closely as you can when it comes to the characters.
2) Use realism as much as possible when it comes to the story

The problem is that those two points are often completely contradictory

[This message has been edited by fig96 (edited 1/23/2014 11:14a).]

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.