Batman vs. Superman

313,737 Views | 2333 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Brian Earl Spilner
Simplebay
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Figured i'd start a general info thread, now that filming has begun (in part). Also, I expect that horrific title to change

Release Date: July 17, 2015

So far it looks like most news (and rumors) out of this movie is looking like it could very well put a death nail in batman and superman.

Newest rumor on the Batmobile:

quote:
The Batmobile is currently being designed and built by General Motors at the GM Advanced Design Studio in North Hollywood. This is the same team who most recently designed and built the vehicles for TRANSFORMERS 4 with Michael Bay – who was very hands-on and involved in the design/building process for the new Bumblebee Camaro. Anyway, back to the new Batmobile…

It will definitely NOT have a military look like The Tumbler from [Chris] Nolan’s ‘Dark Knight Trilogy.’

An “old Cadillac” will feature prominently in the film. When I remarked to my source that the Cadillac Sixteen concept car from a few years back looked a lot like a Batmobile, he stayed mum.

Apparently these are what's being tossed around for the Batmobile

AGnBCS
AG
Thanks for the info

But did you mean Death Nail or Death Knell?

Either could be fitting but one mean it's killing them while the other means they are already dead.
TxAginAz
AG
There have been some really cool looking concept cars at the auto shows the past few years. I'm looking forward to seeing it.
AgMarauder04
AG
What do you mean death nail with ttw news? Like the movie is so horrible, it's going to kill the franchise?
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
OP meant death kneel.

as in kneel before Zod.
TCTTS
AG

quote:
Noun 1. death knell - a bell rung to announce a death
Gradin
AG
I highly doubt that they will go with an old looking Batmobile
Murder Hornet
AG
I've gotta say so far it sounds like WB in an effort to move on from Nolan/Bale have decided to make the ****tiest Batman movie yet. Very questionable decisions so far...bat mobile, movie title, source material (contrived showdown between Bats and Supes)
BurnetAggie99
GM products
Kashchei
AG
GM products
Simplebay
AG
Per CBM, which is sometimes reliable and sometimes about as far off base as one can get-

Batmobile
quote:
General Motors IS working on the Batmobile designs, but I was also told that production designer Nathan Crowley, and engineers Chris Culvert and Andy Smith, have been consulting on the designs.

Cowl
quote:
current cowl designs resemble the Caped Crusader’s look in Batman: Noel. Which is a 2011 graphic novel written and illustrated by Lee Bermejo, based on Charles Dickens’ A Christmas Carol. They also explored concepts that looked like Injustice: Gods Among Us designs, but ultimately passed on those because they were too similar to Nolan’s costume.

Quad Dog
AG
quote:
current cowl designs resemble the Caped Crusader’s look in Batman: Noel. Which is a 2011 graphic novel written and illustrated by Lee Bermejo, based on Charles Dickens’ A Christmas Carol. They also explored concepts that looked like Injustice: Gods Among Us designs, but ultimately passed on those because they were too similar to Nolan’s costume.

Just please be a cowl where he can move his neck.
fig96
AG
Seems like a bit more of a high tech design:

Pesonally I didn't love the design of the cowl in Nolan's films.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
Pesonally I didn't love the design of the cowl in Nolan's films.

Same here. Don't think they'll be able to improve on that design. And I can't stand the potentially short ears. Makes him look too much like Daredevil, a role already poorly associated with Affleck. Though, going with some kind of new-look dark grey suit could be a nice change of pace. I'll always love the black, as it makes the most sense for someone who works at night in the shadows, and is definitely the most intimidating/mysterious. But I'm down for trying something different for the sake of seeing something new. Just please, no short ears.
Simplebay
AG
can we not just scrap this movie altogether and make something similar to this, with this cowl?

fig96
AG
quote:
Same here. Don't think they'll be able to improve on that design. And I can't stand the potentially short ears. Makes him look too much like Daredevil, a role already poorly associated with Affleck. Though, going with some kind of new-look dark grey suit could be a nice change of pace. I'll always love the black, as it makes the most sense for someone who works at night in the shadows, and is definitely the most intimidating/mysterious. But I'm down for trying something different for the sake of seeing something new. Just please, no short ears.

I don't mind the short ears, particularly as they've been done recently by Capullo in the New 52 Batman. I would like to see a gray suit, maybe done a bit darker than most of the comics. There's so many great designs to choose from there's really no excuse for not having a fantastic Dark Knight design.

FaceMask
Good lord! # 2 looks fat as hell!

I love #1 design and #3
TCTTS
AG
I'm kind of tired of clunky, super-muscular, gear-heavy Batman. Why not go a little more svelt, like a jacked sprinter or something? Someone that's still strong as hell, but a little more acrobatic. A little more bat-like. For instance, lose the clunky boots, and go with something more form-fitting around the feet. Just more aerodynamic all-around. Batman needs to be able to slip and stalk through the shadows. Not be some hulking 80s action hero / wrestler in a batsuit.
Sex Panther
AG
quote:
Good lord! # 2 looks fat as hell!

That's from the Dark Knight returns, where he is in his 50's and comes out of retirement. #1 is a take on the Batman Beyond costume.

quote:
I'm kind of tired of clunky, super-muscular, gear-heavy Batman. Why not go a little more svelt, like a jacked sprinter or something?

I kind of agree with this. I want to see Ninja batman... it was pretty obvious in TDK series, that Bale actually had a hard time moving around. But of course, Affleck sure as hell can't pull that off.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
I kind of agree with this. I want to see Ninja batman... it was pretty obvious in TDK series, that Bale actually had a hard time moving around. But of course, Affleck sure as hell can't pull that off.

YES. Ninja Batman is the perfect description.

And yeah, no doubt they'll keep the clunky-ish look for Affleck.
fig96
AG
I think it's largely an issue on the front end of things.

You aren't going to get an actor who can move like Batman is supposed to, at least not Affleck or Bale. Batman is supposed to be a big, thick guy, but he's also an elite martial artist who moves like, well, a ninja.

You truly want Batman? Cast Scott Adkins. Heck, he even looks Bruce Wayne.
AliasMan02
AG
For this film, Bats is supposed to be a bit older, so I think having him be beefy/strong as opposed to acrobatic/ninja-y is appropriate.

If you want a more lean Batman, just suck it up and make ONE movie with JGL as Nightwing. I know he's not Dick Grayson, but he certainly wouldn't be a bruiser like Bale.

On costume designs, they're nuts to to not take a cue from Rocksteady and the Arkham games. You're talking about the most important, mass-market appeal of any Batman ever outside of the Nolan films, and the designs couldn't be more different from the last round of movies.
fig96
AG
Tangent: it can't be long till they realize the appeal of making a Batman Beyond film (costume #1 in the black and red).

Summary for those who never read the comic/watched the animated series: Set 25 or 30 years in the future, Bruce Wayne is a reclusive senior citizen who takes on a young protege and gives him the keys to a super high tech Batsuit.

Animated series is on Netflix and worth the watch.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
Tangent: it can't be long till they realize the appeal of making a Batman Beyond film

I've never seen the show, but I know the general story, and I've honestly given serious thought to diving in and writing a draft on spec. The property has so much potential. I even have an idea for what I would think could be a pretty cool ending / set-up for a sequel.

It'll be at least another two years before they start developing another Batman solo film, likely with Affleck again in the role. So, in my down time, taking four or five years to develop a Beyond draft on the side would actually be kind of fun (especially with no rush). Whatever they end up doing post-Affleck probably won't start being developed until 2018/2019 or so, if not later. At that point, whoever the writer is, that's when they should go in the Beyond direction. I really do think it's the only viable way to continue the franchise without taking a break from the character for a while (which they definitely won't want to do).

In the span of a decade (2012-2022ish), WB's THIRD take on the middle-aged version of character might feel kind of stale. It already does with Affleck this close to TDKR. So you cast a 60s/70s Bruce Wayne instead, set it 30/40 years in the future, and have him be the Obi-Wan to Terry McGinnis' Luke. And just so there's some actual Batman in it, throw in some flashbacks to when Bruce was donning the cape in our "present day" (whenever the movie's released). Getting excited again just typing about it...
jeffk
AG
Not to mention that you'd need the flashbacks to setup the events that led Wayne to hang up the cowl in the first place.

You should give Beyond a viewing, TT. The whole series is streaming on Netflix. It's my go-to for a treadmill show.
TCTTS
AG
May give it a shot soon. Thanks.

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 11/1/2013 1:21a).]
fig96
AG
Cool stuff TCTTS. Batman Beyond is a really fascinating universe and I think that, as the series showed, it's a really rich setting to have fun with and adapt the Batman mythos a bit while still staying true to the core of what the character is. You have to love being able to play with some cool scifi elements within the Batman universe.

One of my favorite Batman moments comes from that series actually, there's an episode where a villain is causing Bruce Wayne to hear voices in his head, trying to drive him insane. Here's the concluding conversation between Terry and Bruce.

Agreed with Jeff that the series is very worth the watch, probably my favorite outside the original BTAS. Also outstanding and pretty dark is the Batman Beyond "Return of the Joker" animated feature.

Which you've just inspired me to put on in the background as I work this morning
TCTTS
AG
Awesome, fig. Thanks. I really do think I'm going to start watching/"researching" early next week, in whatever down time I have here and there.

quote:
You have to love being able to play with some cool scifi elements within the Batman universe.

And yeah, exactly. This is what appeals to me the most.
jeffk
AG
Let me know if you need a consultant. I've watched the whole series three times.
TCTTS
AG
Ha, will do. Once I get through it over the next couple months or so, I may even start a thread for ideas. Like, lay out what I'm thinking in general, then build on those ideas with whatever input the board can provide. Could end up being a fun little side project.
fig96
AG
Glad to help, and I'd love to contribute some ideas as well as the concept progresses.

I've actually been meaning to start on a 3d modeling project and the Beyond suit is one I've been contemplating...might be a fun side project.
TCTTS
Sex Panther
AG
I just want to get in on a producer's credit when this gets greenlit in 5 years
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Can I get in on this? Writer's assistant? Executive Producer? I can shell out some bucks.
jeffk
AG
Producer?

Hell, I want to play Terry McGinnis!

[This message has been edited by jeffk (edited 11/1/2013 4:07p).]

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.