*****2017-2018 San Antonio Spurs*****

297,785 Views | 3490 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by OlRock
Mike Elko
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ganondorf said:

Defense is bad, three point shooting is bad, everything is bad
As long as the Warriors are the Warriors, it doesn't really matter. We got a decent return on a whiny b**** player who quit on the organization that gave him everything... It's better than you think.
Guitarsoup
AG
How incredibly awkward would it be if the Raptors fail him on the physical.
LawHall88
AG
Keeps getting worse.
Chipotlemonger
AG
While that's not good, I think the trade is an overall big win for the Spurs. The team wasn't going to fleece anybody on this one.
West Texan
AG
LawHall88 said:

Keeps getting worse.

Toronto covering their ass for another Kawhi "injury"
West Texan
AG
Guitarsoup said:

It would cost Kawhi and Uncle Dennis a metric **** ton of money next offseason if the team that traded for him deemed him medically not ok.
Enzo The Baker
AG
If Kawhi is healthy the Raptors will surely have a top 10 record in the league playing in the weak East.

I didn't realize Poeltl was the 9th pick two years ago. You have to assume that the Spurs got to pick him out of all of their young guys.
dave99ag
AG
Guitarsoup said:

They better not use his doctors!
Ganondorf
AG
Chris Carter saying Kawhi might not show up for the physical. How bizarre would it be if he didn't go so the trade would be voided and we made him sit all year?
Guitarsoup
AG
Ganondorf said:

Chris Carter saying Kawhi might not show up for the physical. How bizarre would it be if he didn't go so the trade would be voided and we made him sit all year?
If he no-shows for a year, his contract rolls on. Part of the CBA is that the players can't hold out.
04.arch.ag
AG
if only for one thing this trade is good for the NBA so players cant just wine and complain there way to a new team of their choice.

also poetl is really young and not a horrible defender. had 1.2 blocks a game last year in only 18 minutes. figure bertans starts so you have some perimeter shooting with aldridge and derozan and poetl can be a defender with patty and manu on the second unit
DeangeloVickers
AG
I like the trade all things considered
West Texan
AG
Ganondorf said:

Can a player do that without some kind of repercussion? Also, Chris Carter is a jackass.
FTAG 2000
AG
West Texan said:

Ganondorf said:

Can a player do that without some kind of repercussion? Also, Chris Carter is a jackass.

Carter has an ownership stake in the player rep agency that Kawhi's uncle is trying to get off the ground. He's vested in this and should go suck an egg.

The reactions of him and the loser NFL agent that is now heading this group for Uncle Dennis are complete amateurs. If Kawhi no shows, holds out, etc, then his contract tolls. He wouldn't be a free agent next year if they keep this up. This isn't the NFL and hold outs don't work in the NBA like they do in the NFL. Again, rank amateurs.
Chipotlemonger
AG
What do the 1st and 2nd units look like on the team now?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Glad to be done with this tantrum-throwing dip*****
Guitarsoup
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

Gasol/Poeltl
LMA/Bertans/Cunningham
Beli/Gay
DeRozan/Manu/Lonnie
Murray/Patty/White

West Texan
AG
So, how does Demar like HEB commercials?
Ag Natural
AG
All things considered I don't hate this deal. Assuming it goes through it at least ends the drama. Pop gets a full training camp to figure out what this team can do. We still have two stars.

Kawhi is a better player when healthy no doubt but check out these facts.

DD is only 2 years older.
DD has played over 70 games 7 times. KL 2 times.
DD has averaged over 20 pts 5 times, KL 2 times.
DD has 4 all star selections, KL has 2

It will be interesting to see how DD fits on the Spurs. Toronto won a lot of games with him and in the playoffs I felt that he was better than Lowrie.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Given the Leonard drama and his 9 game season, I even think the Spurs came out better on this deal than Indiana did last year when they shipped George.

I'm not upset that we are losing the player in Green, just the person. He was the prototypical Spur.
DTP02
AG
It's sad that it came to this instead of what should have been a lifetime relationship with the team and town like David and Tim had, but it's been inevitable for a while now so I'm glad to see Kawhi and his puppet-master uncle get traded somewhere he really doesn't want to go.

Hate to see Danny go, especially since it exacerbated our 3 point woes.

I like picking up Poetl and think he could be a nice piece. I don't think the reconstructed Spurs team makes any sense. I hope Chip can work wonders with DeRozan's shot because I am just not a big fan of his game, especially playing next to LaMarcus.
AggieOO
So how long until we get the 30 for 30 on how kawhi wakes up one day broke bc his uncle made a bunch of bad investments and stole the rest of his money?
DTP02
AG
It's way early but my initial thought is that this doesn't put us on the road to contending. This is a move which probably keeps us competitive but not strong enough to be a threat, so we will be stuck in that lower-tier playoff team channel. That makes it hard to get the pieces you need to contend.
Cappo
AG
We'll see ya *****
Ag Natural
AG
This team won 48 games last season with no Kawhi. Now you

Add Derozan, Poetl and Beli
Subtract Green and Anderson. I like Green but he has struggled the last two years.
Get a full season of a healthy Gay
Hopefully have Murray, White, Bertans and Walker step up.

It's an interesting mix. A lot of promising young guys and grizzled vets all together.
FTAG 2000
AG
I'm assuming SA got to pick one prospect and that's why we grabbed Poetl. Would have preferred OG but we do have a lot of wings right now.

Losing a Danny hurts but he's been slipping the past couple of years. We basically traded Toronto some cap relief and got rid of Kawhitter while locking in an All star for two more seasons.
Guitarsoup
AG
Green has only hit .384/.357 FG/3FG the last three years and he just turned 31. On the downside. Love what he brought to the team, but it is ok he is leaving, too.

We need a guy that can play D like him and also hit threes. Hopefully Murray's shot comes around. His defense and rebounding are solid.
Guitarsoup
AG
West Texan
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Chipotlemonger said:

Gasol/Poeltl
LMA/Bertans/Cunningham
Beli/Gay
DeRozan/Manu/Lonnie
Murray/Patty/White

Derozan plays well with the ball in his hands, runs the pick and roll pretty well, and averaged over 5 assists per game last season. I think there's a very real chance that Patty or White start next to him at the 1 to give some shooting and spacing.
Iowaggie
AG

Guitarsoup
AG
West Texan said:

Guitarsoup said:

Chipotlemonger said:

Gasol/Poeltl
LMA/Bertans/Cunningham
Beli/Gay
DeRozan/Manu/Lonnie
Murray/Patty/White

Derozan plays well with the ball in his hands, runs the pick and roll pretty well, and averaged over 5 assists per game last season. I think there's a very real chance that Patty or White start next to him at the 1 to give some shooting and spacing.
I think there is no question that DeRozan is going to be the defacto PG most of the time.

That's why I put Beli in the starting lineup over Gay, because we need the shooting. If White's shot looks strong, maybe he does as well. But I fear a terrible defensive team without Murray starting.
Good Poster
AG
Guitarsoup said:

LMA was 84th in the NBA at eFG%.

LMA's True Shooting was 55th in the NBA

DeRozan: placed 125th in eFG% and 91st in TS%

That's not good.

Doesn't really make sense to look at eFG for Derozan or Aldridge considering their volume from 3P. Misleading statistic for them imo.
Guitarsoup
AG
Money Ag said:

Guitarsoup said:

That's not good.

Doesn't really make sense to look at eFG for Derozan or Aldridge considering their volume from 3P. Misleading statistic for them imo.
Derozan shot almost 300 threes last year. Shot about 4 per game at a 31% clip. That's pretty terribad.
FTAG 2000
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Money Ag said:

Guitarsoup said:

That's not good.

Derozan shot almost 300 threes last year. Shot about 4 per game at a 31% clip. That's pretty terribad.

I think we can expect a bump from better shot selection in the Spurs system.
Ulrich
I'm not sure this trade is even going to happen because apparently both DeRozen and Leonard are super ticked off.

The resulting team is fools gold. Looks great on paper, but it's a critical mass of inefficient volume shooters, tepid defenders, and career underachievers.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.