*****2017-2018 San Antonio Spurs*****

297,583 Views | 3490 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by OlRock
Guitarsoup
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
Loved seeing that kind of emotion from LMA. And Murray is growing up and getting more confident. I actually thought the most impressive thing from him tonight wasn't his 15 boards, but was the way he was right in the middle of the scrum pulling LMA away from Ibaka. Just really like seeing that kind of control and leadership from the young kid.
Guitarsoup
AG
LMA showing Lowry what's up

https://streamable.com/dfqad
Guitarsoup
AG
The LMA/Ibaka shove

https://streamable.com/wietc
West Texan
AG
We couldn't have asked for a better start to this season for Dejounte Murray. He's been very good offensively but defensively he's all over the place. Rebounding machine from the PG spot and he's given Jeff Teague and Kyle Lowry some serious problems so far. Those are two former all stars and they scored 11 and 8 respectively. Like I said, if he could make a jumper he'd be unbelievable.
jteagle
AG
Sloppy game with lots of turnovers but they cleaned it up in the 4th qtr when it counted. LA scored half of his points in the 4th. Defense was good most of the game. Murray had 16 pts and 15 boards. Danny had 17 pts 5 blocks. Anderson made some clutch shots in the 4th qtr and played good D. Rudy Gay scored 11 and stepped in and took a couple of charges. Manu was Manu. Lots of contributors tonight.
West Texan
AG
Spurs have had 26 blocks in 3 games, with a lot of them coming from the wing players. Length really paying off.
superunknown
AG
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
superunknown said:

That's what I was talking about. Love seeing that from Murray.
Guitarsoup
AG
Murray is the first Spur PG to have two games with 10+ rebounds since Rod Strickland in 1990. Murray did it in three games.
Guitarsoup
AG
Is that good?

Guitarsoup
AG
Joffery tonight:

16 min
4-9
7 boards (4 offensive)
1 steal
9 points

How does Pop find these guys?
West Texan
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Joffery tonight:

16 min
4-9
7 boards (4 offensive)
1 steal
9 points

How does Pop find these guys?

He's a poor man's David Lee. Does a little bit of everything and runs the floor like a mad man. Also Brandon Paul looked pretty solid out there tonight. Plug and play, apparently.
West Texan
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Is that good?

Isaih Smollett
I don't even know how they have that many. They started 6-8 in the lockout season, when else?
Ulrich
1. I've never seen a playoff game in October before. Great intensity all around.

2. Murray looking a little more complete every game. I'm not usually a big fan of rebounding point guards because they're usually just padding stats, but he's battling for contested boards and it's clearly part of the spurs strategy. Would like to see him running the offense a little more, but for the moment I'm happy that he is so much better at taking care of the ball and fighting through screens.

3. Monster game for Danny Green. 5 blocks and I don't think he got any stat credit for forcing 2-3 more turnovers.

4. This is a crazy good rebounding team... and what's scary is that there's still room for improvement.

5. Loved seeing Aldridge get fired up. He's getting more intense every game. If he plays like this in the playoffs, look out.

6. What happened to Bertans? Rudy Gay, I guess.

7. Mills has been really poor on defense. He's always had trouble with size, but he's not moving his feet or closing out like he has in years past.

8. I like Anderson a LOT more at his current weight. He's a slow small forward, but at least he's fast enough to get to spots, switch, and help. Last year he was painful to watch on defense. You could see the intelligence but he simply couldn't get to the play a lot of times. Playing well on offense, too.

9. We're grinding playoff-caliber teams down with superior size, depth, defense, and rebounding... without Kawhi. Lots of basketball to be played but the ceiling on this team is very, very high.
Ulrich
Also Manu balling out again and Rudy Gay playing well. He took two charges and created/took good shots.

Im really excited about this team.
Guitarsoup
AG
Whole game in 10 min:

jteagle
AG
Ulrich said:

4. This is a crazy good rebounding team... and what's scary is that there's still room for improvement.

9. We're grinding playoff-caliber teams down with superior size, depth, defense, and rebounding... without Kawhi. Lots of basketball to be played but the ceiling on this team is very, very high.
The current starting lineup looks like this.

Pau 7'
LA 6'11"
Kyle 6'9"
Danny 6'6"
Murray 6'5"

Not too many teams will be able to match the size of that lineup.
LawHall88
AG
Ulrich said:

Also, Bertans has some sort of ligament injury with one of his pinkies, so it may impact his ability to handle the ball or shoot.
aggieactor01
AG
LawHall88 said:

Ulrich said:

Also, Bertans has some sort of ligament injury with one of his pinkies, so it may impact his ability to handle the ball or shoot.
This. I saw on Twitter from SAEN that they would only put him in if absolutely necessary in an emergency. Trying to give his hand time to heal. I think it was McDonald that tweeted it during the game last night.

Thanks for posting the game in 10 minutes video GS! I couldn't get it to show on Sling last night.
Ulrich
jteagle said:

Ulrich said:

The current starting lineup looks like this.

Pau 7'
LA 6'11"
Kyle 6'9"
Danny 6'6"
Murray 6'5"

Not too many teams will be able to match the size of that lineup.

When Kawhi comes back to take Anderson's spot, the second team is
Lavergne
Gay
Anderson
Manu
Mills

Which is also a pretty long lineup. Slide Manu to the 1 and you can bring Bertans in for Mills. Only one 7 footer, but about 6'9 average height. Or bring Parker in for Lavergne and slide everyone down a spot for a pretty legit small ball lineup.
jteagle
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Whole game in 10 min:

The key point in the game was with 9:21 left(about 6:49 on the video). Miles hit a 3 and the Raptors went up by 6. Pop called a timeout and from that point the Spurs went on an 8-0 run and outscored Toronto 26-16 the rest of the way. At that point LA only had 10 points and he ended with 20 but Danny, Murray and Anderson all played big down the stretch. The Spurs may not be the flashiest or the popular pick but they will be in it until the end and they still have the best coach in the league.
Cave Johnson, CEO
AG
Anyone else really surprised by Danny Green so far? He's played his usual great defense (5 blocks last night) and has scored 17, 9, and 17 in the first three games. He looks much more confident on offense and I no longer cringe when he tries to dribble and drive to the basket.
LawHall88
AG
Cave Johnson, CEO said:

Anyone else really surprised by Danny Green so far? He's played his usual great defense (5 blocks last night) and has scored 17, 9, and 17 in the first three games. He looks much more confident on offense and I no longer cringe when he tries to dribble and drive to the basket.
He hit some sort of mini-hook shot last night. I don't remember seeing that from him before.
Guitarsoup
AG
Danny Green also took the ball from 27 feet out, drove to the basket, finished with a reverse and drew a foul for and 1.

queued up here:

jteagle
AG
Cave Johnson, CEO said:

Yes! Danny seems to be doing alot of things that aren't typical of him. He looks like he did some work in the off-season. In years past it seemed to be a 3 pointer or nothing but has been driving, hitting some mid range shots and last night he made a real nice cut to the basket without the ball.
jteagle
AG
LawHall88 said:

Cave Johnson, CEO said:

He hit some sort of mini-hook shot last night. I don't remember seeing that from him before.
That was the play that led to the altercation between LA and Ibaka. Starts at 8:19 of Guitar's video.
Guitarsoup
AG
2-3 games into the season.

Undefeated teams:
Washington Wizards
Memphis Grizzlies
LA Clippers
San Antonio Spurs

Teams with no wins:
Dallas Mavericks
NY Knicks
Chicago Bulls
jteagle
AG
Guitarsoup said:

2-3 games into the season.

Undefeated teams:
Washington Wizards
Memphis Grizzlies
LA Clippers
San Antonio Spurs

Teams with no wins:
Dallas Mavericks
NY Knicks
Chicago Bulls
Grizzlies and Clippers are both playing very well right now although the Clippers have only played the Suns and the Lakers, easily two of the worst teams in the west.
Ag Natural
AG
Pop also went "small" at that point. Gasol was struggling defensively so he went with Anderson or Gay at the four the rest of the way. From that point on the defense really tightened and Aldridge had more space to work on Ibaka.
Ulrich
I suspect that at some point this season we'll realize again that Gasol belongs on the second team at this stage in his career.
Obi Wan Ginobili
Cave Johnson, CEO said:

Not in the slightest, but I've been advocating for him from the jump.

Please refer to my numerous posts absolutely crushing any and all Green Ranger doubters. The Spurs threads from last year and the off season are littered with my words.
Cave Johnson, CEO
AG
I had a feeling you might respond to that. I remember you saying how great of a deal his contract is. It's looking even better so far this year.
MookieBlaylock
AG
Spurs bench in 8 weeks

Gasol center
Gay PF
Ginobili SF
Mills Sg
Parker OF

They would make the playoffs in the East if not a 4 seed

Yikes i honestly had no idea that Gay was that big

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.