*****2017-2018 San Antonio Spurs*****

297,566 Views | 3490 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by OlRock
LawHall88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Walker can play one year behind Green and take over in year 2.
West Texan
AG
We pick again at 49. There could be some 3 and D guys possibly still there like Melvin Frazier from Tulane, but I'm keeping my eye on big man Omari Spellman from Villanova. Really like his game and we need to get younger down low.
Ulrich
Spellman seems like a Tristan Thompson type to me.
West Texan
AG
Ulrich said:

Spellman seems like a Tristan Thompson type to me.

I'd be ok with a Tristan Thompson type. Really good shooter for a big man, good rebounder, has good shot blocking instincts. A little undersized but you could do worse for a kid 2nd rounded.
jteagle
AG
Alot of people had Walker as a Top 10 pick. Supposed to be very intellectual so him and Pop can probably have some really cool conversations.
West Texan
AG
And there goes Spellman at 30.
flashplayer
AG
At this point in the draft, all teams do is look at the list of prospects the spurs worked out multiple times, then draw one of them out of a hat
LawHall88
AG
I expect, in keeping with tradition, the next Spurs pick will be an eastern European player whose name I will be able to neither spell or pronounce.
flashplayer
AG
And who we won't see for 5 years

Kidding aside, they become less apt to do that in recent years, and now especially with the Increased flexibility of G league, I expect they will take the best player available
flashplayer
AG
I'm kind of intrigued with the forward from Maryland. He had good shooting touch before his injury, and we know his coach was really awful at developing NBA level talent

Damn - Denver snatched him up with the 43rd
West Texan
AG
Chimezie Metu is our second pick. He was the best big left and has some skill around the basket. He'll spend lots of time in Austin before he has a shot at the roster.
flashplayer
AG
My money is on him never seeing the roster. Does not defend or rebound.

But no one worth a damn was left, so...

Was wanting the Ohio State kid to slip past Minnesota but they took him the pick before the Spurs we're up.
TyHolden
AG
several sites predicted metu to spurs at that spot...
Ag Natural
AG
He did average a block a game and got all defensive team honorable mention in the pac12. The ESPN guys called him a shot blocker.
fightinags2013
AG
As a Mavs fan- I'm bummed y'all got Lonnie Walker. Great pick! Many thought he'd go higher. Classic Spurs.
West Texan
AG
flashplayer said:

My money is on him never seeing the roster. Does not defend or rebound.

But no one worth a damn was left, so...

Was wanting the Ohio State kid to slip past Minnesota but they took him the pick before the Spurs we're up.

Bates-Diop would have been really nice at that spot. But second rounders are such a crap shoot that most of the time it doesn't really matter. If Metu ever gets good enough to make a roster, then he was a good pick. If he never is heard of again, no one cares.
jteagle
AG
He'll fit right in. Send him to Timmy for some fashions sense!

TyHolden
AG
best value pick = last pick by the 76ers....
jteagle
AG
DTP02
AG
Pretty good pick. Saw him play in the Dallas regional and he looked like a plus NBA athlete. Spurs needed to improve athleticism across the board, and I could see him developing into a good defender who, if Murray can develop enough offensive game to play most of the minutes, could be part of a tough defensive backcourt (post Green).

But that hair, though...
West Texan
AG
Now that the draft has passed, free agency is the next step in building the roster. Currently we have 7 players that are free agents of some sort, Manu could retire, and we still don't know if we'll move Kawhi or not before the season.

Restricted:
Kyle Anderson
Davis Bertrans
Bryn Forbes

Unrestricted:
Rudy Gay- opted out
Danny Green- likely to opt in
Joffrey Lauvergne
Tony Parker

Looking at the restricted guys first, I think you make a qualifying offer to Anderson because we've got to have someone that can play SF. With the uncertainty around Kawhi and Gay testing the waters, we can't let all three of them leave. I think you let Forbes walk. I like him a lot, good shooter that worked hard to earn a roster spot after being undrafted, but he can't handle the ball, too small to guard SGs, and with Murray, White, Green, and now Walker the back court is running out of space for him. Bertans probably needs to walk as well. Love the shooting range, but he's too slow to defend wings and not strong enough to defend bigs or rebound.

The unrestricted guys: Green is opting in supposedly, so he'll be back. Joffrey is rumored to be going back to Europe to play and make more money, so he's gone. That leave Rudy Gay and Tony Parker. I think you offer Gay. If some other team offers him a crazy amount don't pursue it, but he had a solid year returning from his injury, and we need guys that can play the 3 or small ball 4. Parker is where it gets hard. I don't think he'll retire and I don't think we can afford to bring him back unless we can find a way to move Patty and his awful contract. We've got Murray, Mills, and White that are all PGs and we certainly don't need a 4th taking up a roster spot. He's a future hall of farmer, but I think it's time to move on.
Guitarsoup
AG
Should have offered Duncan Robinson as an undrafted free agent
aggie_fan13
AG
TP needs to go
aggieactor01
AG

Pendragon12
AG
azulAg said:

TP needs to go
No he doesn't. If his play is worse than this year, which shouldn't be the case as he would have a full off-season this time rather than coming back from major surgery, then yeah he needs to not take up a spot. But if he can grow into the role of play maker off the bench, then you keep him for the right price.

You don't over pay for the guy. You do him like Manu the last couple of years if his play is better...give him what's leftover after FA signings on 1 year, or super team-friendly 2 year deals.
dave99ag
AG
David Robinson is such an awesome person. That is all.
West Texan
AG
Sports-Ag
AG
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/amp/Buford-Spurs-haven-t-given-up-on-repairing-13016214.php

Quotes from RC Buford from the article.

"Kawhi and his family mean a lot to our organization and to our community," Buford said. "While none of us would wish we are where we are, we are going to do what we can to build the best relationship we can with him. We will explore all of our options, but the first one would be to keep Kawhi as part of our group."

"I don't know that timing is a factor in this," Buford said. "He is under contract for another year. Our goal is to keep him as part of our program for a long time."

"I think all of us would wish that things would have gone differently at times,"
Sports-Ag
AG
Still trust RC and Pop.
Ag Natural
AG
The Spurs ain't giving up on keeping Kawhi.

I loved how during the draft they had DRob up there with Walker. DRob said "trust in Pop", that's all you need to know.
aggie_fan13
AG
Goodluck with that
Pendragon12
AG
azulAg said:

Goodluck with that

With what? Paying what a guy is worth or giving a spurs legend a golden handshake once we're done on the FA market?

I just said - if he's asking way too much, let him walk. But unless he truly is done, I doubt he's worse than last season coming off a career-threatening injury where he was unable to spend his offseason conditioning. He spent it rehabbing. It's possible TP can never play basketball at an NBA level again. I just don't think he's there yet. He for sure is no longer a starter.

You don't limit the team by trying to kee Tony. You don't let his new contract prevent us from signing a good FA. But if the numbers and dynamics work, and he can give good mins off the bench, you absolutely keep him.
Ag Natural
AG
It wouldn't surprise me to see Tony get a Manu-type contract offer. The organization has to believe the culture is starting to walk out the door if Manu retires and Kawhi stays disgruntled. Do we really want Danny and Patty to be the lone championship holdovers?
Good Poster
AG
Lol please do not give Parker any money
flashplayer
AG
Money Ag said:

Lol please do not give Parker any money
Username, checks out

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.