*****2017-2018 San Antonio Spurs*****

297,558 Views | 3490 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by OlRock
Good Poster
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Money Ag said:

Guitarsoup said:

LMA was 84th in the NBA at eFG%.

LMA's True Shooting was 55th in the NBA

DeRozan: placed 125th in eFG% and 91st in TS%

That's not good.

Doesn't really make sense to look at eFG for Derozan or Aldridge considering their volume from 3P. Misleading statistic for them imo.
Derozan shot almost 300 threes last year. Shot about 4 per game at a 31% clip. That's pretty terribad.

Right so he took 285 last year and didn't take more than 200 since 2014 so cant really use last year as a strong statistic for eFG. Any Raps fan would tell you he pretty much just starting chunking from deep.
West Texan
AG
Ulrich said:

I'm not sure this trade is even going to happen because apparently both DeRozen and Leonard are super ticked off.

The resulting team is fools gold. Looks great on paper, but it's a critical mass of inefficient volume shooters, tepid defenders, and career underachievers.

LOL

So Kawhi and Uncle Dennis want out of San Antonio so bad because the team doctors misdiagnosed his injury and his teammates were mean to him, but don't send him to Toronto?!? He's not getting traded to LA so he can either suck it up for a year here or there.

I feel bad for Demar because he was loyal to a team that isn't a big market to just bring in guys, but do you really want to go back to the team that is trying to trade you for a guy that played 9 games and has stated he wants to sign with another team? That's how little they value him at this point that they're willing to take a huge risk on Kawhi being healthy and happy enough to give them one year, that they get rid of their most popular player since Vince Carter.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Ag Natural said:

This team won 48 games last season with no Kawhi. Now you

Add Derozan, Poetl and Beli
Subtract Green and Anderson. I like Green but he has struggled the last two years.
Get a full season of a healthy Gay
Hopefully have Murray, White, Bertans and Walker step up.

It's an interesting mix. A lot of promising young guys and grizzled vets all together.

Spurs finished #7 in the West standings last year and I don't see anything offhand that indicates they will be able to noticeably move the needle on their position in the pecking order next season. Probably will be a very mediocre/inconsistent outside shooting team. I'm guessing that they will finish somewhere #6-#8 in the Western standings for the 2019 playoffs. With a decent chance to miss the playoffs entirely given how tough the Western conference is and the unknowns of integrating a rebuilt roster, etc.
PLUM LOCO
AG
If this trade does goes through it will be nice knowing Uncle Dennis cost them $80 Million and we never will see 2 hanging in the rafters in AT&T.
aggie_fan13
AG
I feel bad for Danny, classy guy. Sucks to see him leave this way. I think he wanted to stick with us til he's done
AggieOO
azulAg said:

I feel bad for Danny, classy guy. Sucks to see him leave this way. I think he wanted to stick with us til he's done
wouldn't be surprised to see him back on the team at some point.
West Texan
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

Ag Natural said:

This team won 48 games last season with no Kawhi. Now you

Add Derozan, Poetl and Beli
Subtract Green and Anderson. I like Green but he has struggled the last two years.
Get a full season of a healthy Gay
Hopefully have Murray, White, Bertans and Walker step up.

It's an interesting mix. A lot of promising young guys and grizzled vets all together.

Spurs finished #7 in the West standings last year and I don't see anything offhand that indicates they will be able to noticeably move the needle on their position in the pecking order next season. Probably will be a very mediocre/inconsistent outside shooting team. I'm guessing that they will finish somewhere #6-#8 in the Western standings for the 2019 playoffs. With a decent chance to miss the playoffs entirely given how tough the Western conference is and the unknowns of integrating a rebuilt roster, etc.

We're all aware of the potential problems with a lack of outside shooting, but you can't tell me that replacing Kyle Anderson with Demar Derozan doesn't make the Spurs a better team. I don't believe we're contenders, but barring injuries I don't see us any where close to missing the playoffs.
Ulrich
He's a career 46% eFG, so adding a ton of threes at a terrible percentage actually improved his numbers.
Ganondorf
AG
AggieOO said:

azulAg said:

wouldn't be surprised to see him back on the team at some point.

I hope so. Danny gets a lot of crap on this board but I really like him.
Ulrich
Losing Green is probably what irritates me the most. Surely there's a better way to make the salaries work than giving up the quintessential Spur.
Malcolm52
AG
All of yall who are *****ing about this trade- what did you want the team do to?

Yes this team will have weaknesses, but if KL was not going to play what other options did we have? It's like some of yall thought we were going to Steph Curry and unprotected SAC and ORL picks out of KL.

Situation sucks, but we made the most of it.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Just got the alert from Spurs app. Official.
Guitarsoup
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Just got the alert from Spurs app. Official.

Won't be official until Kawhi actually shows up and passes his physical.
Ulrich
There's a lot of ground between Steph Curry + top 5 picks vs an overrated and overpaid chucker + some guy and a late pick. Plus we managed to give up a core character on a short reasonable contract without getting rid of one of our terrible contracts.
Guitarsoup
AG
Ag Natural
AG
Ulrich said:

There's a lot of ground between Steph Curry + top 5 picks vs an overrated and overpaid chucker + some guy and a late pick. Plus we managed to give up a core character on a short reasonable contract without getting rid of one of our terrible contracts.

Green has been bad the last two years and was hopefully going to lose a lot of playing time to the young guys anyway. He is a great character guy but that's not usually worth 9 million. I could see the Raps buying him out anyway.

I think a lot of folks are under rating Derozan.
Good Poster
AG
Guitar was comparing Derozans eFG to other players in league not to his previous years eFG so doesn't really apply here
Guitarsoup
AG
Just FYI, if they buy him out, we can't re-sign him
Ulrich
Money Ag said:

Guitar was comparing Derozans eFG to other players in league not to his previous years eFG so doesn't really apply here

And you implied that it was an outlier because he changed his game. He's an inefficient player no matter how you spin it.
Guitarsoup
AG
We need to make a run at Melo.

Inefficient volume scorers-R-us
Malcolm52
AG
Ulrich said:

Again its not perfect but what offer would you have preferred? Kyle Kouzma plus a couple of late round pick? Spurs did not have a ton of choices here.
Ag Natural
AG
Malcolm52 said:

Ulrich said:

Again its not perfect but what offer would you have preferred? Kyle Kouzma plus a couple of late round pick? Spurs did not have a ton of choices here.

Also there is no way DD gets 20 shots a game on this team. If he buys in all his percentages will go up. He's been a pretty good assist guy as a 2 guard his whole career as well.
Ulrich
I would have preferred no trade and try to make up over this deal.
LawHall88
AG
Ulrich said:

Gotta believe the Spurs tried and concluded that the relationship was damaged beyond repair, for whatever reason. I trust the Spurs ultimately took the best deal they could get, given Kawhi's injury history and "L.A. or bust" position.
West Texan
AG
Ulrich said:

We all wanted Kawhi back, but the fact that they made a deal and didn't wait till team USA or training camp to try and talk to Kawhi is probably a pretty good indication that there wasn't going to be any making up.
rgag12
AG
I refuse to believe Kawhi wanted out because of the whole "Well they were mean to me because I didn't like their doctors and wanted to rehab in NYC". That's some weak BS to want to throw away 40-80 million dollars for.

I think Kawhi wants to be in a big city like NYC or LA. His quiet personality was never going to get him the fame and popularity in San Antonio. He has to rely on big city media to prop him up as a superstar. It just annoys me that he can't just admit this and he has to hide behind the weak excuse about the doctors that I see being thrown out there.
ToHntortoFsh
Danny certainly was declining but this (Danny's Official Post on Trade Deal) is what I wish Kawhi would've done. I can respect wanting to be back home...but dang do it like a champ not hiding behind your uncle.

I hope we can get Danny back at some point.
Ulrich
The roster is loaded with bad contracts and players with long histories of valuing counting stats more than wins. Pop is about to retire. All the assistants from the glory years are gone. Tim is gone, Tony is gone, and Manu is gone now or next year.

I wouldn't count on turning these talented players into smart players. All the guys who built that culture are going or gone.
West Texan
AG
rgag12 said:

I refuse to believe Kawhi wanted out because of the whole "Well they were mean to me because I didn't like their doctors and wanted to rehab in NYC". That's some weak BS to want to throw away 40-80 million dollars for.

I think Kawhi wants to be in a big city like NYC or LA. His quiet personality was never going to get him the fame and popularity in San Antonio. He has to rely on big city media to prop him up as a superstar. It just annoys me that he can't just admit this and he has to hide behind the weak excuse about the doctors that I see being thrown out there.

I think Kawhi would have been a lifetime Spur if it weren't for his Uncle being his manager. All the other stuff was to try and make the Spurs look like the bad guy so that they didn't look stupid. Didn't work out the way they planned.
Ag Natural
AG
Ulrich said:

The roster is loaded with bad contracts and players with long histories of valuing counting stats more than wins. Pop is about to retire. All the assistants from the glory years are gone. Tim is gone, Tony is gone, and Manu is gone now or next year.

I wouldn't count on turning these talented players into smart players. All the guys who built that culture are going or gone.

Yes we get it. You think all these guys suck.

Continue to ignore the fact that Aldridge and Gay both bought in last year. Neither had a great rep before getting here. If Manu plays another year you have him and Beli as great shooters and smart veteran passers. Pau is one of the best passing big men in history. And you still have Pop and Messina and Englund.

I like guys who can ball like alpha dogs. LMA and Derozan can do that. Aldridge has turned into a very strong defensive presence and Toronto leaned on Demar last season to win 65.
Guitarsoup
AG
As constructed, I think we are a 55 won team that loses in the semis. Maybe we lose in the conference finals if Harden chokes and Paul gets hurt again.
Hudson2508
AG
It's a bit optimistic to think this team gets to the semis considering they might be playing GS, Houston or LeBron in the opening round. The 4 or 5 seed is the only safe spot and they will need to finish ahead of Utah, NO, Portland, OKC to avoid the 6, 7 or 8.
Malcolm52
AG
Ulrich said:

I guess its time to curl up in and ball and cry? We will still be competitive in the WC and make the playoffs. Things change and teams have to adapt
dave99ag
AG
I'd be worried if we had a sh*tty coach, but we have Pop and in Pop we trust.

Post-Pop is a much different story.
Guitarsoup
AG
Hudson2508 said:

It's a bit optimistic to think this team gets to the semis considering they might be playing GS, Houston or LeBron in the opening round. The 4 or 5 seed is the only safe spot and they will need to finish ahead of Utah, NO, Portland, OKC to avoid the 6, 7 or 8.

We had 47 wins last year and replaced Kyle Anderson/Danny Green/ Joffery with the #5 scorer in the league, Beli, Dante Cunningham and Poeltl. I think +8 wins is probably about right. Especially if White is as good as the Spurs seem to think he is.

What significant upgrades have NOLA, Portland, and Utah made?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.