*****2017-2018 San Antonio Spurs*****

297,559 Views | 3490 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by OlRock
Ulrich
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Making the playoffs is not the same as competing for titles.

Out of DeRozan, Aldridge, Gay, Beli, Mills, Murray, and Danny Green over the last five years:
Green has the highest Box Plus Minus by a comfortable margin. Aldridge is way out front on VORP; Green is comfortably second. Green's TS% (IMO a better and more favorable metric for Derozan because of the rate at which he reaches the foul line) is ahead of DeRozan and Aldridge, and all but Beli are below league average.

I'm not saying any of that because I think that Green is wildly underrated (although he is underrated by some people). Most of the players on that list can do things that Danny Green simply can not do. He's a role player and not as good as he used to be because he's been asked to step outside his role. If I had taken his best year when he was surrounded by all-star talent, all of his stats would be even farther ahead.

It does show that a guy many of you think is nothing but a locker room presence beats or even dominates these "alpha dogs" when you look a little deeper than points per game. I think a lot of you are liking the highlight reels but ignoring the difficulty of maintaining a culture of excellence.
West Texan
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Hudson2508 said:

It's a bit optimistic to think this team gets to the semis considering they might be playing GS, Houston or LeBron in the opening round. The 4 or 5 seed is the only safe spot and they will need to finish ahead of Utah, NO, Portland, OKC to avoid the 6, 7 or 8.

We had 47 wins last year and replaced Kyle Anderson/Danny Green/ Joffery with the #5 scorer in the league, Beli, Dante Cunningham and Poeltl. I think +8 wins is probably about right. Especially if White is as good as the Spurs seem to think he is.

What significant upgrades have NOLA, Portland, and Utah made?

They haven't. Memphis should be back in the playoff mix if they can stay healthy and Dallas could make some noise if Doncic is as good as everyone thinks he'll be, but outside of the lakers no one in the West made huge strides. I also think the lakers ceiling is #4 in the West. Lebron is good but he can't csrry that group to a top 3 seed in the West.
Ag Natural
AG
Ulrich said:

Making the playoffs is not the same as competing for titles.

Out of DeRozan, Aldridge, Gay, Beli, Mills, Murray, and Danny Green over the last five years:
Green has the highest Box Plus Minus by a comfortable margin. Aldridge is way out front on VORP; Green is comfortably second. Green's TS% (IMO a better and more favorable metric for Derozan because of the rate at which he reaches the foul line) is ahead of DeRozan and Aldridge, and all but Beli are below league average.

I'm not saying any of that because I think that Green is wildly underrated (although he is underrated by some people). Most of the players on that list can do things that Danny Green simply can not do. He's a role player and not as good as he used to be because he's been asked to step outside his role. If I had taken his best year when he was surrounded by all-star talent, all of his stats would be even farther ahead.

It does show that a guy many of you think is nothing but a locker room presence beats or even dominates these "alpha dogs" when you look a little deeper than points per game. I think a lot of you are liking the highlight reels but ignoring the difficulty of maintaining a culture of excellence.

I agree that Green has been underrated overall. However, without Kawhi or peek Parker this team needed more play making from his position. He will be missed but the guys getting his minutes have a lot more upside. It will be interesting to see what he does in Toronto.
Ulrich
That was not about Green, he's just a guy that people have said is not very useful so I thought it would make my real point better.

Throwing Aldridge, DeRozan, and Gay out there is unlikely to produce a contender because they don't play smart basketball and we're pretty much out of players who do.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Quote:

I agree that Green has been underrated overall. However, without Kawhi or peek Parker this team needed more play making from his position.
This is a great point, and to me it kind of deteriorates the talk about some of those efficiency statistics that have been brought up. Sure, Green had some good numbers there, but the statistics don't take into account what happens when he isn't actually shooting the ball. Without Parker and KL around, we needed to get someone that can create space and movement and offensive production on more than just the shooting plane.
Guitarsoup
AG
West Texan said:

Guitarsoup said:

Hudson2508 said:

It's a bit optimistic to think this team gets to the semis considering they might be playing GS, Houston or LeBron in the opening round. The 4 or 5 seed is the only safe spot and they will need to finish ahead of Utah, NO, Portland, OKC to avoid the 6, 7 or 8.

We had 47 wins last year and replaced Kyle Anderson/Danny Green/ Joffery with the #5 scorer in the league, Beli, Dante Cunningham and Poeltl. I think +8 wins is probably about right. Especially if White is as good as the Spurs seem to think he is.

What significant upgrades have NOLA, Portland, and Utah made?

They haven't. Memphis should be back in the playoff mix if they can stay healthy and Dallas could make some noise if Doncic is as good as everyone thinks he'll be, but outside of the lakers no one in the West made huge strides. I also think the lakers ceiling is #4 in the West. Lebron is good but he can't csrry that group to a top 3 seed in the West.

I have very little confidence that Memphis can stay healthy.

Agree with Lakers. They also have shooting issues.
Ulrich
I wasn't clear enough. No one is arguing that Green is the missing piece. I'm arguing that DeRozan is also not the missing piece because he can't shoot but still does and doesn't really defend.

Four years ago if someone had showed us this roster without telling us the team, we all would have guessed it was the Knicks or Kings.
LawHall88
AG
Mike Elko
AG
Pop just had a presser televised on SportsCenter. "We're moving on" and "We're happy to get DeMar here" were the two main themes. Talked up Kawho and Danny. Kept everything classy, as expected.
West Texan
AG
LawHall88 said:

Sucks to suck. Uncle Dennis overplayed his hand.
DTP02
AG
West Texan said:

LawHall88 said:

Sucks to suck. Uncle Dennis overplayed his hand.
I'm sure Uncle Dennis told Kawhi he had the Spurs right where he wants them and that they would end up trading him to the Lakers because they wouldn't have any other choice. Happy to see them get some comeuppance for a year.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Toronto averages below freezing temperatures for over 2 months of the year. That doesn't even take into account chill factor. Have fun, Kawhi!
Ag Natural
AG
Ulrich said:

I wasn't clear enough. No one is arguing that Green is the missing piece. I'm arguing that DeRozan is also not the missing piece because he can't shoot but still does and doesn't really defend.

Four years ago if someone had showed us this roster without telling us the team, we all would have guessed it was the Knicks or Kings.
News flash. This isn't four years ago.

Aldridge had one of the best net ratings in the league last year. In particular, his defensive impact has increased dramatically. Gay has a rep for taking a lot of bad shots and never slipped into that pattern last year under decent coaching and a real system.

Derozan, as dumb as you say he is, managed to lead his team to the 2nd best net rating last year. And his usage rate was 30%, which is very high. So either he's not as bad as you say.. or all the other guys on Toronto are amazing at covering for him.

Besides, coaching matters. It matters A LOT. My prediction is you'll see Derozan make a higher percentage because he's taking better shots. And he will play defense just like every other Spur learns to do. I'm happy they got a guy with some unique scoring ability. Demare isn't a 3pt shooter but he is a pure scorer and gets to the line. He also averaged over 5 asts a game last year on a team that was top 10 in assist numbers. It's cool at the Walker and White are going to have a vet like this to learn from along with Beli and (hopefull) Manu.
Ulrich
I guess we'll find out.
West Texan
AG
Some thoughts on today and the offseason as a whole.

-this has been rough for me as a Spurs fan. Tony is gone, now Danny and Kawhi. That leaves Manu, Patty, and Marco (brought back) from the championship team. Just weird to think about.

-I'll miss everything about Kawhi on the court. Efficient scorer, good rebounder, elite defensive player, and never had the "look at me" attitude while doing it. Everything about off the court Kawhi and his "group" has turned me off completely from him. Complete lack of professionalism and loyalty is unforgivable to me.

-I don't love Derozan and he has a lot of flaws, but I'm ok with the trade. As a fan, it's really hard to watch your team tank (which seemed to be our other option). I watched the Astros lose 100 games for several years and it was awful. Obviously it's paid off for them, but the tanking process is much more based on luck in the NBA. You can acquire a ton of young prospects and high draft picks and still be stuck in basketball hell for years if you don't hit on that one special draft pick.

-I would have preferred Anunoby, but I don't hate Poeltl. Good rim protector, solid in the pick and roll, moves fairly well. Huge upgrade over Joffrey and still has room to expand and improve his game.

-**** the lakers

-Uncle Dennis is a jackass and has cost Kawhi a lot of money. Enjoy Canada.
Guitarsoup
AG
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/24128459/without-kawhi-leonard-san-antonio-spurs-fast-forward-uncertain-future-nba

Michael Wright has been the most consistent and reliable media member in this...

Quote:

sources saying the forward had been medically cleared to play since December.

Quote:

officials within organization had hoped Leonard would let the Spurs declare him out for the season due to his injury, according to sources with knowledge of the situation
Ulrich
Uncle Dennis has been playing chess... cheap shoe deal, but think of the coat deals he'll get now!

I hate what this trade does to our cap situation, we don't have a forward defender in the golden age of the combo forward, and we have exactly one good shooter in the playoff rotation, but at least it's an influx of talent and a replacement for Gasol.
Ulrich
If the trade goes through I'll be really interested to see if one or both teams flip the star at the first opportunity.
Guitarsoup
AG
Kawhi's deal with Jordan expires while he is in Toronto. Anyone think he will get anything better than he did in SA after the ****show he has been the last year?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Good tweet by Danny. Now just waiting on the one from Kawhi.
Guitarsoup
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Guitarsoup said:

Good tweet by Danny. Now just waiting on the one from Kawhi.

Guitarsoup
AG
Ulrich
So I just read a bunch of comments on PTR and they all seem to be under the impression that Murray, Walker, White, Bertans, and Poeltl are this great core of young guys and we're already set up to contend after GS comes apart. Am i crazy or does pretty much every team have a comparable group of 20-25 year olds who might have some runway for improvement left? Is there a potential star in that group?
Guitarsoup
AG
Ulrich said:

So I just read a bunch of comments on PTR and they all seem to be under the impression that Murray, Walker, White, Bertans, and Poeltl are this great core of young guys and we're already set up to contend after GS comes apart. Am i crazy or does pretty much every team have a comparable group of 20-25 year olds who might have some runway for improvement left? Is there a potential star in that group?

I'll go out on a ledge and say that group combines for zero career All-NBA teams
Pumpkinhead
AG
Read Zach Lowe's ESPN article on this earlier today. He thinks this was an okay trade short-term for the Spurs, as it will allow Pop coach his last couple of seasons without having to deal with a tanking team. He thinks the Spurs can be about a 50-win team next season. Long-term however, he felt the trade was 'meh', just delaying for a bit longer a true rebuild in San Antonio, that it was an example of maybe where a coach having influence on a decision isn't for the best long term. Though he said the Spurs could perhaps trade DeRozan later for other assets.
West Texan
AG
Ulrich said:

People that post in the comments of PTR:

People that post on Spurstalk:
Pendragon12
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

Read Zach Lowe's ESPN article on this earlier today. He thinks this was an okay trade short-term for the Spurs, as it will allow Pop coach his last couple of seasons without having to deal with a tanking team. He thinks the Spurs can be about a 50-win team next season. Long-term however, he felt the trade was 'meh', just delaying for a bit longer a true rebuild in San Antonio, that it was an example of maybe where a coach having influence on a decision isn't for the best long term. Though he said the Spurs could perhaps trade DeRozan later for other assets.

I kinda get that. I'm not thrilled with combination of LA and DD. But seriously, what the heck should the Spurs have done in this situation? If they traded him, despite Pop's apparent personal relationship with Kawhi with the team USA looming as an opportunity to get Pop with Kawhi one on one, then it was likely irreparable and would probably be a net negative for the team this season. And that isn't fair for the rest of the team. Look what happened last year.

Trading Kawhi for junk Laker picks, Deng who would still be a money drag, and likely Hart...or for Rozier, Morris, and junk...or Saric as a centerpiece and the chance of a 2021 Miami pick being great..? What bothers me most on this trade is giving up Green for an uber protected pick, and only Poetl back from Toronto. But the real trade was Kawhi, who was likely going to continue being a cancer, for Demar. Which I feel more and more like a win for the Spurs in general. Eventually we'll likely tank. But I think what this trade did was not let Kawhi and his freaking group dictate if we tank or not right now.

And I know you're posting this mostly as a neutral observer. So I'm not attacking you, just to be clear.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Pendragon12 said:

Pumpkinhead said:

I kinda get that. I'm not thrilled with combination of LA and DD. But seriously, what the heck should the Spurs have done in this situation? If they traded him, despite Pop's apparent personal relationship with Kawhi with the team USA looming as an opportunity to get Pop with Kawhi one on one, then it was likely irreparable and would probably be a net negative for the team this season. And that isn't fair for the rest of the team. Look what happened last year.

Trading Kawhi for junk Laker picks, Deng who would still be a money drag, and likely Hart...or for Rozier, Morris, and junk...or Saric as a centerpiece and the chance of a 2021 Miami pick being great..? What bothers me most on this trade is giving up Green for an uber protected pick, and only Poetl back from Toronto. But the real trade was Kawhi, who was likely going to continue being a cancer, for Demar. Which I feel more and more like a win for the Spurs in general. Eventually we'll likely tank. But I think what this trade did was not let Kawhi and his freaking group dictate if we tank or not right now.

And I know you're posting this mostly as a neutral observer. So I'm not attacking you, just to be clear.

Lowe said in his article that the Spurs lost some leverage once it became clear to the Lakers that LeBron was coming to them regardless, and that since LeBron put no pressure on them then the Lakers Opted out of gutting their young core for a Kawhi trade. And that neither Boston (Spurs were asking for an asset like Jaylen Brown plus stuff) nor Sixers (Spurs were asking for either Simmons or Embied to be included in deal) were willing to meet the Spurs asking price, particularly with no assurances by Kawhi of staying long-term.

So apparently it came down to Toronto being the best deal available.
Ag Natural
AG
Pundits and some fans are under the false impression that there is no value in being good but probably not a contender. I promise you most organizations would love to be good consistently and just be a break or two away from being in the hunt.

I like this trade because they will stay good and could possibly be really good if DD turns out to be a great fit. You get a promising young guy in Poeltl and you have some VERY young talent already here.
Guitarsoup
AG
LawHall88
AG
TyHolden
AG
kawhi's career is over. spurs got what they could get.
Old Army Metal
AG
DSAg44 said:

kawhi's career is over. spurs got what they could get.
That's a scorching hot take, anything to back it up?
West Texan
AG
Here's a pretty good outlook on the trade from timvp on Spurstalk. Read the rest of the thread at your own risk.

Quote:

-After letting the trade digest a bit, I still don't love it but I'm starting to understand the thinking behind it.

-Firstly, sad to see Danny Green go. He goes down as one of my favorite Spurs of all-time. He came out of nowhere to give the Spurs more than a half decade worth of championship-caliber starting shooting guard play. I'm proud of the way he bounced back from laying an egg in the 2012 playoffs by putting together a couple of the greatest shooting postseason runs this league has ever seen. Along the way, he became an elite defender, a great teammate and a player who kept a positive, wins-focused attitude no matter what. Thanks, Danny. Well done, man.

-I'm not ready to take a deep dive into Kawhi Leonard's Spurs legacy. (It still hurts ) On one hand, the ride was damn fun while it lasted. On the other hand, it's difficult to forgive Nephew for how things ended. I'm sure the Spurs deserve some blame but to sabotage your trade value by demanding a trade to the archrival Los Angeles Lakers I mean, I can't imagine a more villainous ending to what appeared even a year ago to be a perfect marriage between superstar and franchise.

-Let us take a moment to realize that not everyone is built like David Robinson and Tim Duncan. Those two are true legends. It takes more than just supreme basketball talent to carry a small market team to championship-relevancy year after year. Gentlemen, Spurs fans are forever grateful.

-Considering the trash offers the Spurs were reportedly getting for Nephew, you can't be too unhappy with DeMar DeRozan. He's much better than anyone the Lakers, Clippers or 76ers were offering. He has three years left on his contract and he's due $27,739,975 per season, with the last season a player-option. While there's some risk because he could decline physically during that time (he's turning 29 next month), as it stands he should be worth that amount of money.

-Offensively, DeRozan is elite. Last season, his offensive real plus-minus was +3.42, which ranked 15th in the NBA. His ORPM has been consistently very good the last three seasons. He can create shots for himself in the halfcourt; DeRozan is very capable from all depths inside the three-point line. He has averaged more than 23 points per game for three-straight seasons. Last year, he took a big step forward playmaking-wise. He shattered his career-high by averaging 5.2 assists and was one of the top swingmen in the league in terms of assist-to-turnover ratio. And perhaps best of all, DeRozan is great at getting to the free throw line. He has averaged at least ten attempts per 100 possessions the last five seasons and knocks them down at a nearly 83% clip.

-While a top 20 player in the league on offense, DeRozan isn't as good as a 100% healthy Nephew on the offensive end. I should make that clear. But speaking of health, that brings me to another positive DeRozan brings to the table: durability. DeRozan has been extremely reliable; his only extended absence in his career was a groin injury back in 2014. He has played 675 of 722 (93.5%) possible regular season games in his career. Nephew, on the other hand, has played in 407 of 558 (72.9%).

-Where DeRozan has been a liability his entire career is on the defensive end. He's been really bad on that end and that's probably putting it kindly. DeRozan's defensive real plus-minus was a ghastly -1.76 and that was actually an improvement over his previous campaigns. He has athleticism and length but he's never been able to be even an adequate defender.

-Fit-wise, I'm less than enthralled. For all of DeRozan's talents on offense, he's a poor three-point shooter (28.9% for his career). That's a rather huge flaw considering he'll be playing next to the longball-limited Dejounte Murray while occupying the same space LaMarcus Aldridge likes to operate in. Spacing is going to be an issue. A big issue.

(-Speaking of spacing, it now makes a whole lot of sense why the Spurs went with Davis Bertans over Kyle Anderson. The signing of Marco Belinelli also now makes more sense. As constructed, this team needs every perimeter player outside of Murray and DeRozan to be able to shoot if they have any hope of having decent spacing.)

-Pop has his work cut out for him when it comes to making DeRozan decent on D. If Pop can hide him (Murray should help in this matter) and cajole (gently, I'm sure) more effort from him on that end, it's theoretically possible for DeRozan to become someone who doesn't kill the Spurs on defense. I wouldn't bet on it due to DeRozan's long history of being a sieve, but maybe it could happen.

-In a DeRozan trade, I wanted OG Anunoby to be included. If not OG, then I wanted Pascal Siakam. If not Siakam, I wanted an unprotected first round pick. That said, Jakob Poeltl is a solid young center. Though he was somewhat lost in the Raptors impressive bigman depth, Poeltl is someone you can easily imagine sticking around the Spurs for the next decade.

-Poeltl, a 7-foot-1 center from Austria, has two main strengths: offensive rebounding and shotblocking. He's top ten in the league in both categories on a per possession basis. Those two numbers alone make him a very interesting prospect. The 22-year-old, even though he's 250 pounds, is also mobile enough to survive today's perimeter-oriented NBA. He's not David Robinson reborn but he can move his feet decently enough. I've also been impressed with his basketball IQ in the times I've watched him play.

-On the other hand, Poeltl is a shockingly poor defensive rebounder, especially for someone his size. To put it in perspective, his defensive rebounding percentage last season was worse than Gasol, King Joffrey, Murray, Gay, Nephew, Anderson, Aldridge and even Derrick White. How can someone so big and so good on the offensive glass be so pitiful when it comes to rebounding on the defensive end of the court?

-Perhaps even more damning for Poeltl in Pop's eyes is the fact that he led the league in fouls per minute last season. Pop loathes fouls, even by active bigmen (See: Mahinmi, Ian). Poeltl fouls more than anyone else. That is going to be a rough fit unless the Austrian really improves on that end. Poeltl, even though he can be a sneaky-good passer at times, also turns it over quite a bit for someone who had limited touches with the Raptors. That, too, won't sit well with Pop.

-Since Poeltl doesn't have an outside shot, I can't imagine him starting alongside Murray, DeRozan and Aldridge. That would be a spacing nightmare. But coming off the bench, he could be really useful from Day 1. At 22, he has upside and projects to one day be a possible starter. I wouldn't be too surprised if he's starting in three years and giving the Spurs 12 points, ten rebounds and two blocks per game. All in all, Poeltl was definitely a positive asset to get in the Nephew trade.

-I'm hoping even more now for Manu Ginobili to return because Poeltl could be his best pick-and-roll partner since Tiago Splitter was traded. A big guy who sets solid screens and rolls hard will be good for Ginobili as he quarterbacks the bench. And, probably more importantly, Poeltl's fit on the second unit would be seamless with Ginobili spoon-feeding him. Without Ginobili, he could get lost in the shuffle.

-What will the starting lineup be? I think with the addition of Poeltl, Pau Gasol has to be the starting center, right? That would open up a spot in the rotation for Poeltl and it would help try to mask DeRozan's defensive weakness. If Pop starts someone like Bertans at power forward and slides Aldridge to center, while that could help offensively spacing-wise, that starting lineup would be really bad defensively especially since it looks like Mills, Gay or Belinelli would have to round out the starting five.

-The best fit to me as it stands would be to start Murray, DeRozan, Belinelli, Aldridge and Gasol. That's the best hope for adequate defense and adequate spacing. (Belinelli gets the nod over Gay due to the desperate need for three-point shooting in that lineup and the nod over Mills due to size.) A bench of Mills, Ginobili, Gay, Bertans and Poeltl actually could be pretty strong, honestly.

-I was really hoping for a better haul in the Nephew trade. I can't try to pretend I'm thrilled with what the Spurs ended up getting. (No OG? No Pascal? Only one highly protected first round pick? Man, that's tough to swallow.) That said, following the trade, I think the Spurs can win 50-plus games. Are they championship contenders? I'd say it's fair to call them a dark horse that needs something totally unforeseen (like Murray blossoming into an All-Star in 2019) if they are to reenter that conversation.

-Again, thanks to Danny Green. Poeltl should be a solid piece for a long time. DeRozan will be a breath of fresh air. He's a good guy by all accounts. In fact, you can make the case he's been the most loyal and team-first star in the league over the last half decade. No star player has ever shown Toronto any type of loyalty in their history as a franchise. DeRozan never wavered, never looked for greener and less-taxed pastures, and never tried to threaten his way back to Los Angeles. Basketball is again the focus and the playoffs should once again be attainable. I'm not upset about that.

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=274916
West Texan
AG
https://www.poundingtherock.com/2018/7/18/17585948/san-antonio-spurs-fans-farewell-danny-green

Danny tribute. So long V3rd3, we'll miss you.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.