*****2017-2018 San Antonio Spurs*****

297,560 Views | 3490 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by OlRock
LawHall88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So...
Quote:

Veteran wings Tony Allen, Joe Johnson, and Marco Belinelli are all likely to hit the market. Minnesota's Shabazz Muhammad has also been rumored as a buyout candidate. Mavericks center Nerlens Noel could use a change of scenery, and veteran Boris Diaw (who has an opt-out clause in his contract with France's Paris-Levallois to sign with an NBA team) has reportedly been in contact with multiple playoff teams.
https://www.theringer.com/nba/2018/2/8/16993852/nba-trade-deadline-winners-losers-cavaliers-lakers-suns-pistons
aggie_fan13
AG
Boris, pop better get him back
Enzo The Baker
AG
Would love to get Beli back.
Ulrich
Isaiah Thomas potentially coming off the bench.

That's the right move unless he's playing with 4 really good defenders (I've always thought he was overrated), but he has fallen far and fast.
Guitarsoup
AG
Talk about Memphis buying out Tyreke Evans. Cut Brandon Paul and pick him up.
LawHall88
AG
Quote:

SAN ANTONIO The Spurs will be shorthanded at point guard for Saturday's rodeo road trip game against the Golden State Warriors after the club ruled out both Dejounte Murray and Tony Parker on Friday.

Murray will be sidelined with a sprained left ankle. Parker is out with back tightness, according to Spurs injury report. Both injuries occurred in Wednesday night's 48-point win at Phoenix.

That leaves Patty Mills as the only healthy veteran point guard. He will be backed up by second-year guard Bryn Forbes and rookie Derrick White.

Kawhi Leonard (return from injury management) and Rudy Gay (right heel bursitis) remain out.
https://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/article/Spurs-to-face-Warriors-without-Murray-Parker-12575336.php
Enzo The Baker
AG
Marco is being bought out.

Quote:

Before Thursday's deadline, the Philadelphia 76ers, San Antonio Spurs and Oklahoma City Thunder were among teams believed to be interested in trading for him, league sources said. Those teams do have roster spots available to sign a free agent.
West Texan
AG
I would love for Marco to come back. And Boris for that matter. Hell while we're at it, let's see if Timmy is interested in a come back.
Pendragon12
AG
I would love to have Boris as a backup over Joffrey, but Boris will struggle to rebound still. That said, offensively, he should be able to spell Pau and LA more than Joffrey is apparently trusted to.

Marco would be great. But not sure whose minutes he takes? Maybe instead of the Manu-Parker-Patty lineups you throw Marco in there? That said, he's a great 3 point shooter and our shooting has been meh this season. He could be a nice injection of offense.
Enzo The Baker
AG
The Warriors appear not to have any interest in Marco. Looks like he will probably choose between the Spurs and OKC, unless Boston comes into the fold, because they need shooters as well.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Marco is signing with Philly. Why the hell would he go to that team? They are a borderline playoff team.
aggie_fan13
AG
well i have little to no faith in the spurs this season making a legit playoff run without kawhi, time to blow up the roster i guess
Ag Natural
AG
Of course they aren't really going anywhere without Kawhi. But I still think this team plus a healthy Kawhi and Gay is pretty dangerous.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Anderson played Kevin Durant about as good as you could play him last night. He was really bothering him all game. It was great. Thompson obviously took over, but that was in large part due to not having enough defenders to go around. I agree. If we have Kawhi back to 100%, I like our chances against Golden State.
Enzo The Baker
AG
But with that being said, even with Kawhi back, someone on this team (Bertans/Forbes/Patty) needs to start knocking down the wide-open shots we are getting. If they don't, it's going to be a very short playoffs.
Pendragon12
AG
Anderson may be playing his way out of our budget, but damn I hope we try to keep him. He's been a main contributor to our success this season, and his playmaking is something none of our guys outside of TP and Manu seem to have right now.

He had a fantastic game last night, and those games seem to be more and more common for him this year.
Pendragon12
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

But with that being said, even with Kawhi back, someone on this team (Bertans/Forbes/Patty) needs to start knocking down the wide-open shots we are getting. If they don't, it's going to be a very short playoffs.

I honestly think Kawhi helps with some of this. Without Kawhi keeping defenses honest, they can play every single one of our guys closer than they normally would. So even if they have space, defenders may be getting there a half second sooner than they were last year.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who can barely remember what our team looks like with Kawhi at full strength. I think we have good enough pieces with LA playing like he is and a healthy Kawhi to make some western conference teams uncomfortable.
aggie_fan13
AG

Any truth to this ?
West Texan
AG
No clue if it's true or not, but spurstalk isn't exactly the best place for info.
Enzo The Baker
AG
I find it hard to believe that the PATFO are 'in the dark' about Kawhi's health. That seems absolutely ridiculous to me.
Ag Natural
AG
Well considering the MO of the Spurs is to err on the side of extreme caution when it comes to injuries... I find this account only mildly plausible. It is possible that someone misdiagnosed this. However, he literally sat out all of preseason the first two plus months of the season. So its not like he was rushed back. Plus, if it turns out there just is no cure them I'm not sure how you could blame any doctor for that.

My opinion on this all along is that his leg has bothered him for a while and they finally decided to see if a bunch of rest would fix the issue once and for all. He's been a workout warrior and probably never tried rest. I bet he could play on it and be really good but there is fear that it could get a lot worse.
Pendragon12
AG
There's been some smoke about Spurs doctors misdiagnosing Kawhi last January when this injury apparently first occurred, and him now doing his own treatment. He played through it then but that could have made the issue worse. Pure speculation, but that seems to somewhat fit with the Kawhi stories that came out the last couple of weeks about issues with the Spurs.
Pendragon12
AG
From what I can understand, tendinopathy is almost like a pre-cursor to a ruptured quad tendon like TP had.

But I honestly don't know if that's true or not. I don't know near enough about biology or sports medicine to have a great grasp of it.
MGS
Is this Dallas radio host's name Mike Bacsik?
superunknown
AG
The Holts are divorcing

https://www.expressnews.com/spurs-nation/amp/Spurs-owners-are-divorcing-what-does-that-mean-12607592.php
aggie_fan13
AG
surprising? could this having anything to do with Peter stepping down a few years ago? I dont like to speculate but im assuming there was most likely an extra marital affair ? also worried how this will impact spurs org
Enzo The Baker
AG
This loss is on the coaching. The spurs are up 12 in the 4th and Pop takes out our best defensive unit and doesn't put them back in until long after they have blown their lead. All of our offense was isolation in the last two mins. The last play was comical.
Sports-Ag
AG
Caught the second half when spurs took the lead and saw the highlight of the final possession. Poorly executed. Patty Mills with 0 points in 22 minutes. He use to be one of my favorites off the bench but this season he has really struggle.
jteagle
AG
Definitely a tough game to lose. Had a chance to win one on the road without Lamarcus and didn't even get a real shot on the last possession.
Mike Elko
AG
Last night's game sums up the season... It's a lost one.
Pendragon12
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

This loss is on the coaching. The spurs are up 12 in the 4th and Pop takes out our best defensive unit and doesn't put them back in until long after they have blown their lead. All of our offense was isolation in the last two mins. The last play was comical.

Just finished watching. Not sure I agree with you on it's all on coaching.

Our offense went cold again. It's done that all year. He kept Pau in for some rim protection and an experienced 7 footer on the offensive end. Davis was playing well, but he's not a guy that you can park down low, toss it to him high, and he gets those cheap bunnies that Pau seems to get. I'm not trying to say Pau is fantastic, but he had a pretty solid game last night, and I get why Pop left him in late. And maybe swap DG for Manu, but Pop has lived and died by Manu for a long, long time. It usually works out in his favor.

Kyle had a really bad last 2 minutes. Where I question Pop is - Kyle just came out with cramps and you let him run the end of game offense? I mean, Kyle has been really good this year, and he was having a smidge more success than Manu driving to the basket last night, but there's no way he got those cramps taken care of that quickly. I would have rather had Parker in there, or let the kid run it if it was a "let's give someone new a shot at running our late game offense" with Kyle having just had cramping issues.

Patty needs to make more shots in these games. End of story. He can't go for 0 points when we have no Kawhi, Gay, or LA. I don't like harping on Patty. I'm sure he's frustrated too. But he needs to be better for this team. As fans, it feels like we say it every week. At what point does PATFO agree?

What's so frustrating about last night's game, and the season in general, is that we can only imagine what we would look like with a top 3 nba player back in the lineup. Because I honestly cannot believe how we are where we are with LA, some super old HOFers, and some guys making up our team. Just like I can't believe we had Utah on the ropes last night with no LA.
Gregg Papivich
Enzo The Baker said:

Pops too busy with his idiotic radical political views
Ulrich
All of the ranks below exclude Leonard.

Mills is the fourth highest paid player on the team. He is 11th in PER, 8th in usage, 7th in points/36, and 6th in assists/36. On some of the more advanced stats he shows back up in the top 4-5 mostly thanks to his 39% from three, which is (sadly) second on the team among qualifying players after Gasol.

Mills isn't the real problem, but at the same time the spurs made too much of a financial commitment for him to be inconsistent and performing like just another one of the scrubs and walking wounded that currently litter the roster.
Ulrich
It's a 1 point game on the road. The lineup on the floor is Parker, Green, Darrun Hilliard, Derrick White, and Davis Bertans.

This is the real problem. Such a frustrating season.
Guitarsoup
AG
This seems suboptimal.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.