*****2017-2018 San Antonio Spurs*****

297,561 Views | 3490 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by OlRock
Mike Elko
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ganondorf said:

I like getting Rudy back for another year.

Ditto. Well done, Spurs. Beli... Not so much. What a waste of $12 million.

And side note: $40 million per for Paul? Talk about a joke. The guy's falling apart and has never won s***. One of the most overrated players ever.
Pendragon12
AG
Beli was good value. We had atrocious 3 point shooting last season. Beli helps that tremendously, and he'll be a solid veteran presence if Manu hangs it up, TP hangs it up/goes elsewhere, and Green (or others) gets traded. He fits the culture Pop wants, and he's a good shooter. I'm all for it.
Enzo The Baker
AG

Quote:

Ditto. Well done, Spurs. Beli... Not so much. What a waste of $12 million.
The Spurs are in desperate need of a dependable outside shooter. We had 0 of those last year.

He'll be a great piece for our bench and is someone who already knows our system. He becomes even more valuable if Manu retires. It's a great, low-risk signing. $6 million a year for someone who averaged over 13 points (with Philly) is a bargain.
Mike Elko
AG
Fair enough. I just never liked him as a player, regardless of team. If he shoots the 3 well the next two years, I suppose it's worth $6 million. He definitely doesn't bring much else to the squad.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Thought he looked pretty good in a few games I saw him in this season. Think it's a great signing.
Ag Natural
AG
Beli was a very important piece for the Sixers last season.
DTP02
AG
saltydog13 said:

Guitarsoup said:

Woj says we have a high threshold for trading KL and we won't be forced into a bad deal. Still hope of repairing

How many times are they gonna flip flop on hope of repairing/trade inevitable

24 hour cycle requires a new story constantly, and if there isn't a real story they have no qualms about making one up.
Pumpkinhead
AG
DTP02 said:

saltydog13 said:

Guitarsoup said:

Woj says we have a high threshold for trading KL and we won't be forced into a bad deal. Still hope of repairing

How many times are they gonna flip flop on hope of repairing/trade inevitable

24 hour cycle requires a new story constantly, and if there isn't a real story they have no qualms about making one up.
If the Lakers are feeling good about getting LeBron (LeBron and his wife flew into L.A. last night), they may feel less pressure at the moment to not blink first in the poker game with the Spurs. Let's see what LeBron does.
Enzo The Baker
AG
There were reports before LeBron opted out that Kawhi would be uncomfortable playing alongside LeBron James. If I remember correctly, isn't there some connection with Kawhi's group and Kyrie Irving? Maybe Kyrie warned Kawhi.

If for some reason the Lakers miss out on James, you have to imagine they'll just wait for Kawhi next summer and take another sub-500 season.
Enzo The Baker
AG
https://instagr.am/p/BksGomaDxw_
Good Poster
AG
This Spurs roster needs so many more things before it needs a 32 year old Rajon Rondo.
MookieBlaylock
AG
I am a yuuuge Gay man and loves me belli as well

good start for es Purs
flashplayer
AG
MookieBlaylock said:

I am a yuuuge Gay man and loves me belli as well

good start for es Purs

This is pride weekend in San Antonio after all.
saltydog13
AG
So now the spurs are waiting to see where LeBron signs and then going forward with their plan according to Wojnarowski
flashplayer
AG
Guessing that means:

Option A: Lebron signs in the East, Spurs make the Lakers submit to their kings ransom for Kawhi, force Kawhi to play if Lakers don't submit.

Option B: Lebron signs in LA, Spurs make Kawhi play or force Lakers to bend over.

I don't see it playing out differently either way.
Guitarsoup
AG
This tall kid moves pretty well. We should give him a look.

flashplayer
AG
Classic Timmy.
Enzo The Baker
AG
With the Marco and Rudy signings, it seems to me that the Spurs want to remain competitive and will roll with Kawhi next season.
Guitarsoup
AG
jteagle
AG
I like getting Marco back. He averaged 27 mpg and 13 ppg in the post-season for the Sixers and made some clutch shots for them.

I also think Rudy can have a big year this year.
West Texan
AG
Some thoughts after the first night of free agency.

Paul George just did the Spurs a huge favor. By not only not going to LA, but signing a 4 year deal with OKC. It should open up the market for a potential Kawhi trade. Teams shouldn't be as afraid of "I'm going to sign with ______ next season." Gives a bunch of leverage back the Spurs.

LeBron meeting with Philly should really make the Lakers pucker, but also Boston. Boston has a really good team even without Kyrie and Hayward, but do you want to see Lebron next to Simmons and Embiid? Perhaps if he does sign with Philly, it opens up Danny Ainge's tight grip for a possible Kawhi trade.

**** the lakers.

I like Rudy and Marco coming back. They could both play next to Kawhi easily, but it also prepares us a little for a team without him. Belinelli adds much needed shooting, but he and Gay can both create their own shot as well. I also think it means we'll see a lot more of Rudy Gay (and possibly Anderson if he's back) playing the 4. When Marco was here the first time around, he and Danny were the backups SFs. So it would make sense that with or without Kawhi, those two would take a lot of the minutes at SF.
Guitarsoup
AG
Guitarsoup
AG
West Texan
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Simmons for Kawhi. Well, I guess...
Guitarsoup
AG
Woj saying that Embiid/Simmons/Fultz are off limits.

I'm thinking

Zhaire Smith
Covington
Saric
Miami's #1

doesn't get it done for me.
West Texan
AG
Guitarsoup said:

I'm thinking

Zhaire Smith
Covington
Saric
Miami's #1

Cave Johnson, CEO
AG
Guitarsoup said:

I'm thinking

Zhaire Smith
Covington
Saric
Miami's #1

Despite what is being said about Fultz being untradable, do you take it if Fultz is added to that deal?
Guitarsoup
AG
Cave Johnson, CEO said:

Guitarsoup said:

I'm thinking

Zhaire Smith
Covington
Saric
Miami's #1

Despite what is being said about Fultz being untradable, do you take it if Fultz is added to that deal?
Yep.

High risk, high reward. Plus fellow Washington Alum with Murray.

If we get Fultz, I bet they keep Smith.

My ideal Philly trade would be:

Kawhi+Patty
for
Covington+Saric+Fultz+Bayless+Miami Pick

That clears about $6mm for Philly, giving them 35mm to give LeBron and giving them a starting lineup of:

Embiid
Bron
Kawhi
Smith
Simmons

Huge team with great defense that is insanely athletic.

Spurs would be super guard heavy and have to rely on Gay playing a lot of minutes at PF. Maybe we keep Bertrans and have him play some there, too.

Gasol/???
LMA/Saric
Covington/Gay/Beli
Green/Lonnie/Manu?
Fultz/Murray/White/Parker?
West Texan
AG
Cave Johnson, CEO said:

Guitarsoup said:

I'm thinking

Zhaire Smith
Covington
Saric
Miami's #1

Unless PATFO has supreme confidence they can fix his jumper and whatever went on mentally, Fultz isn't enough to me imo. Also, Dejounte, Lonnie Walker, Zhaire Smith, and Fultz are all 6'4"-6'5" guards that haven't proved they can shoot at all. Quite the log jam of young guys.
Sports-Ag
AG
Is Lebron or his team suppose to talk with the Spurs? There were reports in June that he was going to give the Spurs a meeting but with this Kawhi thing don't know if it will still happen.
West Texan
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Cave Johnson, CEO said:

Guitarsoup said:

I'm thinking

Zhaire Smith
Covington
Saric
Miami's #1

Yep.

Kawhi+Patty
for

That clears about $6mm for Philly, giving them 35mm to give LeBron and giving them a starting lineup of:

Embiid
Bron
Kawhi
Smith
Simmons

Outside of Kawhi, there is no shooting in that Philly lineup. Simmons is awful 0-11 from 3 last season, Smith's jumper needs work, Embiid shot 30% last season from 3, and Lebron is a career 34%. Never mind that Lebron and Simmons are both pretty much the same position and need to be bringing the ball up the floor to be effective. It would be a fun lineup defensively, but they'd really struggle to score as you could just pack it in.

Ulrich
Imo they would find a decent shooting vet to start in place of Smith.
Guitarsoup
AG
West Texan said:

Guitarsoup said:

Cave Johnson, CEO said:

Guitarsoup said:

I'm thinking

Zhaire Smith
Covington
Saric
Miami's #1

Yep.

Kawhi+Patty
for

Embiid
Bron
Kawhi
Smith
Simmons

Outside of Kawhi, there is no shooting in that Philly lineup. Simmons is awful 0-11 from 3 last season, Smith's jumper needs work, Embiid shot 30% last season from 3, and Lebron is a career 34%. Never mind that Lebron and Simmons are both pretty much the same position and need to be bringing the ball up the floor to be effective. It would be a fun lineup defensively, but they'd really struggle to score as you could just pack it in.

Zhaire Smith hit 45% of his threes in college and shot 56% from the field.
LeBron hit 37% of his threes last year and shot 5 per game.
Guitarsoup
AG
Ulrich said:

Imo they would find a decent shooting vet to start in place of Smith.
With that trade, you have enough size to start Patty at SG against many teams.

Also, JJ Reddick may take a smaller deal to stay on since Philly overpaid him 23mm last year. That was possibly the deal with him.

"We overpay you to come here and next year, if we sign LeBron, you take the vet min to start next to him."

Then you have

Embiid
Bron
Kawhi
Reddick
Simmons

With patty and smith coming off the bench.
West Texan
AG
Guitarsoup said:

West Texan said:

Guitarsoup said:

Cave Johnson, CEO said:

Guitarsoup said:

I'm thinking

Zhaire Smith
Covington
Saric
Miami's #1

Yep.

Kawhi+Patty
for

Embiid
Bron
Kawhi
Smith
Simmons

Zhaire Smith hit 45% of his threes in college and shot 56% from the field.
LeBron hit 37% of his threes last year and shot 5 per game.

Smith shot 45% on 1.1 attempts per game. I'm not saying he can't develop into a shooter, but one of the knocks on him was that he's not a proven shooter. And do you really want Lebron sitting on the 3 point line waiting for kick outs or do you want the ball in the best player in the worlds hands to create?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.