*****2017-2018 San Antonio Spurs*****

306,902 Views | 3490 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by OlRock
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Kawhi's mouthpiece weighing in:

BlackLab
AG
Quote:

However, Bulpett revealed that the Celtics are not willing to include Jaylen Brown or Jayson Tatum in the trade package that they will offer to the Spurs for Kawhi Leonard. This could be the reason why the Spurs immediately ended their conversation with the Celtics.
DTP02
AG
BlackLab said:

Quote:

However, Bulpett revealed that the Celtics are not willing to include Jaylen Brown or Jayson Tatum in the trade package that they will offer to the Spurs for Kawhi Leonard. This could be the reason why the Spurs immediately ended their conversation with the Celtics.

If we can't at least get Brown forget it.
Pendragon12
AG
I only like the Lakers trade if PATFO feels like they can make something out of those guys. If they're JAGs, then I completely and totally support not making any deal with the Lakers...unless it's a 3-team situation that we have a better chance to get better pieces.
Ulrich
Boston fans are like every other team, they always think if they stack up enough crap it equals a superstar. If Kawhi goes in a trade, they are going to get a really good player back in the deal.
BlackLab
AG
Quote:

The Los Angeles Lakers have reportedly made the San Antonio Spurs a "Godfather offer" for superstar forward Kawhi Leonard, according to Sam Amick of USA Today.

A "Godfather offer" is generally defined as an offer so good that it can't be refused. Amick added that the offer has other teams wondering if anyone else can compete with the package L.A. has put together for the two-time All-Star.
Guitarsoup
AG
BlackLab said:

Quote:

Ainge is greedy as ****.

Having Gordon/Brown/Kawhi each playing 32 minutes a game at SG/SF isn't good enough for you?
Sports-Ag
AG
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia said:

Kawhi's mouthpiece weighing in:

So Jabari told us what we already know. If Kawhi does leave does Jabari follow him? Will he become Kawhi's Windhorst to Lebron?
Guitarsoup
AG
BlackLab said:

Quote:

The Los Angeles Lakers have reportedly made the San Antonio Spurs a "Godfather offer" for superstar forward Kawhi Leonard, according to Sam Amick of USA Today.

A "Godfather offer" is generally defined as an offer so good that it can't be refused. Amick added that the offer has other teams wondering if anyone else can compete with the package L.A. has put together for the two-time All-Star.

The godfather offer? Magic must have included Alex Caruso, too.
Pendragon12
AG
I feel like the only way Boston moves Brown is if they feel confident in Kawhi's medical situation, and get a longer term commitment. And I don't blame them. You have Jaylen locked up essentially for a while, he's showing major potential, and he appears to have lower injury risk.

That said, Kawhi is hands down better than Brown when healthy, and will make Boston as close to Warriors-East as they can probably be. I think if Boston gets the above, PATFO will not accept anything less than a trade with Brown as the centerpiece, and a first of some sort. Tatum would be aaaaamazing, but I don't see them moving him at this point.
Ulrich
BlackLab said:

Quote:

We're getting Caruso!

Do the Lakers even have a godfather offer to make? Ingram and Ball are their only real assets from a player standpoint, and they are both unrealized potential and one comes with a circus. Picks are probably fools gold since they would have Kawhi and George. Taking back Gasol and Mills would certainly sweeten the deal, but could they engineer the salaries to assemble the team they want? Seems like a LOT of obstacles to navigate. Maybe a multiteam deal, but that gets even more complicated even if it adds some flexibility.
DTP02
AG
I don't see how the Lakers can put together a "Godfather offer," unless they'd be willing to take back Patty and/or Gasol and clear us up cap space, but they have to have space to sign LeBron and George and pay for Kawhi. Their young pieces just aren't that great. They may be able to put together a deal that's better than anyone else will give us, but I don't think it'd be a no-brainer type deal.
Guitarsoup
AG
Randle
Ingram
Kuzma
Caruso
Unprotected 1st rounders in 4-6 years

No way LA takes Patty or Gasol without dumping Deng's 17mm/year for two years on us. They need the cap space to sign Bron+George.
Guitarsoup
AG
Quote:

Guitarsoup
AG
Would you rather:

Randle
Ingram
Kuzma
Caruso
Crap 1sts

or

Fultz
Covington
Saric
Picks (Unprotected 2021 Miami pick?)
Pendragon12
AG
The Philly offer if Fultz's shot is fixable. The unprotected Miami pick puts it clearly over the top.
Guitarsoup
AG
Pendragon12 said:

The Philly offer if Fultz's shot is fixable. The unprotected Miami pick puts it clearly over the top.
I believe in Chip Engelland
*praying hands*
AG
Philly hands down
Sports-Ag
AG
https://twitter.com/BlakeMurphyODC/status/1012371713626009601?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Funny tweet
Guitarsoup
AG
In that scenario, Philly would also save a few bucks that could go towards their free agency war chest, bringing them almost up to 35mm, which means Bron.

Embiid
Bron
Kawhi
Simmons

Maybe Reddick takes the vet min after getting that 25mm last year to join on that.
Pendragon12
AG
The lack of outside shooting would make that a somewhat poor fit for how Lebron has shaped his teams recently.

But the talent would be incredible.
Ulrich
Guitarsoup said:

Randle
Ingram
Kuzma
Caruso
Unprotected 1st rounders in 4-6 years

No way LA takes Patty or Gasol without dumping Deng's 17mm/year for two years on us. They need the cap space to sign Bron+George.

So we end up with:

Mills / Murray / Caruso / Parker / White
Green / Manu / Walker / Forbes / Paul
Ingram / Anderson
Gay / Kuzma / Bertans / Randle
Aldridge / Gasol / Lauvergne

That's 19 players. Lauvergne is probably headed out and there are Forbes, Paul, White and Bertans are very expendable players, Anderson probably becomes a keeper. I think Gay leaves based on that roster.

Mills / Murray / Caruso / Parker
Green / Manu / Walker
Ingram / Anderson
Kuzma / Randle
Aldridge / Gasol

Aldridge is the number 1. Ingram is the number 2.

Point guard is still a train wreck. Respectively, it's a tiny shooting guard, a decent small forward, a UFA sophomore, and a point guard with 45,000 minutes under his belt.

Shooting guard makes sense. Experience, defense, and upside.

The front court is weird. Gasol is terrible. Aldridge is great. Then we have the front court from a team looking up at mediocre. There's upside there, but it'll take a heck of a coaching job to weld it into a functioning playoff team.
Pendragon12
AG
That Philly offer would be best-case scenario. Saric seems solid. Sending Kawhi east would go against the current trend of talented guys coming west, so you have to deal with him only a couple of times/year, and only in the finals. The unprotected pick could be incredibly valuable. And if Fultz is fixed by Engelland, he could turn into a fantastic player.

I imagine DJ would be happy having another UW guy with him.
FTAG 2000
AG
DTP02 said:

I don't see how the Lakers can put together a "Godfather offer," unless they'd be willing to take back Patty and/or Gasol and clear us up cap space, but they have to have space to sign LeBron and George and pay for Kawhi. Their young pieces just aren't that great. They may be able to put together a deal that's better than anyone else will give us, but I don't think it'd be a no-brainer type deal.
"Godfather" packaging is probably what Jeannie and Magic came up with and leaked hoping for the Spurs to buy in.

Guitarsoup
AG
Here is Philly:

https://tradenba.com/players?tid=27&tid=23

Phill saves about 6mm on this year's cap and it gives them the added room to sign LeBron.

Here is LA:

https://tradenba.com/players?tid=27&tid=14

Patty+Kawhi
for
Deng (oof)
Hart
Randle
Ingram
Kuzma
Caruso

Salaries match. I think once Randle resigns, Deng+Patty are removed to make salaries work.
Ulrich
Pendragon12 said:

The lack of outside shooting would make that a somewhat poor fit for how Lebron has shaped his teams recently.

Put LeBron, Kawhi, Embiid, and Simmons on the same team and every decent vet who will take a discount to chase a ring is on the phone the next morning.
Guitarsoup
AG
Woj Story

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23935910/san-antonio-spurs-engaged-los-angeles-lakers-boston-celtics-kawhi-leonard-trade-talks
Ulrich
I'm just glad there are multiple teams and some urgency from the Lakers. At least we'll get SOMETHING back now.
AG
Woj brings up a good point that i kinda forgot about. Lakers were super confident that PG was eventually coming to LA that they low-balled Indiana and was ultimately was traded to OKC, who ended up making enough of an impression on him that him going to LA is now no longer a foregone conclusion. The Lakers risk the exact same thing happening if SA trades KL to Philly or Boston. he has a good year there, makes the finals, enjoys the team, etc, he might decide to resign there instead of going back to Cali.
BBQ4Me
AG
Ulrich said:

Pendragon12 said:

Put LeBron, Kawhi, Embiid, and Simmons on the same team and every decent vet who will take a discount to chase a ring is on the phone the next morning.

That would be an insanely good defensive team
Guitarsoup
AG
Ulrich
I'm guessing they are trying to make it Hayward+ for Kawhi. Obviously depends on what makes up the plus, but I'm not excited about that deal.
O'Doyle Rules
AG
If I were the spurs id take a SLIGHTLY worse deal from Boston just to keep KL out of LA and the western conf
Pendragon12
AG
Maybe I'm wrong, but I think Boston only gets serious if Philly is serious. Even then, they have very little reason to gamble their young assets on Kawhi.

Unless it's possible that Philly can keep Kawhi long term, and they're working a deal to get him and entice Lebron to join too. Otherwise, Boston likely sees a future where they're top in the east for a few years with their current roster.
Ulrich
If you're Boston it definitely seems like you have to try, but I also don't think they should do anything crazy. Get Hayward and Kyrie healthy and they are a contender without making any moves.

I'm still waiting for LAC, PHO, MIA or someone to come out of nowhere with a monster offer.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.