*****2017-2018 San Antonio Spurs*****

306,920 Views | 3490 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by OlRock
Pendragon12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I think expecting Tatum and Brown is unrealistic.

I think one of those (I think I'd prefer Tatum...less of an offensive project though Brown has looked good recently), Baynes, a pick maybe, and a Rozier would work out well for the Spurs. Which makes me think Boston wouldn't do it, but Kawhi + Kyrie + Hayward + one of Tatum/Brown would be an amazing core group of guys who are all young or early into their primes. Downside is you have two injury-prone guys in Kyrie and Kawhi, but if they stay healthy, I think Boston could dominate the NBA for a few years.

I don't know if any other young pieces interest me as a Spurs fan. I mean, of course an AD or KAT or Giannis, but those guys aren't young pieces anymore, they're stars. The Lakers have nice pieces, but I don't think any of them are really worth a Kawhi level player. That said, those guys would be better than being hung out to dry.
CactusThomas
AG
Exactly.

This idea that the Celtics will go from one of the most savvy teams in regards to personnel management to the Cleveland Browns overnight is foolish.
Ulrich
I'm not sure I see a deal that both sides will think is worth it. Every opposing fan thinks they can get Kawhi for promising rookie, a pick, and a mediocre vet. That's not enough for a proven top 2-3 player.
Pumpkinhead
AG

Quote:

Iggy turns 35 next season. He won't be there to lock down the best players forever.
Spurs this year had three guys in their rotation older than iggy (see below).

Tony Parker - 35 years old
Pau Gasol - 37 years old
Manu Ginobli - 40 years old

Everyone has to plan and account for Father Time.

And Pop is turning 70 next January. Googling around, it seems like the oldest NBA head coach in history was Hubie Brown who coached the Memphis Grizzlies at 71 years old in 2003-2004. Pop if he goes another couple of seasons would be breaking some new ground in terms of oldest NBA coach ever.

Ulrich
Two of our guys already fell off the cliff though... Iguodala has a lot farther left to fall.
flashplayer
AG
If Parker doesn't improve significantly over the summer (I'm hopeful in speculating that his injury was nowhere near fully healed when he came back), I would have a hard time offering him anything more than a 1 year deal, which doesn't really harm either party, and the money commitment won't matter as much for the Spurs. He looks too shaky to get much else. Maybe another shot at a contract year performance is in order.

Let's not forget that he was playing really well in last years playoffs before the injury. He might still have some quality miles left in the tank as a reserve. It seems like Manu had a gawdawful couple years around age 36-38 (recalling what I remember so don't quote me stats) until undergoing a Renaissance the last two years with some quality reserve play.

Hopefully Tony can borrow his recipe.

Gasol is just trash and should only be used situationally for three point shooting or when there is another giant stiff in the game.
Guitarsoup
AG
A Story About Manu

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2018/4/26/17282894/manu-ginobili-future-san-antonio-spurs-nba-playoffs-retirement
DTP02
AG
A story about Kawhi:

http://beta.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/kawhi-leonard-potential-spurs-split-interest-knicks-article-1.3954575

MookieBlaylock
AG
Parker was done the moment he got hurt
his rehab and work rate is epic

but dudes been playin pro ball since he was 15 and when you lose the speed it's over

1 year get minimum bc he can learn to coach

flashplayer
AG
I disagree on Tony obviously. I think if he can get enough leg strength back to shoot that medium range jumper at above 40% he can still be effective as a backup on offense. They only need him to put in about 18mpg at most and just handle the ball and avoid TOs mostly.

The bigger issue I see with him is that if grouped with Manu and Pau (all a year older), that is an atrocious defensive lineup for a 2nd unit. They'd need to be paired with a couple badasses on D to not get destroyed on that end.

Matt_ag98
Not Spurs related but I love how the front page of ESPN right now is a pic Harden committing an offensive foul to score a bucket, can't the NBA do something about the garbage game he plays.
aggie_fan13
AG
No because the NBA dickrides him, steph and lebron. Also **** houston
Enzo The Baker
AG
Article on the Kawhi situation. Not too much new info.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23366667/inside-tension-kawhi-leonard-spurs

Quote:

Leonard had intended to leave New York, join the team and support Popovich if he coached one of the games after his wife's death, according to sources close to both men. When Popovich did not return, Leonard decided to stay and train. But the sentiment was an indication of the strength of their bond.
Guitarsoup
AG
Peter Vescey of Paetron.com reports that Kawhi is done in San Antonio and will be traded to the East.
flashplayer
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Peter Vescey of Paetron.com reports that Kawhi is done in San Antonio and will be traded to the East.

The 1990s called and they want their awful NBA media personality back.
Guitarsoup
AG
He's pulling almost $1200/month with all his supporters!
dave99ag
AG
Is that site like a GoFundMe for old reporters?
Guitarsoup
AG
dave99ag said:

Is that site like a GoFundMe for old reporters?
Basically for content creators. Lots of YouTube personalities and what not set one up. If you donate their monthly amount, you get bonus content and what not.
AggieOO
Yeah, a lot of the podcasts and such I listen to use it. It's what pays for your free podcasts since there are typical few/no ads on a lot of them.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Kawhi is back in San Antonio.
LouisHerbertWong
AG
But no meeting with Spurs set... Baby steps.
dave99ag
AG
This seems appropriate right now except Kawhi is on the other end of the table.

Sports-Ag
AG
Milwaukee plans to interview Messina and Hammon.
Guitarsoup
AG
Guy is breaking down all the Chinese Nicknames for NBA players.

Steph's is pretty great:

So is the Greek Freak.

From back when Kawhi was an NBA player:

West Texan
AG
The Demon Blade is super badass
Enzo The Baker
AG
Borrego to Charlotte.
jteagle
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Borrego to Charlotte.
LawHall88
LawHall88
AG
LouisHerbertWong
AG
He looks confused and outta place...
Guitarsoup
AG
Parker said he wants to play 20 seasons, even if they aren't with the Spurs.

Guess Pop told him he is done.
OldArmy71
AG
nm
aggie_fan13
AG
old man parker needs to retire and call it a day, ridiculous if he plays for another team
flashplayer
AG
Parker needs to take a one year deal or hit the road.
Ag Natural
AG
Tony has been saying this for a while now. He knows there's no guarantee the Spurs keep him.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.