*****2017-2018 San Antonio Spurs*****

292,307 Views | 3490 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by OlRock
ATM9000
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
West Texan said:

ATM9000 said:

West Texan said:

Guitarsoup said:

My #1 trade would be to Boston for Tatum, Rozier, Morris, filler and the Sacramento 2019 pick.

LA for Ingram, Kuzma, Deng and picks could work except it creates the ability for LA to bring in Kawhi, Bron, and George.

I've heard Sacramento #2 and Bogdan Bogdanovic and the Spurs take Luka. Maybe we could force CauleyStein in to play C.

One of my favorites I've seen (although I don't see this happening): Spurs, Cavs, Grizz

Spurs get George Hill, pick #4, and pick #8

Cavs get Kawhi and Chandler Parsons

Memphis gets Kevin Love

Money works out, we get two top ten picks, Cleveland has something to offer Lebron to stay, and Memphis unloads Parsons awful contract and get someone to pair next to Conley and Gasol.

The Cavs absorb a worse contract, lose Love and give up 8 to get a 1 year Kawhi rental with little cap relief... no way in hell they do that.

I already said that I don't think this happens. For the sake of playing devils advocate... OKC gave up Oladipo for a one year rental of Paul George in the hope that they could convince him to stay. If the cavs thought that getting Kawhi would convince Lebron to stay, and perhaps playing with Lebron could convince Kawhi to sign an extension.

I think the Paul George situation is actually a realistic node of comparison for the Spurs and remember hat basically everyone (including me) thought that the Pacers got bent over in that trade. Nobody saw Oladipo becoming what he did last season so the Pacers got a bit lucky there. Also that scenario worked for OKC because they thought they were closer to contending (oops). Lebron-less Cavs assuming that happens aren't 1 Kawhi away from contending.

I wouldn't expect the Spurs to get a kings ransom for Kawhi in this scenario. If you get 2 high picks, expect to be the team to absorb a contract like Parson's too in that deal but even then, I doubt 2 top 10 picks are in scope.
DTP02
AG
So I've been off the grid for most of the last 24 hours and saw 117 new posts on the Spurs thread. Silly me thought there must have been some credible report of LeBron interest in SA. Dang.

This really makes how Kawhi's handled the past 9 months look pretty bad. It's a shame.
aggie_fan13
AG
Im gonna get ****faced til this all makes sense, see you in 24 hours friends
West Texan
AG
azulAg said:

Im gonna get ****faced til this all makes sense, see you in 24 hours friends

It ain't gonna make sense in 24 hours, bud. You might wanna go ahead and call the hospital for alcohol poisoning if that's your plan.
aggie_fan13
AG
im raitonalizing it as we speek
aggie_fan13
AG
What if wehn we won the championship, kawhis uncle decided to enter his life . he started to fathom the idea that he is a potential superstar in the making and from that point knew he needed to be traded to another market. He seized the opprtunity when zaza injured him, then decided to ,manipulate kawhi away from the spurs team. it all makes perfect ****ing sense. it was his UNCLE
saltydog13
AG
Is this more or less the same situation that we had with Timmy wanting to sign with Orlando back in 2000?
mike_ags_fan12
What's the percentage of him being dealt to Phoenix or sac for the 1 or 2 picks and some players? Herschel walker him.
Good Poster
AG
mike_ags_fan12 said:

What's the percentage of him being dealt to Phoenix or sac for the 1 or 2 picks and some players? Herschel walker him.

Pretty low because teams like that have to be really confident they can sign him or else he walks and they gave up a top 2 pick for one season of Kawhi coming back from injury.
Guitarsoup
AG
saltydog13 said:

Is this more or less the same situation that we had with Timmy wanting to sign with Orlando back in 2000?

Completely different
Pumpkinhead
AG

Quote:

What trading Kawhi Leonard does to the Spurs' timeline
Quote:

Assessing the stakes at risk while considering the seemingly inevitable Leonard trade.

https://www.poundingtherock.com/2018/6/16/17360980/trade-kawhi-leonard-san-antonio-spurs-timeline
Guitarsoup
AG

Maker
LMA
Middleton
Murray
Brogdon

Plus I would love to see Giannis and Kawhi, until Kawhi cries himself out of Milwaukee.

--------------

Kawhi+Gasol for Tristan Thompson+Jordan Clarkson+#8. Cleveland gets Bron to stay and they have Love+Kawhi+Bron. Bron doesn't hurt his precious legacy by jumping to create another superteam.

---------------

Kawhi + Gasol to Phx for
Josh Jackson
Tyson Chandler
filler (1y of Jared Dudley, unguaranteed of Alan Williams)

Chandler (Who pop has wanted for a long time)
LMA
Josh Jackson
Green?
Murray

#16 & #18. Maybe try to put together something to move up for Luka. Phx gets to build around Booker, Kawhi and #1.

West Texan
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Maker
LMA
Middleton
Murray
Brogdon

Plus I would love to see Giannis and Kawhi, until Kawhi cries himself out of Milwaukee.

--------------

Kawhi+Gasol for Tristan Thompson+Jordan Clarkson+#8. Cleveland gets Bron to stay and they have Love+Kawhi+Bron. Bron doesn't hurt his precious legacy by jumping to create another superteam.

---------------

Kawhi + Gasol to Phx for
Josh Jackson
Tyson Chandler
filler (1y of Jared Dudley, unguaranteed of Alan Williams)

Chandler (Who pop has wanted for a long time)
LMA
Josh Jackson
Green?
Murray

#16 & #18. Maybe try to put together something to move up for Luka. Phx gets to build around Booker, Kawhi and #1.

flashplayer
AG
If Kawhi is really leaving, I trade Lamarcus too. He's not an alpha but he's good enough that you're not going to suck and you will not get a good draft pick next year with LMA bringing the team up.

Lamarcus trade value is at its peak right now coming off that really good season.

Keep Patty so you can make the team worse. This will be a 3-4 year rebuild at minimum anyway, so no harm in keeping him anymore.

This blows for the Spurs. Manu will probably retire now too.
Guitarsoup
AG
Apparently Memphis is dangling the #4 pick for two years of Chandler Parsons at 50mm.

Manu opts in and retires
Manu+Pau+Brandon Paul for Chandler+#4 (Luka)

Rebuild time
Good Poster
AG
Guitarsoup said:

This trade is so comically bad and lopsided I feel dumber for just reading it.
West Texan
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Apparently Memphis is dangling the #4 pick for two years of Chandler Parsons at 50mm.

Manu opts in and retires
Manu+Pau+Brandon Paul for Chandler+#4 (Luka)

Rebuild time

I know Memphis wants out of Parsons awful contract and that's a lot of cap flexibility going forward, they're not getting anything from us for that pick. If we pull that off without trading Kawhi, then we can really be cooking by working two deals.
Guitarsoup
AG
Paul is unguaranteed.
Pau is owed 23mm over two years, but it could be stretched to five. So 4.6mm/ year.
Manu gets 2.5mm to retire.

Memphis saves around 26mm over two years and if they stretch Pau, they gain about 16mm in space this year.

Or they can go with story of bringing Pau back to Memphis and reuniting him with Marc.

If the keep Pau, they still save about 5mm this year and 20mm next year.

Great deal for both teams
ATM9000
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Paul is unguaranteed.
Pau is owed 23mm over two years, but it could be stretched to five. So 4.6mm/ year.
Manu gets 2.5mm to retire.

Memphis saves around 26mm over two years and if they stretch Pau, they gain about 16mm in space this year.

Or they can go with story of bringing Pau back to Memphis and reuniting him with Marc.

If the keep Pau, they still save about 5mm this year and 20mm next year.

Great deal for both teams

There are a ton of other deals out there that Memphis could do with 4 and Parsons that destroy this deal.

Cleveland, Chicago, Dallas and Brooklyn for example can and probably would offer a much better salary dump package than this one.

That's not a great deal for Memphis.
jteagle
AG
AGnNoCo
AG
Well, apparently, the Spurs won't trade Kawhi to a team in the west...
TyHolden
AG
PizzaAg said:

thats good news. Boston then?
Enzo The Baker
AG
Quote:

Peter Vecsey: Combined with the incontrovertible fact that Kawhi's placid personality is a perfect fit in San Antonio and torturously unfit to cope with the media madness of Los Angeles and New York even Boston, Philadelphia, Chicago and Miami I'm convinced a reconciliation is imminent. The fact Kawhi is building a home in San Antonio for himself, and one, I'm told, for his mother, somewhat bolsters that conclusion though athletes' custom-made residences certainly don't guarantee an iota of permanency.

In a cell conversation yesterday with Kawhi's fringe friend (see above car quote), my first words were ones I've often promoted: "You know, I'm only as good as my source. What can you tell me?" Enough so that I'm thoroughly disinclined to believe Kawhi and Pop can't patch things up, predominantly because their relationship isn't in need of a large patch. From what I'm told, they've never exchanged harsh words or gone off on each other. A single problem existed last season that would not go away: Kawhi's caregivers and doctors felt his repaired quad wasn't entirely healthy when he returned 28 games into the season. After nine, some very effective, minute-monitored games, they insisted he return to rehab.

But there is a reason they're called 'team' doctors, and not players' doctors they're paid by the team. "The media made it seem as if the Spurs and Kawhi's people weren't communicating. Like they didn't know where he was and how things were going," my source said. "They were in constant touch. I think Pop made Mitch wear a helmet cam. "The Spurs had their opinion regarding what should be done. Kawhi's people disagreed. I don't see any reason why both sides can't move forward together."
Enzo The Baker
AG
PizzaAg said:

Where did you hear that?
TyHolden
AG
LA teams concerned about his health....

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2781554-kawhi-leonard-rumors-lakers-clippers-concerned-over-stars-quadriceps-injury
West Texan
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Quote:

Peter Vecsey: Combined with the incontrovertible fact that Kawhi's placid personality is a perfect fit in San Antonio and torturously unfit to cope with the media madness of Los Angeles and New York even Boston, Philadelphia, Chicago and Miami I'm convinced a reconciliation is imminent. The fact Kawhi is building a home in San Antonio for himself, and one, I'm told, for his mother, somewhat bolsters that conclusion though athletes' custom-made residences certainly don't guarantee an iota of permanency.

In a cell conversation yesterday with Kawhi's fringe friend (see above car quote), my first words were ones I've often promoted: "You know, I'm only as good as my source. What can you tell me?" Enough so that I'm thoroughly disinclined to believe Kawhi and Pop can't patch things up, predominantly because their relationship isn't in need of a large patch. From what I'm told, they've never exchanged harsh words or gone off on each other. A single problem existed last season that would not go away: Kawhi's caregivers and doctors felt his repaired quad wasn't entirely healthy when he returned 28 games into the season. After nine, some very effective, minute-monitored games, they insisted he return to rehab.

But there is a reason they're called 'team' doctors, and not players' doctors they're paid by the team. "The media made it seem as if the Spurs and Kawhi's people weren't communicating. Like they didn't know where he was and how things were going," my source said. "They were in constant touch. I think Pop made Mitch wear a helmet cam. "The Spurs had their opinion regarding what should be done. Kawhi's people disagreed. I don't see any reason why both sides can't move forward together."

Where is this from? This is completely contradictory from everything we've heard the last couple days.
Pumpkinhead
AG
DSAg44 said:

LA teams concerned about his health....

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2781554-kawhi-leonard-rumors-lakers-clippers-concerned-over-stars-quadriceps-injury

Other teams like Lakers or Clippers will want to drive down the price for Kawhi, camouflage as much as possible their intentions, etc. So take anything being leaked or put out to the media via sources from Spurs, Kawhi's camp, or other teams with a grain of salt, recognizing that there is a high stakes poker game being played here.
Enzo The Baker
AG
It was from a Peter Vescey an article from Patreon. Came up on hoopshype.

The article is titled 'Kawhi Leonard Trade Report Sounds Bogus, Reunion with Spurs likely.'

Although that title in itself sounds bogus.
West Texan
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

It was from a Peter Vescey an article from Patreon. Came up on hoopshype.

The article is titled 'Kawhi Leonard Trade Report Sounds Bogus, Reunion with Spurs likely.'

Although that title in itself sounds bogus.

That's at least a small glimmer of hope.
flashplayer
AG
Peter Vescey - has he ever really been a credible insider? Even back in the late 90s / early 2000s when he was more a known name in NBA media, I never remember him having inside information.
Guitarsoup
AG

Quote:

There are a ton of other deals out there that Memphis could do with 4 and Parsons that destroy this deal.
How many teams want to destroy $30mm of cap space eliminating their ability to sign a good FA this year or next on Chandler Parsons?
flashplayer
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Quote:

How many teams want to destroy $30mm of cap space eliminating their ability to sign a good FA this year or next on Chandler Parsons?

Somehow I picture the New York Knicks raising their hand to a question like this.
Guitarsoup
AG
flashplayer said:

Guitarsoup said:

Quote:

Somehow I picture the New York Knicks raising their hand to a question like this.
True, however, the Knicks have 13 players under contract and are over the cap already. Can't offer much relief to the Grizz. But the Knicks could send back 2y/38mm of Joakim Noah.
Guitarsoup
AG
E-N reporting the Spurs are actively shopping Pau Gasol.
flashplayer
AG
They also reported that Pau has expressed an interest in finishing his career playing in Spain. Hopefully they can unload him.

He had a hall of fame career in my opinion, but he's clearly done, even moreso than Manu.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.