*****2017-2018 San Antonio Spurs*****

297,569 Views | 3490 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by OlRock
jteagle
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Manu is back tonight. Let's hope he provides the spark that they need.
Matsui
AG
Winner
Ulrich
As of now, the Parker-led pick and roll is still our most effective offense. I get why they are starting Murray; they want to see what he can do, he needs reps, and when he's on the floor with the starters there's theoretically plenty of offensive firepower to help him... but it's still a pretty rough offense. His defense is ok and his rebounding is great. Currently, he's a small forward in a shooting guard's body. If the playoffs started tomorrow, I think I'd rather have Parker starting and Murray playing with Manu off the bench.
Iowaggie
AG
jteagle said:

Manu is back tonight. Let's hope he provides the spark that they need.

Guitarsoup
AG
Boban is a Clipper.
LawHall88
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Boban is a Clipper.

So now they have Deandre's replacement...
superunknown
AG
Former Spur Rasual Butler and his wife were killed in a car accident.

jteagle
AG
superunknown said:

Former Spur Rasual Butler and his wife were killed in a car accident.

Very sad. I always liked Rasual even thought he wasn't here long.
Ag Natural
AG
Only heard great things about Butler. Very sad.
dshedd41
S
Truly tragic
Gig’em Aggies!
Iowaggie
AG
Moderately Spurs related

Enzo The Baker
AG
Chris Paul sure is a tough guy tough talking a 21 year old at the FT line. Dude's garbage.
MookieBlaylock
AG
Harden is good

Not sure what Paul does except poach stats6
Enzo The Baker
AG
This is a game where we could have really used Simmons.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Parker doesn't even look like he's in the game. He's just not the same player.
Enzo The Baker
AG
How is Harden's stepback not a travel? That guy gets away with more than anyone in the league.
Ulrich
They can have the regular season. If we get Kawhi back for the playoffs I'm not worried.
Pendragon12
AG
Frustrating game. We got good looks, just couldn't make them. And there were some questionable calls tonight, but whatever. Still had a slim chance down the stretch.

LA looked bothered with his knee. Hope it's just a normal niggle and nothing more serious. He's carrying us right now.
Ag Natural
AG
Utah absolutely doesn't miss tonight. Plus they outscore us by 30 at the FT line. Apparently Ricky Rubio is unguardable.
Enzo The Baker
AG
The Spurs still have one of the toughest schedules remaining. It'll be interesting to see how far they fall before Kawhi gets back. They have been playing .500 ball for the last month or so.

If they end up having to shut Kawhi down for the year, I wouldn't mind seeing us fall to the 7th or 8th seed tbh. It would be nice having a decent pick in the draft for once. With our terrible salaries (Mills and Gasol) and trying to re-sign Danny, we need to get value somewhere.
Ulrich
TPs contract ends this year and Gasol's, while too high, is not crazy and probably movable to the right club. Mills contract is stupid though. Too high, too long, it's a material percentage of the cap, and he's a niche piece that only had value to a team like the spurs that moves the ball a lot and can hide him on defense except that he doesn't even have a clear role on the team anymore. We're just going to have to wait that one out for a couple more years.

It would be nice to have a solid draft pick this year. Not that there are many weaknesses when Kawhi comes back, but getting a combo guard or post with upside into the system would be nice.
Matsui
AG
Is everyone confident Leonard will be with the spurs next year?
Ag Natural
AG
I think it's hilarious that some Internet experts have a 180 degree different opinion of Patty than his own coach does.
Sports-Ag
AG
Spurs was making their shots in the fourth but could not get a stop. Spurs made a run to get within 1 point at 94-93 then Utah makes 4 straight 3 pointers. The defense wasn't great and Rubio and Utah could not miss.
Ulrich
Ag Natural said:

I think it's hilarious that some Internet experts have a 180 degree different opinion of Patty than his own coach does.

Mills used to be one of my favorite players, but he's slipped on both ends. Why pay 12mm a year for 4 years for a 5'11 shooting guard hitting sub 40% from behind the arc and 42% from the floor?
Enzo The Baker
AG
Ulrich said:

Ag Natural said:

Mills used to be one of my favorite players, but he's slipped on both ends. Why pay 12mm a year for 4 years for a 5'11 shooting guard hitting sub 40% from behind the arc and 42% from the floor?

Not to mention Pop has even put Forbes in before Mills for a handful of these last games and has given him much longer runs than Mills throughout the season.
Sports-Ag
AG
I sure hope so. Do you all think we can keep the streak going and get to 50 wins and have a winning road record?

Current road record through February 4:
12-15
Ag Natural
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Ulrich said:

Ag Natural said:

Not to mention Pop has even put Forbes in before Mills for a handful of these last games and has given him much longer runs than Mills throughout the season.

So Mills was a bargain for many years and now hes not. Meanhwile, we have guys like Murray, Forbes, Anderson and Bertans contributing quite a bit with very low salaries. This org has been able to find talent and cultivate it. They have also routinely over paid old guys. It's the cycle of life with the Spurs. The older players are great mentors to the young guys. What you see as a bad contract the Spurs see as an investment in the program. I promise you if they thought Mills was useless he'd be gone.
Ulrich
Exactly... it's not that I think he's not worth having on the team, I just think the spurs overcommitted to a guy who is fighting Bryn Forbes for the 5th backcourt spot after Murray, Green, Parker, and Manu. A small premium for continuity, sure, but substitution patterns indicate that there's no 180 degree difference in opinion.
Ulrich
Ag Natural said:

Enzo The Baker said:

Ulrich said:

Ag Natural said:

So Mills was a bargain for many years and now hes not. Meanhwile, we have guys like Murray, Forbes, Anderson and Bertans contributing quite a bit with very low salaries. This org has been able to find talent and cultivate it. They have also routinely over paid old guys. It's the cycle of life with the Spurs. The older players are great mentors to the young guys. What you see as a bad contract the Spurs see as an investment in the program. I promise you if they thought Mills was useless he'd be gone.

Mills was a bargain for a year or two, and he took that contract to get back into the NBA from China or wherever. His second contract averaged to fair; bad years offset good years. They don't owe him anything.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Ag Natural said:

Enzo The Baker said:

Ulrich said:

Ag Natural said:

Mills isn't a bargain because his 13% of our cap space doesn't match his output this season.

I get that we cultivate young players and need vets to do so. But this season, in reality, Bertans, Murray, and Forbes haven't found any consistency which is why the Spurs are desperate to find something that sticks (Hilliard).

And our vets like Anderson (much improved), Pau, Manu (overall a solid season) and Tony have had a lot of lapses this year whether it be to age or other factors. This coupled with the inconsistency from our young guys, it's not a surprise that we are playing 500 ball right now.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Also even if they tried I don't think the Spurs could move Mills. The only trade value he would have is if the Spurs took on a anther long term contract with a bigger salary for a team that was tying to unload someone.
Ag Natural
AG
There's just a little too much hindsight for my taste in evaluating that decision sign Mills. At the time, nobody was predicting the Parker would come back anytime soon or that Murray would eventually be the starter or that Forbes would be such a player. We also didn't know if Manu was playing another year and we definitely didn't know that Kawhi was injured.

So yeah, many didn't like the numbers but I didn't see many alternatives offered. We also have no idea what Mills options were.

All that being said, recent history has proven you can't always judge a contract in year one anyway. Manu had a down year after signing his big deal. LA has taken a couple years to really find his place. This organization has a way of getting guys right.
Ulrich
You bring up some good points, points that we discussed at the time, but imo if someone is willing to pay Mills 8 figures you congratulate him and move on just like they've done with a dozen guys in the last few years. Depth in the back court was a real concern, but it's not like Mills has ever run the offense. He's a catch and shoot player just under 40% for his career. That's not what keeps you afloat and Pop can find those guys in his sleep anyway.

I'd have offered Mills 6-7, done what it takes to keep Simmons, and snagged a cheap vet point guard if Mills moved on (maybe even if he didn't).

I'm hoping that with the lineups settling in he'll start raining threes like a madman and get back to last year's defense to earn that contract.
Ag Natural
AG
That's sounds great but it wasn't happening. Pop has only had 3 different starting PGs prior to this season. Parker was hurt and Murray wasn't ready. Mills is an expensive insurance policy.

Also, Simmons wasn't staying. He said it himself he wanted to go somewhere and start. On the Spurs he was Kawhis backup and averaged 15 minutes a game for two years. I think we could have matched what he got from Orlando but he wasn't taking that.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.