*****2017-2018 San Antonio Spurs*****

306,928 Views | 3490 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by OlRock
Sports-Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://twitter.com/JabariJYoung/status/1009279467192188928?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Damn the photo didn't show. Jabari Young said,
"Told Kawhi and Popovich did meet today, described as a "good" conversation. Expecting more dialogue in the future"
West Texan
AG
Sports-Ag said:

https://twitter.com/JabariJYoung/status/1009279467192188928?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

"Told Kawhi and Popovich did meet today, described as a "good" conversation. Expecting more dialogue in the future"

Meanwhile, Woj and ESPN are reporting that Kawhi has been intentionally avoiding Pop and wants the trade. Really bizarre situation.
Guitarsoup
AG
I'm with a staff member of the Nuggets and one of the Pistons. Both think Kawhi stays in SA.
West Texan
AG
Sports-Ag
AG
West Texan said:

Sports-Ag said:

Meanwhile, Woj and ESPN are reporting that Kawhi has been intentionally avoiding Pop and wants the trade. Really bizarre situation.

Woj has been behind. Said Pop is heading to Cali to meet with Kawhi when the report came out that the 2 already met. Espn of course rushing and speculating before accurate news.
FTAG 2000
AG
This whole thing is bizarre and un-Spurs like.

Just ready for it to end.
FTAG 2000
AG
Best case...

Pop: 'would you quit effing around. LeBron is coming. F the Lakers and get your ass back to SA'

FTAG 2000
AG
Sports-Ag said:

West Texan said:

Sports-Ag said:

Woj has been behind. Said Pop is heading to Cali to meet with Kawhi when the report came out that the 2 already met. Espn of course rushing and speculating before accurate news.

Have to filter all this. Woj has access to spurs front office. Jabari is a mouthpiece for Kawhi and more specifically Uncle Dennis the Menace. The latter is trying to spin this as team Kawhi being the sane party.

Unfortunately I think the Woj account is closer to the truth.
flashplayer
AG
Ag Natural said:

I wonder what Jonathan Simmons thinks about all this. He left for Orlando because he thought he'd be Kawhi's backup forever here. Turns out, he would have been a starter on a playoff team.

Hell, even had Kawhi stayed healthy, he probably would've replaced Danny Green in the starting lineup. Definitely a case of being too reactionary.
DTP02
AG
I have heard that it was one of the best conversations that Pop and Kawhi have ever had. Kawhi was estimated to have said as many as 10 to 12 words.
Pumpkinhead
AG
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23846966/gregg-popovich-meets-kawhi-leonard-california

Quote:

Leonard had told confidants that he did not want to sit down with Popovich and has been purposely difficult for the Spurs to reach recently. Among the issues, Leonard is angry over what he believes was the Spurs' mishandling of his quad injury, and he remains irate with public comments from teammate Tony Parker and Popovich that he felt were not supportive of him, league sources said.

Quote:

The Spurs' official priority has been to try to talk with Leonard to work through the issues, league sources said. That has been communicated to those teams seeking trade talks, although the Spurs have encouraged some rival team executives calling about Leonard to present an offer if they so choose, league sources said.

Quote:

So far, the Spurs have been largely reluctant to give teams guidance on the players, or packages, that would interest them in trades, sources said.

DTP02
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23846966/gregg-popovich-meets-kawhi-leonard-california

Quote:

Leonard had told confidants that he did not want to sit down with Popovich and has been purposely difficult for the Spurs to reach recently. Among the issues, Leonard is angry over what he believes was the Spurs' mishandling of his quad injury, and he remains irate with public comments from teammate Tony Parker and Popovich that he felt were not supportive of him, league sources said.

Quote:

The Spurs' official priority has been to try to talk with Leonard to work through the issues, league sources said. That has been communicated to those teams seeking trade talks, although the Spurs have encouraged some rival team executives calling about Leonard to present an offer if they so choose, league sources said.

Quote:

So far, the Spurs have been largely reluctant to give teams guidance on the players, or packages, that would interest them in trades, sources said.

These two have been a step behind in covering this situation, so I'm not sure how much stock to put into what their sources have to say.
West Texan
AG
Not Spurs related, but still interesting.

LouisHerbertWong
AG
AG 2000' said:

This whole thing is bizarre and un-Spurs like.

Just ready for it to end.
Nailed it. At this point, I'm not sure I want him to stay. Of course, that's based on everything I've read, so who knows how accurate it is... Just feels like he quit on the team and is listening to morons in his corner. The Spurs/Pop made Kawhi. If he gets his panties in a wad over the organization being frustrated this past season, adios.
Guitarsoup
AG
What a crybaby
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
I do question/wonder how much of this is just posturing from his camp (possibly even just very vocal parts of his camp), vs a sincere desire to leave. First there were reports from Woj and others saying his relationship with Pop was great, he was at his wife's funeral, etc....now he didnt even want to meet with Pop? and he was pissed at Pop for comments he made? Just far too much conflicting info for anything, or anyone, to be truly reliable.
flashplayer
AG
TP and Manu were visibly and vocally frustrated over Kawhis handling of the injury, and Pop was always throwing "his group" under the bus.

I don't think it far fetched that Leonard became pissed about that, but then again he deserved every bit of that for quitting on the franchise.

He is being a baby and if he had any interest in reconciling with the Spurs he'd have crushed the rumors long ago and actually said something.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Are the Spurs actually willing to offer him the max extension this summer, or do they want to wait now due to his health issues? If they are not willing to offer him the extension, then how much of this is Kawhi and his camp trying to pressure the Spurs, versus being upset about what things were said, versus wanting to live in L.A. etc?

If the Spurs don't offer him the extension this summer, then my guess is Kawhi will be gone, though things might get dragged out for quite some time. Eventually though, at the latest by next Feb, the Spurs will have to move him before losing him for nothing.

Will only buy into Kawhi actually sticking with the Spurs long term if that max extension happens this summer.
s13fenton
So in Kawhi's mind he has every right to be pissed at Tony and Pop for saying "unsupportive" things about him, but they don't have the right to be pissed at him for only playing 9 games all season despite a minor injury as well as not even being present for any of the games he missed??

I have a feeling he's going to be in for a rude awakening if he goes any where other than Boston, no other franchise comes close to the professionalism of the Spurs.
aggie_fan13
AG
Sad azul is
superunknown
AG

Gotta say, if the relationship between PATFO and Kawhi is irreparable, Harris or Jordan plus picks 12 and 13 is a pretty good haul in my opinion.
flashplayer
AG
Throw Beverly or Lou Williams in and I'd take it.
FTAG 2000
AG
Send a case of wine to Ainge and let's get that Boston deal done. Don't want Clipper trash.
jsc8116
AG
t. harris, l. williams and the 12 or 13 pick for leonard
West Texan
AG
jsc8116 said:

t. harris, l. williams and the 12 or 13 pick for leonard

If we're gonna take this crap deal it better be the 12 AND 13 picks.
Pumpkinhead
AG
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2782088-report-kawhi-leonard-asked-gregg-popovich-for-trade-spurs-wasting-time

Quote:

Kawhi Leonard told head coach Gregg Popovich that wants to leave the San Antonio Spurs, according to ESPN's Stephen A. Smith.

"The Spurs are wasting their time here," Smith said Wednesday on First Take. "... From what my sources tell me, Kawhi Leonard met with Gregg Popovich face-to-face, looked him dead in his face and said: 'I don't want to be here. I don't want to be in San Antonio any longer.'"
"... He wants to be in L.A," Smith added.

Ag Natural
AG
I still wouldn't trade him without getting a legit all star back. The Clips don't have anyone. So unless a couple of guys the Spurs really love slip to 12 then there's no way I'd do anything. I'd prefer to sit tight and make Kawhi play. If he sits then he damages his stock. If he plays well then look for a kings ransom at the deadline. If nothing happens and he walks then so be it. There's this big fear of "letting guys leave for nothing". I don't have this fear. Worst case scenario is he leaves you free up cap space. If rather do that then make the call on a bad trade.
flashplayer
AG
I'm with you on that, they need to force him to play
LawHall88
AG
Harris isn't Kawhi, but we could do worse. Scored 18 a game, shot over 40% from 3 last season. I don't think he's ever played on a real good team. Kind of like Rudy Gay - best player on weaker teams. Not a guy to build the team around, but could be a piece on a competitive team.

I'd rather have Jaylen Brown.

The problem is the Spurs aren't getting a Top-5 player back for Kawhi. They have to choose between taking the "best" deal they can get versus holding him for one year and then losing him for nothing. Just letting him walk may give the Spurs some free agent money to play with, but will any high end players want to play here with Pop so close to retirement?

flashplayer
AG
I'm not 100% convinced Pop is that close to retirement. I doubt even he knows or has made up his mind.
LawHall88
AG
flashplayer said:

I'm not 100% convinced Pop is that close to retirement. I doubt even he knows or has made up his mind.
Maybe. He's also about two years away from being the oldest head coach in NBA history.
claym711
AG
If Kawhi just want to play at home, fine. If it's because of the injury and what not, he's a little baby *****
Guitarsoup
AG
claym711 said:

If Kawhi just want to play at home, fine. If it's because of the injury and what not, he's a little baby *****

Tony Parker hurt his little feelings by saying a ruptured quad is 100x worse than tendonitis.

Poor Kawhi needs a trade
TyHolden
AG
How many Euros can we stash and dash with the 12th and 13th pics? I'm betting 3 or 4.
West Texan
AG
1. Trade Kawhi
2. Draft Luka Doncic
3. ???
4. Profit

That's his mom

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.