*****2017-2018 San Antonio Spurs*****

292,275 Views | 3490 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by OlRock
Ulrich
How long do you want to ignore this user?
http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/la-sp-lakers-deng-plaschke-20180210-story.html
MGS
So.....

Is there ever going to be a 2018 offseason thread?
Guitarsoup
AG
Ulrich said:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/la-sp-lakers-deng-plaschke-20180210-story.html
Great article.

Want a team that takes care of its players? Read that, Kawhi.

Quote:

When asked whether they had discussions with anyone about trading Deng, Magic Johnson laughed and said, "We wish, huh? No, that didn't happen. Thanks, though. You want to make a move for us?' "

Yeah, definitely the people you want to be associated with, Kawhi.

Side note, I kind of hope the Lakers stretch Deng, Pop and Kawhi repair things, and we sign Deng for the Vet Min anyway.
Mike Elko
AG
Magic Johnson's been a complete failure at everything since his playing days (except, of course, becoming HIV-free).
Ag Natural
AG
AustinAg2012 said:

Magic Johnson's been a complete failure at everything since his playing days (except, of course, becoming HIV-free).
AND his multiple business interests which has allowed him to amass a fortune. He's done alright. But I agree that his basketball efforts haven't been great.
flashplayer
AG
MGS said:

So.....

Is there ever going to be a 2018 offseason thread?

Once we have closure on Kawhi and the lost season, then we can move on.

In other words, check back in August.
DTP02
AG
Great players rarely make good personnel people. There's just not that much overlap in skill set. Jerry West is the exception.
flashplayer
AG
Meh. Lonnie Walkers likability wearing off quickly. From KSAT:

Quote:

While many took to social media on Wednesday posting about 4th of July celebrations, new Spurs rookie Lonnie Walker IV instead posted what some are calling a controversial tweet.

The tweet said, "Will never celebrate 4th of July. Know your history!! and stay woke."

Someone has no idea what happened that day and how it changed the course of history. It wasn't the spiking of the football that we had arrived at utopia. It was the beginning of a long journey that has seen us improve with time and still become the most desirable place to live on Earth. Go be in fake misery with Pop.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Ag Natural said:

AustinAg2012 said:

AND his multiple business interests which has allowed him to amass a fortune. He's done alright. But I agree that his basketball efforts haven't been great.
Has been a 'complete failure'? Or, has just done 'all right'?

Magic is listed as having a personal net worth of over $500 million dollars.

https://moneyinc.com/magic-johnson-accumulated-net-worth-500m/

And has stakes in a range of businesses.

And yet he is described as a 'complete failure' or has 'done alright' by TexAgs? I'll assume posters who have such a perspective of Magic Johnson are typing these posts on TexAgs via Satellite WiFi from their 150 meter yacht currently docked in the bay of their privately owned vacation island.

Maybe the guy isn't going to be very good at making NBA personnel decisions...but generally speaking, Magic is an EXTREMELY successful individual.
Chipotlemonger
AG
What the hell?! That is terrible.
Pumpkinhead
AG
flashplayer said:

Meh. Lonnie Walkers likability wearing off quickly. From KSAT:

Quote:

While many took to social media on Wednesday posting about 4th of July celebrations, new Spurs rookie Lonnie Walker IV instead posted what some are calling a controversial tweet.

The tweet said, "Will never celebrate 4th of July. Know your history!! and stay woke."

Someone has no idea what happened that day and how it changed the course of history. It wasn't the spiking of the football that we had arrived at utopia. It was the beginning of a long journey that has seen us improve with time and still become the most desirable place to live on Earth. Go be in fake misery with Pop.
I'm with this guy on Lonnie Walker's tweet:

Enzo The Baker
AG
He's 19. Who cares.
flashplayer
AG
Time for him to grow up. SA is the last city I'd play in and make a public comment like that.
Mike Elko
AG
It was a joke... Yeesh.

Carry on.
Ag Natural
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

Ag Natural said:

AustinAg2012 said:

Has been a 'complete failure'? Or, has just done 'all right'?

Magic is listed as having a personal net worth of over $500 million dollars.

https://moneyinc.com/magic-johnson-accumulated-net-worth-500m/

And has stakes in a range of businesses.

And yet he is described as a 'complete failure' or has 'done alright' by TexAgs? I'll assume posters who have such a perspective of Magic Johnson are typing these posts on TexAgs via Satellite WiFi from their 150 meter yacht currently docked in the bay of their privately owned vacation island.

Maybe the guy isn't going to be very good at making NBA personnel decisions...but generally speaking, Magic is an EXTREMELY successful individual.
Note the sarcasm. He been MORE successful off the court than he was on it. He's a modern day mogul.

However, we have seen many times that being a successful business man does not make you a great talent evaluator for an NBA franchise. That's why Magic's only hope is to lure veteran talents who are indisputably great already. Well he got one and we'll see what else they manage to pull off. His other moves haven't been all that impressive.
Pumpkinhead
AG
AustinAg2012 said:

It was a joke... Yeesh.

Carry on.

My bad. Where's my coffee?
Pumpkinhead
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

He's 19. Who cares.

Worst case, POTUS tweets about it soon and it becomes a national event for a couple of days overshadowing Russia, North Korea, and whatever else is on the current news docket.

kid probably hasn't taken the NBA's 'When to use an anonymous burner twitter Account' training course yet, which I heard is now being taught by former Sixer's GM Bryan Colangelo.
evan_aggie
AG
Kawhi really handled this poorly, and put his trust in the wrong people. I'm not completely sour that he wants to leave SA. That strings without a doubt.

However, if his ultimate goal was to be traded to LA (or end up there), he should have remained quiet. Now that the entire league knows his intentions, including LA, you have:

1) All other teams realizing that they may only be getting Kawhi for a single year and not be able to sign him to a long term contract. This makes it harder for the Spurs to get something in return for him and he has effectively lowered his value for this next year.

2) The Lakers realize he wants to play with them, and they may be able to take their foot off the gas now that they've signed Lebron. There isn't a need to necessarily offer Leonard top dollar since he has shown his cards.

Ag12thman
Ag12thman
AG
Kawhi's camp hid him from the Spurs
West Texan
AG
The longer this draws out and the more stuff that comes out, the more that it confirms the Spurs standpoint and the feelings of Spurs fans. Kawhi and his group look more and more like amateur hour.
Enzo The Baker
AG
White is so good getting off a good shot. He's even been doing well playing without the ball getting open looks off of screens. I know the defense in the NBA will be completely different, but man this kid could be good.
Ulrich
Ag12thman said:

That's gotta be the incident that made Pop start openly saying that he doesn't know how Kawhi is progressing or when he'll be able to play. Which is also about the time Tony and Manu made their comments.

What a clown show.
Ag Natural
AG
Ulrich said:

Ag12thman said:

That's gotta be the incident that made Pop start openly saying that he doesn't know how Kawhi is progressing or when he'll be able to play. Which is also about the time Tony and Manu made their comments.

What a clown show.

That's what I was thinking. Pop started answering every question with "talk to Kawhi's people".
West Texan
AG
Metu has a really nice face up game and a super smooth jumper. I think he's really got a lot of potential as a pick and pop big. Defensively he's got a loooong way to go. He's slow on rotations and jumps at everything. He's quick enough to be able to switch and rotate, just needs the mental side of it to develop but he's not long enough to really be a shot blocker. Stay on the floor and stay straight up.

Lonnie Walker is looking much more comfortable this game. Shot selections is miles better. Hasn't really forced anything yet and has knocked down a couple threes. Jumper needs a little work but it's not bad as is. Mostly his feet and base need work as he sometimes gets off balance.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Yea Lonnie's looking much better.
Enzo The Baker
AG
White with 21 first half pts. He keeps playing better and better.
West Texan
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

White with 21 first half pts. He keeps playing better and better.

He's been the best player on the court every game. I fully expect him to be the first guy off the bench very soon.
Guitarsoup
AG
If he can shoot and pass, he should start over Murray
Ag Natural
AG
Guitarsoup said:

If he can shoot and pass, he should start over Murray

I wonder if the Spurs see White as a PG long term.
Guitarsoup
AG
As far as I can tell, the Spurs PG plans for the future are to light a candle and pray.

?v=1505252853
Enzo The Baker
AG
Honestly, he can do a lot more than Murray, in virtually every aspect offensively. He's not a stiff on defense though, either. He just doesn't have the length Murray does.
Enzo The Baker
AG
If Murray would help with a Kawhi deal, I'd consider making that trade if we got a fair return. The Kawhi trade noise has really died down. The Spurs' position seems to weaken by the day.

Edit: Maybe package Murray with Kawhi to Phili so we can get Fultz in return.
Guitarsoup
AG
Don't think the Spurs are getting weaker. Either we see something right before training camp or after December 15 when the new free agents can be traded.

Kawhi coming back and playing like an MVP will do a lot to help his tradability.
Ag Natural
AG
The Spurs position hasn't weakened. If anything, they've proven they won't make a dumb trade. Nothing even close to reasonable has been offered.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.