*****2017-2018 San Antonio Spurs*****

292,274 Views | 3490 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by OlRock
aggie_fan13
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quite possibly the worst performance I've been to
Enzo The Baker
AG
Ulrich said:

Chipotlemonger said:

saltydog13 said:

I'm guessing this is about to be rebuild time in SA?

I think so

99mm committed. 28 of that is Mills and Gasol's untradable deals. Gay probably declines his option, Green probably takes his. There's currently no (real) point guard under contract next year.

There are still things that can be done, but it's going to take some magic.
And that also doesn't take into account the likely unreasonably high dollar 'thank you' contract Tony will receive. Seriously if he receives anything more than the veteran's minimum, I'm giving up on our front office.
Ulrich
Enzo The Baker said:

Ulrich said:

My Lakers friend thinks they're going to trade Kuzma and Randall for Leonard.
That's a godawful trade for the Spurs. Shouldn't even look at the deal if it doesn't have Ingram.

The spurs will get better offers than that. There are going to be lots of teams competing for Kawhi.

I agree, but apparently people are under the impression that Leonard has given a very short list of teams that he's willing to go to and has proven that he'll sit out until he gets to one of those teams.

I still think that even with his baggage, as long as there is more than one team on the hypothetical list the spurs would get more than a decent rookie and some guy.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Ulrich said:

Enzo The Baker said:

Ulrich said:

My Lakers friend thinks they're going to trade Kuzma and Randall for Leonard.
That's a godawful trade for the Spurs. Shouldn't even look at the deal if it doesn't have Ingram.

The spurs will get better offers than that. There are going to be lots of teams competing for Kawhi.

I agree, but apparently people are under the impression that Leonard has given a very short list of teams that he's willing to go to and has proven that he'll sit out until he gets to one of those teams.

I still think that even with his baggage, as long as there is more than one team on the hypothetical list the spurs would get more than a decent rookie and some guy.
Especially if both of those teams are LA.
Ulrich
You just know that every message board on the internet is replete with "the dollars work" posts right now.
flashplayer
AG
If he's being that big of a doushe I'd sit his ass on the bench and waste another year of his sorry ass career.
Ag Natural
AG
There are zero verified sources claiming Leonard wants a trade. All this BS talk is rumor generated by hopeful fans.
Ulrich
flashplayer said:

If he's being that big of a doushe I'd sit his ass on the bench and waste another year of his sorry ass career.

I have to emphasize that it's all rumors at this punt, i don't have a credible reason to believe that an ultimatum has been issued. But... at some point the injury charade stops being defensible. I wonder if there are clauses governing refusal to play that would allow them to renounce his salary similar to retirement.

If the spurs can't get value, I say move Aldridge for pieces/picks, sit Leonard and work on getting out of the deal, accept the resulting good draft pick next year, then Gasol's contract will be an expiring deal that might be worth something midseason. Tear off the bandaid.
Ag Natural
AG
Most of yall probably thought Isaiah Thomas was a good GM. The suggestions here are ludicrous.
Ulrich
Ag Natural said:

Most of yall probably thought Isaiah Thomas was a good GM. The suggestions here are ludicrous.

So is the situation. We're bs-ing in the middle of the night after a bad loss. Don't take it so seriously.
Pendragon12
AG
My opinion of Leonard will be in the toilet if that's what's going on behind the scenes.
Guitarsoup
AG
A friend from San Antonio said that Leonard saw what happened to IT3 where he played hurt, hurt it worse and it cost him $100mm or more and so KL wants to make sure he gets paid and is completely healthy.

https://www.boston.com/sports/boston-celtics/2018/04/18/jalen-rose-isaiah-thomas-cost-himself-100-million
dave99ag
AG
The question for the Spurs will be is he healthy before giving him that contract? Big risk if he comes up lame at the start of next season.
Guitarsoup
AG
Also does he have any heart.
flashplayer
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Few players actually do these days. It's only about money now.
HotardAg07
AG
It is unfair to speculate but I will anyways I bet Kawhi has a legit serious anxiety issue that is making this situation much worse.
Ag Natural
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Well IT3 must have heart and now regrets it. $100 million is a lot of money.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Ag Natural said:

Guitarsoup said:

Well IT3 must have heart and now regrets it. $100 million is a lot of money.

Yep. That 'has a heart' stuff is great for fans with nothing at stake to preach, but Thomas played hurt and 'with a heart' and what did that get him? Boston cut bait and traded him Quick when they saw an opportunity. Pro sports is a ruthless business.
HotardAg07
AG
Yea, if he just said --
1. You guys have been saying i'm good to go on my leg for 5 years and it never gets better, i want to fix it for good
2. With a big contract extention coming up, I don't want to risk further complications or putting out sub-par talent

I think most people would be cool with it.

I think what is most messed up is that he hasn't said anything at all. Not anything like:
1. "Wish I could be out there with my team" or
2. "Go Spurs Go"
3. "It's killing me to be out, but I'm going to come back stronger than ever!"

He's basically just iced out the world and allowed us to fill in the blanks with the worst **** and not refuted anything. He really should fire his agent.

But that's why I think he has an anxiety issue.
Ulrich
Piling on a little here, but the whole basis of Leonard's ability to make $30mm a year playing a game is fans who are passionate about the team and the players. I usually fall on the side of players staying quiet and going about their business, but some level of pandering becomes necessary if you do something that doesn't make sense and don't want the fans' passion to turn.

Really bothers me that he and his camp aren't communicating with the team or the fans and that he is slapping his former teammates in the face by chilling in New York while they get swept out of the playoffs. It's partly why I also wonder if the problem is psychological rather than physical or just being a jackass.
Ag Natural
AG
Ulrich said:

Piling on a little here, but the whole basis of Leonard's ability to make $30mm a year playing a game is fans who are passionate about the team and the players. I usually fall on the side of players staying quiet and going about their business, but some level of pandering becomes necessary if you do something that doesn't make sense and don't want the fans' passion to turn.

Really bothers me that he and his camp aren't communicating with the team or the fans and that he is slapping his former teammates in the face by chilling in New York while they get swept out of the playoffs. It's partly why I also wonder if the problem is psychological rather than physical or just being a jackass.
Well there have been several reports disputing this claim. He is communicating with the organization and teammates (according to some reports). As for the fans, he's never been out there talking just like Timmy.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Just in case anyone is still following this series...Kawhi and Pop are out tomorrow
MookieBlaylock
AG
I mentioned from sources in the know that Leonard has a 250 million offer from Nike if he goes to LA

That will make up for the lost revenue from the max

Plus pays his uncle

I say the spurs sit him and don't pay him next year and sue his arse

Pop returning is less than 50 % as well
MookieBlaylock
AG
And Fook the lakers
aggie_fan13
AG
Be a real ***** move by him
Guitarsoup
AG
Not like he will suddenly have a marketable personality of he plays for the Lakers.
MookieBlaylock
AG
That is why he came back for a bit bc his uncle messed up the deal

Apparently it's still in the cards

A leonard LeBron team would be huge for Nike
Ag Natural
AG
I have a hard time believing Nike is that stupid. Kawhi has never had any interest in being a media darling. Why would he all of a sudden be the toast of LA?
phatpat21
Reeeeaaaaalllly don't want to be swept two years in a row by the warriors...so here's to somehow playing their a**es off and pulling off a W for the home crowd and for Pop
FTAG 2000
AG
MookieBlaylock said:

I mentioned from sources in the know that Leonard has a 250 million offer from Nike if he goes to LA

That will make up for the lost revenue from the max

Plus pays his uncle

I say the spurs sit him and don't pay him next year and sue his arse

Pop returning is less than 50 % as well

I guess Nike hasn't been watching this series. All of the talking heads, even those paid to promote Nike, the NBA, etc., have done nothing but trash Kawhi for the last two weeks.

Unless Nike is planning on an 'Air Sellout' line of shoes, he's not going to give them anything marketable.

Still feels like a BS rumor though.

But I agree with other sentiments - if Kawhi's really being a *****, just sit him next year and see how much he likes burning another year of his prime. F him at that point.

Also, someone asked what the Spurs could do. If he refuses to play, and more to the point if they have multiple medical opinions he's healthy, the could actually sue him for his actions. It'd be ugly and unprecedented, but is an option if things really get to the scorched earth phase.
phatpat21
GSG
Enzo The Baker
AG
Great job to force a lot of turnovers so far. Mills is our momentum killer.
Enzo The Baker
AG
If the Spurs could rebound the ball they would be up 30 right now.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Why do announcers always call Durant a 7 footer? Dude's only 6'9".
2008and1
AG
Three team fouls in one possession.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.