*****2017-2018 San Antonio Spurs*****

306,900 Views | 3490 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by OlRock
jteagle
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Opening night roster

I am looking forward to this season. I still think the Spurs still have the best chance of knocking off the Warriors even with all the changes in the West. Once again I think it is the bench that will make the difference. I would love to see big improvement from Bryn, Davis and Murray. The changes that the Spurs made will allow them to have more flexibility with the lineups. I expect them to play small more than they ever have before.
LawHall88
AG

Ag Natural
AG
Its good to see Kawhi's big smile again.
aggieactor01
AG
LawHall88 said:

Interesting.
Guitarsoup
AG
Guitarsoup
AG

3rd year partially guaranteed.
Guitarsoup
AG
If Green, Gay and Joffery all opt out next year, Spurs have $76mm in contracts to:

Center: Gasol
"power" forward: LMA
small forward: Kawhi
Wing: White/Manu
Point: Murray/Patty

Free agents:
Tony Parker
Kyle Anderson
Davis Bertrans
Bryn Forbes
Rudy Gay
Danny Green
JofferyLauvergne

Brandon Paul is unguaranteed Min for next year.
Cave Johnson, CEO
AG
I have no idea how to feel about the extension so I'll wait for someone with a butter understanding to let me know.
LouisHerbertWong
AG
Cave Johnson, CEO said:

I have no idea how to feel about the extension so I'll wait for someone with a butter understanding to let me know.
You shouldn't feel good about the extension. None of us should.

And regarding the typo, butter you than me...
Guitarsoup
AG
It basically means 0% shot at having max cap space next summer. So that means without a major deal, we are trying to keep up with GSW/CLE/HOU/OKC with a core of Kawhi/Murray/Gasol/LMA/Green/Patty

It is possible we will clear enough space to sign a mid-level guy in the 10-15mm range. So someone like Joe Ingles (signed 4y52mm this summer)
aggieactor01
AG
Guitarsoup said:

It basically means 0% shot at having max cap space next summer. So that means without a major deal, we are trying to keep up with GSW/CLE/HOU/OKC with a core of Kawhi/Murray/Gasol/LMA/Green/Patty

It is possible we will clear enough space to sign a mid-level guy in the 10-15mm range. So someone like Joe Ingles (signed 4y52mm this summer)
Gross.
Cave Johnson, CEO
AG
Bummer, so we basically killed two off-seasons in one? So much for no moves this summer in order to make a big one next year.
Guitarsoup
AG
We are flexible enough that if a big star was actually interested in playing in SA, we could easily create enough space to sign any player.

So it didn't completely shut the door. We also don't know what is happening with Tony, but as I posted last week, he is way ahead of schedule and may play next month.
superunknown
AG
Still a tradeable contract, i guess. The length is concerning. Very meh on the deal.

Kinda feeling we're headed down a dark path.
Guitarsoup
AG
3rd year has a partial guarantee.

Paul Millsap (all 6'7 of him) just signed a 3y90mm deal and he isn't as good as LMA.
Blake Griffin just got 5y175mm and there isn't much of a guarantee he will play more than 60 games a year.
dave99ag
AG
Makes you wonder what kind of conversation Pop and LA had to warrant an extemsion
superunknown
AG
Guitarsoup said:

3rd year has a partial guarantee.

Paul Millsap (all 6'7 of him) just signed a 3y90mm deal and he isn't as good as LMA.
Blake Griffin just got 5y175mm and there isn't much of a guarantee he will play more than 60 games a year.

Truth. I mean....for the money, objectively, i dont think it's a bad deal. But i also see a guy who may be soft, is kind of a crybaby and might think he's much better than he is.

Yet i don't see a way we could do a lot better right now in the current NBA market.

We've been spoiled as fans. I know that much. I just dont ever want to feel nostalgic for the DRob surrounded by guys like Antoine Carr days where I'm just hoping to look good in the 2nd round.
Guitarsoup
AG
dave99ag said:

Makes you wonder what kind of conversation Pop and LA had to warrant an extemsion
Don't know if you saw they had a big sit down a while back. Must have been pretty good.

But either way, ~22mm/year for a 20/9-type power forward is pretty easily traded. That's just 20% of the cap.

Otto Porter just got a 4y/105mm contract after averaging 13/6/1.5/1.5/0.5
Jrue Holiday got 5y/126mm and he has played 70+ games exactly once since Von Miller played for A&M
CJ Collum, Andre Drummond, Bradley Beal, Hasaan Whiteside, Dwight Howard, Harrison Barnes, Chandler Parsons, JJ Reddick, Kevin Love and Nic Batum all make more than LMA.

I don't really like it, but if he walks, we aren't close to a 55+ win team. And his contract isn't that bad when you compare it to what the league marketplace is doing.

Ryan Anderson has 3y62mm left on a contract signed before the salary cap blew up. 3y72mm with 3rd year only partially guaranteed after the cap exploded is not terrible.
Enzo The Baker
AG
I like this extension. It's the conservative thing to do. As mentioned it keeps the Spurs competitive. I don't think the Spurs had any chance at any max guys next summer anyways. LeBron was a pipe dream. Cousins wouldn't fit. George is going to LAL, LAC or staying in OKC. Paul will likely re-sign in Houston.

I do worry about being able to keep our free agents next summer though. That's going to be tough. But I look at Pau's contract more than LA's as a regrettable contract in the future.
Guitarsoup
AG
Cousins has so much baggage if he doesn't get a Max extension from New Orleans I'm not sure he'll get the max.

Not many teams have cap space next year. Philadelphia Chicago and the Lakers and I don't know if anyone else does
FTAG 2000
AG
Poor Kawhi. What is that? 175 million to three guys in Gasoline, Mills, and Aldridge that can't even man up against Golden State.

Pop needs to lock himself in his wine cellar for the rest of time and let someone younger and hungry work with Kawhi. Right now I don't blame him for leaving when he's a free agent if they are going to blow this kind of cash on betas.
Ulrich
I'm ok with the Aldridge contract. That's a decent deal with the new cap, and if Aldridge can return to pre-heart condition production and aggression it's a steal.

Still not much of a fan of the Gasol/Mills deals though. You can overpay one backup, but not two. Hopefully all these moves mean that Murray is making huge strides. I like TP, but last playoffs felt like his last good run BEFORE the injury. He's not the pg of the future anymore so I hope they aren't making roster decisions based on his health.
Ag Natural
AG
All these years and Spurs fans still get surprised and demoralized by textbook Spurs moves.

I had a feeling this would happen the minute Pop came out publicly and said LMA had been everything they had hoped for DEFENSIVELY. Maybe there is a 1% chance all of you know more about defense and toughness than Pop. I suspect most will be surprised by the Spurs play this season.
bmart97
AG
Ag Natural said:

All these years and Spurs fans still get surprised and demoralized by textbook Spurs moves.

I had a feeling this would happen the minute Pop came out publicly and said LMA had been everything they had hoped for DEFENSIVELY. Maybe there is a 1% chance all of you know more about defense and toughness than Pop. I suspect most will be surprised by the Spurs play this season.

I agree. The Spurs are a model of consistency and make slow, deliberate moves. I also feel we need a Robin to go with Batman/Kawhi. I think there will be more flexibility next off season than people realize and someone other than the names listed could be available because of a bad situation (think Kylie or Paul George-like). We've had a lot of surprises over the years in the NBA, one of these days the Spurs will take advantage of an opportunity if it presents itself.
Cappo
Ag Natural
AG
After thinking more about this, I wonder if LMA has been a total bad ass in camp and the Spurs feel they better lock him up now.
Cappo
AG
Ag Natural said:

After thinking more about this, I wonder if LMA has been a total bad ass in camp and the Spurs feel they better lock him up now.
I hope you're right. I can dig it
FTAG 2000
AG
Let's hope so LA. 100 million to gaso and Oatty is still disgusting.
ZEEB
AG
bad contracts, older players, recent injuries, Pop's political non-sense...

I. DON'T. CARE.

I love my Spurs no matter what and can't wait to enjoy another season of winning basketball!
West Texan
AG
Game day!!!!
champagnepapi
Go Spurs Go
Cappo
AG
Let's do this
Guitarsoup
AG
Positioning of Gasol & LMA

Read:

https://cleaningtheglass.com/2017-18-questions-evolution-of-the-big-man/
West Texan
AG
Rudy Gay looked pretty explosive on that fast break jam. Hopefully he's close to what he used to be.

Offense looks good through 1. Defense definitely missed Kawhi, but wasn't completely awful.
duck79
AG
I understand what they are doing with this close out rule but it seems they are only enforcing it on 3s. On the turnarounds by LA the exact same thing was happening as the Minnesota 3s and they never called it. I just hope they are consistent with the rule.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.