*****2017-2018 San Antonio Spurs*****

290,278 Views | 3490 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by OlRock
Obi Wan Ginobili
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Training Camp kicked off with Media Day yesterday, so I guess it's about that time for Year 2 AD (After Duncan)

2017-2018 Season Schedule (Times listed are Central)

2017 Training Camp Roster

Goodbye to a few old faces....

Hello to some new blood......

The roster won't look dramatically different this year, but there is still some guesswork on who will make the final roster.

The locks seem to be:

Kawhi Leonard
LaMarcus Aldridge
Pau Gasol
Tony Parker
Manu Ginobili
Patty Mills
Kyle Anderson
Rudy Gay
Danny Green
Dejounte Murray
David Bertans

The next most likely to make the squad: (In no particular order)

Derrick White
Brandon Paul
Joffrey Lauvergne
Bryn Forbes

Amida Brimah, Matt Costello, Darrun Hilliard, and London Perrantes will have to really show something special.

Brimah and Costello have a real shot to make the team if they work their asses off. The squad is impossibly thin at the 4/5 positions
jteagle
AG
I'm going to miss David Lee and Jonathon Simmons but it is what it is. Hoping that some of these young players come into their own this year and make an impact.
West Texan
AG
My favorite annual thread on texags.
2008and1
AG
Kawhi going for that MVP this year. Top 2 will be him and Lebron.
Ag Natural
AG
The Spurs are so far off the radar right now, even more than usual.

Not many are willing to acknowledge that this was probably the 2nd best team in the league last year and had a nice formula for beating the invincible Warriors...until Kawhi went down.

Now they add Rudy Gay who everyone has pretty much counted out. He's cleared and healthy now and could end up being a significant upgrade. Really if any of the young gaurds step up at all this team will be pretty awesome. It's true that everyone else in the league upgraded (except for Utah and the Clips). So it will be a very interesting regular season. I can't wait.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Can't wait for this season. I'm looking forward to see if Bertans can be a regular rotation piece. He's coming off some pretty good performances at the Euros.
beerad12man
AG
So where's the depth inside? Gasol cant play a ton of minutes. How good are the other guys?
Enzo The Baker
AG
I think the Spurs constructed this roster with the intention of playing more small ball to keep up with the pace of today's game. Even Gasol dropped 10 pounds over the summer to be more mobile. My guess is that we won't see the traditional 4/5 on the court unless the Spurs play someone like the grizzlies or pelicans.
Ag Natural
AG
Agreed.

Leonard, Anderson, Bertans and Gay could all play the four in today's game.

Aldridge, Gasol and Lauvergne can play either 4 or 5.

With all the length across the board this team should be great defensively once again.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Welp, this doesn't sound good.

Quote:

Kawhi Leonard is expected to miss the Spurs preseason because of right quadriceps tendinopathy, the team announced Saturday.

A timeline for his return to the court will be determined at a later date," the Spurs said in a press release.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Black and Silver Scrimmage

Ulrich
That quad has been a recurring issue.
aggie_fan13
AG
very curious how this season will pan out , could go both ways
Obi Wan Ginobili
azulAg said:

Insightful
Ulrich
Obi Wan Ginobili said:

azulAg said:

Insightful

Most games will be won by the team that scores more points.
UnderoosAg
AG
Are the preseason games not televised or am I ruhtarded?
2008and1
AG
UnderoosAg said:

Are the preseason games not televised or am I ruhtarded?

No, they are not televised.
MookieBlaylock
AG
Excited to see what the spurs 2nd Gay can provide

Aldridge best realize this is it for him

Gonna be a great year as the spurs will have the old cruise control set at 35

Ganondorf
AG
Saw an ESPN article about Aldridge finally talking to Pop about being unhappy and the latter saying he'd work on it and things should be better this year.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20901861/nba-lamarcus-aldridge-adjustment-spurs-enters-year-3
Guitarsoup
AG
New thread?

GO SPURS GO

Hope this season packs in some memorable highlights.

ToHntortoFsh
I really hope that face to face with Pop and LMA increases his confidence and desire to stay with the team. Hopefully he's out of the rut he was in and is ready to dominate again. If him, kawhi, gay, parker with a lil bit a manu sprinkled in for flare are playing at their best I think they're a tough team to beat no matter who the match up is.

*edit* also, hopefully Green has been shooting thousands upon thousands of 3's this year. That will make this spurs fan very happy!
aggie_fan13
AG
I look forward to next seasons banter
some men you just cant reach ...
jteagle
AG
From last night's win over the Kings.

[url=https://twitter.com/tom_orsborn/status/916513408358416385][/url]

Ag Natural
AG
With Danny and Patty so good this year it's going to be hard for either to win MVP. They'll split the votes.
dave99ag
AG
Go Spurs Go!

Less than 10-days. I always think of the NBA starting at the end of October, not the middle.
Enzo The Baker
AG
It seems that Joffrey Lauvergne is the surprise of the preseason out of everyone we picked up.

And it looks like Forbes is picking up right where he left off in the summer league. It would be huge if he could crack the rotation and shoot lights out.

I'm excited for this season to start. This team is pretty deep. My guess is that we won't have a set rotation until the playoffs.
jteagle
AG
Quote:

Two-way contracts were added to the NBA's Collective Bargaining Agreement and will go into effect for the 2017-18 season. Each team will now be able to have the standard 15 players on their roster, as well as up to two additional players on two-way contracts. Two-way players will spend the bulk of the season in the NBA G League,

I'm sure some of yall already knew this because I don't keep up with these kinds of things as much but it will give a little more flexibility with roster spots. Hilliard and Costello both signed 2 way contracts so I am sure they will start with Austin but see some time with SA throughout the season.
Ag Natural
AG
dave99ag said:

Go Spurs Go!

Less than 10-days. I always think of the NBA starting at the end of October, not the middle.

Yep. The season is starting early this year in an effort to reduce back to backs.
Guitarsoup
AG
My dad played Top Golf with Tony today. Recovery is way ahead of schedule and he may see the court in November.
jteagle
AG
Quote:

SAN ANTONIO The Spurs roster stands at the NBA maximum 17 after the team waived center Amida Brimah and guard London Perrantes on Thursday.
The Spurs signed Brimah Sept. 25. He averaged 3.0 points and 3.0 rebounds in 5.7 minutes over three preseason games.
Perrantes was signed Aug. 23. He averaged 1.0 points in 4.8 minutes over three preseason games.
There can be up to 15 regular NBA contract players on the roster (minimum 12) and up to a maximum of two two-way players.
Players who sign two-way deals will spend the bulk of the season in the NBA G League and not more than 45 days with their NBA team. The Spurs' two-way players are rookie forward/center Matt Costello and third-year guard Darrun Hilliard.

superunknown
AG
SSE has sold the Stars and they're moving to Vegas.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Kawhi is gonna have a rough start to his MVP campaign. He's been listed out of the season opener.

Preseason game against the rockets on TNT tonight.
RINO Safari
AG
Aldridge is looking better. Still refuses to bully his way to the rim when guarded by Harden though. So weird.
Guitarsoup
AG
Opening night roster

Cave Johnson, CEO
AG
Dejounte Murray's shoulder to arm size ratio seems funky. Like someone photoshopped his shoulders to be larger.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.