*****2017-2018 San Antonio Spurs*****

306,896 Views | 3490 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by OlRock
Pumpkinhead
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Interesting Spurs stat.

Quote:

Sunday night's loss to the Boston Celtics put the Spurs in a position they do not often find themselves- they have lost 3-in-a-row. This is San Antonio. We take our wins and losses very seriously. When the team loses three games in a row, people start taking mental health days.

But doesn't mean we should expect this trend to persist. In fact, since Gregg Popovich's first complete season as head coach, the team has lost 3 consecutive games only 19 times in Pop's 19 previous seasons. And four of those occurred in April, when Pop regularly rests key guys for the playoffs.

You may ask "How about 4 in a row?" since the Warriors are visiting San Antonio Thursday night. Well, there's reason for hope, because Pop has only led his team to four straight losses four times during his career. And he has never coached a team to a losing streak longer than that. No 5s, no 6s, no 7s...

dave99ag
AG
Sounds like Barkley is coming to CS for the game. Mentioned it during halftime.
Ag Natural
AG
I feel like I'm watching the JV (i.e. Spurs with no Kawhi). Has there ever been a player win MVP without playing a game?
LawHall88
AG
Spurs were up 31-12 in the first, and then were outscored 100-61 the rest of the way. Brutal.
OlRock
AG
Spurs FG% vs opponents FG% has been no bueno lately. This is not fun to watch.
Pumpkinhead
AG
LawHall88 said:

Spurs were up 31-12 in the first, and then were outscored 100-61 the rest of the way. Brutal.

Warriors seemed to often aggressively double team Aldridge whenever he got the ball and Spurs did not seem to have enough other consistent scoring threats to compensate.
LouisHerbertWong
AG
Classic Spurs 3rd quarter collapse. It's been a thing for 20+ years.
Ulrich
Pumpkinhead said:

LawHall88 said:

Warriors seemed to often aggressively double team Aldridge whenever he got the ball and Spurs did not seem to have enough other consistent scoring threats to compensate.

Right now when teams double Aldridge from the baseline he rarely makes them pay for it. He consistently dribbles toward the sideline instead of passing out or attacking. I think he needs to start catching the ball facing the basket so he can identify the double team faster and pass over the defense to cutters.

Golden State killed him with that in the playoffs last year, and sooner or later other teams are going to catch on.
Obi Wan Ginobili
Ag Natural said:

I feel like I'm watching the JV (i.e. Spurs with no Kawhi). Has there ever been a player win MVP without playing a game?
Peyton Manning should have won it the year they went 2-14 and got Luck.
LawHall88
AG
Bryn Forbes is your new Gary Neal.
jteagle
AG
Pretty awesome game tonight. Patty finally showed up in a big way. Rudy and Forbes both shot the ball well and in his 1000th game Manu was being Manu!

Cappo
AG
GINOOOBLI
Guitarsoup
AG
1000 games, but Manu has a lot more miles on his body than that with Euro league, Olympics and other international. With his style, the fact that he is still able to play in the NBA and be somewhat effective is amazing.
West Texan
AG
I like the purple uniforms better than the orange for Phoenix. Reminds me of the Barkley days in the 90s.
Ulrich
This is awful defense
West Texan
AG
Ulrich said:

This is awful defense

Really struggling to find the balance between guys who can score and guys who can defend with Kawhi not there.
Ulrich
I know they are looking pretty rough the last few games, but I think this team has insanely high potential. The emergence of Danny as a threat off the dribble changes things a LOT.
West Texan
AG
Ulrich said:

I know they are looking pretty rough the last few games, but I think this team has insanely high potential. The emergence of Danny as a threat off the dribble changes things a LOT.

That and Brandon Paul fitting in offensively as well as his defensive ability should help in the long run a lot. Now if we could teach Murray how to make a jumper, we'd really be cooking.
West Texan
AG
Tonight was win 1,156 for Pop, passing Phil Jackson for 6th all time.
jteagle
AG
West Texan said:

Ulrich said:

That and Brandon Paul fitting in offensively as well as his defensive ability should help in the long run a lot. Now if we could teach Murray how to make a jumper, we'd really be cooking.
I also think if Forbes continues to be a legitimate scorer coming off the bench that the Spurs bench could be even better than in years past.

It seems to me that the shortened preseason really had an effect on some players and they are just now getting into their rhythm. Patty seems to have found his shot in the last two games.
Pendragon12
AG
Once Kawhi comes back, and TP if he can play at a high level and help us close out games, this team could be very, very good.

I LOVE watching these young guys play and find their confidence.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Parker assigned to the Austin Spurs (to practice).
2008and1
AG
Enzo The Baker
AG
Based on what Pop said, it doesn't seem like Kawhi will be back anytime before December. Hopefully the team can keep their head above water until then.
2008and1
AG
I'm starting to get pretty concerned about the long term effects of the injury. It seems to be lingering for a long time.
Ag Natural
AG
Does anyone know what happened? I assumed he trained a little too hard this offseason and came in sore. This is starting to sound worse.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Ag Natural said:

Does anyone know what happened? I assumed he trained a little too hard this offseason and came in sore. This is starting to sound worse.

Maybe he'll be fresher for the latter part of the season.
jteagle
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Based on what Pop said, it doesn't seem like Kawhi will be back anytime before December. Hopefully the team can keep their head above water until then.
I'm not worried about the team keeping their head above water. The Spurs can play with most teams in the league even without Kawhi and Tony. They will struggle against the better teams especially on the road but they will be OK. If Kawhi comes back completely healthy and recovered then I think everything will be fine no matter how long it takes for him to get back. I want to see him on the court but I also don't want them to rush him back if it means he doesn't fully heal.
jteagle
AG
And last night the second half was one of those fun games to watch. 40 points in the 3rd qtr while holding the Clipper to 21.
Pendragon12
AG
Ag Natural said:

A poster on r/NBAspurs said the quad has been bothering Kawhi since the All Star break last year, and I do remember him limping and icing/heating his quad sometimes during games. If that's the case, then this has been a lingering issue and one they finally decided they have to bite the bullet and just rest him.

With the way the team is playing right now, I'm all for it. Kawhi is the one player that will put us over the top and we need him, but this team is pretty dang good without him. Not good enough to beat the elite of the NBA, but good enough to keep us in the top 6 of the West until he's healthy. They have to think long term with Kawhi, and as much as we wanted this year to be his MVP year, if this means he plays with us for another 20 years ala Tim rather than 10-15, then it's what we need to do.
Pendragon12
AG
Agreed. Rudy Gay is a force coming off our bench. As good as Simmons was, we needed someone like Rudy to be a true, elite go-to scorer on the second unit ever since Manu started transitioning to creator rather than play-maker.

Patty seems to be coming out of his slump. Anderson continues to somehow be effective despite playing like an old man. Pau continues to annoy me, yet his passing and setting up others is super valuable. And Verde continues to be ridiculous.
Cave Johnson, CEO
AG
This isn't spurs related but what's up with OKC? Their offense is terrible and they look just flat out bad. They lost to Sacramento last night after the Kings scored 10 points in the 1st. It's obviously a long season but they've got a lot of work to do.
Enzo The Baker
AG
They were way overrated before the season started. A team full of iso players with one of the worst benches in the league. It's going to be another 1st round exit for them.
CactusThomas
AG
As of just a few days ago their defense was second best in the NBA. But I agree they are an odd bunch on offense and I would be surprised if they made a significant run in the playoffs.
champagnepapi
When do we start the Race for Seis thread?!

Go Spurs Go

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.