*****2017-2018 San Antonio Spurs*****

297,920 Views | 3490 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by OlRock
Guitarsoup
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I feel like the Spurs were pretty widely predicted for 2005. They were coming off a 57 win season, the Lakers broke up with Shaq being traded.

The west was pretty much Spurs as the best and the TPups (Garnett, Spree, Wally and 58 year old Sam Cassell) and that was it. Mavs were a surprise team as Nellie quit midway through and Avery took over.

The East was pretty much just Pistons vs Indiana, then the Malice in the Palace happened and Indiana sucked, giving the Pistons a clear path to repeat through the East.
Ag Natural
AG
Guitarsoup said:

I feel like the Spurs were pretty widely predicted for 2005. They were coming off a 57 win season, the Lakers broke up with Shaq being traded.

The west was pretty much Spurs as the best and the TPups (Garnett, Spree, Wally and 58 year old Sam Cassell) and that was it. Mavs were a surprise team as Nellie quit midway through and Avery took over.

The East was pretty much just Pistons vs Indiana, then the Malice in the Palace happened and Indiana sucked, giving the Pistons a clear path to repeat through the East.

I could probably research this. But I'm fairly certain the Spurs have never been the favorites to start a season.
Ulrich
That's two guys who make their living taking bad shots off isolation as your 1-2. I've always loved seeing the spurs matched up against those kinds of teams because it's an easy 5-6 game win. Throw Gay in there and it's going to be a carnival of fade away 20 footers.
Guitarsoup
AG
Ulrich said:

That's two guys who make their living taking bad shots off isolation as your 1-2. I've always loved seeing the spurs matched up against those kinds of teams because it's an easy 5-6 game win. Throw Gay in there and it's going to be a carnival of fade away 20 footers.
This.
Ag Natural
AG
Ulrich said:

LMA had an effective FG% of 51% last season. Gay was at 50.4% and has been over 50% for 3 straight seasons. Derozan was at 48.8 and had increased every year for the past 5. He is still only 28.

So yeah, the numbers refute your claim.

Btw, Kawhi has an effective FG% that makes you drool. He's truly elite when healthy.
Guitarsoup
AG
Ag Natural said:

Ulrich said:

LMA had an effective FG% of 51% last season. Gay was at 50.4% and has been over 50% for 3 straight seasons. Derozan was at 48.8 and had increased every year for the past 5. He is still only 28.

Btw, Kawhi has an effective FG% that makes you drool. He's truly elite when healthy.
LMA was 84th in the NBA at eFG%.

LMA's True Shooting was 55th in the NBA

DeRozan: placed 125th in eFG% and 91st in TS%

That's not good.
Ulrich
Ag Natural said:

Ulrich said:

You did a pretty good job of supporting my claim... perhaps there are other numbers?
Pumpkinhead
AG
DeRozan shot 31% from three last season and is a career 28.9% 3-point shooter. So if this happened then the Spurs' two best players (LMA & DeRozan) would be about 30%-ish three point shooters?

Guitarsoup
AG
Ag Natural said:

Guitarsoup said:

I could probably research this. But I'm fairly certain the Spurs have never been the favorites to start a season.
Favorites by who?

Here is DA picking the Spurs in 99.

http://assets.espn.go.com/nba/s/1999/1025/133130.html

Five of eight of the experts picked the Spurs: http://assets.espn.go.com/nba/1999/1025/132965.html

2008: NBA gave surveys to the NBA GMs and they predicted the Spurs would win:

http://www.nba.com/preview2007/gmsurvey_predictions.html

2007: NBA GM Survey, also picked Spurs:

http://www.nba.com/preview2006/gmsurvey_predictions.html

2006: NBA GM Survey, also picked Spurs:

http://www.nba.com/preview2005/gmsurvey_predictions.html

2005 NBA GM Survey: also picked Spurs:

http://www.nba.com/preview2004/gmsurvey_championship.html

There are a lot of pre-season predictions made by a lot of people. But the Spurs have been among the top since Duncan was drafted pretty much every year.
Guitarsoup
AG
Good

Guitarsoup
AG
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/24126943/san-antonio-spurs-toronto-raptors-finalizing-deal-involving-kawhi-leonard-demar-derozan
Mike Elko
AG
Adios, mofo. I hope your career rots.
BlackLab
AG
jaemelscott98
@jaemelscott
Replying to @ChrisBHaynes
He threw a temper tantrum to be sent to the lakers or clippers and the Spurs sent him to whole different country
duck79
AG
KL is lucky that the NBA isn't like soccer. Pop would've sent him to Russia for future prospects that could be stashed and cash.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Guitarsoup said:

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/24126943/san-antonio-spurs-toronto-raptors-finalizing-deal-involving-kawhi-leonard-demar-derozan

Quote:

Leonard and DeRozan are both aware that an agreement could be imminent, and neither is expressing enthusiasm for the deal, league sources said.
Sounds promising.
BlackLab
AG

Quote:

Leonard "has no desire to play" for the Raptors, per @ShamsCharania and @ChrisBHaynes.

Don't forget your winter coat biatch.

PLUM LOCO
AG
If this ends up costing him $70-80 mil to play for lakers and the SPURS get an all star it sucks to be Kawhi.
BlackLab
AG
Derozan appears to be upset per his instagram.
PLUM LOCO
AG
I feel Derozen will get over his feeling a lot easier than KL.

This trade is a risk for Raptors but it does give them room to sign someone if kl flees.
Enzo The Baker
AG
We better be getting OG too. Going to need someone to pick up the slack on the other end.
atm0812
AG
I like this trade for both teams.

Toronto sees an opening with lebron out west, and Kawhi for DeMar is an upgrade chasing an elusive finals appearance.

SA has an elite asset who already quit and will leave in one year, that they turned into a good player under contract for 3 years.

None of this is ideal, but that went out the window a long time ago and this seems like the best offer the spurs could get.
aggie_fan13
AG
Adios dip****
Pendragon12
AG
Not in love with a Derozan + others/picks for Kawhi. BUT if we flip a disgruntled Kawhi to a team he doesn't want to play for, in the east, and get an all star back, it's best case scenario. And it's nothing really against DD. It'll just mean we have to somewhat inefficient scorers as our main guys in him and LA. With a PG/combo guard who still can't shoot 3s with consistency. But like I said, if we get an all star back under contract for a few years, big contract but not terrible awful, after this cluster of a situation, then we need to do it.

Hopefully Derozan has a change of attitude once he's here.
aggie_fan13
AG
I can understand his feelings he probably didn't want to leave and that was his team. Unlike our dip****
Brock Sampson
AG
Woj bomb...

saltydog13
AG
Finally an end to this
BlackLab
Pendragon12
AG
Brock Sampson said:

Woj bomb...

BlackLab
AG
Pau, Patty or Green??
Sports-Ag
AG
Well Kawhi, it was nice to have you on the team when you weren't a diva but you did this to yourself.
Pendragon12
AG
BlackLab said:

Pau, Patty or Green??
God I hope it's not Green. But I have a feeling it is. And that makes me sad.

But if we can swing OG and some picks, then I think the potential of this trade is solid.

We may have just flipped a disgruntled, injury-prone elite player who disappeared on his team for a whole year into (what should be) a loyal, all-star caliber player under contract for a couple more years. And to top it all off, we didn't give Kawhi even close to what he wanted, and he could likely lose 80 million in FA to get it next year. Pretty good win for PATFO.
LawHall88
AG
Brock Sampson said:

Woj bomb...

Two tears in a bucket, mother**** it.

Not a big fan of DeRozan, but at some point the Spurs just had to get the best deal they could get and cut their losses. Still sucks, though.
duck79
AG
Bill Simmons just speculated Gasol is involved. If so, thank you!!!
Mike Elko
AG
duck79 said:

Bill Simmons just speculated Gasol is involved. If so, thank you!!!
Please be true!
rsf0626
i guarantee the raptors saw the Paul George okc situation and that gave them hope they would be able to resign a player who didnt really want to be there originally

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.