*****2017-2018 San Antonio Spurs*****

298,021 Views | 3490 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by OlRock
West Texan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia said:

Can they do a sign and trade with him? sign him to the max to maximize the spurs leverage? i guess there is no reason for Kawhi to do it unless it was all but guaranteed we were sending him to LA.

Pretty sure you can't sign and trade on a supermax deal. Otherwise, there wouldn't be the arguments about how much money he'd be leaving by not signing with San Antonio.
Ag Natural
AG
West Texan said:

Can they do a sign and trade with him? sign him to the max to maximize the spurs leverage? i guess there is no reason for Kawhi to do it unless it was all but guaranteed we were sending him to LA.

Pretty sure you can't sign and trade on a supermax deal. Otherwise, there wouldn't be the arguments about how much money he'd be leaving by not signing with San Antonio.

Pretty Sure the Clips traded Blake after he signed a supermax
West Texan
AG
Ag Natural said:

West Texan said:

Pretty Sure the Clips traded Blake after he signed a supermax

Well, idk then.
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
Thats why i ask, i've heard it from either side and dont know what the truth is. i know there is a period of time that rookies cant be traded after they sign their rookie deals, which is 30 days i believe. figure it might be the same for someone on the supermax.

again, i know there is no real reason for Kawhi to do it (to say nothing of the other teams who may not want to take on that contract not knowing if KL is truly healthy). But if he trusts Pop to do right by him, and he just wants out of SA, then sign the deal, get your money, and get to start over in a new city, meanwhile Los Spurs get a more lucrative offer.
Good Poster
AG
Blake didn't sign a super max

Also, I believe you can't trade a player on a super max until one year later but not positive
LawHall88
AG
Obi Wan Ginobili
Kawhi can't be traded for a year if he signs supermax
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
LawHall88 said:

Ag Natural
AG
Obi Wan Ginobili said:

Kawhi can't be traded for a year if he signs supermax

That makes sense.
Iowaggie
AG
I see Spurs are continuing to accumulate former Grizzlies. I would think that would worry most Spurs fans.

Dante Cunningham is a limited skills guy that hustles, plays defense, and goes hard on offensive glass. He's been around the league, but I really liked him and wanted the Grizzlies to sign him the last few years.

He also had a girlfriend that allegedly made up a story that he abused her. I felt bad for him because no team would touch him for a while when that was going on. Seemed like a good guy.

Related video of him with game winning tip on a Rudy Gay. Then hugged by a bunch of guys not in league anymore.

West Texan
AG
Cunningham shoots a decent percentage from the corner 3, rebounds well, seems like a pretty good defender. He'll back up Gay and play mostly the 4 and park himself in the corner like Bruce Bowen most likely.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Quote:

Leonard's team of advisers including his agent, Mitch Frankel, and his uncle and business manager, Dennis Robertson reportedly believes the league's most low-key superstar can over time make up the financial difference in endorsement money and a new shoe deal if he moves to a higher-profile market.

There is growing suspicion among a collection of NBA agents a naturally suspicious group that Robertson is aiming to build his own marketing company with his nephew as its signature client, and would like to position Leonard in a glamour market to do so.

Multiple agents say Robertson a former banking executive has approached other players about wanting to be their manager.

Unbelievable.
Enzo The Baker
AG
And what I want to know is who the hell would want this guy to be their manager? He couldn't have managed this situation any more poorly.
Isaih Smollett
Will end up a net loss if he sits out another year. Who gives him a big contract then?
Ulrich
I'm not fully up on Dennis the Menace's resume, but shouldn't "banking executive" say "branch manager"?
West Texan
AG
Ulrich said:

I'm not fully up on Dennis the Menace's resume, but shouldn't "banking executive" say "branch manager"?

Enzo The Baker
AG
According to Windhorst.

Quote:

"I think they're in the driver's seat for Kawhi because I think the Lakers have given up. The Sixers have given up and with the Nets, Bulls and Hawks spending their cap space, it makes it harder to assemble a multi-team trade. I think the Raptors are in the driver's seat."
flashplayer
AG
If guitarsoup is right that it's about a $70 million difference, no way in hell hes making that up in endorsements AND reaching far beyond his salary plus lower endorsements in San Antonio.

He might very well out earn that over, say 7-8 years, but it's not a given, and it won't be by leaps and bounds. Figure in state income taxes and it's probably a push.

But maybe this banker dude knows something more than my simple mind.

Endorsements are actually work too. It's not like they just pay you to stuff your closet and dresser with their crap.
West Texan
AG
flashplayer said:

If guitarsoup is right that it's about a $70 million difference, no way in hell hes making that up in endorsements AND reaching far beyond his salary plus lower endorsements in San Antonio.

He might very well out earn that over, say 7-8 years, but it's not a given, and it won't be by leaps and bounds. Figure in state income taxes and it's probably a push.

Endorsements are actually work too. It's not like they just pay you to stuff your closet and dresser with their crap.

I very much doubt that Uncle Dennis knows something everyone else doesn't. Most people that cover basketball seem to all agree that Kawhi's group has handled this about as poorly as possible.
Guitarsoup
AG
flashplayer said:

Copied straight from ESPN.

http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-41023774-4
FTAG 2000
AG
machine20 said:

Will end up a net loss if he sits out another year. Who gives him a big contract then?

SA. It's in the cba. If he doesn't show for more than 30 days his contract tolls another year.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG

Really random, but I saw Manu today checking out a suspension bridge in Vancouver.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Oh wow, that's awesome.
Mike Elko
AG
ESPN article stating Kawho might participate in USA hoops minicamp next week... With Pop as HC. Awkward.
West Texan
AG
AustinAg2012 said:

ESPN article stating Kawho might participate in USA hoops minicamp next week... With Pop as HC. Awkward.

Not according to his personal mouth piece.

Enzo The Baker
AG
Windhorst says the raptors have made the spurs a 'compelling offer'.
West Texan
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Hopefully it's nothing like the "godfather" offer the lakers made us.
TyHolden
AG
West Texan said:

Enzo The Baker said:

Hopefully it's nothing like the "godfather" offer the lakers made us.
other than the annexation of Ottawa, it will suck
flashplayer
AG
Windhorst is a blowhard with crappy sources.

I want to see Pop offer Kawhi in a trade to the Russian national team in exchange for Putin's dirt on Trump.
Old Army Metal
AG
flashplayer said:

Windhorst is a blowhard with crappy sources.

I want to see Pop offer Kawhi in a trade to the Russian national team in exchange for Putin's dirt on Trump.
I have as much contempt for POTUS as the next guy but take this **** to the politics board.
Ag Natural
AG
If I'm being honest, a Toronto trade makes some sense.

First of all, option one is to keep Kawhi. This team is literally one Kawhi away from being a contender. Him wanting to leave makes no sense. But assuming he wants out and there is no turning back... then Toronto makes sense.

My reasoning is no team is going to trade young assets for Kawhi unless they know he will sign there. BUT... at team may trade a high priced asset for Kawhi. They would be getting rid of a big contract in exchange for a great player who MAY stay. And then if he leaves you just end up with cap space. Toronto fits this. They have both Derozon and Lowry signed to big deals and they clearly need to shake things up a bit. If I'm the Spurs, Derozen is way more appealing. Yeah you'd be taking on a lot of money but you'd be getting control over a bonafide allstar scoring guard. Make no mistake, Derozen is an elite scorer. He isn't the best 3 pt threat but his percentage actually increase least year plus he is the best 2 pt shooter in the league.

A Derozen and Aldridge tandem is pretty interesting. That's all I'm sayin.
Guitarsoup
AG
DeRozan could be a good #2 guy. Same as LMA.

Pair him with LMA and all we need to do is find our primary alpha player and we are set. Sounds easy!
Ag Natural
AG
Guitarsoup said:

DeRozan could be a good #2 guy. Same as LMA.

Pair him with LMA and all we need to do is find our primary alpha player and we are set. Sounds easy!
Who was the "primary alpha" on the 2014 Championship Team?
Guitarsoup
AG
The GOAT PF.

That team was out of the ordinary from most championship teams because it was so well balanced without anyone that was just a head and shoulders greater player, unlike what you have seen with Durant, LeBron, Curry, Kobe, etc. Putting together a team like that isn't exactly easy, but I would love to have some great veterans and a half dozen guys that can shoot threes at an elite level and defend around the smartest post player ever. Not sure LaMarcus and DeRozan is a good start on that type of build.
Ag Natural
AG
Guitarsoup said:

The GOAT PF.

That team was out of the ordinary from most championship teams because it was so well balanced without anyone that was just a head and shoulders greater player, unlike what you have seen with Durant, LeBron, Curry, Kobe, etc. Putting together a team like that isn't exactly easy, but I would love to have some great veterans and a half dozen guys that can shoot threes at an elite level and defend around the smartest post player ever. Not sure LaMarcus and DeRozan is a good start on that type of build.
Ideally sure. Thats why I said having Kawhi stay is option ONE.

But if he is not going to play then having two All NBA players and a bunch of young hungry guys with great coaching is a pretty interesting team. Not saying they'd but the odds on bet to win the championship.

However, if you look back which of the previous Spurs championship teams were ever favored at the beginning of the season? The answer is ZERO.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.