*** STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI ***

388,625 Views | 2709 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Ark03
Belton Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I keep coming back to the fact that she gets dropped off and put in the custody of a villain, Unkar Plutt. She's basically abandoned to a life of slavery in a nasty place with not much hope for her future. Why would Luke, Leia or Han do that to a child they cared for?

The Collective
AG
The way Maz's ability was hyped leads me to think she knew more about Rey than Han did. The question might have been just wanting to know how he and Rey ended up there together. The movie didn't quite clarify what Maz is able to do exactly... hope TLJ doesn't shed more light on Maz. I'd rather just let it be.
AliasMan02
AG
BernArnold said:

redline248 said:

CJS4715 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Quote:

No, we never hear/see any of Han's answer to Maz.
I always find this interesting. Something going on there, otherwise why show nothing there.

I've always found it a bit odd as well. I think because of all the eventual negativity from the internet, I just decided to write it off as a JJ misdirection... but in reconsideration, there is obviously something there.
On the one hand it feels like something JJ did intentionally to make fans take notice and do what we're doing...saying "something's up with that."

On the other hand, when Maz goes down to find Rey after the vision she says "Han told me about Jakku" and the how she's waiting on people. So we could assume he told her just that. Rey is a loner from Jakku they picked up tracking the Falcon.

....except that does not logically lead to....I just met you, but what the heck, take this most treasured possession of mine Luke's lightsaber.

yeah yeah i know she basically is saying well it spoke to you, etc....but wow what a coincidence that she was kinda called down there and the vault just happened to open for her automagically.

fate..........or deus ex machina????

Maz clearly knows that Rey is Force sensetive and how rare that is. The lightsaber called to her. Maz doesn't seem like one to question that.
MandoArms
Belton Ag said:

I keep coming back to the fact that she gets dropped off and put in the custody of a villain, Unkar Plutt. She's basically abandoned to a life of slavery in a nasty place with not much hope for her future. Why would Luke, Leia or Han do that to a child they cared for?

The only logical reason I can see is that Kylo hid her from Snoke...so she wouldn't replace him. This ouwld have happened at the start of his turn to the Dark Side. We all know he is no Anakin...he couldn't bring himself to kill a youngling....but dump her off on a slave world...yea I can see that.
tk for tu juan
TCTTS said:

redline248
AG

I've been thinking more about this shot from the trailer, largely due to the IMAX tweet I posted earlier. Doesn't this almost look like Rey is about to challenge Luke? He's all in the dark, and pretty menacing looking.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
BrownCoat said:

Belton Ag said:

The only logical reason I can see is that Kylo hid her from Snoke...so she wouldn't replace him. This ouwld have happened at the start of his turn to the Dark Side. We all know he is no Anakin...he couldn't bring himself to kill a youngling....but dump her off on a slave world...yea I can see that.

I don't believe anyone (whoever) did leave her with Unkar Plutt.

Remember the beginning of the movie....who was very nearby....Lor Sen Takka (played by Max Van Sydow) a a non force sensitive believer in the Jedi and a follower of The Church of the Force who clearly knew Ben/Kylo and Leia and was loyal to the family. He studied history and searched for artifacts. He's the one who of course found the segment of the map leading to Luke.

If you think thats just a coincidence well....not sure what to tell you.

What they wanted to make you think was THAT was his only purpose. But I believe he was the one protecting young Rey. similar to Obi Wan (Ben) Kenobi being nearby overlooking Luke on Tatooine. They would not want Rey directly with him if he were found or someone were suspicious. But nearby enough that he could keep tabs on her....and perhaps Unkar owes him some debt so he reluctantly agrees to employ her basically but not give her enough rations so that she can never escape.

You quite clearly see Unkar with her when she is left in her memory or vision of it, but you could only se one side of her. I believe Lor was there as well on the other side out of frame of that conveniently close shot.

Now that still does not necessarily say WHO left her there....but I don't think it was simply with Unkar. She was better protected than that at least until he was killed and the Order came looking for the droid, etc.
AgMarauder04
AG
amercer
AG
I don't think there are any subtle hints about Rey in TFA. Luke, Han, Leia might know who she is, but I don't think JJ put anything in the movie to indicate that.

I do think there is a back story with Kylo, but I think the novelization is probably also being over interpreted. When Kylo says that line, they've already had two scenes together so that may be where he knows her from.

I trust Lucasfilm/Disney to make sure that TLJ and later movies don't contradict events in TFA, but I don't think JJ was littering the movie with hints. I think it was pretty straightforward.
redline248
AG
Quote:

I do think there is a back story with Kylo, but I think the novelization is probably also being over interpreted. When Kylo says that line, they've already had two scenes together so that may be where he knows her from.
Can you explain your thoughts on this a little more? The two scenes they've had are when he 1) captures her and 2) interrogates her. Why when he sees her in the forest (in the book) would he say "it is you!" after those 2 scenes? He wouldn't have forgotten who she was in the hour or so since she escaped.

edit: Earlier when I mentioned subtle hints, I was talking about things like has been discussed about Han's body language and looks at Rey we've discussed. Or how she seems a natural on the Falcon or with a blaster...those kind of things felt like hints when I saw the movie the first time. Certainly possible they were nothing.
redline248
AG
This is a very good point, and thanks for that reminder. It is also worth noting that Unkar doesn't notify the first order about the droid with Rey.
bangobango
AG
redline248 said:

I've been thinking more about this shot from the trailer, largely due to the IMAX tweet I posted earlier. Doesn't this almost look like Rey is about to challenge Luke? He's all in the dark, and pretty menacing looking.

I think that is her test, like when luke fought vader and cut his head off and it was luke under the mask.
bangobango
AG
redline248 said:

Quote:

Can you explain your thoughts on this a little more? The two scenes they've had are when he 1) captures her and 2) interrogates her. Why when he sees her in the forest (in the book) would he say "it is you!" after those 2 scenes? He wouldn't have forgotten who she was in the hour or so since she escaped.

edit: Earlier when I mentioned subtle hints, I was talking about things like has been discussed about Han's body language and looks at Rey we've discussed. Or how she seems a natural on the Falcon or with a blaster...those kind of things felt like hints when I saw the movie the first time. Certainly possible they were nothing.

I am sure this has been thrown out, but what if Rey was a Snoke prodigy and her memory was wiped and she was deposited on Jakku? Kind of like the old star wars video game tbe old republic?
amercer
AG
I haven't read the book but I assume the "it IS you" line is after she force grabs the lightsaber away from him?

Kylo knows Rey is strong with the force from the interrogation scene. He senses a force user in the forest, and then when he sees it's Rey he says "it IS you"

It's not crazy to read that as Kylo having some realization of who Rey is. It's also not crazy to think that Disney wouldn't plant a huge nugget like that in the novelization.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
tk for tu juan said:

TCTTS said:

Its unfair how adorable this woman is.
redline248
AG
The "it is you" could be some sort of prophesy type thing like in the prequels, but I seriously hope not.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
For those of you that complained about CGI Chewie:

TCTTS
AG
Yeah, I saw some people on Twitter b*tching about that and thought I must have missed a shot. Couldn't believe they were referring to that quick close-up in the Falcon. Nothing about him in that shot looks remotely CGI to me.
jr15aggie
AG
I think the animatronics are so good in that shot that it looks CG. The trailer cuts right to Chewie as his eyes are big and wide. I think that's why people thought it looked off.

But I thought it looked fine... Chewie looking good along with his little porg friend!
The Collective
AG
Alleged CGI Chewie in TLJ trailer = Vader shoulder width complaint from Rogue One trailer... odd complaints from a quick 2 second shot.
Simplebay
AG
If Luke wasn't afraid before... wouldn't fail Yoda...

But this raw strength scares him now...

And fear is the path to the dark side...

Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, and hate leads to all fanboys out there suffering
amercer
AG
I have spent 40 years on this earth and there are few things a know with absolute certainty. One of them is that Luke Skywalker isn't turning to the dark side.
The Collective
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Could he be so afraid of someone ELSE turning (ie Rey), that he unwittingly turns himself?

Think about it. He sees Rey's raw power, and thinks if he trains her, she will inevitably fall to Snoke/Kylo, starting the cycle all over again.

Is refusing to train Rey (or refusing to get involved himself) any better than having gone over to the Dark Side? I feel like they'll make us think he's lost himself to fear (he'll even wear that dark hood), and at the last minute, he comes in and saves Rey. At least, that's what I'm hoping.

(It sounds cliche, but wouldn't the good guys saving the day be UNexpected in this case?)
The Collective
AG
It would. But, I'd much rather him force lightning the **** out of Rey. That'd be a nice little twist.

edit:
Seriously though...
I think you can glean from Mark's interviews that Luke Skywalker's hero legacy is going to be impacted in this film. When you hear Mark say things like (paraphrasing), "this is direction I never thought about for Luke" or mention how protective he is of the character, it's obvious to me that they are shaking things up a bit. I hope that I can stomach whichever direction they go, I was always a Luke fan boy over Han, and Luke came from the era where the lines of good and evil were clearly drawn.
twilly
AG
CJS4715 said:

It would. But, I'd much rather him force lightning the **** out of Rey. That'd be a nice little twist.

edit:
Seriously though...
I think you can glean from Mark's interviews that Luke Skywalker's hero legacy is going to be impacted in this film. When you hear Mark say things like (paraphrasing), "this is direction I never thought about for Luke" or mention how protective he is of the character, it's obvious to me that they are shaking things up a bit. I hope that I can stomach whichever direction they go, I was always a Luke fan boy over Han, and Luke came from the era where the lines of good and evil were clearly drawn.
What pushed me over the edge in thinking that Luke's legacy will be negatively impacted is the over the top honors and lauding of Mark Hamill by Disney over the last year (Disney Legend, GQ, Walk of Fame, etc). it just seems that this is a "hero's farewell" with all the extra exposure Hamill has been given. If Luke becomes an unsympathetic character by being timid, fearful, and mean spirited, it would be harder to honor him like Disney has done because the public/audience will now have mixed feelings about Luke.

It would not be out of character for Disney to have the hero kiddos save the conflicted, fearful, and fallen old crotchety guy from danger.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Come to think of it, maybe Luke's heroic moment doesn't happen until Ep 9. That would make a lot more sense. Especially considering Abrams is coming back for it and we know he is a fanboy. Now he finally gets to use Luke as the badass Jedi we all want him to be.

Make him a weak and fearful ***** for a whole movie, and then redeem him and have him finally enter the picture like the certified badass we know he is. But please, please, don't spoil it in the trailers.

If Luke ignites a lightsaber, I don't want to see it until I'm sitting in the theater.
Belton Ag
AG
Quote:

I don't believe anyone (whoever) did leave her with Unkar Plutt.

Remember the beginning of the movie....who was very nearby....Lor Sen Takka (played by Max Van Sydow) a a non force sensitive believer in the Jedi and a follower of The Church of the Force who clearly knew Ben/Kylo and Leia and was loyal to the family. He studied history and searched for artifacts. He's the one who of course found the segment of the map leading to Luke.

If you think thats just a coincidence well....not sure what to tell you.

What they wanted to make you think was THAT was his only purpose. But I believe he was the one protecting young Rey. similar to Obi Wan (Ben) Kenobi being nearby overlooking Luke on Tatooine. They would not want Rey directly with him if he were found or someone were suspicious. But nearby enough that he could keep tabs on her....and perhaps Unkar owes him some debt so he reluctantly agrees to employ her basically but not give her enough rations so that she can never escape.

You quite clearly see Unkar with her when she is left in her memory or vision of it, but you could only se one side of her. I believe Lor was there as well on the other side out of frame of that conveniently close shot.

Now that still does not necessarily say WHO left her there....but I don't think it was simply with Unkar. She was better protected than that at least until he was killed and the Order came looking for the droid, etc.
I always believed that Max Von Sydow was there close to Rey for a reason and not because of a coincidence, and it could very well be that Rey is the child of Han and Leia and was put there for a good reason. What I have trouble with is if that were the case, then Unkar Plutt was a totally baffling choice of a caretaker. It would seem that Abrams and Kasdan just threw him in there to add backstory to Rey; to give her background one of adversity and hardship because Plutt is no lovable grouch, he's a straight up bad dude. They even went as far as filming a scene for the Force Awakens where Plutt travels to Maz' palace to confront Rey and kidnap her, and in the process he gets his arm ripped off by Chewbacca. If he were "in on it" why would he have shown up and tried to take her right in front of Han Solo? I realize they deleted the scene, but why would they have written the scene to begin with?

Lor had to know what a scoundrel Unkar was, why not just keep her in his village with a family there?
amercer
AG
I want the Luke ****ing Skywalker who can pull Star Destroyers out of the sky with just the force.

I don't think we ever get that though.
amercer
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

If Luke ignites a lightsaber, I don't want to see it until I'm sitting in the theater.

What color will it be???
MandoArms
amercer said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

What color will it be???
White like Ahsoka's
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
There's only one correct answer. Search your feelings.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
What would be epic is that Luke is basically the balance now. Rey doesn't understand this, ends up back with Kylo, they both becomes lets not say dark but off the correct path, and Luke has to turn them BOTH back to the balance, by pulling star destroyers down on them.
Flashdiaz
AG
tx1c
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Come to think of it, maybe Luke's heroic moment doesn't happen until Ep 9. That would make a lot more sense. Especially considering Abrams is coming back for it and we know he is a fanboy. Now he finally gets to use Luke as the badass Jedi we all want him to be.

Make him a weak and fearful ***** for a whole movie, and then redeem him and have him finally enter the picture like the certified badass we know he is. But please, please, don't spoil it in the trailers.

This needs more stars than I can give.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.