*** STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI ***

389,038 Views | 2709 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Ark03
The Collective
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TCTTS said:

Nice, yeah, hadn't seen Part 7 pop up yet. Thanks!

Is it just me or is almost every supposed major question lingering from TFA being downplayed as we prepare for TLJ?
TCTTS
AG
Seems that way, yeah. But I trust Rian Johnson. Giving fans the answers they think they want doesn't always make for the best story. So we'll see.
Malachi Constant
AG
Does Mark Hamill even TexAgs, bro?

The Collective
AG
Indeed. I do too. If we could put the OT in modern times - I wonder what questions people would have obsessed about between Star Wars and ESB that would have gone unanswered.

In the end, I'm glad that Johnson / Disney seem focused on creating a good film rather than dealing with every plot point setup by TFA. I think that is a real positive sign.
TCTTS
AG
Could be cool...

The Collective
AG

I feel like this whole character is a cheat.... while I didn't mind her in TFA (indifferent is probably the right word), I have a feeling that I will just end up hating her by the end of this trilogy.

Quote:

Maz has insights into the past, and for a film about history, family connections, and the way the Force shapes destiny, she is bound to deliver important information.
TCTTS
AG
I can't stand Maz, and it's such a bummer she's still going to be around, especially in the context described.
AliasMan02
AG
I harp on this general topic a lot, but Maz was and will be important for establishing for movie audiences that use of the Force is not limited to Jedi and Sith. The Jedi/Sith dichotomy isn't sustainable for a franchise that is going to crank out movies for decades. This is especially important if the Sith order is really gone and the Jedi are on the brink.

Think about it. She is the only Force user in any movie to have no ties to either order.

I get the issues with her, but in the big picture, introducing someone like her early on was important to the franchise.
The Collective
AG
Another discussion point this week... Luke clearly became fascinated with the chosen one prophecy and assigned it to Ben Solo? Why? This damn idea.
Belton Ag
AG
TCTTS said:

Ugh. What the **** is this *****

Did someone let Lucas back in the goddam building?
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Belton Ag said:

TCTTS said:

Nope, someone let the Henson's back in the building:

BMX Bandit
Belton Ag said:

TCTTS said:

hate that a space movie meant to appeal to young kids has space creatures that young people will find appealing
AliasMan02
AG
Belton Ag said:

TCTTS said:

Don't see what the big deal is. They seem super Star Warsy to me. Background alien players as part of the menagerie is part of the standard fare. I really like the idea that they're there caring for the temple.
Flashdiaz
AG
The creatures are fine, I don't care for the outfits as it's a direct replica of nuns. It comes across as a cheap way to convey their purpose. Why not dress them in original clothes?
Reminds me of the diner scene in attack of the clones... too similar to our real world and just feels out of place.
The Collective
AG
Flashdiaz said:

Reminds me of the diner scene in attack of the clones... too similar to our real world and just feels out of place.

Except for the feeding a chick with the force part. #CheatCode
bangobango
AG
TCTTS said:

I can't stand Maz, and it's such a bummer she's still going to be around, especially in the context described.
I don't get the Maz hate, but then I never minded the Ewoks, either.
redline248
AG
Ewoks are 10x better than Maz.
maca1028
Maz nor the Ewoks bothered me until I started following this thread.
jabberwalkie09
AG
AliasMan02 said:

I harp on this general topic a lot, but Maz was and will be important for establishing for movie audiences that use of the Force is not limited to Jedi and Sith. The Jedi/Sith dichotomy isn't sustainable for a franchise that is going to crank out movies for decades. This is especially important if the Sith order is really gone and the Jedi are on the brink.

Think about it. She is the only Force user in any movie to have no ties to either order.

I get the issues with her, but in the big picture, introducing someone like her early on was important to the franchise.

I know we've mentioned it in the Rebels threads for a couple of seasons, but the whole "force user with allegiance to no one faction" has been in the works for awhile now. Granted, the majority of people aren't watching the TV series (TCW or Rebels) but the ground work has been laid. Really, Filoni laid the foundation with Ahsoka's exit from The Jedi Order in TCW.

Besides Ahsoka in Rebels, we also had Bendu who was very much neutral which has been an interesting contrast not only to Kanan and Ezra but also Ahsoka.

I do agree that the black and white dichotomy as has been depicted for force users until now isn't sustainable for a franchise to continue to pull stories from, so some grey feels warranted... Maybe even needed. Really kind of depends on how big they want to make the universe feel and where else they want to go.
redline248
AG
In Ep 1 Qui-gon admitted that the Jedi order couldn't find everyone. And obviously the Sith masters following Bane didn't even try. It should be no surprise that people like Maz exist.

However, she still sucks.
AliasMan02
AG
redline248 said:

In Ep 1 Qui-gon admitted that the Jedi order couldn't find everyone. And obviously the Sith masters following Bane didn't even try. It should be no surprise that people like Maz exist.

However, she still sucks.

To the average average Star Wars viewer, light and dark sides are interchangeable with Jedi and Sith. That's the issue they need to work out and introduce.
redline248
AG
Does the average star wars viewer want to see a movie without Jedi?
Flashdiaz
AG
redline248 said:

Rogue One
redline248
AG
Flashdiaz said:

redline248 said:

Rogue One

Fair point. What about future movies without the Death Star and Darth Vader? Han Solo will be a good test, but it still will rely on known, lovable characters.
Flashdiaz
AG
redline248 said:

Flashdiaz said:

redline248 said:

Rogue One

Fair point. What about future movies without the Death Star and Darth Vader? Han Solo will be a good test, but it still will rely on known, lovable characters.
it's going to be a while before we get to a Star Wars movie without a familiar character as the lead.
StarWars 8&9. Solo.... rumblings of Obi Wan. Boba Fett was originally thought about.

Other than that, that's all I'm aware of.
Rex Racer
AG
redline248 said:

My wife didn't like Rogue One as well because it didn't have Jedi. I loved it, but I did miss the light sabers.
Liquid Wrench
bangobango said:

TCTTS said:

Same.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Rex Racer said:

redline248 said:

My wife didn't like Rogue One as well because it didn't have Jedi. I loved it, but I did miss the light sabers.

ummmmm.......go to the 1 minute mark

Flashdiaz
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

Rex Racer said:

redline248 said:

Random fact, Gareth Edwards is the rebel that pulls the lever to release the ship at the 1:35 mark.
Rex Racer
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

Rex Racer said:

redline248 said:

I know, but there wasn't NEARLY enough screen time for Vader, IMO. I loved what they did have, though.
TCTTS
AG
Ag Since 83
AG
Geez, 4 months to go and we're already at the "opening scenes details revealed stage"?

Been thinking about quitting the thread ever since the EW issue. This clinches it. See you guys in December
Belton Ag
AG
bangobango said:

TCTTS said:

I'm not a Maz hater but I think she would have been better if they would have let Lupita (can't spell it) play her as a human.
TCTTS
AG
Agreed.

Overall, it's just that nothing about her felt organic. Her only reason for existing was to basically be a random info dump, without feeling a part of the plot in any real way. I get that there needed to be an old steward of the Force or whatever in the absence of any Jedi, but there were a dozen better ways to handle that idea/character.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Ag Since 83 said:

Geez, 4 months to go and we're already at the "opening scenes details revealed stage"?

Been thinking about quitting the thread ever since the EW issue. This clinches it. See you guys in December
I think I'm just done clinking on links. I skipped clicking on the EW link, and I'm going to skip clicking on this one.

Though, it is tempting.....

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.