*** STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI ***

391,588 Views | 2709 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Ark03
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ugh.

"Let's introduce a new Emperor-like figure and then shroud him in complete mystery for not one, but TWO movies!"

FL_Ag1998
AG
TCTTS said:

Ugh.

"Let's introduce a new Emperor-like figure and then shroud him in complete mystery for not one, but TWO movies!"

Ughh is right. In that case they better have a damn good adversary in his place for the 2nd movie. And I don't mean Emo-Kylo with his tantrums, either.
Saul Goodman
AG
To be fair, the Emperor remained a mystery through Episodes IV and V.
TCTTS
AG
True, but they had a pass. There had never been another movie previously, and they kind of made a point out of just throwing the audience into the middle of the story. With TFA, they owed the audience just a bit more explanation, as to bridge the gap from ROTJ. It's one thing to throw the audience into a brand new story and catch them up later. It's another thing to throw them into a sequel with almost no explanation as to how we got from the last one to here.
Malcolm52
AG
Snoke is the worst thing about the new triology. So lame
TCTTS
AG
Right there with you. It's like they had to decide at the vey last minute who he was going to be and what he was going to look like...

"I don't know... let's just make him a Palpatine redo but uglier? Let's do a scarred face again, but like extreme scars this time. And let's make him way less interesting, too, and kind of even cliched. Oh, and make sure we don't divulge anything about him, but in doing so, not play up any mystery whatsoever. Will that work?"
AGGies0311
I think the emo, daddy issue Kylo Ren is the worst.... should have never taken his mask off
Malcolm52
AG
TCTTS said:

Right there with you. It's like they had to decide at the vey last limit who he was going to be / what he was going to look like...

"I don't know, let's just make him a Palpatine redo but uglier? More scars, but way less interesting. Oh, and make sure we don't divulge anything about him, but in doing so, not play up any mystery whatsoever. Will that work?"
Spot on. He is basically a big cartoon who added nothing interesting to the plot. All he made me do was think "who the hell is this guy?," " wow how lame and uninteresting," and " meh don't care next scene" all simultaneously"

Not sure how they expected the audience to take him seriously.
Malcolm52
AG
2/7Marine0311 said:

I think the emo, daddy issue Kylo Ren is the worst.... should have never taken his mask off
a close second for me. also a terrible move imo
Ulrich
I find Kylo Ren interesting. The actor has a decent screen presence and a compelling voice, but any time he stops moving or the camera pans out all I can see is Dark Helmet.

Skinny actors have been menacing before, but with the helmet and the relatively form-fitting clothing he looks like a ten year old in a Halloween costume due to his disproportionately large head.

Emo can work too, there have been introspective yet conflicted bad guys, but Driver tips the scales a little too much toward pathetic.

I wonder how much of it is Disney trying to create a "villain of the age" that reminds young people of themselves.
Ag Since 83
AG
1. Kylo taking his mask off was critical to the plot of VII. In both the seen with Rey and of course with Han, him showing his face both served to develop the character and advance his intentions in the scene.

2. That report about Snoke is just vague enough that I don't know if it's worth freaking out about.
AliasMan02
AG
Snoke isn't a character that we know. The article talks about it like we're waiting on a big reveal. We're waiting to see more about him and all that, but there isn't going to be a big TADA moment where it is revealed that he is actually ______.

And obviously we'll learn more about Snoke. It seems impossible that we won't see him because he just summoned Kylo back to complete his training.
The Collective
AG
Kylo is an interesting character, and I like him more without the mask, but I agree that they've missed the mark with Snoke thus far. They are going to need a huge payoff with him (not some big reveal but just a well executed character), but I have my doubts. They might have just been better off pulling in a Thrawn like character.
Dro07
AG
Why not just say he is Darth Plagues and be done with it? Its that simple
The Collective
AG
I wonder if Snoke's story was even hashed out by Abrams and the story group or if they left it completely up to 8 & 9 writers.

At the same time, I don't see how their much time to explore Snoke. This film is going to have quite a bit going on already, it seems.
AliasMan02
AG
dromo07 said:

Because he's not. He's an entirely new, non-Sith character from the Unknown Regions.
TCTTS
AG
But even THAT little tidbit of info would have helped tremendously AND made him more of a mystery. Just one line in TFA where someone mentions or questions Snoke being from the "Unknown Regions" would have done wonders. Instead, it's alluded to in some book a tiny fraction of the audience actually read, and now we basically have to wait two three movies to confirm.
Dro07
AG
AliasMan02 said:

Because he's not. He's an entirely new, non-Sith character from the Unknown Regions.
damn I missed this... Where is this from?
The Collective
AG
Agreed. Hell, most people have never even heard of the Unknown Regions, and it seems like a pretty key factor behind the First Order... why not even a hint of lip service to it? Snoke might end up being handled worse than Thanos.
Flashdiaz
AG
AliasMan02 said:

dromo07 said:

Isn't Thrawn from the Unkown Regions

although unlikely, would be neat if Kylo were trained by another Sith Master, not Snoke.... leaving Snoke to be a powerful non-force user.

Dro07
AG
Wait so I am confused... is Snoke a non force user? I thought he was the one that felt the force awaken?

This crap is getting confusing
AliasMan02
AG
TCTTS said:

But even THAT little tidbit of info would have helped tremendously AND made him more of a mystery. Just one line in TFA where someone mentions or questions Snoke being from the "Unknown Regions" would have done wonders. Instead, it's alluded to in some book a tiny fraction of the audience actually read, and now we basically have to wait two three movies to confirm.

It hasn't even really been mentioned to in a book, and Snoke never gets talked about. It's just there if you study how Disney executes these things. At Palpatine's direction, the fallen Empire went into the Unknown Regions (Aftermath), where terrible evil things live (Thrawn), and the Dark Side is believed to emanate from (Aftermath and Tarkin). The FO returns with Snoke at it's head (TFA).

That's literally all that has been said. I could be wrong about him, but I'm very confident.

Right or wrong, the decision was made not to get into the backgrounds of the FO or Resistance in TFA, largely for reasons we've talked about here: avoiding politics, relying on fans to fill in the blanks from their understanding of Empire and Rebellion. Everything about the origins of the FO, Kylo's fall, Snoke, the Knights of Ren, etc. are total mysteries. Same for the Resistance, really. Now that TFA has provided the emotional relaunch of the series, they'll get into the backstory.
AliasMan02
AG
dromo07 said:

Wait so I am confused... is Snoke a non force user? I thought he was the one that felt the force awaken?

All indications are that he is a powerful Dark Side user, but not a Sith.
AliasMan02
AG
CJS4715 said:

Agreed. Hell, most people have never even heard of the Unknown Regions, and it seems like a pretty key factor behind the First Order... why not even a hint of lip service to it? Snoke might end up being handled worse than Thanos.

Geography in Star Wars has never been much of a concern. It's always been firmly in the realm of the extended canon.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
AliasMan02 said:

dromo07 said:

I think he's Sifo Dyas...

Quote:

Sifo Dyas was a Jedi master serving on the Jedi council. He advocated for the creation of an army for the republic. Because of this, he was removed from the Jedi Council. But that didn't stop Sifo Dyas from going to Kamino to begin the creation of the clone army for the Republic. He was shot down my mercenaries on orders from Count Dooku. We know his body was brought to Dooku for proof by the mercs and we are left to assume that he died in the crash. Well in the clone wars, Yoda sees a vision of what appears to be Sifo Dyas bound, trapped and tortured. He says to yoda that he had been imprisoned for so long. The vision turns out be darth Sidious impersonating Sifo Dyas. But what if parts of the vision was actually Sifo Dyas? If he was kept alive then he would have escaped somehow after being tortured by the Sith. This could answer for the mutilated face that Snoke has. Sifo Dyas, during his capture would have had a lot of time to consider his position with the Jedi's. He urged the Jedi Council to build an army for the republic. They said no and yet, the army was made and it was welcomed by a large part of the council. The Jedi never went to look For Sifo Dyas believing that he died in the crash following the recovery of his light sabre. The Sith tortured him for intel. When he finally escaped, he renounced his Jedi oath. He loathed Jedi and sith alike. He saw the empire rise and burn. He took on a new apprentice and picked up where Palpatine left off. This time, instead of calling it the revived empire, Sifo Dyas, now going by Snoke, builds his new empire the first order, and claims the spot of supreme leader.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Quote:

Since the reveal of the title for star wars episode 8, fans started to speculate that the word 'the last jedi' doesn't mean that there will be no more Jedi after Luke or if Rey becomes a jedi then she will be the last. What if the last jedi hints at the ancient jedi order. We know of the modern Jedi order but the Jedi are ancient. What the order is during the old republic could be much different than the Jedi order from legend and lore. I love the theory that the ancient jedi aren't necessary the good guys and the Sith aren't necessarily the bad guys. What if they are just two warring orders, one harnessing the light and one harnessing the dark? Now lets look at Snoke. If he is as ancient as people say, what if he is the last remaining Jedi fron the ancient order? He taught Kylo Ren everything he knows and Ren even uses a lightsabre from ancient designs. No present jedi or sith would have knowledge of how to construct something like that. We know that Luke went into exile seeking the very first Jedi Temple so could Luke be gathering intel and planning the eventual battle between him and the last Jedi?
3rdGen2015
AG
SpreadsheetAg said:

AliasMan02 said:

dromo07 said:

Quote:

Sifo Dyas was a Jedi master serving on the Jedi council. He advocated for the creation of an army for the republic. Because of this, he was removed from the Jedi Council. But that didn't stop Sifo Dyas from going to Kamino to begin the creation of the clone army for the Republic. He was shot down my mercenaries on orders from Count Dooku. We know his body was brought to Dooku for proof by the mercs and we are left to assume that he died in the crash. Well in the clone wars, Yoda sees a vision of what appears to be Sifo Dyas bound, trapped and tortured. He says to yoda that he had been imprisoned for so long. The vision turns out be darth Sidious impersonating Sifo Dyas. But what if parts of the vision was actually Sifo Dyas? If he was kept alive then he would have escaped somehow after being tortured by the Sith. This could answer for the mutilated face that Snoke has. Sifo Dyas, during his capture would have had a lot of time to consider his position with the Jedi's. He urged the Jedi Council to build an army for the republic. They said no and yet, the army was made and it was welcomed by a large part of the council. The Jedi never went to look For Sifo Dyas believing that he died in the crash following the recovery of his light sabre. The Sith tortured him for intel. When he finally escaped, he renounced his Jedi oath. He loathed Jedi and sith alike. He saw the empire rise and burn. He took on a new apprentice and picked up where Palpatine left off. This time, instead of calling it the revived empire, Sifo Dyas, now going by Snoke, builds his new empire the first order, and claims the spot of supreme leader.

Hasn't Snoke already been confirmed to be not human though?
AliasMan02
AG
I believe so.
Flashdiaz
AG
SpreadsheetAg said:

AliasMan02 said:

dromo07 said:

Quote:

interesting but doubt they take anything from the prequels... they'd have to re-explain who he is.
OnlyForNow
AG
I could see this sorta working out.

Kylo worships Vader not the Emperor, and Vader wasn't really a true Sith, just a strong force using piss-poor Jedi.

So if Snoke ends up being a turn-cloak Jedi, it won't be that far-fetched. The rest of his specific back story I don't think is important.
Urban Ag
AG
If this is true and Snoke remains a mystery, there is another part that doesn't make sense to me. As I recall, doesn't Leia and Han briefly talk about "Snoke watching Ben from afar and seducing his to the dark side" or something to that effect? I mean, they seem to know who he is right?
Belton Ag
AG
Urban Ag said:

If this is true and Snoke remains a mystery, there is another part that doesn't make sense to me. As I recall, doesn't Leia and Han briefly talk about "Snoke watching Ben from afar and seducing his to the dark side" or something to that effect? I mean, they seem to know who he is right?
The only mention of him I can recall was Leia saying "It was Snoke, he seduced our son to the dark side," or something to that effect. Nothing about watching him from afar.

But I'm sure that he was there with Ben and Luke, and possibly he knows Han and Leia and the rest. He must have weaseled his way into the situation some time after the Empire fell, all the while cultivating and starting the First Order from afar.

It ought to be interesting how they tell his story of coming into prominence.
AliasMan02
AG
Urban Ag said:

They know he leads the FO and that he is the Dark Sider who turned Ben. Any number of ways that could play out. They may only know Snoke was involved after the fact because Kylo now serves him. Hell, Ben could have written them a message before he destroyed Luke's academy.
bedofbrass33
AG
More fuel to the gray Jedi speculation. Notice that the FO peeps on the Vanity Fair cover are distinctly labelled "The Dark Side". Rey and Luke are only labelled as "The Force". No mention of the light side.
lunchbox
I think Snoke is Kahn.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.