*** STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI ***

390,414 Views | 2709 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Ark03
Buck Compton
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
wcb said:

I gotta believe Rey's a Solo and thus has Skywalker blood. When Leia and Luke were born they were unaware of twins until the birth, correct? My new hypothesis is that Leia is not awake at the birth of Rey / Ben (aka Kylo); Luke (and maybe Han?) decides to hide Rey.
Leia passed out, then popped the two kids out? And then they just randomly decided to keep her asleep while they came up with an elaborate plan to hide one of them from her? For what reason? That's an absolutely terrible theory.
Urban Ag
AG
Hyper-drive, inter-planetary travel technology: check
Bacta tank ultimate life saving/healing technology: check
Droids that are fluent in over two millions forms of communication: check
Death Star space station that can destroy entire planets in seconds: check

Sonogram/ultrasound technology: nope

3rdGen2015
AG
Except Rey is like 19, Kylo is like 27
Belton Ag
AG
3rdGen2015 said:

Except Rey is like 19, Kylo is like 27

It was quite a nap Leia had.
AliasMan02
AG
wcb said:

Watched TFA again this morning.

Snoke referred to Luke as "the last Jedi". Didn't know if that had been mentioned yet. Seems like a no brainer as to who the new tile references.

I gotta believe Rey's a Solo and thus has Skywalker blood. When Leia and Luke were born they were unaware of twins until the birth, correct? My new hypothesis is that Leia is not awake at the birth of Rey / Ben (aka Kylo); Luke (and maybe Han?) decides to hide Rey.

And the dude with the map that's killed in the opening scene of TFA? He was Rey's Obi Wan. Watching from a distance.

Sorry if any of this is old speculation. Otherwise fire away.

Can definitely say from canon sources that Ben Solo doesn't have a twin.
NColoradoAG
Watched looper last night since it'd been a while and I didn't have the best recollection of the film. Great first act. Its really captivating and the setting is laid out very well. It really bogs down though. Its disjointed in the middle with Bruce Willis going after all the kids. It actually feels like three 45 minute television episodes. The last half of the third act is pretty good though and the ending is tied up well for a plot that gets tricky sometimes.

I think this episode is going to be quite dark, which i dont think will be a revelation to anyone. I think Johnson will do a better job than Abrams of bringing us into that "galaxy far far away". Johnson doesnt have to revive thr franchise and introduce several new main characters.

8 months to go!
AGGies0311
The Last Jedi is Luke... so says the scroll from Episode 7
Flashdiaz
AG
TCTTS
AG

TCTTS
AG
Malachi Constant
Flashdiaz
AG

kidding... it actually makes more sense that way.
jackie childs
I like the idea of Rey being a Solo.

The Force was strong in Ben, so they sent him to Luke to train. But then Rey is born and it's even stronger in her. I can see a scene where she's a baby in her crib and Han and Leia go check on her and everything in the room is just floating all around her. They wind up sending her to Luke at an even younger age than Ben.

That's what causes Ben to get all pissy because little sister is getting all the attention. He eventually snaps and kills everyone. Luke escapes with Rey, but lets everyone (including Ben, Han and Leia) that Rey dies. He stashes her on Jakku the same way he was stashed on Tatooine.

That would explain her almost instant connection with Han, but also why neither Han nor Leia put it together that she was their daughter. It would also help explain why the Force came naturally to her at the end of TFA and helps explain the title.

I don't like the idea of her being Luke's daughter because that means Leia's son is bad and Luke's daughter is good. But everything in the past has led us to think if either of them had dark-side tendencies, it was Luke, not Leia.

Just my two cents...
Flashdiaz
AG
jackie childs said:

The Force was strong in Ben, so they sent him to Luke to train. But then Rey is born and it's even stronger in her. I can see a scene where she's a baby in her crib and Han and Leia go check on her and everything in the room is just floating all around her. They wind up sending her to Luke at an even younger age than Ben.

That's what causes Ben to get all pissy because little sister is getting all the attention. He eventually snaps and kills everyone. Luke escapes with Rey, but lets everyone (including Ben, Han and Leia) that Rey dies. He stashes her on Jakku the same way he was stashed on Tatooine.

That would explain her almost instant connection with Han, but also why neither Han nor Leia put it together that she was their daughter. It would also help explain why the Force came naturally to her at the end of TFA and helps explain the title.

I don't like the idea of her being Luke's daughter because that means Leia's son is bad and Luke's daughter is good. But everything in the past has led us to think if either of them had dark-side tendencies, it was Luke, not Leia.

Just my two cents...

like it but I just can't get past Luke leaving a child with Unkar Plutt
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Flashdiaz said:

jackie childs said:

Just my two cents...

read that other theory.....the lightsaber theory.

she wasn't left with Unkar. Unkar was the cover.

Lor San Tekka was in the nearby village of the Church of the Force.

He was her watcher. San Tekka obviously knew Ben (he said how he was looking old), he likely knew Luke and Leia too - he was involved and interested in getting Luke's location and giving it to Leia.

Just like Luke was not left with Obi-Wan, Rey was not left with Lor San Teka directly.

Yes there is that forcevision shot of Rey yelling and obviously Unkar saying quiet girl....but you only see the arm holding her from Unkar. My bet is unshown on the other side of Unkar was Lor San Tekka who threatened Unkar with keeping her safe and he would be available should danger arrive - only he was killed BEFORE that happened. He kept her relatively safe and obscure while she scrapped for a living. He actually kept her from being able to leave by giving her so little she could not save enough to leave. If he was only there briefly Rey may not even remember him from that age.

This is all we see.....you cannot definitely say Unkar was the only person there. It was shown that way for a reason.

Flashdiaz
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

Flashdiaz said:

jackie childs said:

Just my two cents...

read that other theory.....the lightsaber theory.

she wasn't left with Unkar. Unkar was the cover.

Lor San Tekka was in the nearby village of the Church of the Force.

He was her watcher. San Tekka obviously knew Ben (he said how he was looking old), he likely knew Luke and Leia too - he was involved and interested in getting Luke's location and giving it to Leia.

Just like Luke was not left with Obi-Wan, Rey was not left with Lor San Teka directly.

Yes there is that forcevision shot of Rey yelling and obviously Unkar saying quiet girl....but you only see the arm holding her from Unkar. My bet is unshown on the other side of Unkar was Lor San Tekka who threatened Unkar with keeping her safe and he would be available should danger arrive - only he was killed BEFORE that happened. He kept her relatively safe and obscure while she scrapped for a living. He actually kept her from being able to leave by giving her so little she could not save enough to leave. If he was only there briefly Rey may not even remember him from that age.

This is all we see.....you cannot definitely say Unkar was the only person there. It was shown that way for a reason.

or maybe Lor San Teka used to be fat with a fat voice...

jk, you're theory sounds plausible.
bangobango
AG
jackie childs said:

Just my two cents...

They why is Kylo so eager to train her when he sees how strong she is. I also do not think you have with Han and then kill him off before he realizes it is his daughter. That is too much meladrama to just piss away without some setup. Doubly bad now that Fisher has passed away.
Ag Since 83
AG
Bloodline makes that theory pretty implausible. Leia only thinks about her family being Luke, Han, and Ben, and it's before Ben turns (and Rey would be 13 or so at the time)
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
jackie childs said:

Just my two cents...

Gotta disagree.

Han clearly knew who she was. Not at first but later and it wasn't the kind of realization like oh hey she is my daughter.

The proof is on film. At the scene in Maz Kantana's bar or whatever there is a point where Maz asks Han "Who's the girl?" and it conveniently cuts away.... but the very next scene with Rey in the cellar the locked doors magically open for her and she finds the lightsaber and then has the vision and Maz shows up to tell her that the lightsaber (Luke's) calls to her...then she specifically says Han told her who she was and she proceeds to tell her what she is waiting for on Jakku is never coming back.

It is clear from this exchange

1. Han knows who she is - more than just a scavenger from Jakku - enough to entrust her with Luke's lightsber.
2. Maz knows about where she is from and that her parents are not returning - the only way she knows this is if Han knew it and told her.
3. Rey has some connection to Luke - cuz the lightsaber showed her the vision

They were intentionally obtuse about what Han told Maz and the way they present it could lead you to believe he simply told Maz she was a scavenger from Jakku and waiting for her family to return there.

But in reality Han realized exactly who she was, thats why Maz let her see/touch Luke's weapon and implores her to take it. She isn't going to give it to some random person.

Her connection to Luke though is not familial, nor is it to Han. Maz specifically said those who she was waiting for (her parents) are never coming back. She knows this because she knows who she is through Han. And she knows her parents are dead. But she doesn't want to tell her that outright. And that obviously means neither Han nor Luke are her parents (and hence not Leia either). And it goes further even when she says but there is another who can come back - meaning Luke.

She was very young when left on Jakku and only remembers the ship going away. It likely wasn't her parents who left her but she has manifested the ship leaving as a symbol of her parents leaving. Luke knows her (I think clearly from what Maz said, the fact that Leia sends her to him, the look at the end, etc.) and knows her parents are dead. Likely they were Jedi training with him and killed (probably the dead Jedi shown in her force vision killed by Kylo). So Luke knows her, knows the force is strong in her as her parents were both Jedi and Han and Leia knew who she was as well but wouldn't recognize her at first (as they would their own child).

Urban Ag
AG
I'll be shocked if the story isn't pretty darn close to this theory. Well done.

Kylo turns against Luke, Knights of Ren destroy Jedi academy and slaughter the students.
Luke is not there when it happens, returns to find temple destroyed, everyone dead.
Luke hides Rey on Jakku.
Lor San Tekka is charged with watching over Rey.
Luke leaves map with Lor San Tekka
Luke goes in to excile

None of that explains where Rey came from or who her parents are. I'm still 50/50 prognosticating that Rey is not the offspring of any of the canon characters. She's just Rey.

bobinator
AG
I hope we never find out who Rey's parents are, and I actually think that's central to one of the possible themes of the new trilogy in that you don't have to be born important to be important. It's not where you come from, it's where you're going. That type of thing. We also don't know anything about how Poe or Finn grew up either really.

If there's some sort of epic twist around Rey's lineage I think I'll probably be a little annoyed.
Urban Ag
AG
Not to be overly nerdy but the new canon books provide background on Poe, his parents were part of the Rebellion and apparently he was conceived via celebratory banging following Death Star 2's destruction.

bobinator
AG
Well, I sort of meant to the movie only audience. I wouldn't mind some sort of book or something about her parents or whatever. I just think it's going to seem overly contrived if she's the daughter of one of the core characters.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Another thing: when Kylo invades her memories how does she know about the island on the water planet before going there?
Ag Since 83
AG
She's Dr. Manhattan. Tachyons!
Flashdiaz
AG
SpreadsheetAg said:

Another thing: when Kylo invades her memories how does she know about the island on the water planet before going there?
the force sometimes shows visions of the future.
wcb
AG

Quote:

At the scene in Maz Kantana's bar or whatever there is a point where Maz asks Han "Who's the girl?" and it conveniently cuts away....
That's what got me thinking in my previous post. Agree 100%.

Han knows who she is.
Leia does not.
Kylo does not.
Luke does.

So maybe Han had a little too much at the cantina one night...winds up with a daughter...hides her from Leia with Luke...who hides her and a map with Lor San Tekka.

jackie childs
Zombie Jon Snow said:

Gotta disagree.

Han clearly knew who she was. Not at first but later and it wasn't the kind of realization like oh hey she is my daughter.

The proof is on film. At the scene in Maz Kantana's bar or whatever there is a point where Maz asks Han "Who's the girl?" and it conveniently cuts away.... but the very next scene with Rey in the cellar the locked doors magically open for her and she finds the lightsaber and then has the vision and Maz shows up to tell her that the lightsaber (Luke's) calls to her...then she specifically says Han told her who she was and she proceeds to tell her what she is waiting for on Jakku is never coming back.

It is clear from this exchange

1. Han knows who she is - more than just a scavenger from Jakku - enough to entrust her with Luke's lightsber.
2. Maz knows about where she is from and that her parents are not returning - the only way she knows this is if Han knew it and told her.
3. Rey has some connection to Luke - cuz the lightsaber showed her the vision

They were intentionally obtuse about what Han told Maz and the way they present it could lead you to believe he simply told Maz she was a scavenger from Jakku and waiting for her family to return there.

But in reality Han realized exactly who she was, thats why Maz let her see/touch Luke's weapon and implores her to take it. She isn't going to give it to some random person.

Her connection to Luke though is not familial, nor is it to Han. Maz specifically said those who she was waiting for (her parents) are never coming back. She knows this because she knows who she is through Han. And she knows her parents are dead. But she doesn't want to tell her that outright. And that obviously means neither Han nor Luke are her parents (and hence not Leia either). And it goes further even when she says but there is another who can come back - meaning Luke.

She was very young when left on Jakku and only remembers the ship going away. It likely wasn't her parents who left her but she has manifested the ship leaving as a symbol of her parents leaving. Luke knows her (I think clearly from what Maz said, the fact that Leia sends her to him, the look at the end, etc.) and knows her parents are dead. Likely they were Jedi training with him and killed (probably the dead Jedi shown in her force vision killed by Kylo). So Luke knows her, knows the force is strong in her as her parents were both Jedi and Han and Leia knew who she was as well but wouldn't recognize her at first (as they would their own child).

Very interesting. I never really entertained the idea that Rey isn't a Skywalker, mostly because of Kathleen Kennedy's comments about the new movies continuing the generational story of the Skywalker family. I just assumed that meant for good, but I guess they could accomplish that with Kylo only.

Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Quote:

She's just Rey
Oh no, not the midichlorians again.
TCTTS
AG
I'll say this... this thread has definitely convinced me that Rey could have plausibly been with left on Jakku with Unkar Plutt, but with Lor San Tekka as her true protector, watching over her from afar. I had never considered that prior, and I'm all in on that theory. It just makes too much sense. In fact, I bet we even see either a de-aged Max von Sydow again - or a younger actor playing the character - in some kind of brief flashback in TLJ with Luke, working out the arrangement or something. Or, at the very least, Luke references Lor to Rey.

But I'm not quite yet buying that Han knew who Rey was or that she's a Solo.

Remember, it's already been reported via footage shown at an event to shareholders that some of Luke's first words to Rey are, "Who are you?" And you would think that he would at least have an idea through the force or something. So I find it hard to believe that Luke doesn't immediately know who Rey is, yet Han somehow pieces it together on their brief trip to Takodana, based on almost zero context clues.

The convo Han had with Maz could have easily just been something like...

Maz: "Who's the girl?"

Han: "A loner I picked up near Jakku. She and the boy are on the run from The First Order. And that droid of hers? He has a map to Luke Skywalker..."

Then maybe it's Maz who pieces it together/senses something. Or she just goes down to the basement to look for Rey, knowing she has the map to Luke, senses that she's overwhelmed, and sees that the lightsaber is "calling out to her." None of that has to imply that either Maz or Han know who Rey is.

I'm not saying it's not possible that Han figures it out right off the bat - or that there isn't some kind of history there - I'm just saying it's not something that's "clearly" happening.

That said, I do love bobinator's theory. That would make for a really cool theme this go around. Rey's parents weren't anything special and she's not part of any kind of grand lineage. She's just a girl who happened to be strong in the force, comes from nothing, and goes on to do amazing things. Would be a great way, thematically, to elegantly put the whole Skywalker saga to rest at the end of IX as well. I'm digging it.
Legal Custodian
AG
Could Rey have been dropped off by Kylo? He was still battling with the light and dark in TFA, so maybe when him and the knights turned on everyone, he couldn't make himself kill a little girl. So he brings her to Unkar on Jakku. Luke finds out and sends San Tekka to watch over her?
TCTTS
AG
Not a bad idea, but how much older than Rey is Kylo? She was like five in that brief flashback, so I can't imagine him being older than 15 in that scenario - which, I guess, is plausible. Just seems like he might be a bit young to do something like that?

Then again, how does a 15 year old and his buddies overtake Luke at the academy? That, in and of itself, seems a little weird, assuming Kylo isn't much older than 35 or so in TFA.
Ag Since 83
AG
Kylo was born about a year after ROTJ and hadnt turned bad as of Bloodline which is like 6 years before TFA
Urban Ag
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Quote:

She's just Rey
Oh no, not the midichlorians again.
Had that thought too. If Luke explains to Rey that he found her on a backwater outer rim planet on a run down farm, living with her aunt and uncle, midichlorians off the charts, I might shoot myself in the face.
Urban Ag
AG
TCTTS said:

Not a bad idea, but how much older than Rey is Kylo? She was like five in that brief flashback, so I can't imagine him being older than 15 in that scenario - which, I guess, is plausible. Just seems like he might be a bit young to do something like that?

Then again, how does a 15 year old and his buddies overtake Luke at the academy? That, in and of itself, seems a little weird, assuming Kylo isn't much older than 35 or so in TFA.
I don't think Luke is there at the time the Knights of Ren attacked the academy. From the flashback footage it seems like he returns after the carnage was done.

We also don't know much about the Knights of Ren yet anyway, maybe they are super bad asses.

Also, in TLJ trailer, there is brief glimpse of Phasma with Stormtroopers in a scene that looks very much like flashback scene from TFA. I'm thinking Kylo and the Knights of Ren were augmented by Phasma and company of Stormtroopers when they attacked the acedemy/jedi temple.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.