*** STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI ***

377,068 Views | 2709 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Ark03
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
With Celebration Orlando starting this Thursday (through Sunday), and the first teaser trailer likely premiering on Friday, we figured it was time to finally spin off a solo thread for The Last Jedi. And while this is NOT a spoiler thread, things like trailer descriptions (before a trailer hits) and very general plot speculation are fair game. That said, any plot specifics outside of the broadest strokes of the movie should come with spoiler tags, and let's try to keep even that kind of stuff to a minimum.

As for the impending trailer itself, nothing has been officially confirmed yet, but the Celebration panel in which it is rumored to debut will take place this Friday the 14th from 10:00 AM to 11:30 CST. The panel will likely be streamed online and will include headlining appearances from Lucasfilm President Kathleen Kennedy and writer/director Rian Johnson, along with "plenty of surprises and special guests." Again, a trailer is not guaranteed - and even if one does premiere, there's a small chance it could be for attendees only - but I just don't see that happening. And while there are some rumors that all we're getting is a behind-the-scenes featurette, most signs point to a trailer debuting publicly as well. I just want to warn everyone in case, for some insane reason, Lucasfilm has decided to hold off even longer.

Other than that, my guess is that the marketing schedule will roughly follow that of Rogue One...

- Teaser Trailer online in mid-April (and then in theaters with Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 the first week of May)
- Second Trailer potentially at D23 on July 14, but likely later in August
- Final Trailer at some point in October

... though I could see them completely skipping a second trailer for this one and just doing one in April and one in October. Time will tell.

All I know is that I'm beyond ready to see the first footage from what could very well be, with Johnson not only at the helm but writing as well, a step up from The Force Awakens in so many ways...

TCTTS
AG
As for broad strokes plot discussion/speculation, this is really all anyone knows at this point...

- This will be the first Star Wars movie to pick up directly where the last one left off, with no time having taken place between movies (in this instance, picking up with Rey handing Luke the lightsaber, though there's no guarantee that's necessarily the first scene).

- The look is said to be a mix of the prequels (sometimes sleek, sometimes lavish, ornate designs) with Game of Thrones. In other words, think more medieval space rather than sci-fi space, though I'm sure there will still be plenty of the later.

- At least some of REY's arc will obviously be spent training with Luke on Skellig Island (aka "Ahch-To").

- At least some of FINN's arc will apparently be spent posing as an undercover officer for The First Order.

- At least some of POE's arc will apparently be spent caught up in some kind of political turmoil between General Leia and whoever Laura Dern's character is playing or representing (potentially some kind of Hunger Games-esque aristocrats).

- At least some of KYLO REN's arc will obviously be spent chasing down Rey and Luke. A visit to Vader's fortress on Mustafar is said to likely be in the cards as well.

- SUPREME LEADER SNOKE will finally be seen in-the-flesh, quite literally, as he will apparently not be CGI this go-around, but rather a puppet/animatronic/prosthetic (it's not clear exactly which yet).

- CAPTAIN PHASMA is back and will have a somewhat larger role than in the last one.

- LUKE and LEIA will apparently have at least one scene together.

Sure, there are a few other details, characters, and locations semi-known at this point, but honestly, it's pretty shocking how little anyone knows about the movie right now, compared to the last one, so relatively late in the game. I'm sure that will change after this week, but it's honestly pretty refreshing.
Post removed:
by user
TCTTS
AG
Sure thing.

Was BB-8 with Rey at the end? Or was that R2-D2? I feel like it was Chewie and a droid standing outside the Falcon as Rey ascended the island steps, but I can't remember for sure. Just wondering who BB-8 will be with when this thing kicks off.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Quote:

- At least some of KYLO REN's arc will be spent chasing down Rey and Luke. A visit to Vader's fortress on Mustafar is said to likely be in the cards as well.
I think this is a big possibility seeing as how his fortress was finally shown on the big screen just a few months ago in Rogue One. It's still fresh in people's minds and will not be confusing to the casual fan now.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Pretty sure it was R2 with Chewie after they landed at Achto.
TCTTS
AG
Gotcha, thanks. So I assume BB-8 is still back with Poe.
jeffk
AG
In
Duncan Idaho
every time i see footage of the new movies shooting on location and not against a green screen, I get a little more pissed about the prequels and want to go kick lucas in the nuts.
imjustsayin
Brandamne
Hurry up Friday!
AgMarauder04
AG
Dern has got to be playing some Republic Senator or leader off site when the statkiller hit the system
TCTTS
AG
That seems to be the general theory/rumor. But there's also apparently some kind of high-society aristocratic group or something, and she may or may not be a part of that. I wonder if, in the vacuum of power, the next in line / temporary governing body is whatever system/group she's a part of? And not only that, but it sounds like it could be a group that's somewhat at odds with Leia/the Resistance.
TCTTS
AG
jabberwalkie09
AG
It can't come soon enough.
jr15aggie
AG
jabberwalkie09 said:

That's what she said
AliasMan02
AG
TCTTS said:

That seems to be the general theory/rumor. But there's also apparently some kind of high-society aristocratic group or something, and she may or may not be a part of that. I wonder if, in the vacuum of power, the next in line / temporary governing body is whatever system/group she's a part of? And not only that, but it sounds like it could be a group that's somewhat at odds with Leia/the Resistance.

We know that there was a large portion of the Republic that was in denial about the First Order. At one point the was a large portion actually supporting the First Order in secret, but we don't know if they are still in the Senate or if they left.

I'd guess that many want to blame the Resistance for antagonizing the FO.
SeattleAgJr
jr15aggie said:

jabberwalkie09 said:

That's what she said
What happens if it gets force choked?!?!?!?!?!
SeattleAgJr
So how many "Jedi" (or Jedi-light) are alive or potentially alive..... that fit the description

• Luke
  • Rey
  • Kylo
  • Ezra
  • Kanan
  • Ahsoka
Urban Ag
AG
Going to call my shot now.

Rey will become the last Jedi.

Luke, at least at room temp, won't survive TLJ.

SeattleAgJr
I am going with Luke lives until the end.

No need to Force Ghost him to serve the story.

He was already the "Last Jedi" from the last trilogy. No need to repeat that story beat (in spite of them repeating so many).
AgMarauder04
AG
That makes sense, and even so, from TFA, there wasn't a clear connection between the Resistance and the Republic...almost as if the Resistance had broken off from the Republic and wasn't endorsed.
jr15aggie
AG
It feels like people are over thinking the title. We can't forget that 90% of the audience are casual fans and they can't get too out there with twists, etc.

Luke is the last Jedi. There are other force users, sure, but the Jedi are 1 guy away from being extinct. He is TLJ right now. We know this already.
AliasMan02
AG
jr15aggie said:

It feels like people are over thinking the title. We can't forget that 90% of the audience are casual fans and they can't get too out there with twists, etc.

Luke is the last Jedi. There are other force users, sure, but the Jedi are 1 guy away from being extinct. He is TLJ right now. We know this already.

Except that we know that Jedi is this case is plural, though
wangus12
AG
Urban Ag said:

Luke is supposed to be a mythical warrior at this point. If they kill him off, it better be in a 1v10 fight against KR and the KoR with him taking almost all of them out. Only then is it acceptable
BMX Bandit
wangus12 said:

Urban Ag said:

Luke is supposed to be a mythical warrior at this point. If they kill him off, it better be in a 1v10 fight against KR and the KoR with him taking almost all of them out. Only then is it acceptable

Only other acceptable death wouid be Kylo having the high ground
The Collective
AG
I'm not going to be able to deal with a Luke death... I hope it doesn't happen.
Micah97
AG
I agree. I'm hoping he survives this trigolgy. I really wanted to see him start the next Jedi schoool. I know it's in the back story of the current story, but I really want to see him establish a legacy.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Will this trailer break the youtube record for views?

I feel like that record is being continually broken these days. I think I heard that the new It trailer currently holds the record for 24 hours?
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
wangus12 said:

Urban Ag said:

It will be Luke and Rey against like several hundred or so. Luke sacrifices himself to save Rey.
The Collective
AG
I'm not sure. I think there might actually be enough Star Wars confusion over trilogy vs. SW story that it might take a bit of time to build up the view count.
RebAg13
AG
In.
AverageJones
512Ag
AG
Put me down on the "hope Luke lives" category.
cr0wbar

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.