Free tech

452,573 Views | 2581 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by tfunk02
pnut02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
I hope i can try out one of ya'lls fancy routers next. I am trying to get way from the apple time capsule.
Same here, but I'll take this NAS!
JonLobb
in other news. i can access ReadyCloud through the firewall at work!

muahahahahaha
Ark03
AG
quote:
quote:
I hope i can try out one of ya'lls fancy routers next. I am trying to get way from the apple time capsule.
I bought a Nighthawk R7000

it is baaaaaaaaad.....ASS

Love my Nighthawk R7000 - a huge step up from the Verizon POS it replaced.
Aggietaco
AG
Only downside for me so far is that it's about .25" too tall to fit in my console next to the rest of the networking gear. Will have to run some cat5e to the study for a permanent location.
Ark03
AG
quote:
Only downside for me so far is that it's about .25" too tall to fit in my console next to the rest of the networking gear. Will have to run some cat5e to the study for a permanent location.

Can you take the feet off?
Aggietaco
AG
Even if the feet were removable it would still be too tall, plus a space that tight may lead to heat issues anyway.
Josepi
AG
Received my NAS this afternoon. Looking forward to setting it up this evening.

William - I really appreciate you bringing this deal to Texags. It will be a lot of fun for a lot of us, and I hope the feedback you receive is valuable. Thanks again.
Trek Strategy
Sponsor
AG
You guys are all welcome. I wanted to share one last piece of info that you all will be proud of, considering Aggies' general desire to dominate all things internet. Texags participation of 90+ people in our F&F program now constitutes half of our entire participant list. And due to some growing grumbling internally about the lack of contact we can have with the amazon vine program, some people are starting to consider going heavier in the F&F program. Good news for Texags. I'm not making any promises, but I think that we should keep this under our hats and slow down the growth of the list so that there's more to go around for the select few.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
quote:
I'm not making any promises, but I think that we should keep this under our hats and slow down the growth of the list so that there's more to go around for the select few.

Selfishly, I'd be okay with this.

It's probably already been discussed but does anyone have a rec for a new router? I've got an old WRT54G that is starting to show its age. Looks like Nighthawk R7000 is well reviewed.
I also have an old Linksys CM100 modem. If I upgraded it to one that is Docsis 3.0, would I see any noticeable improvement of my internet speeds or reliability?

ETA: hah, should have read the few posts above me. R700 it is.
AggieBusDriver
AG
Selfishly yeah I'd like to keep the pool low. This NAS so far is pretty great. I'm planning on writing up my review in the next few days. Only a few minor things that I think can be improved for the overall experience.

And yes, thanks again for bringing this to TexAgs.
ExPLK
AG
Really hoping to get selected for the next offering.
JonLobb
quote:
quote:
I'm not making any promises, but I think that we should keep this under our hats and slow down the growth of the list so that there's more to go around for the select few.

Selfishly, I'd be okay with this.

It's probably already been discussed but does anyone have a rec for a new router? I've got an old WRT54G that is starting to show its age. Looks like Nighthawk R7000 is well reviewed.
I also have an old Linksys CM100 modem. If I upgraded it to one that is Docsis 3.0, would I see any noticeable improvement of my internet speeds or reliability?

ETA: hah, should have read the few posts above me. R700 it is.
yeah, you definitely won't regret it. My network speed and stability took a monumental jump when upgrading to the R7000, and it wasn't nearly as big a leap as yours.
Trek Strategy
Sponsor
AG
The R7000 is going to significantly boost your wireless and wired speeds into the home, but you need to upgrade the modem to get an increase in the speeds going into your router. There are basically three components to network speed in the home A) what speed you are buying from your ISP - could be 1.5mbps all the way up to 100mbps B) the speed of your modem and C) the speed of your router

If you are getting at least 10mbps from the ISP, I suggest looking at Docsis 3.0. almost all ISP's are going to force the Docsis 3.0 upgrade soon, and some are already making it a requirement

Even within Docsis 3.0, there are multiple flavors of speed and it all has to do with channel bonding
  • 4x4 modems give you 172 mbps total download speed across four channels, like the Moto SB6121
  • 8x4 modems give you 343 mbps total download speed across eight channels, like the Moto SB6141
  • 16x4 modems give you 686 mbps total download speed across sixteen channels, like the Moto SB6183
  • Finally, there are a few 24x4 modems coming to the market later, and those are ludicrous
8x4 gives you the best value for your money right now, but to future proof your network, take a look at the 16x4
Aggietaco
AG
The only thing keeping me from the R7000 is the horizontal layout.
adamsbq06
AG
I am intrigued by the R800... maybe we can test and review those next
BEaggie08
AG
quote:
I am intrigued by the R8000... maybe we can test and review those next
Yes please!
Mike92
AG
I went and checked my email after seeing this thread again. I received an email for the NAS but it was in my Junk folder and I didn't notice it. I replied today, but I assume someone else was able to take my place since everyone has already received them. Major fail on my part.
BEaggie08
AG
Don't sweat it Mike. Some of us replied right away and weren't selected.
Mike92
AG
Thanks. It helps to know I didn't miss out on a sure thing.
ABKitch
AG
I have a question...for anyone who is using the NAS and Plex to set up a home media server...

Can you explain to me what steps I need to take to be able to access my media from outside of my home network?

• I have DSL through Century Link (and a changing/dynamic IP address if that matters)
  • DSL Modem is an Actiontec GT701 (modem only, not capable of routing)
  • Wireless Router is a WD MyNet N900

I've read a little about this stuff recently because I was trying to get a new IP camera set up, and never could figure out how to access it from
outside the home network. I assume once I get one of these working (IP
camera or Plex) that the other should work too.

Specifically, I'm curious with my setup if I should have a firewall turned on for both the modem AND the router?... And setting up port-forwarding...again, through my wireless router, through the modem, or both? Also any tips on the dynamic IP address (vs. static)?
pnut02
AG
quote:
I have a question...for anyone who is using the NAS and Plex to set up a home media server...

Can you explain to me what steps I need to take to be able to access my media from outside of my home network?

• I have DSL through Century Link (and a changing/dynamic IP address if that matters)
  • DSL Modem is an Actiontec GT701 (modem only, not capable of routing)
  • Wireless Router is a WD MyNet N900

I've read a little about this stuff recently because I was trying to get a new IP camera set up, and never could figure out how to access it from

Specifically, I'm curious with my setup if I should have a firewall turned on for both the modem AND the router?... And setting up port-forwarding...again, through my wireless router, through the modem, or both? Also any tips on the dynamic IP address (vs. static)?
It looks like your modem only has one port on the back, so I'm assuming your router WAN port is plugged into the single port on the modem. It is possible to run firewalls on both devices, but it adds complexity to opening ports. My suggestion is to put the router in the DMZ on the modem (or you can disable the firewall on the modem completely). Then use the router as the primary (and only) firewall, opening ports as needed. You will need to make sure the router has DHCP turned on for your LAN, and I would suggest adding a reserved IP for the NAS (and IP camera) using the MAC address. Then configure port forwarding (I'm not sure of the ports required for Plex).
Ark03
AG
I went by Fry's to take a look at the WD Red drives (to match the one that came in the NAS), but they didn't have the Red model that came with the NAS (WD10EFRX). They said there was a new version of the Red NAS drives that they now carried.

Does anyone have experience with this newish version from WD? Even though they've been out at least a year, I'm finding very few meaningful reviews (none on Newegg), and not many good comparisons out there.

Model is WDBMMA0010HNC for the new 1 TB version.

Here's the link on the WD store: http://store.westerndigital.com/store/wdus/en_US/DisplayAccesoryProductDetailsPage/ThemeID.21986300/productID.283035400

The specs look identical - so can these be mixed/matched in a RAID 5 configuration?

The 'old' version of WD10EFX is $10 cheaper on Amazon. However, if the new ones are that much better, I may just shell out more money for the new version, and step up a size or two while I'm at it.
JonLobb
quote:
I went by Fry's to take a look at the WD Red drives (to match the one that came in the NAS), but they didn't have the Red model that came with the NAS (WD10EFRX). They said there was a new version of the Red NAS drives that they now carried.

Does anyone have experience with this newish version from WD? Even though they've been out at least a year, I'm finding very few meaningful reviews (none on Newegg), and not many good comparisons out there.

Model is WDBMMA0010HNC for the new 1 TB version.

Here's the link on the WD store: http://store.westerndigital.com/store/wdus/en_US/DisplayAccesoryProductDetailsPage/ThemeID.21986300/productID.283035400

The specs look identical - so can these be mixed/matched in a RAID 5 configuration?

The 'old' version of WD10EFX is $10 cheaper on Amazon. However, if the new ones are that much better, I may just shell out more money for the new version, and step up a size or two while I'm at it.
I think he's got it backwards. The WD10EFX is the NASware 2.0 version of their Red drive. The WDBMMA0010HNC is the NASware (1.0) version, which is now outdated.

I encountered this problem at Fry's as well. they had lots of the older version (in the orange and grey box) and none of the new version (which comes in a blue box)
Ark03
AG
Thanks for the info!
nwspmp
quote:

I have DSL through Century Link (and a changing/dynamic IP address if that matters)
DSL Modem is an Actiontec GT701 (modem only, not capable of routing)
Wireless Router is a WD MyNet N900

For what it's worth, with regards to Plex, once you've setup the server internally, you can link it to your Plex.tv account. The basic account is free.

Go to http://(internal_server_IP):32400/web Once logged in, you can set it up to Connect to Plex.

Once you've done that, from anywhere you should be able to go to plex.tv, login with your Plex.tv account and see your server and launch the Web interface, which allows for media viewing, etc...

I don't recall having to open any ports on my firewall at home, but will verify tonight (setting up my new SRX240 anyway...)

If you did have to open a port, it should be the above, 32400.
flintdragon
AG
I've barely tested out Plex on the NAS but I can't seem to play any videos from channels like CBS.

I get the error message that reads something like: HTML5 requires a certain version of plex. I'm using the lastest Chrome browser.

As far as I know, the plex server version is latest for this particular NAS so I can't test it at all...
wee_ag
AG
Just got an email to test a cable modem! Unfortunately it requires Comcast XFINITY or Time Warner Cable. So no dice on this one. Maybe next time... still bummed I missed the NAS
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
quote:
Just got an email to test a cable modem! Unfortunately it requires Comcast XFINITY or Time Warner Cable. So no dice on this one. Maybe next time... still bummed I missed the NAS
Send it my way! (See post above)
Aggietaco
AG
Which modem was it? I don't think I checked that box on the survey since I just bought the SB6141 a few months back.
Scooley01
AG
I checked every box and did not get an email. Maybe it just hasn't come yet?
TracerX
Darn. I would've given the modem a shot but I'm on Suddenlink.
kb2001
AG
I also got the same errors for plex when trying to watch through the browser. The server version is 0.9.7.xx, but HTML5 streaming wasn't supported until 0.9.8.6.xx
tomtomdrumdrum
AG
Just got a notification from FedEx for my Nighthawk router! Pretty pumped!
92_Ag
AG
Any chance to modify the survey once it's submitted? I may want to opt in to something I probably didn't originally select.
wee_ag
AG
quote:
quote:
Send it my way! (See post above)
Is this allowed?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.