Free tech

452,365 Views | 2581 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by tfunk02
n_touch
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Great information. Thanks for all of the help. I am going to go with the three additional 1 tb drives then. Does it matter if you start putting information on the system before you add the additional drives and set it up as a raid? Or do they have to all be empty drives?
JonLobb
quote:
Great information. Thanks for all of the help. I am going to go with the three additional 1 tb drives then. Does it matter if you start putting information on the system before you add the additional drives and set it up as a raid? Or do they have to all be empty drives?
they have to be empty. Building the RAID will format all of the drives.

Will you do us all a HUGE favor once you get done and test the r/w speed?

You can use a tool like CrystalDiskMark
AggieBusDriver
AG
quote:
quote:
they have to be empty. Building the RAID will format all of the drives.

You can use a tool like CrystalDiskMark

If you keep this NAS as X-RAID (which it it out of the box) it will automatically initialize the new disks as you put them in the bay even with data on the other drive. I added a single additional 1TB drive with data already on the drive and it initialized and had it usable as its consistency drive a few hours later. Based on what I read it will auto grow without the need to have an empty drive.
n_touch
Sorry for all of the questions, and I thank you for all of the help. Do all of the drives have to be the exact same drives? For instance can I use the drive that came with it and mix it with this drive and still use the raid set up?

Original Drive

Replacement Drive

The specs look the same to me, I was just unsure if they needed to be identical.
JonLobb
quote:
Sorry for all of the questions, and I thank you for all of the help. Do all of the drives have to be the exact same drives? For instance can I use the drive that came with it and mix it with this drive and still use the raid set up?

Original Drive

Replacement Drive

The specs look the same to me, I was just unsure if they needed to be identical.

those drives are 2 different speeds. the included drive is a 7200RPM drive, with a read speed of 150MB/s, the replacement you're looking at, which is an older version of the same drive, is a 5400RPM drive with a read speed of IIRC 128MB/s

Your RAID will only be as big as the smallest drive and as fast as the slowest drive.

Fortunately, the newer version is actually cheaper right now

http://www.amazon.com/WD-Red-NAS-Hard-Drive/dp/B008JJLXO6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1412348342&sr=8-1&keywords=WD10EFRX
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Seems like the better deal would be to buy 2 of the 2 TB drives at $98 EA than it would be to buy 3 of the 1 TB drives. Both total to $196.

Then you could sell the 1 TB that came with the NAS.

Edit: I guess you'd have a little less redundancy though.
JonLobb
the best deal TB/$ is the 3TB for $121.99 at NewEgg
pnut02
AG
Ran across this on Engadget; very slick looking... Netgear is starting to surprise me

BEaggie08
AG
That thing (^^^) is slick. I'll settle for the free R7500 though.
Aggietaco
AG
Our definitions of slick must be different. I would have nightmares of that thing coming to life and crawling to my bedroom to kill me in my sleep.
Trek Strategy
Sponsor
AG
The Terminator function on the R8000 has been turned off.
Trek Strategy - Every Journey Needs a Guide
pnut02
AG
William, I owe you a beer
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
We all owe him a beer.

Got an email to test a modem... Great timing!
pnut02
AG
Same here - would be a nice upgrade to my old Linksys DOCSIS 2
dubi
AG
I got the router email, but sadly I have Suddenlink!
Aggietaco
AG
C'mon modem e-mail!
JonLobb
I have uverse, so no modem here.

But what I really would like to test is their WiDi device, range extenders, and AC wifi adapters
AggieBusDriver
AG
quote:
C'mon modem e-mail!
+1 ... I hate my Time Warner Cable modem
Ark03
AG
quote:

With one drive, I wrote down Read: 11.46 Write: 11.47 (Seq test in CrystalMark). Similar results in IOMeter.

Then, I built a RAID5 using xraid and three red WD drives. I expected better, but I've not tested a NAS before - is there a better way to test the I/O, or is this really indicative of what I've got? Does something look wrong to you guys? I've got the NAS plugged into a Nighthawk R7000.

JonLobb
quote:
quote:

With one drive, I wrote down Read: 11.46 Write: 11.47 (Seq test in CrystalMark). Similar results in IOMeter.

Then, I built a RAID5 using xraid and three red WD drives. I expected better, but I've not tested a NAS before - is there a better way to test the I/O, or is this really indicative of what I've got? Does something look wrong to you guys? I've got the NAS plugged into a Nighthawk R7000.

yeah, it looks like something is bottle necking. I got better numbers than that with just the 1TB drive.

It's has been pretty variable though. I've tested it several times, and it seems like i get about 30MB/s about half the time and <10MB/s the other half. Haven't figured out yet what the difference is.
Ark03
AG
Did a few tweaks and am now getting better results. What are you getting with one drive?

JonLobb
quote:
Did a few tweaks and am now getting better results. What are you getting with one drive?

what tweeks did you make? This is with 1 drive

Ark03
AG
quote:
what tweaks did you make?

Actually, not much on the NAS. Turned off antivirus, continuous protection (under folder settings), and the Snapshot access.

What made the bigger difference was either updating the firmware on the router, or plugging the NAS directly into my Nighthawk router. I had it plugged into the crap Verizon router I have to use as a bridge to get the guide.

Since my computers and the rest of my network run through the Nighthawk router, there must have been a bottleneck somewhere in that connection when I put the NAS on my other router.

DLNA streaming runs well to my TV, and I've currently got Genie Timeline running it's first backup. Does anyone have experience with that or another good backup software? I've used the Seagate backup software for a long time on a 2TB external drive which I'm now retiring, so I'm not up to date on what else is out there.
Jason_Ag98
AG
I got my Nighthawk R7500 installed tonight and it seems to be working fine. Does anyone know if I need to change any settings on my U-verse wireless router? I'm not sure if I need to put it into bridge mode or something similar to get the best performance or not.
rllguitar
AG
Got my r7500 installed tonight as well behind my uverse modem. Only thing I did was manually disable wireless on the uverse modem. Already a noticeable improvement in performance on my home network!
irock2513
AG
quote:
Got my r7500 installed tonight as well behind my uverse modem. Only thing I did was manually disable wireless on the uverse modem. Already a noticeable improvement in performance on my home network!

so jealous- I've been looking at the Nighthawk line for a few months. I have an older Netgear N router that is plagued with issues. Keep us posted on how you like it!
BEaggie08
AG
I replaced a Netgear R6300 with the 7500. The 6300 was a little flaky sometimes, but it was serviceable. So far, the 7500 is smooth and trouble free.
JonLobb
I've had my R7000 operational for about 2 weeks now. I had to reboot it once a few days ago, not sure why.
Lobster Twins
AG
So....if my Western Digital drive in my NAS were to be deemed faulty by NETGEAR customer support can I request a replacement through this program somehow? Should I try to replace through Western Digital? Am I out out of luck? Customer support was logged into my system all weekend and just sent me an e-mail telling me to replace it. I've e-mailed the assigned technical contact and no response.

So hard to complain about something free.
Scooley01
AG
Just got an email to test this guy!

hurricanejake02
AG
quote:

Nice! I wonder how the evaluation works on something like this that requires a monthly subscription?
Scooley01
AG
Hopefully I'll find out
Aggietaco
AG
As a daily user of Verizon LTE for my jobsite office, I would be happy to test that out, William. Wink wink.
TracerX
quote:
quote:
Nice! I wonder how the evaluation works on something like this that requires a monthly subscription?
Comes with a prepaid 5GB sim according to the signup page. I'll give it a go. I wonder how bad it'd be at tailgate since my ATT is useless...
JonLobb
I finally picked up a second 1TB WD Red NAS disk

I popped it in and the NAS is setting it up into a RAID1 configuration right now. If I've heard correctly though I have to wait until this is done, then manually switch it over to a RAID0.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.