Free tech

452,511 Views | 2581 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by tfunk02
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So is it a single drive? Wasn't sure if they'd give multiples to test out the RAID functionality.

Pumped either way.
ABKitch
AG
yes, one drive in one of the 4 bays.
Makdaddy
I got it!!! I got it!! Hookin her up tonight and transferring everything over. This will be amazing!! Can't wait for the next set of products!!
Absolute
AG
Got mine.

Now to set up and give it a go.
CrawfordAg
AG
Interested in joining the program when you are able to add new members. PM me if you need any details.
dubi
AG
HD deal at NewEgg
adamsbq06
AG
10 minute setup... currently transferring files and backing up my macbook!
n_touch
Very quick setup. Nice machine.
JonLobb
I tried to find another identical HD to the one included but could not. I visited 4 different stores with no success. So unfortunately I will not be testing the RAID at this time. :-(
n_touch
If I wanted to add another hard drive into it, does it have to be the exact hard drive, or can in be a 4gb wd drive?
adamsbq06
AG
i think it depends on what you are trying to do... dimply add space... it shouldn't matter... if you re creating a raid then you could run into some issues

adamsbq06
AG
this is what was installed in my box...http://www.amazon.com/WD-Red-NAS-Hard-Drive/dp/B008JJLW4M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1412032714&sr=8-1&keywords=wd+red+nas
92_Ag
AG
quote:
If I wanted to add another hard drive into it, does it have to be the exact hard drive, or can in be a 4gb wd drive?

I believe it supports JBOD so you can mix drives if you just want to add space. You can't RAID unless the drives are the same size.
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
Yeah, the WD Red drives are for these types of setups and you probably aren't going to find them in stores, I wouldn't expect.
n_touch
Thanks. I will probably move to 2 4gb wd drives. Anyone have any suggestions for moving info from an external over? Its an older usb drive so it seems like its taking forever.
JonLobb
quote:
Yeah, the WD Red drives are for these types of setups and you probably aren't going to find them in stores, I wouldn't expect.
Oh i found plenty of Red drive. They had them at all three stores. However, they only had them on the shelf in 2GB, 3GB, and 4GB flavors.

I'll probably just utilize the 1GB it came with for the time being until I can justify scrounging up a couple hundred for bigger drives
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
Got ya - I'm actually kind of surprised by that but it's been ages since I bought hardware in a store.
Ark03
AG
Did anyone else receive a box missing the power adapter and the ethernet cable?

I can manage without the ethernet cable, but I don't have a power adapter that will fit it.
Absolute
AG
Ark03 - Bonus!!!! you get to review CS for a incomplete package.
dubi
AG
My NAS arrived with all the accessories!
ABKitch
AG
I just ordered 3 additional 1TB Red drives from NewEgg.com... they had the exact one that came pre-loaded for $69.99, and a promo code (good through today only) for $5 off each. Total was $194.97 for 3 drives all said and done....which is a sweet deal for a NAS loaded with 4 drives!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=22-236-342

quote:

Western Digital Red NAS Hard Drive WD10EFRX 1TB IntelliPower 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

Extra savings w/ promo code 0927STRG7, ends 9/29
Ark03
AG
quote:
Yeah, funny. I hope I can get one quickly - I don't want to ding them for a missing accessory as it probably was overlooked when they opened to install the hard drive - not something in their normal process for retail items.

However, I hope I get it soon enough so I can get a timely review up so someone who doesn't know about the problem doesn't kick me out of the program for a late review.
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
quote:
quote:
Yeah, funny. I hope I can get one quickly - I don't want to ding them for a missing accessory as it probably was overlooked when they opened to install the hard drive - not something in their normal process for retail items.

However, I hope I get it soon enough so I can get a timely review up so someone who doesn't know about the problem doesn't kick me out of the program for a late review.

Just email the guy that emailed you and mention it. OP will probably help once he sees this. I'm sure they'll make sure you are taken care of.
AggieBusDriver
AG
I got mine today as well. Delivered to my house in SA even though the city was to Houston. Yay FedEx for figuring it out.

I ordered an extra 1TB Red drive from Amazon. Might order two more later on, but figured I'd at least get one now for redundancy.

So far so good, its a pretty sweet setup.
Ark03
AG
quote:
Just email the guy that emailed you and mention it. OP will probably help once he sees this. I'm sure they'll make sure you are taken care of.
Yeah, I did. Thanks. Just bummed I can't set it up, especially as I encouraged the wife to take a girls night so I'd have the evening to myself.
DB Coach
AG
William, I just got home a little while ago and saw that wonderful box waiting on me. I am absolutely pumped to get it up and running, which should be tomorrow afternoon!!! Thanks!

I'm really excited to see how well this works across platforms as well as how the mobile app performs. I have a couple PCs, pc laptop, macbook, multiple iPads and iPhones as well.
agfox06
AG
Got mine today and was excited to set it up but spent the nite dismantling it. Turns out the silica beads package ruptured in transit and I had to take the machine mostly apart to get them all out. Thought about switching out the fan while I was in there but it's slightly bigger than an 80 mm. Will setup tomorrow.
Bregxit
AG
Got mine today. I have to say I am pretty impressed so far. Setup was very easy and fast. GUI is nice. Will play with it some more tomorrow. I do wish there was a more in depth manual in the box but I see the limitation there considering updates over time.
pnut02
AG
Heh, I was thinking about the city mixup because my package did actually say Spicewood, TX (but the zip and everything else was correct). If I had to guess, it was an Excel delete a cell and shift everything up instead of deleting the entire line. I probably was next to SpicewoodAg in the list :-)

So far i like this thing - it's quiet and about 1/3 smaller than a Terastation Pro 4 bay that i have.
Trek Strategy
Sponsor
AG
For those of you who are looking for more documentation, check out this page. It houses all the feature videos, whitepapers, solution models, and apps:

http://www.netgear.com/business/products/storage/readynas/readynas-desktop.aspx#tab-overview
JonLobb
In case anybody is shopping for more hard drives I did some quick number crunching and the best value per TB is the Western Digital Red 3TB NAS drive.

Newegg has them right now for $121.99, which works out to $40.66/TB

other drives break out as follows

Size (in TB) Price Price/TB

Western Digital
1 69.99 69.99
2 99.99 49.995
3 121.99 40.66333333
4 169.99 42.4975
5 234.99 46.998
6 289.99 48.33166667

Seagate
2 99.99 49.995
3 124.99 41.66333333
4 169.99 42.4975

HGST
3 134.99 44.99666667
4 184.99 46.2475
Trek Strategy
Sponsor
AG
and if you want to go to a store because you don't like shopping on the interwebs, per WD web site, you can get the Red drives at Fry's or Microcenter.
dubi
AG
quote:
Fry's or Microcenter

Conveniently located in B/CS!

quote:
you don't like shopping on the interwebs

I think folks who are willing to configure and use a NAS probably shop on the interwebz. In fact, I wonder how many of us already have a NAS?
adamsbq06
AG
I hope i can try out one of ya'lls fancy routers next. I am trying to get way from the apple time capsule.
JonLobb
quote:
I hope i can try out one of ya'lls fancy routers next. I am trying to get way from the apple time capsule.
I bought a Nighthawk R7000

it is baaaaaaaaad.....ASS

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.