Free tech

452,353 Views | 2581 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by tfunk02
hph6203
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Roller coaster of will I or won't I get to review the NAS. Glad I'll ultimately receive one.
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
Did anyone get an actual HotSpot?

I know a few of us responded immediately, but haven't heard anything about it on here since then.

If selections have already gone out, I'll probably need to actually purchase a hotspot of my own, so I'm curious before I do that if anyone knows.
Aggie71013
AG
I'm still waiting on a hot spot notification as well.
txag2k
AG
quote:
Looks like Meng is our new friend.
Indeed!
devastor
AG
quote:
quote:
I got the e-mail for the ReadyNAS 200 (RN202) and do a bit of photography as well, using my DSLR. I'd love to test a replacement for the Drobo + PogoPlug setup I've been using, as it's been less than reliable and super slow lately...

Don't have PM unfortunately, any other way to contact?
You can share your Amazon user name if you feel like it.
Amazon name is Reuben S. I have a Canon 7D DSLR camera I would love to test with this setup
wee_ag
AG
I would very much like to meet Meng...
Trek Strategy
Sponsor
AG
Meng is your new friend, yes.

He is getting settled into Marynel's old role. You should start to see communication pick up again. the ReadyNAS 200's are going out late this week, possibly Monday. The Mobile Hotspot probably will ship next week, and you may not have received much information about that one.
khkman22
AG
Can you tell us if the NAS will come with any hard drives and what size if so? Just thought I'd be looking for specials this weekend just in case I need to purchase some or if I wanted to expand what y'all will provide.
Dro07
AG
I wanna meet Meng. Aint got nothing yet
ExPLK
AG
quote:
I would very much like to meet Meng...
Me too!
adamsbq06
AG
I got two invites before Marynel's departure... is it safe to say i didn't get selected for either?
Trek Strategy
Sponsor
AG
quote:
Can you tell us if the NAS will come with any hard drives and what size if so? Just thought I'd be looking for specials this weekend just in case I need to purchase some or if I wanted to expand what y'all will provide.
The NAS will come with 2 drives so you can test RAID.
Trek Strategy
Sponsor
AG
quote:
I got two invites before Marynel's departure... is it safe to say i didn't get selected for either?
I wouldn't say that for sure. Meng is picking everything up now and sifting through what communication needs to be followed up on.
irock2513
AG
Meng said 2 1TB drives
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
quote:

He is getting settled into Marynel's old role. You should start to see communication pick up again. the ReadyNAS 200's are going out late this week, possibly Monday. The Mobile Hotspot probably will ship next week, and you may not have received much information about that one.

Thanks Travis - good to see you on the thread again!
khkman22
AG
Meng told me 2 3TB drives. If they're only 1TB drives, I'll probably upgrade with additional 1TB drives or to 2TB drives as I would like at least 2TB for data. Hoping it goes out tomorrow and I get it Friday so I know if I need to order any drives if there are good weekend specials. If they are 1 TB drives and I upgrade to 2TB or larger drives, then I will probably be willing to sell my 1TB drives if anybody is looking to do a 4x1TB array.
tx.agg.96
AG
Shipping confirmation. ReadyNAS 200 by Friday!
redd38
AG
quote:
Meng told me 2 3TB drives. If they're only 1TB drives, I'll probably upgrade with additional 1TB drives or to 2TB drives as I would like at least 2TB for data. Hoping it goes out tomorrow and I get it Friday so I know if I need to order any drives if there are good weekend specials. If they are 1 TB drives and I upgrade to 2TB or larger drives, then I will probably be willing to sell my 1TB drives if anybody is looking to do a 4x1TB array.
Maybe the size of the hard drives included depends if you're getting the 202 or the 204.
jay040
What is the email address the new invites are coming from? I need to monitor my junk mail folder.
Trek Strategy
Sponsor
AG
quote:
Some of you are getting 3TB's and some are getting 1 TB's. It had to do with inventory positions for us. There will be no rhyme or reason. I was told this morning that they start shipping today. I hope you guys love the new hardware. 1.4 Ghz ARM cortex is quite the upgrade for our desktop consumer line and should put us on par with Synology for a little less $$. The big advantage you should see is the cloud interface in terms of managing the data across devices. I look forward to all of your input.
Trek Strategy
Sponsor
AG
quote:
quote:

Thanks Travis - good to see you on the thread again!
My travel schedule ebbs and flows, sorry if I disappear for a couple of weeks at a time.

By the way, we just kicked off friends and family, European edition. So if any of your guys are in Euro-land, let me know and I'll send you the link!

Why do I have a picture of Chevy Chase driving around the traffic circle in my head? Look kids, ReadyNAS...
pnut02
AG
quote:
Some of you are getting 3TB's and some are getting 1 TB's. It had to do with inventory positions for us. There will be no rhyme or reason. I was told this morning that they start shipping today. I hope you guys love the new hardware. 1.4 Ghz ARM cortex is quite the upgrade for our desktop consumer line and should put us on par with Synology for a little less $. The big advantage you should see is the cloud interface in terms of managing the data across devices. I look forward to all of your input.
I've been impressed with the ReadyNAS OS updates so far. Interface seems pretty fast as well.
pnut02
AG
I just thought of one question that (to me) isn't very clear. In ReadyNAS OS 6.2.3 (and others) under Disk Spin-down / Spindown timer settings, does the blue box mean the disks are allowed to spin down (spindown on) and the grey boxes keep the disks spinning (spindown off)? I wasn't sure if "On" meant the spindown feature is on or if the disks are "on".
PooDoo
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Got the test unit yesterday. Some initial thoughts....

Setup is super easy. 5 minutes and you are up and running.
Camera video and picture quality seems pretty good.
Web app and mobile app seem reasonable so far. I haven't played with too many of the settings, but it seems to be decent.

The main question I have with the unit so far is the physical security of the cameras themselves. At $150 each, they aren't something you want to be easily taken. The mounting is... interesting, I guess. You are given a magnetic base to mount the camera (See here). This makes it easy to mount and point where you want it to be, but it is also super easy for someone to walk off with the camera. You need it to be somewhat accessible, since you will have to change the batteries at some point.
We are coming out with the security mounting arms in the next 30 days so that the outdoor mounting is more secure.

Hey Travis, do you know when these outdoor mounts are expected to be released?

TIA.
They are on pre-order as we speak. if you order one, you should get it within 3 weeks.

http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Security-Adjustable-Outdoor-VMA1000-10000S/dp/B00TTLGHSK/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1425572499&sr=1-4&keywords=arlo
I made my own mount for the Arlo... $2.99 bar clamp from Harbor Freight

Trek Strategy
Sponsor
AG
Amazing..
khkman22
AG
Can anybody with the ReadyNAS help me with installing ReadyDROP? I have remote access enabled, but when I try to install ReadyDROP, nothing happens. When I click on the Cloud tab while logged in as admin on my ReadyCLOUD, I can see the ReadyCLOUD, Ready NAS Remote and ReadyNAS Replicate.

When I click on the Ready NAS Remote in the menu bar after installing it, there is a ReadyDROP in the main menu, but it doesn't have a flyout.

I've tried installing like I did with Ready NAS Remote, but I can't see how to do that anywhere. All it does is take me to the ReadyDROP login screen.
redd38
AG
Woohoo, just got the tracking number, my NAS will be here Wednesday
jay040
What is the new email address that the NetGear person is using?
redd38
AG
meng.chhun at net gear
Dro07
AG
You forgot about me
Thats Not My Name
If we didn't get an email from Meng should we email him? What is the process?
pnut02
AG
If you didn't get an email you weren't selected.
Josepi
AG
quote:
Here is the process as I understand it.

There are a couple hundred in the F&F testing program. Whenever Netgear decides to test a product, they randomly select a certain number in the program and send them e-mail's. They wait to get responses back, and then randomly choose from those who responded to send out product.

For example, they may send out 50 e-mail's, get responses from 40 people, and send out 25 units to test.
Thats Not My Name
quote:
quote:
Here is the process as I understand it.

There are a couple hundred in the F&F testing program. Whenever Netgear decides to test a product, they randomly select a certain number in the program and send them e-mail's. They wait to get responses back, and then randomly choose from those who responded to send out product.

For example, they may send out 50 e-mail's, get responses from 40 people, and send out 25 units to test.
Ah, so now instead of everyone getting blanket emails, its just a select few getting them to try to test.
quyenngo26
Hi william1978,

Can you please email me any information on how to signup for the Netgear friends evaluation program?

My email: q_ngo@hotmail.com

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.