Free tech

452,579 Views | 2581 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by tfunk02
Trek Strategy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sponsor
AG
quote:
quote:
Lol, you'd be better served to PM Travis about it. And now I'm curious as well about the surprise.
I did that
But he is a better employee than we are and doesn't TexAgs much during the day.

Depends on my travel schedule, plus the fact that Black Friday is around the corner, which is kind of like our Super Bowl. I try to respond quickly.
2006EE
AG
quote:
quote:
Got a shipping notification.

Hope it has a hard drive.

There are two hard drives so you guys can have RAID.

Suck it people that got the first NAS.
wee_ag
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Suck it people that got the first NAS.
Scooley01
AG
No email on this one...ho hum.
JonLobb
quote:
quote:

oh man
ExPLK
AG
Just submitted my reviews on router and router/modem combo. Hoping I am selected for something else soon.
BEaggie08
AG
quote:
quote:

Sweet!
La Fours
AG
quote:
quote:

Sweet
adamsbq06
AG
Got my AC750 yesterday. Transferring a backup of my old iMac to my ReadyNAS then swapping it out. Looks cool.
wee_ag
AG
Soooo here's Netgear's recommended list of 4TB HDD with Amazon links to purchase - prices may fluctuate. (Sorry for those who weren't The Chosen Ones)
  • Western Digital - RE WD4000FYYZ - $279.00 - 7200 RPM

• Western Digital - Caviar Black WD4001FAEX - $259.99 - 7200 RPM

• Western Digital - WD Se WD4000F9YZ SATA - $240.99 - 7200 RPM

• Western Digital - WD RED WD40EFRX - $169.00 - 5400 RPM

• Western Digital - Red Pro WD4001FFSX - $239.00 - 7200 RPM

• Seagate - Desktop HDD ST4000DM000 - $139.00 - 5900 RPM

• Seagate - NAS HDD ST4000VN000 - $169.70 - 5900 RPM

• Hitachi - 7k4000 HUS724040ALE640 - $189.99 - 7200 RPM
La Fours
AG
Got mine on Thursday, connected it yesterday briefly to play around with it. Then plugged my other router back in. It worked very well, but the range was lacking compared to the AC1200 I have as well. But I look forward to setting it up in the back part of the house and having two routers set up. And the combine that with the NAS that should arrive on Tuesday. I'll get it set up and installed on Wednesday. Have to work Tuesday night. I may get it plugged in and set up, and then on Wednesday, start transferring data to it.
La Fours
AG
William1978 - any chance some future products will be the ProSafe gigabit switches? I'd love to test a 16 port one.
JeffAggie2012
AG
So.....

What is the surprise?
La Fours
AG
quote:
So.....

What is the surprise?
I think it was that the NAS will ship with 2 1tb hard drives.
Rule Number 32
AG
Anyone have any more luck with the Modem that was having the heat issues? I am going to do my review tonight but currently still having issues. Just wanted to see if anyone figured out something I haven't tried yet.

It's in an open closet with great air flow, so I can't figure out any way to get more air to it. Still having to reset it about every 10 minutes.
Token
AG
My modem sits in a 20 x 20 living room space with plenty of open air, so i haven't had any issues with heat on the modem or router
pnut02
AG
quote:
Anyone have any more luck with the Modem that was having the heat issues? I am going to do my review tonight but currently still having issues. Just wanted to see if anyone figured out something I haven't tried yet.

It's in an open closet with great air flow, so I can't figure out any way to get more air to it. Still having to reset it about every 10 minutes.
I received an update from Netgear technical support last Thursday. They told me they are expecting a new shipment from the manufacturer with the design changes in place within 7-10 days. Then they will notify me and send out the replacement. He mentioned something related to power levels fluctuating.

Have you had any response from Netgear support on the matter?
Trek Strategy
Sponsor
AG
quote:
quote:
So.....

What is the surprise?
Nope, it's something else that i will tell you about next Monday
JonLobb
quote:
quote:
quote:
So.....

What is the surprise?
anticipation!
Trek Strategy
Sponsor
AG
quote:
quote:

I received an update from Netgear technical support last Thursday. They told me they are expecting a new shipment from the manufacturer with the design changes in place within 7-10 days. Then they will notify me and send out the replacement. He mentioned something related to power levels fluctuating.

Have you had any response from Netgear support on the matter?
Correct, you should be hearing something from us soon. Some units had a defect, and they are going to replace them for you. Again, sorry about that one.
ExPLK
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
So.....

What is the surprise?
anticipation!
Oh buddy!!!

I didn't get selected for the NAS product, but I sure do like surprises.
wessimo
AG
Please please home video monitoring!
JonLobb
http://www.arlo.com/

so much want
bigtruckguy3500
quote:

I just got a phone call asking for my serial number and log file. He said they'll go over the data and likely send me a new one. But I had also reset my modem a few times initially, so hopefully there's still something useful in the log file.

Have you contacted them? Marynel also sent an e-mail just recently saying to contact them if you've been having problems.

Would also like to note that since the cold front has come through, I haven't had any connectivity issues. So I'm fairly certain it's an overheating issue at this point.
n_touch
I tried searching but could not find this answer on here. Which modem is everyone having a problem with overheating?
ExPLK
AG
Home monitoring would be amazing.
Bregxit
AG
quote:

so much want
Depends on if those batteries are replaceable. I can't see spending $170 for a new camera every 4-6 months which is what they are spec'd for on battery life.

Also depends on if they are usable with existing NAS devices. I'm not dropping $350 for something my NAS's are designed to do.
bigtruckguy3500
quote:
I tried searching but could not find this answer on here. Which modem is everyone having a problem with overheating?
CM400
Ark03
AG
quote:
quote:

so much want
Depends on if those batteries are replaceable. I can't see spending $170 for a new camera every 4-6 months which is what they are spec'd for on battery life.

Also depends on if they are usable with existing NAS devices. I'm not dropping $350 for something my NAS's are designed to do.

It uses CR123's - easily replaced.

I did read that you have to buy the entire unit - you can't use it with just the camera and a computer or your NAS. However, I'm hoping it can back up to something like the NAS in addition to the cloud storage advertised.
Bregxit
AG
Where did you see it uses CR123s? I looked all over those docs and couldn't find any reference to the batteries other than "4-6 months".

And that would suck about not being able to use the NAS if true. I would think NETGEAR would try to get their ReadyNAS users to pick these things up since the RNs have security cam software and apps.
Ark03
AG
quote:
Where did you see it uses CR123s? I looked all over those docs and couldn't find any reference to the batteries other than "4-6 months".

And that would suck about not being able to use the NAS if true. I would think NETGEAR would try to get their ReadyNAS users to pick these things up since the RNs have security cam software and apps.

Several reviewers stated it uses CR123's: here's one http://www.cnet.com/products/netgear-arlo-smart-home-security-kit/

On that CNET article, it states netgear is basing the 4-6 month claim on users only viewing the camera 4 minutes a day. How does that work? The cameras are still rolling 24/7, right?
AggieBusDriver
AG
Man, Arlo would be totally sweet to review. I've had a video surveillance system in our old house (traditional one) and have been needing to add one to our new house and this looks to be pretty awesome.
jbryan10
AG
quote:

The video on the website shows him replacing the batteries.

Home Security items were my #1 reason for signing up for this, so hopeful this is Monday's surprise!
Bregxit
AG
quote:
quote:

The video on the website shows him replacing the batteries.

Home Security items were my #1 reason for signing up for this, so hopeful this is Monday's surprise!

Thanks! I will watch it when I get a chance.
bigtruckguy3500
quote:

Several reviewers stated it uses CR123's: here's one http://www.cnet.com/products/netgear-arlo-smart-home-security-kit/

On that CNET article, it states netgear is basing the 4-6 month claim on users only viewing the camera 4 minutes a day. How does that work? The cameras are still rolling 24/7, right?
It's possible that to save battery life it only transmits what it records to the NAS once a day (or a few times per day), or when being accessed. Rather than constantly transmitting it.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.