Free tech

452,374 Views | 2581 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by tfunk02
JonLobb
How long do you want to ignore this user?
if anybody doesn't plan on keeping their verizon 4g router, or just plans to box it and put it away, let me know.

I actually want one of these to permanently mount in my truck.
Josepi
AG
I haven't gotten an e-mail since the NAS either. I'm jealous of some of you other guys.

I would love to test out that wifi range extender. We have a long house, and the wifi is great on one end and not so great on the other.
bigtruckguy3500
Got my CM400 modem 2 days ago, but just got it connected. Everything went smooth. How long should we use it before we start typing up reviews?
dubi
AG
The router I received asked for a review within 5 days.

I received it 1 day Fedex on a Friday and they asked for a review by Wednesday.
Kampfers
AG
quote:
The router I received asked for a review within 5 days.

I received it 1 day Fedex on a Friday and they asked for a review by Wednesday.

The router was a special case, because it was a gold box special so they needed the reviews before then. The email I got about the CM400 had no timeline attached to it.
dubi
AG
I was surprised by the rush so I am glad to know why. The NAS didn't come with a timeline.
ExPLK
AG
Are the surveys you guys are filling out to participate in the program for a specific device the same survey that you completed at the beginning (i.e. Asking if you would like to participate in the program and what type of products you are interested in)?
boy09
AG
I did the first survey and got nothing. Then got another email later about taking the survey for the WNR2020 router.
ExPLK
AG
Right. Me too. But the email containing the survey from the router had a link to another survey and the survey from the router was identical to the initial survey, which seemed odd to me.
wee_ag
AG
I had the timeline for the router as well, but had an extremely busy week and couldn't get it connected in time. Hope it doesn't hurt me for future opportunities.
bigtruckguy3500
Anyone having connectivity issues with the modem? I'm on time Warner in temple. It worked well for about 24 hours, now I'm having to unplug it repeatedly to get 5 minutes of slow browsing out of it. I'm going to let it cool down for 10 minutes and see if that makes any difference.

Edit: So after keeping it unplugged for 30 minutes things seemed to have resolved. Although I do notice that the ehternet light blinks orange when it's plugged into my router and my laptop directly, but my desktop it blinks green. But plugging in directly to my desktop I can't seem to get an internet connection (Windows 7), even with power cycling it. It may be because I did some custom setting (that I can't remember) to get my router running Tomato to work. But I'm going to see how the connectivity works for the next few days.
Big_Worm
AG
quote:
Right. Me too. But the email containing the survey from the router had a link to another survey and the survey from the router was identical to the initial survey, which seemed odd to me.

This. Me too.
Token
AG
quote:
quote:

This. Me too.
+3
kb2001
AG
quote:
Although I do notice that the ehternet light blinks orange when it's plugged into my router and my laptop directly, but my desktop it blinks green.

Check the manual for the router. For mine, green means gigabit connection, orange means less than that. Your router and laptop may only have 100M, while your desktop has a gige port
Kampfers
AG
Currently getting pretty heavy fluctuations in speed with this new modem/router combination. I'm usually 20 down/2 up. Right now on my XB1 I'm 10 down, 0 up with 38% packet loss and 288 ms latency (usually under 10ms). At speediest.net on my macbook I'm at 39 ms ping, 4.95 down, and .19 up.

Resetting the modem solved the problem temporarily. Speedtest.net showed full speeds of 20/2. However this didn't last long. Xbox showed 0/0, and then the internet for the mac went out as well.
Signel
AG
Honest review.. love the nighthawk router or whatever it is called. It has not had any issues like all the other netgear stuff i've purchased over the years.
drhockey14
AG
Any chance this program will open back up in the near future?
Rule Number 32
AG
quote:
Anyone having connectivity issues with the modem? I'm on time Warner in temple. It worked well for about 24 hours, now I'm having to unplug it repeatedly to get 5 minutes of slow browsing out of it. I'm going to let it cool down for 10 minutes and see if that makes any difference.

I've been having connectivity issues with the CM400 as well. My modem is located upstairs in a closet, so it is a PITA having to go up there to reset the thing every half hour or so. When it works, it seems to be pretty fast. I am just having issues keeping the thing connected. I haven't done my reviews yet because I wanted to give it a chance to see if maybe I was just having issues at the beginning, but it has caused issues all weekend long.
pnut02
AG
Same here with the CM400 on Comcast; been working with Netgear support. It's almost as if it cuts out when it warms up (even though there's plenty of airflow).
La Fours
AG
quote:
Any chance this program will open back up in the near future?
I'm pretty sure Williams1978 said earlier in the thread that after the first of the year it would be expanded and more automated.
bigtruckguy3500
quote:
Same here with the CM400 on Comcast; been working with Netgear support. It's almost as if it cuts out when it warms up (even though there's plenty of airflow).
I'm pretty sure the issue is overheating as well. I was streaming netflix and dowloading a bunch of files I had backed up to dropbox, and it was cutting in and out, so I sat there blowing on it for a few minutes and it stabilized. So now I've moved it out of the corner and somewhat underneath my ceiling fan. We'll see if that helps.
Kampfers
AG
quote:
quote:
I'm pretty sure the issue is overheating as well. I was streaming netflix and dowloading a bunch of files I had backed up to dropbox, and it was cutting in and out, so I sat there blowing on it for a few minutes and it stabilized. So now I've moved it out of the corner and somewhat underneath my ceiling fan. We'll see if that helps.
I'll take similar steps to place the modem in a more open area although I'm limited by the placement of the cable outlet.

Those having trouble, are you keeping it horizontal or vertical with the included (attachable) legs? Mine has been horizontal, and perhaps airflow would increase if it was stood vertically. I'll give that a go tonight as well.
Rule Number 32
AG
Mine is horizontal but it is hanging over the edge of a shelf where it has air-flow on all 4 sides. I honestly dont think you could get any more air on mine unless you put a fan directly on it.
dubi
AG
quote:
I honestly dont think you could get any more air on mine unless you put a fan directly on it.

I have a small fan in my wiring closet that holds my UPS, modem/router, and gigabit switch.
bigtruckguy3500
This modem is starting to tick me off. I came home today, no load on the modem all day, and I still had to unplug a couple times for increasing lengths of time (2, 5, 10 minutes) to get it to hold a connection. I e-mailed Netgear about it. I'll see what they have to say.
irock2513
AG
quote:

Ditto... But I just got a shipping notification for the network extender
Rule Number 32
AG
quote:
This modem is starting to tick me off. I came home today, no load on the modem all day, and I still had to unplug a couple times for increasing lengths of time (2, 5, 10 minutes) to get it to hold a connection. I e-mailed Netgear about it. I'll see what they have to say.

I had the same exact issue yesterday. I gave up on the modem and went back to using my xfinity modem last night, which i was really hoping not to have to do so that I could save monthly on my bill not having to rent it.

The router on the other hand seems to be pretty effective for a $30 router. I have no complaints at all about it.
Kampfers
AG
Moving the modem out into a less confined space seemed to resolve my issues. It still seems prone to overheat, but not to the degree that it degrades my service (yet).
Token
AG
i just got a shipping notification for the router!!! badass

this router

http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-AC750-Gigabit-Router-R6050/dp/B00KFD0O0I
ABATTBQ11
AG
I haven't gotten anything since the Verizon router
Bregxit
AG
I haven't heard anything since the initial NAS.
Josepi
AG
quote:
I haven't heard anything since the initial NAS.

Same here.
ExPLK
AG
I got a shipping notification but I have no idea what for. I have responded to an invitation survey for the router and one for the router/modem combo. Then I got a shipping notice.

Fingers crossed for the router. Not really wanting to change out my modem as I am pretty happy with the Motorola surfboard. On the other hand, the Linksys router I have is pure crap.
Aggiethruthicknthin
AG
Im using the xfinity modem again as well. My cm400 is out in the open and only works for 5 minute intervals. But when it worked it was much faster then the xfinity one.
ABATTBQ11
AG
quote:
if anybody doesn't plan on keeping their verizon 4g router, or just plans to box it and put it away, let me know.

I actually want one of these to permanently mount in my truck.
I'm not going to be using mine if you want it. Email me at username @gmail.com

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.