Free tech

452,569 Views | 2581 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by tfunk02
VonDownByTheRiver
How long do you want to ignore this user?
wee_ag said:

Welp...

Amazon Finally Bans Shady Practice That Messes Up Reviews
What they don't tell you is that Amazon is doing this because they started their very own early access review program and they don't want competition.
hph6203
AG
Yup, but it's more like a part time job where they actually pay (very little) for your opinion and you have to go to a testing center on occasion. Too high a price to pay for free stuff when they invited me.
devastor
AG
The one I got last week is asking for a review on Staples web site.
txag2k
AG
The last one asked me to post review on Best Buy.
cr0wbar
AG
Well- that was fun while it lasted. Can we finally nuke this thread by PB?
kb2001
AG
Here's the Amazon blog post from yesterday about the change

https://www.amazon.com/p/feature/abpto3jt7fhb5oc

They've had their own system in place for screening these for a few years now, and they're locking it down more.

Oh well, I haven't received any emails for quite a while, I'd considered it dead anyways
Reginald Cousins
S
Reginald Cousins said:

Amazon must be doing something about these reviews. A company I review for used to give me everything for like $1, but now you must buy it full price and upon review they refund the price in (their store only) credit. I bailed.

Called it.
Naveronski
AG
Not sure why we would.

Several folks are testing tech in another program.
Trek Strategy
Sponsor
AG
Hey guys,

I have a couple of updates. Sorry that I've gone MIA for a while now. They now have me running Amazon global sales and marketing, with 22 folks in my org. When I look back on the last 2 years since we started this, so much has changed. A lot of our success is because of you guys, and I mean that. You not only wrote reviews, but you gave us feedback, and feedback that resulted in some big decisions. For that, I thank you. You helped us also learn how to do this the right way, and we are now operating Amazon test and review programs in 7 countries around the world. NETGEAR is humming along in the world of digital commerce and marketing in ways that we never had done before, and you were a part of that with me. Thanks for putting up with our quirks and staff changes, and sometimes going months without hearing from us.

OK, so I know that you just want to know the updates, but thanks for letting me reminisce a little.

So you saw the news. We have to cancel our First Look / Friends and Family program FOR AMAZON. It will continue to live on for other retailers like newegg, for now. We will continue to use Amazon Vine and a product survey program for new products that uses your customer registration. So if you aren't a member of Vine, I would recommend joining. You might get a NETGEAR product from time to time!

Also, you saw the $50 minimum purchase requirement...

There's a lot of shady stuff going on with reviews around the world, so I think this is a good thing, but it sucks that we have to cancel the "Free NETGEAR by Aggies, for Aggies" program

As a parting gift, I would love tell you guys about some upcoming product launches that you are going to love, and the product will start shipping soon. First, there's Arlo Pro, which incorporates some actual security features like a siren, wider field of view, geo-fencing, solar re-charging, 2-way audio, and lots more. We're also launching an 802.11 AD router, for you mega-users of 4K video and graphics. Lastly, you might have already seen Orbi. This is our whole-home Wifi System that Smallnetbuilder just said blows away Eero and Luma in performance tests. There's even more coming next year in the smart home category that I'm excited about, so keep an eye out for what our labs are cooking up.

Thank you all, sincerely, and hit me up with any tech questions in the future and I'll try to help!

Travis
jbryan10
AG
william1978 said:

Hey guys,

I have a couple of updates. Sorry that I've gone MIA for a while now. They now have me running Amazon global sales and marketing, with 22 folks in my org. When I look back on the last 2 years since we started this, so much has changed. A lot of our success is because of you guys, and I mean that. You not only wrote reviews, but you gave us feedback, and feedback that resulted in some big decisions. For that, I thank you. You helped us also learn how to do this the right way, and we are now operating Amazon test and review programs in 7 countries around the world. NETGEAR is humming along in the world of digital commerce and marketing in ways that we never had done before, and you were a part of that with me. Thanks for putting up with our quirks and staff changes, and sometimes going months without hearing from us.

OK, so I know that you just want to know the updates, but thanks for letting me reminisce a little.

So you saw the news. We have to cancel our First Look / Friends and Family program FOR AMAZON. It will continue to live on for other retailers like newegg, for now. We will continue to use Amazon Vine and a product survey program for new products that uses your customer registration. So if you aren't a member of Vine, I would recommend joining. You might get a NETGEAR product from time to time!

Also, you saw the $50 minimum purchase requirement...

There's a lot of shady stuff going on with reviews around the world, so I think this is a good thing, but it sucks that we have to cancel the "Free NETGEAR by Aggies, for Aggies" program

As a parting gift, I would love tell you guys about some upcoming product launches that you are going to love, and the product will start shipping soon. First, there's Arlo Pro, which incorporates some actual security features like a siren, wider field of view, geo-fencing, solar re-charging, 2-way audio, and lots more. We're also launching an 802.11 AD router, for you mega-users of 4K video and graphics. Lastly, you might have already seen Orbi. This is our whole-home Wifi System that Smallnetbuilder just said blows away Eero and Luma in performance tests. There's even more coming next year in the smart home category that I'm excited about, so keep an eye out for what our labs are cooking up.

Thank you all, sincerely, and hit me up with any tech questions in the future and I'll try to help!

Travis

Thanks for the update Travis, it is great to hear it straight for the horse's mouth! Congrats on moving up the chain as well!

Unfortunately, Vine is an invite-only program so I'm sure most of us will sadly miss out on the opportunity to review these things. I am happy to hear the program will continue for the other retailers though and I look forward to getting the chance to test an Arlo Pro system for newegg *wink* *wink* *nudge* *nudge*.
wee_ag
AG
Quote:

Amazon Vine is an invitation-only program. Vine Voices are selected based on several criteria, but primarily on the helpfulness of their reviews as judged by all other customers and by their demonstrated interest in the types of products that are featured in the program. Customers who consistently write helpful reviews and develop a reputation for expertise in specific product categories are most likely to be invited into the program.
Looks like I need to start writing more reviews.
VonDownByTheRiver
After getting well over $600 worth of Arlos, I certainly can't begrudge or complain at this point. We appreciate you bringing us into the program initially Travis, and thanks for the update. Happy to have been part of improving Netgear's lineup.
wee_ag
AG
Well, hey, lookie-here.

kb2001
AG
Just got an email for the new router. 802.11ad capable

Does anybody know if there are any devices that use 802.11ad yet?

http://www.netgear.com/landings/ad7200/?cid=wmt_netgear_organic
pnut02
AG
Wow, that's quite the router. I wonder how well 60GHz signals will do in a real-world situation like our homes.
Naveronski
AG
Impressive. I didn't see the test for that, but one similar.
ExPLK
AG
I got the invite too. Fingers crossed.
chigger
AG
Is this still going? I haven't gotten invited to anything since the Spring or even before. Maybe last fall.
ExPLK
AG
Not through Amazon but through other companies like Best Buy - yes.
kb2001
AG
Just got the shipping notice

They're asking about Best Buy reviews now that Amazon has locked it down
bco2003
AG
kb2001 said:

Let me know how your testing experience goes with that 10 Gbps fiber port.
aneisch
AG
bco2003 said:

kb2001 said:

I thought you were being sarcastic until I looked at the specs. SFP+ on an AP? Wow.
jay040
Who are the emails coming from now? I'm pretty sure I'm just not being selected, but I do want to make sure it's not going to junk.
adamsbq06
AG
jay040 said:

Who are the emails coming from now? I'm pretty sure I'm just not being selected, but I do want to make sure it's not going to junk.
mine too...
jbryan10
AG
AdamsBQ06 said:

jay040 said:

mine too...

Still coming from Ben.Pool@netgear.com
bco2003
AG
aneisch said:

bco2003 said:

kb2001 said:

I thought you were being sarcastic until I looked at the specs. SFP+ on an AP? Wow.
100% sarcasm. I can't imagine many users being able to take advantage of that port. Maybe future fiber to the home implementations.
Trek Strategy
Sponsor
AG
pnut02 said:

Wow, that's quite the router. I wonder how well 60GHz signals will do in a real-world situation like our homes.
they are amazing if you have direct line of site. Worthless if not.
Scooley01
AG
I got into the Nighthawk X10 test, and I couldn't be more thrilled! I missed the confirmation email, so I was thoroughly surprised when it showed up at my door a few days ago!
TexasAggiesWin
S
Just got an e-mail from Ben, basically stating exactly what has already been discussed here regarding the Amazon Review Guidelines.

I was hoping it was a new product to review...
Mike92
AG
TexasAggiesWin said:

Just got an e-mail from Ben, basically stating exactly what has already been discussed here regarding the Amazon Review Guidelines.

Same here. I'm surprised I'm still on the email list. It sounds like if you have a blog/vlog or youtube channel you'll increase your chances for selection greatly. That rules me out.
jay040
FYI -

Netgear users advised to stop using affected routers after severe flaw found

An advisory posted on Friday in Carnegie Mellon University's public vulnerability database (CERT) said that Netgear's R7000and R6400 routers, running current and recent firmware respectively, are vulnerable to an arbitrary command injection flaw.

If exploited, the vulnerability could let an unauthenticated attacker run commands with root privileges.
The code to exploit the vulnerability -- effectively just a URL -- has been released publicly, allowing anyone to carry out attacks.

An attacker would have to trick a user into visiting a website that contains the code, such as an invisible web frame, to exploit the flaw. Adding commands to the router's IP address can open up ports on the router, such as Telnet.CERT advised users to "strongly consider discontinuing use" of the devices until a fix is made available.

The following products might be vulnerable:
  • R7000
  • R6400
  • R8000
Dro07
AG
jay040 said:

FYI -

Netgear users advised to stop using affected routers after severe flaw found

An advisory posted on Friday in Carnegie Mellon University's public vulnerability database (CERT) said that Netgear's R7000and R6400 routers, running current and recent firmware respectively, are vulnerable to an arbitrary command injection flaw.

If exploited, the vulnerability could let an unauthenticated attacker run commands with root privileges.
The code to exploit the vulnerability -- effectively just a URL -- has been released publicly, allowing anyone to carry out attacks.

An attacker would have to trick a user into visiting a website that contains the code, such as an invisible web frame, to exploit the flaw. Adding commands to the router's IP address can open up ports on the router, such as Telnet.CERT advised users to "strongly consider discontinuing use" of the devices until a fix is made available.

The following products might be vulnerable:
  • R7000
  • R6400
  • R8000

Pman17
AG
Wish I could test stuff...
bco2003
AG
TexasAggiesWin said:

At least you got an email from him. Looks like I've been removed from "the list."
Big_Worm
AG
Same here.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.