Free tech

452,453 Views | 2581 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by tfunk02
hurricanejake02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
Just got the cable modem email. Too bad I have uverse.
I would much rather have U-Verse than any free cable modem that sent me back to Comcast...
Token
AG
Just got the cable modem email
Caliber
AG
Got the cable modem email, but I'll be passing b/c I have Uverse
JonLobb
I'm hunting in South Dakota right now and REALLY wish I had that 4G router. The hotel wifi is garbage and I've been tethering to my phone to do work at night.
Scooley01
AG
You can buy mine once the month is over and I've done my review
Token
AG
Do you get to keep the stuff after you do the review?
2006EE
AG
quote:
Do you get to keep the stuff after you do the review?
Yes.
Token
AG
Well if I get the modem after doing that survey for it, I'm canceling my order for the Motorola surfboard that I'm still waiting for Amazon to ship
pnut02
AG
William, what was the email for Netgear technical support? I'm thinking this is more of a Comcast or signal issue. I was able to successfully install, activate the CM400 on Comcast, and use it for 3 hours without issues (including Netflix, some BF4, and speed tests). After that it was all downhill. I have a feeling it is more of a Comcast or line issue.

When I started having the issue, the upstream or internet LED was flashing (sometimes one, sometimes the other). It's almost as if a corrupted configuration was downloaded. I can unplug the power, plug back in, and it works for a few minutes (everything syncs up), then back to searching for an upstream channel or sync issue.

I tried to connect it directly to the main Comcast feed for my house with the same results. I'm assuming it is more signal-sensitive than my old Linksys CM100 DOCSIS 2 modem that has been rock solid for 3 years. It appears I'm getting a lot of uncorrectables; on the latest logs, I'm getting a lot of T3/T4? timeouts. Very strange.
Trek Strategy
Sponsor
AG
Hey everyone, sorry for the hiatus. I've been traveling and in lots of meetings for the past couple of weeks.

I wanted to give you all the update that i had some conversations with the program owners, and we are working towards fine-tuning the program, putting some metrics and tools in place to do a better job of tracking your correspondence, sharing the freebies more evenly, and trying to do a better job communicating. I know for a fact that more products will be pumped into this for Q4. As far as the better communication, that might take until January. I've requested some time from the IT group to help us make this more sophisticated, but that will take some time.

Anyhow, I hope you are all enjoying this and I will do my best today to respond to your questions for the past couple of weeks. Gosh, I feel like I'm doing one of Looch's Q&A threads. Anyone want to nominate this for a weekly article? I'm sure the premium pub would love to read all of this, especially since not much is going on with our football team.
Trek Strategy
Sponsor
AG
quote:
Got my r7500 installed tonight as well behind my uverse modem. Only thing I did was manually disable wireless on the uverse modem. Already a noticeable improvement in performance on my home network!
You guys might want to check out amazon's deal of the day tomorrow. wink wink
adamsbq06
AG
yea i haven't received anything to test since the initial NAS. I am looking forward to testing some more product!
Trek Strategy
Sponsor
AG
quote:
I have submitted 3 responses to the survey and have not received 1 email at all. Not even acknowledging that I responded to the original survey. The survey said I would receive an email shortly.

Still nothing... Disappointed.
If you haven't already, will you PM me with your Amazon username or email? I'm going to look into those of you who are not getting to test anything, this week.
Trek Strategy
Sponsor
AG
quote:
I wish I would have gotten in on the NAS project...sounds really neat, but I can't justify/afford full price
There will be a really small number of NAS opportunities yet to come this month, and more in jan/Feb. Keep an eye out, because those will go fast.
adamsbq06
AG
PM sent! Thanks wiliam1978
Trek Strategy
Sponsor
AG
quote:
For what it's worth, should Suddenlink deliver later this year and next, B/CS market testers would be great for the Em500V cable modems, or the HMG7000 media gateway or the C7000B media gateway...
i hear you. unfortunately those products are built to spec for the service providers, and those projects exist outside my realm of influence. That group does not have a F&F program.
Trek Strategy
Sponsor
AG
quote:
Just got an email for the WNR2020 wifi router

I'm passing though, as I'm already using a Nighthawk R7000. I don't know if accepting products hurts or helps you chances of being considered for the next one though.

Maybe Travis can answer this. Would Netgear rather have people who they can count on to write reviews, or spread the free products around to as many people as possible?
it doesn't hurt your chances for future products. Although if you turn down every single product, they might remove you from consideration at some point.
To your other question, a little bit of both. The reviews are the necessary by-product of the program, and essential, but we want happy customers too, and good feedback.
Trek Strategy
Sponsor
AG
quote:
quote:
Sell it?

I didn't know if we could. I haven't read the thread the whole way through because I didn't get in on the last one that everyone was talking about.
Hey guys, the product is yours once you have it. use it, give it to a friend, sell it, whatever you want. You'll have to sell it as "used", but other than that, do whatever you want.
Trek Strategy
Sponsor
AG
quote:
quote:
Question..... And I don't mean to be critical of the Negear router.

I have had an ASUS AC router for most of the past year. Based on specs, the Netgear seems to be a step backwards for us early adopters. Is wireless N what the typical consumer purchases? I see that Netgear model was first released on Amazon in June 2014.

N routers are the most common because almost no manufacturers are putting AC wifi cards in devices. Apple just announced AC wifi in their new stuff today. But I don't know of any others. I know you can't go to Best Buy and buy a computer or other device with AC other than routers or usb wifi dongles. So you aren't getting the AC performance from your current devices.

Also, this is a reconfigured N router for Netgear with the external antennas on the router.

But yes, it is a step backwards, and it won't have near the range that your AC router has.
this program is for all types of products, not just new ones or the lastest and greatest. The RN104 has been around for a couple of years. If you have the nighthawk, I recommend keeping that one and giving the other, less premium products to your friends.
Trek Strategy
Sponsor
AG
quote:
I am wondering, if I missed out on the first survey, but filled out the second survey that Travis posted, am I signed up for this program?
PM your amazon username or email and I will look you up.
Trek Strategy
Sponsor
AG
quote:
William, what was the email for Netgear technical support? I'm thinking this is more of a Comcast or signal issue. I was able to successfully install, activate the CM400 on Comcast, and use it for 3 hours without issues (including Netflix, some BF4, and speed tests). After that it was all downhill. I have a feeling it is more of a Comcast or line issue.

When I started having the issue, the upstream or internet LED was flashing (sometimes one, sometimes the other). It's almost as if a corrupted configuration was downloaded. I can unplug the power, plug back in, and it works for a few minutes (everything syncs up), then back to searching for an upstream channel or sync issue.

I tried to connect it directly to the main Comcast feed for my house with the same results. I'm assuming it is more signal-sensitive than my old Linksys CM100 DOCSIS 2 modem that has been rock solid for 3 years. It appears I'm getting a lot of uncorrectables; on the latest logs, I'm getting a lot of T3/T4? timeouts. Very strange.
FOR ANYONE WHO GOT A CABLE MODEM OR CABLE MODEM ROUTER TO TEST:
These products are brand new, and out of all the products we make, these are the most costly and time intensive products, due to the certification hoops that the cable guys put us through. Right now, if you have charter or cox (which you shouldn't), it won't work. marynel should have been clear in the email to you. Nevertheless, Comcast made a change to their network provisioning without telling us, after they certified us. Annoying. In any case, we are troubleshooting the issue and will send out a firmware update when it's ready. Please just hang on to the unit for now. I'll see if I can get Marynel to send something out with instructions for how to upgrade.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
I just got my cm400 in last night and will try to set it up on Time Warner tonight. The issue is only with Comcast correct?
ABATTBQ11
AG
If we're currently testing something, are we eligible to test other products at the same time? I'm testing a Verizon 4G LTE router, but I'd really like to test a router not tied to a provider. The only negative that I have for the router I'm testing is that the rates from Verizon to continue using it are just stupid.
ABATTBQ11
AG
quote:
quote:
Got my r7500 installed tonight as well behind my uverse modem. Only thing I did was manually disable wireless on the uverse modem. Already a noticeable improvement in performance on my home network!
Looking right now. I really wanted one of these.
BEaggie08
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Looking right now. I really wanted one of these.
What are you looking at? He said to look tomorrow...
Kampfers
AG
quote:
I just got my cm400 in last night and will try to set it up on Time Warner tonight. The issue is only with Comcast correct?
Mine works on TWC w/no problems
Trek Strategy
Sponsor
AG
quote:
yes, should be.
Trek Strategy
Sponsor
AG
quote:
If we're currently testing something, are we eligible to test other products at the same time? I'm testing a Verizon 4G LTE router, but I'd really like to test a router not tied to a provider. The only negative that I have for the router I'm testing is that the rates from Verizon to continue using it are just stupid.
Absolutely.

Regarding Verizon's data rates, i didn't realize the rates were so bad. Stay tuned for a totally "out of the box" idea coming from us in late November. It's going to be a small test but F&F will be a prime candidate for reviewing and depending on what market you live in, could solve all your problems.
Mike92
AG
I just posted my review of the WNR2020v2 WiFi router. It really is a good basic router for the price. I"m impressed by the Genie app too. It's good to hear that there might be some more NAS opportunities. I'm still kicking myself for overlooking the first NAS email.
Trek Strategy
Sponsor
AG
quote:
Quick Poll:

How many of you are hesitant to buy a mobile hotspot because you don't want to add another device to your post-paid plan with your service provider (Verizon)?

If there were an option for a truly "pay as you go" data plan where you never lose that data and you only re-fill the device when you need the data, would you pay more up front ($199 for a device, but extremely discounted data) and purchase that device?
pnut02
AG
quote:
Nevertheless, Comcast made a change to their network provisioning without telling us, after they certified us. Annoying. In any case, we are troubleshooting the issue and will send out a firmware update when it's ready. Please just hang on to the unit for now. I'll see if I can get Marynel to send something out with instructions for how to upgrade.

Thanks for the clarification. Being pretty technical, I was trying to figure out what changed and was about ready to pull my hair out. I'll hang tight.

I appreciate what you have done for me (and fellow Aggies).
Scooley01
AG
My hesitance to make the Hotspot purchase is the commitment. The times when I'd use it are few and far between, so it's hard to justify a monthly payment. If it was truly pay-as-you-go, I'd be much more interested.
Aggie71013
AG
I would be more inclined to purchase a hotspot on truly pay-as-you-go model. The price of the device would ultimately make or break my decision. I would use the device sparingly, so the cost would have to be amortized over a very long period of time to justify the upfront price.
ABATTBQ11
AG
quote:
quote:
Quick Poll:

How many of you are hesitant to buy a mobile hotspot because you don't want to add another device to your post-paid plan with your service provider (Verizon)?

If there were an option for a truly "pay as you go" data plan where you never lose that data and you only re-fill the device when you need the data, would you pay more up front ($199 for a device, but extremely discounted data) and purchase that device?
Is the MBR1515 (what I'm reviewing) meant for home use, or as a mobile hotspot? I can't imagine using it as a mobile hotspot with its range and the need to be plugged in. A Jetpack would be much more appropriate for use outside the house.

Pay as you go isn't very realistic with a router like the MBR1515 if it is intended for your home. I'm using 70 gigs a month through my current provider. Based on the pricing options I'm seeing from Verizon, a plan that would meet that is going to be ungodly expensive. It would be better to get a wired connection through Uverse or Comcast or Time Warner and wifi router. The plan would be cheaper, even with setup fees and equipment rental fees, and there would be no data cap. I don't know how the speed would compare, but I'm pretty sure it would be somewhat close. The only way for it to be realistic would be for Verizon to offer an affordable unlimited data plan specifically for routers like the MBR1515 and just every hotspot like their Jetpacks.

The only market I can see for the MBR1515 is where you don't have any other providers willing to give you a wired connection and no other wireless providers like Sprint, and that has to be a pretty small market.
Josepi
AG
Like a few of the other posters, I would be open tu use a pay as you go hotspot if the price was right in the device. I have the need for a mobile hotspot about once or twice a month, so a monthly plan makes no sense for me.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.