Free tech

452,552 Views | 2581 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by tfunk02
dubi
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
I would be more inclined to purchase a hotspot on truly pay-as-you-go model. The price of the device would ultimately make or break my decision. I would use the device sparingly, so the cost would have to be amortized over a very long period of time to justify the upfront price.

+1
hurricanejake02
AG
For individual use, a jetpack-style hotspot device is great, and true pay as you go would be ideal, especially for those that are not under contract, use pre-pay phones, or have a work phone and don't need an individual line. My only concern about a higher up-front cost is the amount of usage vs. the life cycle of the technology. At a low usage point, it makes more financial sense to use the hotspot feature on your smartphone.

Now, for commercial applications, such as a small construction business, or someone who works in varied remote locations, or for rural home usage, where running a line to the house is cost-prohibitive, a 4G router like this would be a great solution. I'd still prefer true pre-paid, but an unlimited month-to-month plan wouldn't be major heartburn for this usage.

Hell, a 4G router like this, plus a good antenna for local channels, and I might be able to kill off direcTV at the hunting camp...
nwspmp
A few months ago I drove to Las Vegas for a wedding and vacation. Along the way, my fiance and I had an AT&T cell phone with hotspot (mine), a T-Mobile phone with hotspot (hers) and I bought (for about $75) a Virgin Mobile 4G LTE hotspot. The general idea was that at no point along the trip should we be entirely out of cell range, and due to the overlapping coverages we weren't.

The Virgin Mobile setup used a pre-paid data amount, which worked great. The only problem was that if you didn't use the data allotment, it expired. If there were a way to pay a set amount for a given bucket of data that doesn't expire, I'd feel a LOT more value, as a separated hotspot for my use would be only when my cell phone couldn't get signal, and would be from a different vendor with different tower coverage.
Krussian09
AG
quote:
My hesitance to make the Hotspot purchase is the commitment. The times when I'd use it are few and far between, so it's hard to justify a monthly payment. If it was truly pay-as-you-go, I'd be much more interested.

+1
Trek Strategy
Sponsor
AG
Thanks guys, we'll use your feedback. Stay tuned for a cool new product that I have a feeling, some of you will be interested in.
Ganondorf
AG
quote:
I would be more inclined to purchase a hotspot on truly pay-as-you-go model. The price of the device would ultimately make or break my decision. I would use the device sparingly, so the cost would have to be amortized over a very long period of time to justify the upfront price.

This.
JeffAggie2012
AG
quote:
Thanks guys, we'll use your feedback. Stay tuned for a cool new product that I have a feeling, some of you will be interested in.
When should we start looking for the email?
pnut02
AG
One market I think consumers could benefit more from is an over-the-air (OTA) DVR, without a monthly subscription, and with a major company backing. Especially now that more and more people are cutting the cord. Tivo just recently released one model, but you have to pay a monthly fee. There have also been other smaller companies that have released models, but on a smaller scale with not as much technical/programming experts. A user-changeable hard drive would be a plus.
nwspmp
quote:
One market I think consumers could benefit more from is an over-the-air (OTA) DVR, without a monthly subscription, and with a major company backing. Especially now that more and more people are cutting the cord. Tivo just recently released one model, but you have to pay a monthly fee. There have also been other smaller companies that have released models, but on a smaller scale with not as much technical/programming experts. A user-changeable hard drive would be a plus.

There is one that I've been following. It's called the Tablo TV and works well (supposedly) with Plex and AppleTV and Roku devices.

http://www.tablotv.com/how-tablo-works/

You can forgo the subscription EPG services (which are surprisingly expensive, even before them or TiVo or whatnot; I had an older TitanTV subscription for my first MythTV setup) and still work just fine, but will only have 24 hours of advance EPG and a few other features.

Supposedly, someone has worked out a transcoder for the TS files that it stores and they can be transferred off the DVR device. This is one of those devices that come the new year, if they're still around (meaning it'll have been at least 6 months since I found out about them and they haven't failed) I'll be picking one up.
La Fours
AG
quote:
quote:
I am wondering, if I missed out on the first survey, but filled out the second survey that Travis posted, am I signed up for this program?
PM your amazon username or email and I will look you up.

PM sent. Thanks.
Trek Strategy
Sponsor
AG
quote:
quote:
When should we start looking for the email?
It will be at least 6 weeks
pnut02
AG
quote:
There is one that I've been following. It's called the Tablo TV and works well (supposedly) with Plex and AppleTV and Roku devices.

http://www.tablotv.com/how-tablo-works/

You can forgo the subscription EPG services (which are surprisingly expensive, even before them or TiVo or whatnot; I had an older TitanTV subscription for my first MythTV setup) and still work just fine, but will only have 24 hours of advance EPG and a few other features.

Supposedly, someone has worked out a transcoder for the TS files that it stores and they can be transferred off the DVR device. This is one of those devices that come the new year, if they're still around (meaning it'll have been at least 6 months since I found out about them and they haven't failed) I'll be picking one up.
Thanks for sharing. I wish the price point was a little lower; if I could find one for $100/125 with/without a drive I would probably be more inclined to jump on it. The market options are pretty limited.
pnut02
AG
Now I realize why they wanted the WNR2020 reviewed by Wednesday :-)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/goldbox/
Aggiethruthicknthin
AG
got a cable modem in on tuesday from this.
pnut02
AG
William, do you have an ETA on the CM400 firmware update for Comcast?
Trek Strategy
Sponsor
AG
quote:
Now I realize why they wanted the WNR2020 reviewed by Wednesday :-)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/goldbox/
Bingo
Trek Strategy
Sponsor
AG
quote:
"There was an issue where Comcast made some changes and the web activation was not working. This
issue is expected to be fixed by Comcast by Sunday evening."

this is the internal stance, although I would wait for Marynel's email today for the official instructions. Comcast doesn't always fix things when they say they will.

if you got a cable modem and it's working fine, then go ahead post your review if you are able. If you haven't set it up yet, I would wait for Marynel's instructions to avoid headaches with the web activation.
Bregxit
AG
I really want to pull the trigger on a couple of R8000's but can't figure out if bridge mode is available or not. Netgear Team says on Amazon it has it but the product FAQ on the Netgear site says it doesn't. Waiting for chat...
Bregxit
AG
And like that my dreams of R8000s is dashed. No bridge mode right now. And they're on sale. Sad panda.
pnut02
AG
quote:
quote:
"There was an issue where Comcast made some changes and the web activation was not working. This

this is the internal stance, although I would wait for Marynel's email today for the official instructions. Comcast doesn't always fix things when they say they will.

if you got a cable modem and it's working fine, then go ahead post your review if you are able. If you haven't set it up yet, I would wait for Marynel's instructions to avoid headaches with the web activation.
Thanks. I was able to get it activated and it worked for 3 hours or so, but after those 3 hours I was having all sorts of issues. I'll wait for further instructions.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Thanks. I was able to get it activated and it worked for 3 hours or so, but after those 3 hours I was having all sorts of issues. I'll wait for further instructions.
I've had some issues with mine on TWC... After rebooting, it works for about 5-10 minutes, and then it cuts out intermittently every 5 or so minutes. I troubleshooted with TWC tech support for a while, but they couldn't figure out the issue. TWC had me use my old modem (Linksys CM100, Docsis 2.0), for the time being. No issues since using the CM100. I sent an email to Marynel asking how to proceed.
Ganondorf
AG
Is anyone keeping the 4G LTE router? It seems like a hassle because of the Verizon sim card and the transfer of liability.
Token
AG
Hey William, i've filled out the second survey on the router. How many days do you think it would be until i know that i would have one coming my way?
Josepi
AG
What is this second survey y'all are talking about? I've only filled out the first survey that was in the original post.
TracerX
quote:
What is this second survey y'all are talking about? I've only filled out the first survey that was in the original post.
If you are picked to participate for a particular product you'll receive a second survey.
TracerX
quote:
Is anyone keeping the 4G LTE router? It seems like a hassle because of the Verizon sim card and the transfer of liability.
I'm using it as my router right now because it is giving me better coverage than my WNDR3300. I might try posting it on Amazon or eBay but it looks like they're going pretty cheap on there so I'd have to decide if it is worth my time to jump through the hoops. I'd be more likely to keep it if I had Verizon service but I'm on ATT.
Trek Strategy
Sponsor
AG
quote:
Hey William, i've filled out the second survey on the router. How many days do you think it would be until i know that i would have one coming my way?
Token, it should only take a few days to hear back, IF you are selected from the survey. If you aren't selected, you won't hear anything.
Nobody Knows My Name
AG
Has anyone tried to give DD-WRT a go on the WNR2020? The router is not listed on DD-WRT's site yet presumably because it is so new. I am just curious if there is a DD-WRT build that will work.
Token
AG
quote:
quote:
Token, it should only take a few days to hear back, IF you are selected from the survey. If you aren't selected, you won't hear anything.
well it's been three days so i'll pray i hear something. If not, it's ok, i'll just keep my surfboard modem ordered from amazon
bco2003
AG
Got an invite for this. N300 WiFi Range Extender

http://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/wifi-range-extenders/EX2700.aspx

ABATTBQ11
AG
quote:

Nope. No unlimited data plans for it.
ABKitch
AG
Just curious...for anyone that has gotten emails for multiple products, did you fill out the review on Amazon prior to getting the 2nd/3rd/4th? emails? I just finished my Amazon review for the original NAS, and haven't received any other emails for any other products. No biggie, but just wondering if others were getting emails for multiple products and hadn't done a review yet...
adamsbq06
AG
I haven't gotten anything since the original NAS not sure how these guys are getting multiple items to test. Maybe they lost my email address...
Ganondorf
AG
quote:
quote:

Nope. No unlimited data plans for it.

Are you just sending it back? What's the process for that?
ExPLK
AG
I got an invite for a router! Fingers crossed I get selected. My Linksys router is complete poop.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.