Free tech

452,375 Views | 2581 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by tfunk02
Aggietaco
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
flintdragon said:

got the invite as well...

what's the use case for this though? when I go camping?
Wireless off-site security.
khkman22
AG
Is Verizon still the carrier for the Arlo Mobile option? Or are they using other towers?
TexAgsAnon
flintdragon said:

got the invite as well...

what's the use case for this though? when I go camping?
Job sites, deer blinds, ranch, etc.
ExPLK
AG
Deer blinds!!

If they could make the batteries solar powered like feeders, they would make a killing!
wee_ag
AG
ExPLK said:

Deer blinds!!

If they could make the batteries solar powered like feeders, they would make a killing!
They have a solar option for the newer Arlos
DivotMaker80
AG
DivotMaker80 said:

DivotMaker80 said:

Ganondorf said:

That ship sailed for both of us. He told me the same and I never heard back after emailing him again.
Starting to think the same thing.

Sent Ben an email initially and he responded in minutes welcoming me to the program. I replied to the survey and then sent him some clarifying information about my current network and square footage. He said he was going to see if he could find an X-10 or an Orbi system to send to me. Sent him a couple more emails asking some valid questions and zero response to any of them.

I was really looking forward to the program, but it looks as if you and I have been duped.
Well, Ben finally got in touch with me and is sending me the Orbi RBK30-100NAS system as that is all they had left and would send me something better when they release new hardware later this year.

I will have to get the RBS50-100NAS AC 3000 add on satellite to have enough Ethernet connections for my PC and I realize I won't get the top speed of this satellite as it will default to the speed of the router which is AC2200. I would get the cheaper AC 2200 satellite, but I have Best Buy gift cards and credit that I will go ahead and use towards this system.

Anxious to see how much faster this is than my X6 AC 3200 Nighthawk router and EX7000 AC 1900 wifi extender with AT&T Gigapower.....

Ben ended up sending me an Orbi RBK50 and I added an RBS50 satellite to it. Below is my review on Best Buy. To say I am pleased with the performance of the Orbi system is a tremendous understatement.

Orbi RBS50 AC3000 Satellite - Flawless Performer
July 27, 2017

I purchased the RBS50 Add On satellite to go with the RBK50 system I already had to expand my coverage in the house. I bought this unit before installing the router and satellite because I wanted to bring them all up at the same time.

The reason I needed the additional satellite is because I have two PC's that are fed off of Ethernet cables. One is my Son's upstairs directly above my office and the other in my office. Another reason I was looking for a new WiFi solution was my cancelling of Comcast's 150 MBPS download/6 MBPS upload internet service. I was able to replace it with AT&T's Gigapower fiber-optic internet service with 840 MBPS download and 880 MBPS upload through the AT&T modem.

My previous router was the Netgear Nighthawk X6000 AC3200 router with a Nighthawk EX7000 AC1900 Exrtender in my office and an old Linksys extender in my Son's room. My office and my Son's room are 50-60 feet away from the router passing through several walls. The performance metrics below will highlight why I began looking for better networking equipment.

My PC: 150 MBPS download / 300 MBPS upload
Son's PC: 60 MBPS down / 65 MBPS up
iPad 15 feet from the router: 99 MBPS down / 100 MBPS up
iPhone 6s same distance: Same results as above.

Installed the Orbi system. The add on satellite synced flawlessly with the router as did the other satellite. A quick call to Netgear support got me past a sticking point associated with the Orbi app. I updated the satellite firmware, then the router firmware. I went to both PC's and measured the hoped for improvement. I was hoping to double my previous performance at a minimum. I was not prepared for the actual performance.

My PC: 643 MBPS download / 740 MBPS upload
Son's PC: 533 MBPS down / 640 MBPS up
iPad 15 feet from the router: 500 MBPS down / 550 MBPS up
iPhone 6s same distance: 375 MBPS down / 450 MBPS up

The improvement in performance is 4 fold to 9 fold better than my previous Netgear equipment which is only 3 years old. I am astonished at the performance. I check the performance everytime I get on my PC and it is rock solid stable at the numbers above.

The Orbi WiFi system is everything I thought it would be and THEN SOME. It is amazing technology and I can't wait to see what Netgear does for an encore!
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Still alive... got an email asking if I was interested in reviewing the Arlo Pro 2.
htxag09
AG
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

Still alive... got an email asking if I was interested in reviewing the Arlo Pro 2.

Got selected!
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Same here!
wee_ag
AG
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

Emails still come from Ben Pool?
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Yes
TexAgsAnon
For that Arlo 2, are you getting a base or just the cam?
irock2513
AG
In for the Arlo Pro 2... 2 cam system + base/siren.
TexAgsAnon
Just got the Arlo 2 survey, first hardware in over a year from them.
Vade281
AG
Dang I haven't seen anything in a long time.
PSN/XBOX/Origin/Epic/Steam/Uplay: Vade281
www.twitch.tv/vade281_
mickeyrig06sq3
AG
Just got the Arlo Pro 2 today. Time to figure out where to mount these things. Thinking doorway for camera one, now to figure out camera #2.
mickeyrig06sq3
AG
That built in siren...ow....
chigger
AG
Wow I thought this was dead. I haven't heard anything in a year.
jpb1999
AG
Just found the thread, can someone tell me what page number the link is on? I assume this is some sort of program to sign up for to test free equipment?

Also interested in someone's used Orbi if they have one just laying around...
Absolute
AG
Just got the arlo 2. So the program is alive.
chigger
AG
Well the original one is the first post. That has long been closed though. I'm not sure they are taking new reviewers now.
nukeaggie2000
AG
Just got asked if I was interested in this:
NETGEAR Nighthawk X6S Tri-Band WiFi Range Extender (EX8000)

Hopefully they select me.
cr0wbar
AG
dammit!
MaroonOut09
AG
I just got an invite as well.

I had no idea this program was even still going on.
trueaggie2782
AG
Got it as well but gonna pass this time. Doubt it plays nicely with my Asus router.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Got it as well
ExPLK
AG
Awesome to see Program is still going.
jbryan10
AG
Still going! Just got a survey for the Nighthawk Pro XR500 Gaming Router
flintdragon
AG
jbryan10 said:

same here. I haven't been selected the past few times though. I think they are being a lot more selective or maybe the program was reduced in magnitude.
jbryan10
AG
flintdragon said:

jbryan10 said:

same here. I haven't been selected the past few times though. I think they are being a lot more selective or maybe the program was reduced in magnitude.
Oh it was most definitely reduced. I haven't been picked for the last few either, but there is still a chance! This was a pretty dang great program before Amazon changed their policy.
kb2001
AG
jbryan10 said:

I just got this one also
Ganondorf
AG
Unexpected, hopefully I'll get picked. I was supposed to get the last arlo set but they ran out.
trueaggie2782
AG
Just got the shipping notice for the xr500
trueaggie2782
AG
Just received the router. This thing is a beast. I can't wait to set it up and start reviewing. Please tell me someone else received one of these.
Bregxit
AG
trueaggie2782 said:

Just received the router. This thing is a beast. I can't wait to set it up and start reviewing. Please tell me someone else received one of these.

Just you. It's a Chinese/Russian conspiracy to hack your network.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.