Free tech

452,596 Views | 2581 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by tfunk02
n_touch
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Just ordered 3 drives from newegg. They will be here thursday.
dubi
AG
buy.com (rakuten.com) has 10% off any tech purchase. The 10% off just gives you that much credit on your next purchase.

I ordered 2 x 3TB drives.
Bregxit
AG
Just posted my review for the RN104! I'd say all in all it is what I would expect from a black box home NAS solution. Great for the average user and for its price point.
JonLobb
quote:
Just posted my review for the RN104! I'd say all in all it is what I would expect from a black box home NAS solution. Great for the average user and for its price point.
one of the things I noticed is that it seems to have a lot of pro level feature just beneath the surface, but the interface and help manual don't provide any instruction on how to use them.
ABKitch
AG
Got my three 1TB drives on Friday and put them in...I have to say, as someone who has only limited knowledge of RAID, how it works, and how to create one, it couldn't have been easier. This thing sets itself up automatically (but takes a lonnnng time...like 20 hours or something to do all 3 new drives?) Now I'm running RAIDX, accessible from my home network and anywhere on the web, and have 3TB of total storage...not bad for $196!
ABKitch
AG
oh and someone else already confirmed this I believe, but the RAIDX does not format the original drive...so if you have data already on the one, it is fine!
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
Still need to get my review in, but haven't had a chance to test much functionality other than PLEX, which - as I mentioned before - is notably faster to load menus and movie pages than from my Synology (though I will say the Synology has a lot more stuff running, which is why I need to wait until I can sit down and really test this thing out).

All and all though, I've been really happy with it thus far.
JonLobb
I'm still very happy with it. It works flawlessly with my PC and over the internet. I have connectivity issues with my Macbook Air, but I'm attributing that to the Mac.

on that note, if anybody has any tips for settings that can help it with the Mac, lemme know.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
What do you mean by connectivity issues? My wife's Macbook Pro is connecting just fine.

I had to manually add it as a share drive since the "Finder" didn't find it, but it has worked flawlessly since then.
pnut02
AG
4 x Western Digital Red NAS Hard Drive 3TB IntelliPower 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" NAS Hard Drive for $400
hurricanejake02
AG
what's everybody doing with the 1TB drives they're pulling out and replacing? I don't have enough content to justify $400 on drives right now (although great find, pnut) - but if 3 of you wanted to sell off your 1TB drives for cheap...
pnut02
AG
I'm in the same boat, although I'm thinking about migrating four 1TB drives from an older Terastation Pro.
n_touch
Thats a good deal there. Just wondering if i would ever use that much space to justify the cost.
JonLobb
quote:
What do you mean by connectivity issues? My wife's Macbook Pro is connecting just fine.

I had to manually add it as a share drive since the "Finder" didn't find it, but it has worked flawlessly since then
it always shows up in finder, but it is iffy whether or not it connects.

It also tends to be fickle as to whether it wants to connect to the SMB connection or the AFP connection.

I don't know if the MB Pro has the same connectivity issues at the Air, which are well documented. Fingers crossed they fix it with Yosemite

I wish OSX had a "map network device" function similar to Windows.
adamsbq06
AG
OSX does...

http://osxdaily.com/2010/09/20/map-a-network-drive-on-a-mac/
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
quote:
I wish OSX had a "map network device" function similar to Windows.

It kind of does... Just type command () + K to bring up the "Connect to server" dialog.
JonLobb
quote:
OSX does...

http://osxdaily.com/2010/09/20/map-a-network-drive-on-a-mac/
oh nice, thanks.

I knew about Command-K, but I didn't know how to get it to automatically remap.
n_touch
I'll entertain reasonable offers on the 1tb while I decide if I want to go with the new deal that was posted.
adamsbq06
AG
quote:
I'll entertain reasonable offers on the 1tb while I decide if I want to go with the new deal that was posted.

$35
Ark03
AG
quote:
Where are you located? I may be interested if someone is willing to part with one in DFW.

Edit: $45
JonLobb
$50!
Ark03
AG
Has anyone created a bonded adapter on the RN104? Is there any reason not to if you have the ports available?
wee_ag
AG
Just got an email for something I can use!

N300 WiFi Router

http://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/wifi-routers/wnr2020.aspx
PooDoo
AG
quote:
Just got an email to test this guy!

Me too
bco2003
AG
quote:
quote:
Just got an email to test this guy!

Me too

Me 3. I responded to the survey. Hope I make it to the final round.
ExPLK
AG
I have submitted 3 responses to the survey and have not received 1 email at all. Not even acknowledging that I responded to the original survey. The survey said I would receive an email shortly.

Still nothing... Disappointed.
Bregxit
AG
quote:
I have submitted 3 responses to the survey and have not received 1 email at all. Not even acknowledging that I responded to the original survey. The survey said I would receive an email shortly.

Still nothing... Disappointed.

You won't get an email from the survey. That was acknowledged a few pages back.
SpicewoodAg
AG
I was invited in the program for a ReadyNAS RN104. Box arrived, populated with a 1 TB WD Red drive.

I have been using a DIY Windows Home Server for several years, mostly for backup. I was thinking about building a NAS, to centralize most of the data that needs to be shared in my home network. But my appetite for a DIY NAS is kinda low right now. Just didn't feel like doing the research, etc. So this came at a great time.

I just posted my review on Amazon. I like the box. Reviews on a variety of sites are not exactly stellar, but I think this system will serve me well. I didn't run any benchmarks, but key issues for me performance wise are responsiveness in general on the network and the ability to stream ripped movies in ISO format. It does all of those things well in a small chassis. The drive drays are great and it is super easy to add drives.

I added a 2 TB drive last week, and am adding another today when it arrives. Adding a 2 TB drive to the 1 TB doesn't add storage capacity - it adds redunancy and wastes 1 Tb. Adding the 2nd 2 TB drive ups capacity to 3 TB and adds data redundancy. The box is picky about the drives you can use, so I would not assume you can just add spare SATA drives you have laying around.

Thanks to the OP for giving us a chance to participate.
SpicewoodAg
AG
quote:
I finally picked up a second 1TB WD Red NAS disk

I popped it in and the NAS is setting it up into a RAID1 configuration right now. If I've heard correctly though I have to wait until this is done, then manually switch it over to a RAID0.

Why do you want to use RAID0?
Ark03
AG
quote:
quote:

I popped it in and the NAS is setting it up into a RAID1 configuration right now. If I've heard correctly though I have to wait until this is done, then manually switch it over to a RAID0.

If you don't care at all about redundancy, and all you care about is capacity and performance, RAID0 is the way to go. There's little hope of recovery if a drive fails, but if you have everything adequately backed up elsewhere, you may not care about that.
JonLobb
quote:
quote:

right now I only have 2 drives, so the speed is more important. I don't care much about redundancy at this moment, because it's mostly used to store movies and music.

In the near future when I can get 2 more drives I'll switch it over to RAID5, so I get the speed of 3 drives plus redundancy from the fourth.

As a note though, adding 1 more drive in RAID0 made an ENORMOUS improvement. The speed for single large files is about unchanged, maybe went up from 30MB/s to 40MB/s, but the speed when transferring lots of small files or navigating the file structure went up enormously. With one drive I tried to copy a folder of many many very small files, over 5000 files and less than 200MB total, and the speed was less than 1mb/s. (That's bit, with a b) WAY less. It was estimating an hour or more to complete just 200MB, unreal.

After I added the drive and switched to RAID0 that same folder transferred in just a couple of minutes.
JonLobb
I got an email from Newegg this morning,

the 1TB WD Red drives are on sale for $59.99 after promocode EMCWPWP25
Scooley01
AG
I wish I would have gotten in on the NAS project...sounds really neat, but I can't justify/afford full price
Bregxit
AG
Another point about RAID 5 or 6 being or becoming pointless can be found in the following article. It lays out the mathematics of how at a certain capacity threshold a lost disk will probably result in an array failure due to the probability of a URE during the rebuild. Of course this applies mainly if you are hitting 12TB or more capacity.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/storage/why-raid-5-stops-working-in-2009/162

ETA: WD Red drives do indeed specify 10^14 URE rate.
JonLobb
quote:
Another point about RAID 5 or 6 being or becoming pointless can be found in the following article. It lays out the mathematics of how at a certain capacity threshold a lost disk will probably result in an array failure due to the probability of a URE during the rebuild. Of course this applies mainly if you are hitting 12TB or more capacity.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/storage/why-raid-5-stops-working-in-2009/162

ETA: WD Red drives do indeed specify 10^14 URE rate.
that article applies to using 1 disk to protect 6 other in a 7 disk array.

the risk of this being a problem on a 4 disk array would be magnitudes lower.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.