Free tech

452,555 Views | 2581 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by tfunk02
adamsbq06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
i think the base station communicates directly to netgear and that's it... similar to the way the aria scales work with fitbit.
trueaggie2782
AG
There is no way to change the distance on the motion sensor, only the sensitivity. That can be changed in the app under the rules. From what I've read, the sensor picks up the change in heat signature. Unfortunately I'm having a heck of a time with this because one of my cameras is facing our driveway. Every time a car drives by, the sensor trips regardless of sensitivity. I'll have to position the camera where this doesn't happen.
Trek Strategy
Sponsor
AG
quote:
Travis, I finally got my Arlo system installed today and have to say that Netgear did a pretty bang up job on this product. With that said, I'm having a little problem. One of my cameras is outside and is hanging upside down. In the settings I have the "Invert Image" setting turned on so that the image is right side up. Everything looks fine until the camera starts recording. Once this happens, the image inverts back to upside down. After this happens, I look back in the settings and the "Invert Image" setting is still turned on while the image remains upside down. Any suggestions other than "turn the camera over" :-)

BTW, thanks again for allowing us to be part of this program.
Haven't heard of that issue, but let me check with the engineers. i know they pushed a new firmware update over the weekend, so make sure that you grabbed that one.
Trek Strategy
Sponsor
AG
quote:
Some quick questions (for William or any other user) before I post my review. Where do you change the distance for the motion sensor? I haven't seen anything that states that in the app. How secure is the network this is on? Can someone hack into it and watch if they want to? Unless I missed it, i haven't seen where I could change a password for the base station.
from our product manager:
Some quick questions before I post my review.Where do you change the distance for the motion sensor?

In the Rules area, under Settings, there's a slider bar that says "Fewer videos" and "More
videos" with a percentage bar - that is the motion detection sensitivity
feature. URL to the step by step kb article is below:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Knowledge-Base/How-Do-I-Adjust-Motion-Sensitivity/ta-p/41

I haven't seen anything that states that in theapp. How secure is the network this is on? Can someone hack into it and watch if they want to?

The transmission of the video is encrypted at all times both locally as well as
when videos are being uploaded to Amazon's cloud servers. When the video is
uploaded to the cloud servers, Arlo uses SSL encryption, which is the same
encryption level that is used for all financial transaction online.

Unless I missed it, i haven't seen where I could change a password for the base station.

To reset your password, click on"Forgot username and password?" on the login page.
heisatouchdown
AG
Got my C6300 and set it up over the weekend.

Going to use it for a few days before I write a review. I have noticed that whenever I change my modem that my internet and TV get weird with Comcast... hopefully this doesn't happen again. Last time it seems I got a defective modem, but Marynel was very kind in sending me a replacement.
irock2513
AG
got an email from Marynel!.... For a router.
trueaggie2782
AG
Does anyone know where the motion sensor is on the Arlo cameras?
Dro07
AG
quote:
me too!
Josepi
AG
quote:
quote:
me too!

Me three
agchino
AG
Pretty sure it is the little ball right below the camera lense
adamsbq06
AG
Which router?
khkman22
AG
I'm in the beginning stages of building a new house and was thinking of installing a security system. I don't know much about them as I haven't started researching them yet. Do the closed circuit systems that are hard drive based have the option to stream live video or view recorded video through an app? Are any of them motion based or do they only record continuously? If you can use an app, is there any yearly fee?

I'm just wondering how they compare to the Arlo system.
Josepi
AG
WNR2020
bigtruckguy3500
quote:
I'm in the beginning stages of building a new house and was thinking of installing a security system. I don't know much about them as I haven't started researching them yet. Do the closed circuit systems that are hard drive based have the option to stream live video or view recorded video through an app? Are any of them motion based or do they only record continuously? If you can use an app, is there any yearly fee?

My parents have one at their business. The cameras are hooked up to a DVR and only records when there's motion. The DVR is hooked up to the router and the guy that set it up set up a redirect form dvrlists.com to where they type xxxx.dvrlists.com and a login page comes up for their DVR and they can view stuff from a web browser. There is also a free app called superlivepro that they use.

I don't know much beyond that.
bigtruckguy3500
quote:
quote:
Will try to get my C6300 review posted up in the next couple days, unless there's a rush. So far this thing is great!
What are you replacing with the C6300?

I was hopping to eek out a bit more speed, but my current DOCSIS 3.0 modem and R6050 router are able to handle what I pay for. I like the idea of condensing the two products into one, but I could fit my current combo into the volume of the C6300 twice.
I'm replacing a CM400 (Docsis 3.0 router I got from this program). I haven't noticed a speed boost, but the router I'm replacing is a really cheap belkin that I flashed Tomato firmware on. So far I've been able to get a a stronger signal out of the C6300 than the belkin. The administration page is also easier to navigate and do stuff in.

The C6300 is a rather large device in height and depth. So if your modem currently sits on a narrow shelf w/o a lot of clearance, you might run into problems.

It does offer pretty fast wifi on the 5ghz band, if you're going to be doing a lot of wireless streaming and file exchange on your network. But otherwise, I think your current set up will probably be fine.
Aggie71013
AG
I got this router several months ago. It's basic, but has been rock solid.
jay040
quote:
Are any of them motion based or do they only record continuously? If you can use an app, is there any yearly fee?

I've only used the Arlo's mentioned here, but they record when they detect motion, and the default length of time to record is 15 seconds. I set mine to 30. I can use an Iphone App or log on to a web browser. There's a service that comes with Arlo, and it's 5GB of storage and 5 cameras for free. Once you go above the camera count or storage size it get's into monthly plans. only had the cameras for a week or so, wish I could help more.
ExPLK
AG
A week has gone by since the selected participants have received their Arlo units and reports of routers being sent have once again surfaced. I think it is time to revive my Arlo chant.

Arlo, Arlo. Arlo!
Caliber
AG
quote:

You can set up systems to either record on motion only or to record continously and loop the data. That length of time that you can record will depend on harddrive space.

The live stream and recorded clips are usually available via an app or webpage to monitor remotely. The apps are usually either free or possibly a one time fee (this is all assuming you buy your own system, not going through an alarm company for video).

The easiest method for wiring would be to run individual cat5 cables to every location you need a camera and back to a central spot where you would put your NVR (or POE switch if going with a computer based solution).
schwabbin
AG
Got the router email as well. Gonna give this thing a shot.
Trek Strategy
Sponsor
AG
FYI, we are about to start a new sub-program underneath the F&F program that is targeted to IT professionals. If you haven't seen anything from Marynel yet, keep an eye out.

She will ask you if you want to participate and create a sub group just for you. Products in this test group will be switches (Smart, Managed), VPN GB Firewalls, Access Points, and possibly a rackmount NAS.

If you get the survey, please share the link here as well.

Travis
aneisch
AG
Travis,

Awesome! Time to fill out my homelab
Bregxit
adamsbq06
AG
Awesome!
Dro07
AG
Got another email about the NETGEAR's WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router (WNDR4500)... let see what happens
trueaggie2782
AG
Same here. Crossing fingers
brewdawg
AG
A F&F program aimed at IT Pros would be awesome. I love the consumer stuff, but getting to put some network gear through the paces would be awesome.
adamsbq06
AG
quote:
A F&F program aimed at IT Pros would be awesome. I love the consumer stuff, but getting to put some network gear through the paces would be awesome.
Definitely agree. Managed Switches, routers, rack mountable raids... Oh Marynel.... Please email me. I am in IT. I would qualify as an IT Pro...
nwspmp
Same here. And thanks to my former company going out of business and fire selling their testing gear (we manufactured a network transport system) I was able to pick up some testing gear far beyond what your mid-level R&D/IT guy should personally own

Regardless, thanks once again Travis for letting us in on this and giving us a chance to test and provide feedback!
txag2k
AG
quote:

Totally agree!
Trek Strategy
Sponsor
AG
quote:
Travis, I finally got my Arlo system installed today and have to say that Netgear did a pretty bang up job on this product. With that said, I'm having a little problem. One of my cameras is outside and is hanging upside down. In the settings I have the "Invert Image" setting turned on so that the image is right side up. Everything looks fine until the camera starts recording. Once this happens, the image inverts back to upside down. After this happens, I look back in the settings and the "Invert Image" setting is still turned on while the image remains upside down. Any suggestions other than "turn the camera over" :-)

BTW, thanks again for allowing us to be part of this program.
trueag, this is from our product team that looked into this issue.

Checked with QA and they confirmed that we havenot seen this issue in the firmware currently available for download over the air (OTA). Is it possible to get information on which FW version this user is/was on? Also, which client was the user using to do most of their settings.

Let me know what you think.
trueaggie2782
AG
Sorry I didn't respond earlier. I found the spot to turn on auto update for the firmware after you mentioned it. I assume the firmware did update because I haven't seen the issue in a couple of days. Thanks.
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
Haven't gotten any emails from marynel since the modems that went out the same day as the arlo stuff. Is that normal? Hoping I'm still on the list if it is going to allow for a private group for IT stuff.
bco2003
AG
Yes, It is normal to receive an interest survey, but not receive the shipment info. If no shipment info, you didn't make the final cut (as seems to be a case the majority of the time).
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
Sorry bco2003, that's not what I'm asking. I understand how the process works - let me clarify a bit better.

I can't use the modems, so I didn't fill out the survey (and didn't get an Arlo invite).

I'm saying I haven't gotten any product offers since then (none of these other routers going around or anything). I haven't gotten any e-mails from Marynel since around the time of the Arlo stuff. Before then, I would get offers for modems pretty often (though I couldn't use them).

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.