Free tech

452,394 Views | 2581 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by tfunk02
Scooley01
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
quote:
The big thing I'm interested in is the long-term battery life...obviously no one will have opinions on that yet, haha.
Here's the deal on the batteries. Engineering discovered a problem with the algorithm that reports the battery gauge on the app. In certain climates, the battery meter will show 10% after a few days. I've been promised that the batteries themselves are fine, but they are working out the interface and hope to have that solved in the next week or two.

I highly suggest that you play with the motion sensitivity and settings. If you have it set to high sensitivity, and set it in an area with a LOT of motion, the batteries will wear down quickly.

Hope you guys like the product!
quote:
Everyone that is going to get this round of product should have received an email from NETGEAR saying that they are getting the product.

I'd love to play with sensitivity settings, but I unfortunately did not get picked it seems...that must mean that the project filled up in <30 minutes (or I got DQ'd somehow). Oh well, maybe next time! Thanks for the opportunity, Travis!
jay040
jay040
quote:
One more tip... The motion detection is really good within 10 feet, pretty good within 15 feet, and not very good after 15 feet. Keep that in mind when you are mounting the cameras. I wouldn't put them in a wide open space like a tree-fort pointing into the yard and expect stellar results.
I have a camera setup in my backyard, and I've gotten 6 email alerts so far from my dog walking past it at about a distance of 15 feet. She doesn't set off the sensor when she steps off our deck, which is closer to 20 ft, so those distance measures you mentioned seem pretty accurate so far.
ExPLK
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
The big thing I'm interested in is the long-term battery life...obviously no one will have opinions on that yet, haha.
Here's the deal on the batteries. Engineering discovered a problem with the algorithm that reports the battery gauge on the app. In certain climates, the battery meter will show 10% after a few days. I've been promised that the batteries themselves are fine, but they are working out the interface and hope to have that solved in the next week or two.

I highly suggest that you play with the motion sensitivity and settings. If you have it set to high sensitivity, and set it in an area with a LOT of motion, the batteries will wear down quickly.

quote:
Everyone that is going to get this round of product should have received an email from NETGEAR saying that they are getting the product.

I'd love to play with sensitivity settings, but I unfortunately did not get picked it seems...that must mean that the project filled up in <30 minutes (or I got DQ'd somehow). Oh well, maybe next time! Thanks for the opportunity, Travis!

Yep. Maybe they will give out another round like they did with the modems and routers. Thanks again Travis.
Trek Strategy
Sponsor
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

quote:

Yep. Maybe they will give out another round like they did with the modems and routers. Thanks again Travis.
Magic 8 ball says.... probably
Caliber
AG
They must have me slated out to get a NAS loaded to capacity with drives instead of Arlo. That would ultimately work out better for me anyhow.
Bregxit
AG
quote:
They must have me slated out to get a NAS loaded to capacity with drives instead of Arlo. That would ultimately work out better for me anyhow.

I'm hoping my third NAS will be enterprise class and fully loaded...and able to use CA signed certificates as well!
adamsbq06
AG
I got an ARLO and its awesome. I just can't stand to log into two different apps to see my security cameras as i also have cameras from AT&T digital life. Anyone interested in purchasing my ARLO? Make an offer. keep in mind I will be trying to pay for an AT&T camera so there is more or less a reserve price...
wessimo
AG
Nevermind
bigtruckguy3500
Just got an e-mail for the cable modem/router combo (C6300)!

I got the survey e-mail for the Arlo first, and then the C6300 the next day, so assuming she's going on that order I guess I'm out of the Arlo group. Either way, glad for the opportunity. Now my parents can get docsis 3.0 from my CM400.

ETA: Selection e-mail, just to clarify
Rule Number 32
AG
Ha, I know who AdamsBQ is now. I just saw your post on the fairfield group selling the Arlo system and came here to ask if it was someone from the texags group.
adamsbq06
AG
I tested it... I had every intention of keeping it infact. I just couldn't get past having to logging two separate apps to view my cameras. its a great product. I am working from home this week so i spent all day and night testing it. just got annoyed by having half my house on one app and half my house on another...
Rule Number 32
AG
Sorry, didnt mean to sound so negative in my last post. that was my arlo jealousy leaking out that you got to test it.
adamsbq06
AG
hopefully i can sell it for enough to get another outdoor camera from AT&T Digital Life...
ABATTBQ11
AG
Anyone get a cm6300 confirmation email? I responded 3 hours after I got it and haven't gotten anything yet.
pnut02
AG
quote:
Anyone get a cm6300 confirmation email? I responded 3 hours after I got it and haven't gotten anything yet.
No confirmation (yet)
dragons06
AG
Received C6300 both confirmation and shipping notice today.
Aggie71013
AG
I got confirmation and shipping notifications for both the C6300 and C400.
mlambert77
AG
I may get killed for this, but I actually received two Arlo units. One Friday and one Monday. I didn't know about the one Monday since I've had the flu, but found out earlier tonight when I opened the box. Already sent Marynel an email asking how to get a return label.

I love it. While I am worried about someone taking the camera, I have ours mounted up high enough they'd have to get ladder to do so, and I'd have plenty of time to get their mugshot.
bigtruckguy3500
quote:
Sorry, I don't think I used the right words, but I also got the confirmation email today and shipping confirmation.
schwabbin
AG
My buddy got the Arlo system so I decided to check this out. Took me a bit to read through this but it sounds like an awesome opportunity. Signed up!
pb488
AG
got the arlo yesterday and the amazon email today. excited to use it to find out how our dog always swipes things off the counter when we are gone. appreciate the heads up travis, and thanks again!
ExPLK
AG
quote:
I may get killed for this, but I actually received two Arlo units. One Friday and one Monday. I didn't know about the one Monday since I've had the flu, but found out earlier tonight when I opened the box. Already sent Marynel an email asking how to get a return label.

I love it. While I am worried about someone taking the camera, I have ours mounted up high enough they'd have to get ladder to do so, and I'd have plenty of time to get their mugshot.

Ummm. I'll save you the trouble and you can send it to me (I'll pay for shipping). I'll post the review on newegg and Amazon too.
ABATTBQ11
AG
quote:
quote:
Sorry, I don't think I used the right words, but I also got the confirmation email today and shipping confirmation.

Dang. Guess I missed out
kjcAg
AG
I received my C6300 modem/router today! (Thanks, Travis!). The wi-fi speed is super fast. I am having trouble connecting my external hard drive, however. It's a WD My Passport. When I plug it in, the hard drive is powered, but not recognized by the router. Any suggestions?
Aggietaco
AG
Received mine as well. Damn this thing is a chunk. Happy to test it, but I don't have room in my console for it to replace the existing netgear modem and router.
Trek Strategy
Sponsor
AG
quote:
I received my C6300 modem/router today! (Thanks, Travis!). The wi-fi speed is super fast. I am having trouble connecting my external hard drive, however. It's a WD My Passport. When I plug it in, the hard drive is powered, but not recognized by the router. Any suggestions?

Try downloading netgear genie and see if you can see it from the dashboard.
Trek Strategy
Sponsor
AG
Hey Arlo testers, how do you like the unit? Let me know if you are having any problems. If you don't mind, could you try to post your reviews on Amazon in the next 2-3 days?
Thanks, OP
txag2k
AG
Love mine and posted the review the day Marynel emailed me

Edit: forgot to say a big thank you to Travis for letting us in on this program, awesome!
trueaggie2782
AG
Travis, I finally got my Arlo system installed today and have to say that Netgear did a pretty bang up job on this product. With that said, I'm having a little problem. One of my cameras is outside and is hanging upside down. In the settings I have the "Invert Image" setting turned on so that the image is right side up. Everything looks fine until the camera starts recording. Once this happens, the image inverts back to upside down. After this happens, I look back in the settings and the "Invert Image" setting is still turned on while the image remains upside down. Any suggestions other than "turn the camera over" :-)

BTW, thanks again for allowing us to be part of this program.
bigtruckguy3500
Will try to get my C6300 review posted up in the next couple days, unless there's a rush. So far this thing is great!
Aggietaco
AG
quote:
Will try to get my C6300 review posted up in the next couple days, unless there's a rush. So far this thing is great!
What are you replacing with the C6300?

I was hopping to eek out a bit more speed, but my current DOCSIS 3.0 modem and R6050 router are able to handle what I pay for. I like the idea of condensing the two products into one, but I could fit my current combo into the volume of the C6300 twice.
jay040
We had several days of heavy rain last week, and my Arlo camera was out in the backyard getting soaked. It's held up fine with no issues.
kjcAg
AG
quote:
Try downloading netgear genie and see if you can see it from the dashboard.

No luck. It doesn't even light up the USB light on the front of the unit, even though the hard drive is getting power. I did try using a regular USB flash drive I had, and it read it just fine, so I think it has something to do with the settings on my drive. It's formatted as HFS+, which it is supposed to read according to the manual.

Otherwise, I really like it. The Wi-Fi speeds are quite a bit faster than what I had before. If I can get the hard drive working, I'll be really happy.

khkman22
AG
Some quick questions (for William or any other user) before I post my review. Where do you change the distance for the motion sensor? I haven't seen anything that states that in the app. How secure is the network this is on? Can someone hack into it and watch if they want to? Unless I missed it, i haven't seen where I could change a password for the base station.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.